Regaining the Grand Hero Battle: Astram

SatsumaFSoysoy

7 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yes, but he's obviously not a dragon, nor an armor. He can't function like Grima Robin if he's not a similar unit type at all. And also in this case, your main units are using Fighter skills, which only armors can use. And there's still Idunn. I don't have a red dragon with defenses that ridiculous.

Okay, I do however have a base Azura who as you saw had drive speed 2 and Speed +3 and she took a blue lance to the face with one HP left.  So if you had say Laevatien with Fury/Vantage 3 and a quick charge special she could demolish some of those units and not actually need the defense to survive all that much, knowing green units are going to do less damage as you saw with Idunn.  Another option is to have a powerful brave sword user or Reinhardt and dancers etc.

4 minutes ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Okay, I do however have a base Azura who as you saw had drive speed 2 and Speed +3 and she took a blue lance to the face with one HP left.  So if you had say Laevatien with Fury/Vantage 3 and a quick charge special she could demolish some of those units and not actually need the defense to survive all that much, knowing green units are going to do less damage as you saw with Idunn.  Another option is to have a powerful brave sword user or Reinhardt and dancers etc.

I have Laevatein, and my Reinhardt is +10, but I've got some other things in mind that I'd like to try first.

@Ginko Wow your team just cleared the bottom half so fast in the first video! On the other hand, the tin cans sure gave you trouble in the dagger clear, it was a defensive battle when you were cornered in that middle land. Nice job finding the solution though, it helps to have a dagger dancer.

@Landmaster These offensive Soiree dancers sure add some firepower to your dancer clears! Phina also got to show her amazing sword. Ninian was brave to start out the map like that!

@DLNarshen Oooo, Julia overcoming WTD against Astram sure was satisfying. Julius was dangerously low on HP at one point but he held on. The duo seemed very in control, at least having 2 spare slots means you're not trapped in reinforcements in tight spaces.

@Diovani Bressan Wow Saizo sure spread some mayhem straight away! Saizo's Star debuffs are always so amazing to see, I might consider Sol on my Saizo in the future now.

@Alexmender Well now, Eirika sure didn't have a problem here. That's one way to ignore reinforcement headaches. Can't really say anything but amazing.

@Zeo @daisy jane @mampfoid @NegativeExponents- @SatsumaFSoysoy

Astram huh. Name reminds me of a certain special....how about Astram vs Astra Emblem?

- Ayra because Regnal Astra. Nagi is the first Astra mythic while Cordelia/Yarne both have Astra in their kits (on the way to learning Galeforce)

- Ayra needed full support to one-round the axe armour. Spur Atk and Atk Tactic was just enough to do the damage. She also provides Atk Smoke support later on so she and Cordelia can survive the reinforcements. Had to give her Drag Back to stay away from the lance cav near the end. 

- Yarne gets to say his special lines today. His -Atk was showing against the lance armour, but the Taguel lives on for another day thanks to his +HP. Turn order was important so he get Atk/Spd solo buffs before I move his teammates next to him. Bunny Fang's cooldown buff is really fun to use for quick Astras (That 157 damage though!!). His Drive Spd was also integral to let Cordelia and Naga double later on.

- While Cordelia also had Astra equipped, it's a shame she couldn't unleash it because of the Guard Swordie. She needed Drive Spd support to double that darn sword unit (darn Fury!) and at least TA2 for enough damage. Hit and Run was also a key skill in this map to escape from the melee scramble in the middle of the map, and I was surprised to see her survive the green mage despite taking extra damage from TA.

- Naga's flier mobility was really needed in this map- she needed Yarne's Spd Wave buffs and Drive Spd to double the lance flier (otherwise she gets doubled and Moonbowed to death). Atk/Res bond was also needed to survive the red flier mage, and so she can do enough damage to Astram.

I figured out lunatic and infernal with one of my strongest teams: RD Ike, female Robin, Silas, and legendary Azura. They're mainly really good because with the buffs from female Robin's prf on top of ally C skills and seals, they can tank just about anything. Both my RD Ike and Silas are +Def. And the only magic attack either of them had to take was...nothing, actually. When the green mage cav was able to attack, they took a Vantage one-shot to the face from Ike lol. And by the time the red mage flier came around, I could safely attack her without her having to counter.

I'd like to make a video, but recreating the clear might take some doing and I'll have to find the time amidst my job and schoolwork.

