I tried FE7 in the middle of an 3H playthrough and now I can't go back to 3H.

Riddleflip

Why are you playing a different Fire Emblem game in the middle of a play through anyways? What’s the point? 

Anyways, apart from whatever I already mentioned, glad you’re enjoying FE7. You’ll like FE6 and FE8 as well. A word has to go in especially for FE8. FE8 is the best GBA game, but don’t listen to me because I’m biased.

Blazing Sword's a solid game, I don't blame you.  IMO it's one of the better balanced in the franchise, and the stories of the three lords are genuinely more enjoyable for me than those of some other lords in the series.

I guess it's also that there's less downtime bogging you down.  You're always going from mission to mission.  As much as I do like 3H, the flow is mostly just "do mission >> do menial tasks >> fight in skirmishes >> do mission".  That's alright for a bit, but that kind of gameplay loop can feel tedious at times, particularly in repeat playthroughs and especially after playing for quite a long while.  With a lot of other FE games, particularly the earlier ones, it's just straightforward "complete the chapter", the only thing bogging you down being your own play style.  There is a certain virtue and beauty in that simplicity.

Anyway, hope the game is treating you Eligood.  I'm worse than Alois, I'm sorry.

Enjoy it, it's a great time! GBA era Fire Emblem is definitely some of the best (FE6 can be a little rough though).

53 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I guess it's also that there's less downtime bogging you down.  You're always going from mission to mission.  As much as I do like 3H, the flow is mostly just "do mission >> do menial tasks >> fight in skirmishes >> do mission".  That's alright for a bit, but that kind of gameplay loop can feel tedious at times, particularly in repeat playthroughs and especially after playing for quite a long while.  With a lot of other FE games, particularly the earlier ones, it's just straightforward "complete the chapter", the only thing bogging you down being your own play style.  There is a certain virtue and beauty in that simplicity.

I really feel this. I enjoyed 3H a lot, but I'm not sure the whole calendar system was the best idea, at least not the way they implemented it. I feel like it made the pacing a little weird sometimes. On the other hand, it obviously lends to that feeling of a lot of time passing and I guess you can just skip it anyway.

You know what I miss most about previous games, including the 3DS era? If you want to do the next story chapter after having finishing the last one you can just...do that. They had side stuff too, but they never had this obstructive calendar system that prompts the player to do monastery stuff, then auxilliary battles, then more monastery stuff, and finally progress the story. The player wants their units to get as strong as they can, so the option of skipping that stuff doesn't feel like an option at all when all of it is missable content.

Edited by Glennstavos