Is the Three Houses DLC worth buying yet?

Maddie

I just started playing Three Houses a couple days ago and I've never had so much fun with a gme since I first played Persona 3-5 and it might become my favourite game of all time once I finish it. I'm planning on buying the DLC but I'm not sure if it is worth buying yet or not or if I should wait until the side story in April. Are the new maps and costumes worth the price?

If you're going to get it anyway, you can just get it whenever you have the funds. I'm waiting for wave 3 myself because that's when the new characters get added. As I understand it, it's just bonus quests and outfits right now, no paralogues or story stuff. Also, it seems like they don't have firm dates for the DLC releases (unless something has changed). They just have deadlines where each wave will be released "by" that date, but the second wave came early so who knows?

Not right now, no, unless you're so excited about the upcoming content, even with our lack of details. It doesn't matter when you buy the pack, do it at your leisure. The loungewear is so ugly and the Academy outfits for Byleth are only worth it if you don't like Byleth's default outfit/s. The extra maps to play just give you double the rewards.

I don't think so myself honestly. Nintendo always does this, release a game and purposely leave out some features to then add some ONLY if the game was succesful (which it obviously was going to be) and then charge a lot of money for it and roll in the cash, it is a detestable business system. If you're an american with the money to spare (or have that impulse to spend money, americans I don't get you...) then just buy it anyways. Wave 3 is looking good.

About the cosmetics, there's an outfit for both genders of Byleth, which you can see here and here, some glasses for Byleth which look the same on female, and generic loungewear uniforms for Byleth and every students, the top half of which can be shown in this pic and the bottom half of which consists of shorts and socks, and the outfits themselves being representative of the house you're currently joined with.  For the most part, you'll only see characters in these outfits outside of battle or when they're classed as Commoner/Noble.

Aside from that, you also get a set of stat-boosting items (for movement, HP, strength, and speed, I believe) that are stronger than the ones normally available and there will always be tougher auxiliary battles taking place in special maps not available in normal auxiliary battles.  The tougher auxiliary battles don't actually contain new maps - they're just maps from certain paralogues and main chapter missions which aren't available in normal auxiliary battles - but they do offer more experience than normal auxiliary battles and more rewards.  Basically, think of it as the grinding DLC for this game.

Oh, and there's a new song, Corridor of the Tempest, which can be listened to from the main menu and be selected as auxiliary/quest battle music.  It's nice for breaking up the monotony of listening to the same music over and over again, but it is just one song.

@Ertrick36 I will buy it at some point when I have spare funds as I love the game so far but I was unsure if the maps were paralogue maps or something. Content wise I will have the other two routes to play through after the Black Eagles. I might do the church route but I really didn't like Rhea from the start and going against Edelgard will be hard since I actually agree with her actions. Also what support rank did I need to recruit students post timeskips? I had Hilda, Ashe and Lysinthia at C but decided to focus on the Black Eagles supports instead.

27 minutes ago, Edelgardian said:

@Ertrick36 I will buy it at some point when I have spare funds as I love the game so far but I was unsure if the maps were paralogue maps or something.

As of right now, the packs that are currently out only consist of auxiliary battles.  No new paralogues or even side quests come out until wave 3 and wave 4.  And we don't know if those will be worth the money.

30 minutes ago, Edelgardian said:

I might do the church route but I really didn't like Rhea from the start and going against Edelgard will be hard since I actually agree with her actions.

For one, the church route is pretty similar to Golden Deer's route.

For another, there are some things revealed in the other paths (particularly church and Golden Deer) that make Rhea's side more sympathetic.  Well, and she's nowhere near as unpleasant in the other routes as she is in Crimson Flower, since you aren't necessarily her enemy in those other routes.

Not to say you'll end up liking her.  Just that Crimson Flower is where she's at her worst.

If you're certain you'll get it at some point, then you may as well get it now, so that you have more time to spend with the (limited) currently available features. I bought it, I don't feel like the current content is worth the cost, but the leaks make Waves 3 and 4 sound worth it.

From the leaks, Waves 3 and 4 sound like they're worth the buy. The first 2 waves were really underwhelming, especially Wave 2's "Loungewear" attire. From the leaks, Waves 3 and 4 will include new characters, and new characters are great because they could offer variety and different strategies. Wave 4 sounds like the best of the batch.