Edited by Anacybele

19 hours ago, Landmaster said:

My Dancers are back in town with some new faces!~

Would have liked to get more action in from…someone not named Ishtar her mobility really helped here. It was satisfying all the same getting it done with this team. I was worried I’d have to switch out Phina for a more invested Dancer but she did it~

@Sasori - Roy is a freaking machine. He was awesome. Nice to see Groom Marth putting in some good work, I’m impressed. Liliana got to nuke some annoying tanks and Caeda got a nice Iceberg kill, too. Nice teamwork in this one.

A wow Ishtar really got a lot of action in. Kinda strange how a dancer can have that much offensive power. Phina meanwhile had a nice time with the generals and horses this map throws at you.

The only thing that stung about my clear is that I wasted grails to get the Hit and Run skill for Caeda. Not knowing I already gave her that skill a long time ago. As someone who doesn't play aether raid much that took a pretty good chunck out.

On 9/23/2019 at 9:20 PM, Landmaster said:

My Dancers are back in town with some new faces!~

Already making use of the 3H soundtrack I see!  Was Ninian the free one we got recently?  Even without much investment, Phina seems like a solid choice for these sort of clears thanks to the effective damage she deals.  She's lucky that green cavalier opted for Glimmer as a special. =P

On 9/24/2019 at 10:56 AM, mcsilas said:

at least having 2 spare slots means you're not trapped in reinforcements in tight spaces.

Honestly the hardest part about some of these clears is figuring out how to keep the two "empty" spaces alive.  My main pair doesn't get boxed in as easily, but...their cheerleaders certainly do. x(

Should have had Astra on Naga too.

Going for the northern reinforcements first is a good idea -- prevents them from trying to trap you.  Nagi's perfect damage on Astram was the highlight for me.  

On 9/24/2019 at 1:43 AM, LordFrigid said:

Who needs Dance when you have a Pegasus and a Brave Tome, anyway? Nice job on your clear!

...I see how it is.

Hide contents

Funnily enough, it was basically the same as fighting him with Caeda...use Savage Blow to set up a perfect KO and live with 1 HP. The power of Ally Support.

~

So I actually managed the Archanea One-Turn by booting out Marth and doubling up on Catria.

Hide contents

Now this is a battle that is legendary! Love the chip damage from Caeda to help him out and the clutch 1 HP live~ Double Catria was awesome! This is tempting me to build one, I've always liked her art LOL~ Lucky +Atk Phina!

On 9/24/2019 at 7:10 AM, Ginko said:

I finished this map yesteraday but I can't find any soundtrack to fit my clears until now.

There's never be a problem for Shiro to handle physical units here. I want him to take all those pesky armors but it will be slow to do enemy phase so I let Kagero kill them to make it easier.

2 fridges are main problem for Dagger emblem so I need to go defensive and take them out one by one. 

9 damage! Probably the least damage anyone took from Astram.  Even the refrigerators don’t give too much problem. Still a quick and easy clear for the gang.

I thought Ryoma would help more against the pesky fridges with his effective damage but helping his friends get the kills work just as fine. I was scared on those last few enemies but you found a way through. Nice work!

On 9/24/2019 at 4:33 PM, Sasori said:

A wow Ishtar really got a lot of action in. Kinda strange how a dancer can have that much offensive power. Phina meanwhile had a nice time with the generals and horses this map throws at you.

The only thing that stung about my clear is that I wasted grails to get the Hit and Run skill for Caeda. Not knowing I already gave her that skill a long time ago. As someone who doesn't play aether raid much that took a pretty good chunck out.

Yeah, really enjoying the BST boost dancers got lately. Oof sorry about those Grails >.> Hopefully at least someone else can make some good use of that Hit and Run~

7 hours ago, DLNarshen said:

Already making use of the 3H soundtrack I see!  Was Ninian the free one we got recently?  Even without much investment, Phina seems like a solid choice for these sort of clears thanks to the effective damage she deals.  She's lucky that green cavalier opted for Glimmer as a special. =P

Yep, I this map warranted a pretty epic theme! Yep, this was the free Ninian (that's why she's a little low on SI, gotta grind some nice SP on her), I didn't have her before so she was a really appreciated freebie. I don't have the best collection of Blue dancers XP Yeah she came a bit close this time, lucky she was able to survive XD

• 3 weeks later...

@Alexmender Exactly what I expected. I'll bet it was refreshing for Eirika to not have to deal with any pesky armors at the start this time too.

@DLNarshen It's clears like this that are the reason why I'm sitting on my +SPD Dierdre and not just merging her into the original +RES one I have. Julia doubling the flier at the end was beautiful. Mystic Boost 3 is also such a perfect skill for your Julius. The enemy was whittling him down during the first half of the battle but could never quite kill him as a result of that skill. After Astram went down it was pretty much a done deal.

