What animal, plant, or other forms of life do you not mind going extinct?

XRay

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Adding onto what @Yexin said (which I actually agree with): mosquitoes have existed for far longer than us humans. Insects in general exist since ~400 million years give or take 50 million. Compared to that, human existence is a mere short-lived fart in our planet's history. Having existed for so long, those same insects have survived every known mass extinction event one way or another, where warm-blooded reptiles, dinosaurs, and the large pre-Ice Age mammals failed.
So it stands to reason that they will survive the next mass extinction event, too.

As for the birds: they also have survived at least two mass extinctions (dinosaurs and Ice Age). And given how adaptable they are (they are the only species of animal that lives everywhere on this planet and can naturally live on land, in water, and in the sky), I don't see birds going extinct any time soon, either.

That's right, I remember now, it's old news by now but some were found in fossilized amber. They did surpass us and will probably continue to do so.

Good grief, a insect that is a extreme annoyance at best or a vehicule for dangerous disease at worst, is one of most resillient form of life. More than humans. In a way I find that inspiring. It's really easy to forget how tiny humans are compared to many life forms.

Some birds really doesn't like the pollution we cause though. Which is really sad, birds are cool.

12 minutes ago, Parrhesia said:

hard lmao at the human hate

guys I think I found a anti-anti-humanity mole from the government. Bad news: it's a moderator, they already infiltrated our hilghy advanced society.

5 hours ago, WeAreNewcastle1053 said:

Yeah, viruses do nothing but kill. If you get rid of them all there will be few consequences.

What about overpopulation due to the removal of one of the primary causes of death? Not that medicine hasn't already given us an idea of what that's like. You remove something that kills something else... it does have an effect. Hence my choices being to remove species that are primarily annoyances.

10 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

What about overpopulation due to the removal of one of the primary causes of death? Not that medicine hasn't already given us an idea of what that's like. You remove something that kills something else... it does have an effect. Hence my choices being to remove species that are primarily annoyances.

Viruses aren't the only means of preventing overpopulation...

For starters, everything is trying to kill humans, not to mention humans killing each other.

(Gosh, I sound really cynical...)

4 hours ago, WeAreNewcastle1053 said:

For starters, everything is trying to kill humans, not to mention humans killing each other.

Yeah, but when you put it that way, so is old age. The point was more the complete eradication of viruses would contribute to overpopulation. In a way, we're already suffering a degree of overpopulation. The irony is any quality of life improvements will ultimately increase it. Ultimately, the only way around it is either drastic action, or a scientific advance sufficient to allow us to reach other (habitable) planets. That said, I am not an advocate for the drastic action.

9 hours ago, WeAreNewcastle1053 said:

5 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

The point was more the complete eradication of viruses would contribute to overpopulation.

Yeah, viruses are one of the most effective forms of "life" at preventing other organisms from overpopulation. Not only do viruses keep multicellular organisms in check via disease, they also keep single cellular organisms in check too. Without viruses, bacteria and other microbes are more likely to flourish, which may lead to undesirable consequences.

For every organism out there, there is probably at least 1 or more type of viruses that can infect it and cause illness or death.

19 hours ago, WeAreNewcastle1053 said:

Nothing cynical about the truth.
Though I'd argue that not everything is trying to kill us. Animals certainly aren't, even though the mass media likes to pretend they do.

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Though I'd argue that not everything is trying to kill us. Animals certainly aren't, even though the mass media likes to pretend they do.

Well some animals intentionally kill humans. But they're just trying to survive. Animals other than humans don't actually have any malicious intentions when harming other animals. They're all just trying to survive... while us humans kill each other for the fun of it...

On 9/23/2019 at 12:46 AM, DragonFlames said:

The only correct answer.

Same here, actually.
When it comes to species that annoy me, however, I'd say those things that look like giant mosquitoes are a great candidate. They fly into your room at night and scratch at your walls, making this unsettling noise. It's freaking annoying, let me tell you...

I know exactly what you mean! i don't even know how they get into my room but they always wanna party at midnight.

39 minutes ago, Ingrid Brandl Galatea said:

Wasps, they are harmful for the bees and just annoy me while I am eating. They have no good purpose for the nature as far as I know. 

They do eat rotten fruit that has fallen to the ground and they can be observed flying around overfilled trash cans, as well (similar to hornets).
But yes, them being harmful to bees on top of one almost killing my grandmother (and myself having a phobia of the things because of that), I'm not particularly fond of wasps, to say the absolute least.

11 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

I know exactly what you mean! i don't even know how they get into my room but they always wanna party at midnight.

I had one of those f***ers just the other night. Ugh. It's not funny being sick, thus already having trouble sleeping, and then one of those things showed up and decided "hey, scratching at walls is fun, right? Let's do it!".

1 minute ago, Ingrid Brandl Galatea said:

I have phobia too and I know too good how awkward it is.

Yup. I get this urge to just run away if I so much as see one of them. It's awful.

1 minute ago, Ingrid Brandl Galatea said:

Tbf other insects eat rotten food too. 

That is certainly true.
Those other insects are also less dangerous for bees and people.

2 minutes ago, Ingrid Brandl Galatea said:

I was hit by one in a bus (totally unexpected) three years ago. 

It ended that the bus had to cancel their route because calling the emergency doctor.  

Yikes!

The worst I saw in a bus was an injured bee (it was missing a leg). I took pity on it and took it with me outside when I got off. Luckily for me, there weren't any wasps or hornets to speak of... yet. 

20 minutes ago, Ingrid Brandl Galatea said:

If I face a hornet,  I will scream and run for my life. 

Then be glad you didn't live in my area two years ago. There was a construction going on and they presumably destroyed a nest of hornets. For the rest of that summer, we were haunted by no less than ten hornets. I woke up to the sound of one flying around in my room. I nearly got a heart attack then. Ever since, I have a screen against insects on each of my windows.

I've seen a few wasps flying around during my high school years. They've never hurt me...

In Australia where I live, almost every house has screens on all doors and openable windows. It's to keep the flies out, but I'd argue they've done much, much more than that...

1 minute ago, WeAreNewcastle1053 said:

Oh gods, SAME HERE!

Especially the paralysis ticks... and the ticks that spread Lyme disease, they can all go die in a hole.

nothing like seeing a beautiful field of perfect grass and wanting to enjoy it but knowing satan's blackheads are waiting to drink you dry and give you an incurable disease