@Ertrick36 I was considering doing Golden Deer next then Blue Lions then the church route but lore wise I'm not sure what the best order will be. Besides romance options are there any differences between male and female Byleth?

Edited by Edelgardian
Forgot question

10 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

I don't think so myself honestly. Nintendo always does this, release a game and purposely leave out some features to then add some ONLY if the game was succesful (which it obviously was going to be) and then charge a lot of money for it and roll in the cash, it is a detestable business system. If you're an american with the money to spare (or have that impulse to spend money, americans I don't get you...) then just buy it anyways. Wave 3 is looking good. 

Give me ANY source that they leave out content on PURPOSE. That's stupid, you know? The content is obviously not finished yet and it's just like addons or expansion packs in the pack. ADDITIONAL work they do to the game after release. Based that Three Houses already WAS delayed I'm pretty sure it's not already finished and content isn't leave out on purpose.

It's additional content which needs additonal work. And work has to be paid.

Edited by Hauke

The extra battles give you some serious cash. I just got two stat items and 12,000 gold, so I find that part of the DLC helpful. But I also bought it out of fear of the pass going away and I'll have to spend a ton of money to buy it separate haha. I say if you have the money, get it. Or at least get it before Wave 3. It's good to show them support and that we want DLC, maybe they'll give us more then just 4 waves!

20 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

I see people say this all the time.

DLC - for the most part is to continue to breathe life into the game - to allow people to continue to enjoy playing it (thus giving the company money) - vs. being done with the game, and then you re-sell it (as a lot of people do) and the company sees none of the money. 

Many game developers have flat out said that a lot of DLC options are generally things that they didn't think pertained to the main quest/story but they liked it - so they took the time to flesh it out/develop it more and then include it into DLC. (a lot of times sequels are born simply due to the fact that they had so many ideas that they didn't see the point of making it DLC, they would just develop it more into a second game - Hollow Knight's Silk song, and even Breath of the Wild 2 are two such examples).  A lot of it too is based on feedback from the game's initial release and they provide a good amount of content based on that feedback (and for the most part Nintendo is one of the few that do give a good chunk of free DLC).

most DLC that  Nintendo's every done (outside of the SoV one which they got ample crap for, and they seemed to have learned from) - has always been pick what you want (or a bundle),  lately the switch ones have been "buy everything for X" (and X is no more than what a dinner and a movie would cost you) to which - no one is forced to buy it. so i'm not sure why this is a detestable thing (or even a guaranteed money marker )

with that being said - I've purchased mine on Day 1. 

20 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

I’d argue that Nintendo is actually pretty good with DLC all things considered. The only games I feel they did poorly with are fates, FE Warriors(which is more so koei tecmo’s fault), SoV, and to a lesser degree breath of the wild. Every other DLC they’ve done like smash and xenoblade are well handled for the most part. You get a lot of new content for a reasonable price so I don’t see much of an issue.

@Ottservia Xenoblade 2 had tons of new items and blades and a prequel game for £20 and Smash DLC is amazing. I would have bought the Three Houses DLC soon anyway because it is looking like it'll be my favourite game of all time at the moment and I've only played half of one route so far.

14 hours ago, Edelgardian said:

@Ertrick36 I was considering doing Golden Deer next then Blue Lions then the church route but lore wise I'm not sure what the best order will be.

I don't think anyone really knows.  Although some have theorized that playing the paths in a certain order can sway your opinions more strongly - that playing Crimson Flower first makes you more sympathetic to Edelgard, playing Azure Moon first makes you hate Edelgard, and Verdant Wind makes you more neutral.  Aside from that, though... well, all I really know is that Verdant Wind/Silver Snow are where the big lore drops are - where you learn what Those Who Slither In The Dark actually are, and what the true origin story of crests and relics is.  Crimson Flower reveals some things, but it's a misleading amount of information.

It may be best to play Azure Moon (Blue Lions) next just so that you're still in the dark about the people manipulating everything behind the scenes.  But again, it's just subjective opinion.

14 hours ago, Edelgardian said:

Besides romance options are there any differences between male and female Byleth?