@LordFrigid I think this is the first time I've ever seen Marth with Galeforce... weird seeing that skill on him. At first I thought Caeda surviving Astram's Wrath boosted Bonfire was utter blasphemy, then I remembered the ATK/DEF Bond seal you had equipped on her. Cutting it pretty close there~!

@Landmaster The. Armor. Attacked. Azura. Everything else in this clear was overshadowed by the fact that the lance armor went for Azura instead of Phina. I literally paused the video because the first thing I thought when you moved Ishtar from in front of the armor was "Wait... Phina's dead?..." and he actually went for the green instead of the red. I'm outdone. Ishtar would otherwise easily have been the star of this clear. But after that happened I was pretty much outdone.

@Ginko The beginning of the 2nd turn looked intimidating when all the enemies piled up and you were surrounded on both sides but they died so quickly it was almost like a joke. The lighthearted and upbeat music was appropriate for this clear. It was an utterly casual affair for Shiro and co.

So jealous of those sunglasses...

I knew the dagger clear was going to be tricky. Very impressive defensive formation between the rivers, though it was a headscratcher why the Bow went for Kagero instead of the armor going for Sothe who shouldn't have been able to counter, then the mage could have finished him off probably. The AI makes weird choices sometimes. The choice to box you in with Astram and the blues was brilliant though. I didn't know how you were going to get out of that and your indecisiveness added to the tension. Really impressive the way you managed to finish off all 3 of them in one turn to finish the map.

@mcsilas There you go again with those creative themes. Astra? Ha. Chances are this could have been easier with Galeforce but I like that you committed to using the Astra skill. As soon as Ayra got repo'd over the river on the first turn I knew this was going to be a different kind of clear. This clear was like a puzzle of sorts with every piece fitting precisely into place in order for things to work. Right down to the exact damage kill on Astram which was the highlight. I enjoyed Naga getting time in combat and it reminded me that YARNE HAS SPECIAL SPIRAL IN HIS WEAPON. I was somewhat underwhelmed when I pulled him, completely forgetting that he had that. My opinion has completely changed on him and I'm definitely building him up. Anyways! great clear as always.

@SatsumaFSoysoy @Dayni @mampfoid @daisy jane @Anacybele @NegativeExponents- @Xenomata @Quintessence 

I'm playing catchup as you guys already know. Next up we're knocking out Astram. F2P Wrath fodder doesn't feel real but it's here. Still don't know who I'm giving Wrath to yet. Lyn is a certainty but she's currently on Hiatus. As for the other, no clue. I'll probably wait until next month when he's added to the Grail shop. Ok let's get to it.

I feel like they really wanted you to work for that Wrath fodder, just like they wanted you to work for Brazen ATK/SPD with Linus. In the same vein I really wanted this to be one of those epic clears along the lines of Aversa. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) Matthew has achieved a completely different level of power compared to back then. It seemed difficult in the beginning but I quickly realized that I was respecting the map too much in my approach. After a couple of tries approaching cautiously I just decided to throw Matt's face against the map in a more reckless manner. You'll see how that went here.

Morgan's was considerably more difficult. Probably the most difficult of the 3 clears. In typical Morgan clear fashion it was a puzzle. I tried opening the map with Morgan, no dice, Amelia, nope, Ninian, uh uh. When initiating with either of these units I'd either die on the first turn or positioning would be disadvantageous in such a way that I wouldn't be able to deal with the reinforcements. Eventually I had to shift my strategy around and Priscilla wound up being the key. I had to yet again swap out her double Tactics set for a Savage Pain set. Opening the map with her enabled Morgan to use his Sol+Vantage strat which allowed the clear to move forward.

DC works it's magic for Amelia and she ends up having to use WoM3 defensively since she can't survive or kill Astram even with Ignis so that complicated things a bit as well. Morgan needs Brazen ATK/RES for a particular encounter and the team pretty much demonstrates their synergy in yet another puzzle solved.

Contrasting the Morgan clear, Serra's turned out to be a rather simple affair. Fae needed the Close DEF seal and Drive SPD from Azura to survive the first phase and avoid a double from the Ninja which would have ended her. After that picking off the reinforcements and covering the rear was pretty straightforward. Serra could have honestly used any staff here so we went with her signature Absorb+ for cool factor. Fae couldn't survive Astram so I wondered if things were going to be a problem once he started the close in on the team, but the moral of this story?: Don't underestimate Serra. She's far from helpless.

We're done here. Only 3 clears this time. Next we're doing the LHBs. We'll start with Thrasir since she's new.

