What animal, plant, or other forms of life do you not mind going extinct?

XRay

What the title says. Assuming there are no bad consequences, what animal do you not mind to disappear off the face of the Earth? Could be plants and other stuff too.

For me, I fear spiders, so I do not mind if all of them go extinct.
I am not a fan cockroaches that dwell in homes either, so they can all go extinct too. I am not afraid of them, but they are gross and revolting.
Same with house flies. They are gross and revolting.
And blood sucking mosquitoes too. Super annoying.
I am fine with plants and other forms of life though.

If you have to take the bad consequences into account, how would that affect your list? Would it be the same or smaller?

For me, my list will be reduced to just spiders and only certain spiders, primarily black widows, brown recluse, and any other spider species commonly found in or near homes.
While I do not like cockroaches, house flies, and mosquitoes, I think I can deal with them for their contributions to the environment.

Edited by XRay

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of bugs play a role in our environment, such as pollen dispersal, even if they're not necessarily trying to do that. I think spiders help keep their populations under control. But there's plenty that truly don't play a role, so I guess they can go. Like, what do cockroaches do other than escape death?

But in general I'm against extinction of any species, but sadly we're living in a time that's marked as a mass extinction event.

Humanity

Literally just flies. I'd say mosquitoes, but they never bite me for some reason. Flies, on the other hand, just buzz around and land on your skin and force you to hit yourself over and over to get rid of the damn things. Screw flies.

1 hour ago, Anathaco said:

Humanity

The only correct answer.

3 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

But in general I'm against extinction of any species

Same here, actually.
When it comes to species that annoy me, however, I'd say those things that look like giant mosquitoes are a great candidate. They fly into your room at night and scratch at your walls, making this unsettling noise. It's freaking annoying, let me tell you...

6 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

I wonder how many species would pick humanity were we to do the rounds and ask every single one.

I can think of at least six off the top of my head: elephants, rhinos, whales, big cats as a whole (tigers, lions, jaguars, leopards, cheetahs etc.), bears, and wolves.
And that's just the mammals.

If there's natural ecosystem consequences, eliminating anything (except cane-toads and other imported pests that do only damage to an ecosystem) would be insane.

... If we don't have to worry about the consequences, flies can fuck right off.

Edited by Parrhesia

Funnel-web and red-back spiders in particular can die in a hole, because I'm sure that there's other, less dangerous species of spider that can take their place.

Antibiotic-resistant bacteria and viruses that just kill things can go die.

Flies and mozzies shouldn't necessarily die, but get a gene that makes them fear animals that are not dead.

Introduced species can be removed from the ecosystems they are threatening, they're fine in their own homes, though.

To be honest, humanity could do with a huge cull, especially in densely populated areas like India and developing countries as well. Places that are not so densely-populated can be spared (like Australia, for example. We're a huge landmass and there's hardly any of us). Even if "culled" means these huge numbers are relocated to space or another planet. (Who said we had to kill them?)

But having cats, dogs and other mammals go extinct would be a BIG no-no!

EDIT: I was thinking about culling the human race even more and I just realised what if, while relocating humans from densly-populated areas to outer space... we end up creating something reminiscent of Starbound? That'd be cool!

Edited by WeAreNewcastle1053

2 hours ago, Parrhesia said:

... If we don't have to worry about the consequences, flies can fuck right off.

Yeah, I am assuming the bad consequences do not exist. But if we do have to take consequences into account, that would affect my decision on which species to go extinct more. I think I will include that in the OP too since it sounds interesting.

If we do have to deal with the effects of extinction, I think I would limit my list to just spiders, and only a portion of spiders.

9 minutes ago, Yexin said:

mosquitoes and humans

not sure which one i'd like to see disappear first though

If we're talking which of those two would go extinct first, I think mosquitoes will survive us. As will most birds (particularly crows) and almost every other insect.

Edited by DragonFlames

40 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

If we're talking which of those two would go extinct first, I think mosquitoes will survive us. As will most birds (particularly crows) and almost every other insect.

well i wasn't specifically talking about natural extinction, but yeah, that would be the most logical turn of events

Wasps, hornets, and centipedes can perish. Those things legit terrify me and do nothing of real value. Same with bees, but they’re quite important for our environment and I at least find bumblebees cute. 

Mosquitoes. Where I live anything that eats them eats other things too, so if they went no other animals would be harmed.  Plus they carry a bunch of illness where I live.

Heart worms are the biggest on my list though, I have lost 3 dogs to them and they are carried by mosquitoes so that's the reason I want them gone as well.

Everything. Humanity. Oh the humanity.
Or simply mosquitoes and fleas.

Mosquitoes are a pain in the ass, but fleas are even more for someone who have pets like me.

Spiders, I'm afraid of them, but they're useful. Spooky and still make me surprise-gasp me like I was a kid, but useful.

33 minutes ago, EricaofRenais said:

Mosquitoes. Where I live anything that eats them eats other things too, so if they went no other animals would be harmed.  Plus they carry a bunch of illness where I live.

Heart worms are the biggest on my list though, I have lost 3 dogs to them and they are carried by mosquitoes so that's the reason I want them gone as well.

Now what are heart worms, this is the first time I heard of them... *google search*
... lovely, yes. /sarcasm.
To the fire they go.

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Are... are mosquitoes a superior life-form to humans then ?
...sadness.

6 hours ago, B.Leu said:

Are... are mosquitoes a superior life-form to humans then ?

...sadness.

Adding onto what @Yexin said (which I actually agree with): mosquitoes have existed for far longer than us humans. Insects in general exist since ~400 million years give or take 50 million. Compared to that, human existence is a mere short-lived fart in our planet's history. Having existed for so long, those same insects have survived every known mass extinction event one way or another, where warm-blooded reptiles, dinosaurs, and the large pre-Ice Age mammals failed.
So it stands to reason that they will survive the next mass extinction event, too.

As for the birds: they also have survived at least two mass extinctions (dinosaurs and Ice Age). And given how adaptable they are (they are the only species of animal that lives everywhere on this planet and can naturally live on land, in water, and in the sky), I don't see birds going extinct any time soon, either.

I do believe, however that humans will also survive a mass extinction event. We are able to use tools and technology to overcome almost anything, and depending what causes the next mass extinction, if humanity can stop fighting each other and learn to co-operate, then we will survive.