Cutscenes show the respective characters' genders...

Uh, when Dorothea loses her undershirt, she's a lot more skittish about telling Byleth if it's male Byleth (she'll just refer to it as "a light blue cloth", while with female she'll actually tell you it's her undershirt), and if you tell her you'll go looking for it with her as a male, she'll be embarrassed and you won't get a bond boost with her.

A few bi-gendered S-support endings have slightly different stills (and I mean, they're very slightly different, and it's only, like, two of them).  But that's about it, I think even the dialogue is the exact same between the two genders for all S-supports that are applicable.

And males and females have a few exclusive classes to themselves.  Despite males having more, people generally agree the female exclusive classes are better.

That's all I can think of.  The biggest differences are probably the few exclusive classes in the game and the S-support options.  You don't get to be idiot-sandwiched by Petra as a female, sorry.

@Ertrick36 It's weird how Lindhart is the only male same sex marriage since there are a lot of same sex female options. I might go for male Byleth next but I'm considering S ranking Dimitri and Claude which can't be done with male Byleth. I just recruited Lysinthia and her dialogue makes it seem like she would've been on Edelgard's side anyway. Also I was glad it gave me the option to spare Claude but it seems like Dimitri might have to be killed. The game makes it out like Edelgard is supposed to be the villain which seems like it will be the case in the other routes.

15 hours ago, Hauke said:

Give me ANY source that they leave out content on PURPOSE.

I'll leave this video here for why I think what I do and that's it. It touches on DLC a bit and other important things. Not exactly leaving out but releasing barebone games to charge DLC later? check.

Spoiler

Also why do YOU spontaneously CAPITALIZE every word in a sentence for no actual DARN reason? It's a dumb trend and please quit it, it adds no meaning at all and I can understand your words just as well without it, please and thank you.

21 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Also why do YOU spontaneously CAPITALIZE every word in a sentence for no actual DARN reason? It's a dumb trend and please quit it, it adds no meaning at all and I can understand your words just as well without it, please and thank you.

Off-topic, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this annoying.  Like, we have bold and italics, if words need to be emphasized why not just use those instead?  Or even underline for the odd duck that would be inclined to use it.  Any of those is better than ALL CAPS, which makes one sound like an arrogant pissant.

30 minutes ago, Edelgardian said:

I might go for male Byleth next but I'm considering S ranking Dimitri and Claude which can't be done with male Byleth.

Well, Joe Zieja, the voice actor for Claude, literally picked female just so that he could marry the character he voice-acted, so I'd say S-support desires are a valid reason to pick certain genders in this game.

Of course there's no telling if the "new supports" described in the details for the next free update will include more same-gender S-supports, but I wouldn't count on it.

Just now, Ertrick36 said:

Off-topic, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this annoying.  Like, we have bold and italics, if words need to be emphasized why not just use those instead?  Or even underline for the odd duck that would be inclined to use it.  Any of those is better than ALL CAPS, which makes one sound like an arrogant pissant.

Oh cool I thought nobody would agree with me on this. Well that's something. Anyways I have nothing meaningful to contribute to the thread so have a nice day!

@Ertrick36 I prefer playing as female characters but usually I choose a character based on romance options. Which is why I chose male Robin in my first Awakening playthrough. Plus I actually prefer Female Byleth's design and can romance basically anyone besides a few female characters.

18 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

I'll leave this video here for why I think what I do and that's it. It touches on DLC a bit and other important things. Not exactly leaving out but releasing barebone games to charge DLC later? check. 

Reveal hidden contents

The capitalize issue is still from other forums in my past where I couldn't use bolds and italics. Sorry about that.

And the video doesn't make any sense. No company is your friend. They all want money. That's nothing bad or evil. DLCs are not necessary bad. Without DLCs the content would never be in the game. With DLC the content is in the game and they cann also add free content by the way. Without DLC we wouldn't have any updates at all. DLCs cost money because they are additional work and additonal work costs money for the devs. The content is not cut from the game and reselled later to make money. Also Three Houses is absolutelly not bareboned. Just because you don't like a game doesn't mean it was intentionally released bareboned to release DLC later.

Edited by Hauke