Cheers~

Edited by Zeo

4 hours ago, Zeo said:

Right? Sothe with sunglasses is so damn cool. My fashion taste can burn my orbs sometimes T^T. Hunting for Seasonal weapon is a reason... 

4 hours ago, Zeo said:

though it was a headscratcher why the Bow went for Kagero instead of the armor going for Sothe who shouldn't have been able to counter, then the mage could have finished him off probably. The AI makes weird choices sometimes.

AI always prioritize their survival, Bow don't go for Sothe because Sothe is at full health and counter that Bow to death. So that's why Bow target Kagerou who can't kill it. 

The similar thing happen when Red mage go to suicide at Ryoma instead of Sothe because he is at Vantage range. AI choose to die while deal some damage to Ryoma rather than die at Sothe for nothing.

As for your clear, Matthew sweep everything in one turn is so damn cancer lol. Big sacrifice to put DC on Amelia. But I'm sure she deserve it after stay with you and doing great job until now. Seeing Serra perform absorb like that really make me want to do a +10 healer project. Only if I get more copy of Mercedes ^^.

Also it's good to know that you are a big fan of Aimer and Sawano Hiroyuki. "Everything in the tapestry" my favourite line in that song. I often listen to Aimer's song before head to bed. Her songs soothe my soul.

Edited by Ginko

17 hours ago, Zeo said:

@DLNarshen It's clears like this that are the reason why I'm sitting on my +SPD Dierdre and not just merging her into the original +RES one I have. Julia doubling the flier at the end was beautiful. Mystic Boost 3 is also such a perfect skill for your Julius. The enemy was whittling him down during the first half of the battle but could never quite kill him as a result of that skill. After Astram went down it was pretty much a done deal.

Yeah, definitely keep the +Spd Deidre.  I'm starting to lose track how many times +Spd has saved me, or at the very least made these clears easier than they would have been.  

I feel like they really wanted you to work for that Wrath fodder, just like they wanted you to work for Brazen ATK/SPD with Linus. In the same vein I really wanted this to be one of those epic clears along the lines of Aversa. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) Matthew has achieved a completely different level of power compared to back then. It seemed difficult in the beginning but I quickly realized that I was respecting the map too much in my approach. After a couple of tries approaching cautiously I just decided to throw Matt's face against the map in a more reckless manner. You'll see how that went here.

Look at this man, tanking Astram's Bonfire like a champ.  Another "blink and you'll miss it" Matthew clear, I like it.

Morgan's was considerably more difficult. Probably the most difficult of the 3 clears. In typical Morgan clear fashion it was a puzzle. I tried opening the map with Morgan, no dice, Amelia, nope, Ninian, uh uh. When initiating with either of these units I'd either die on the first turn or positioning would be disadvantageous in such a way that I wouldn't be able to deal with the reinforcements. Eventually I had to shift my strategy around and Priscilla wound up being the key. I had to yet again swap out her double Tactics set for a Savage Pain set. Opening the map with her enabled Morgan to use his Sol+Vantage strat which allowed the clear to move forward.

DC works it's magic for Amelia and she ends up having to use WoM3 defensively since she can't survive or kill Astram even with Ignis so that complicated things a bit as well. Morgan needs Brazen ATK/RES for a particular encounter and the team pretty much demonstrates their synergy in yet another puzzle solved.

Morgan lacks the power that Matt has, but it was nice to see a fairly similar strat work out thanks to all that chip damage from Priscilla.  Vantage+Sol is a combo I've overlooked for a long time, and it may be worthwhile to try it myself.

Contrasting the Morgan clear, Serra's turned out to be a rather simple affair. Fae needed the Close DEF seal and Drive SPD from Azura to survive the first phase and avoid a double from the Ninja which would have ended her. After that picking off the reinforcements and covering the rear was pretty straightforward. Serra could have honestly used any staff here so we went with her signature Absorb+ for cool factor. Fae couldn't survive Astram so I wondered if things were going to be a problem once he started the close in on the team, but the moral of this story?: Don't underestimate Serra. She's far from helpless.

That ninja really is a pain - though perhaps it's less the unit itself, but that infuriating weapon he wields.  Nice to see Serra was able to survive the Bonfire too - clearly not wanting to be outdone by Matt!

@Zeo Wow...that Matthew clear was just so...fast! Mampfoid would've been a proud at the speed of the clear!

The Serra clear was also just as amazing, using her to tank Astram's special was something. Even better was when she easily shrugged off the mage flier.

Morgan was a puzzle, and it was interesting to see Amelia use WoM to escape like that rather than warp kill like usual haha. Some nice Ninian spotlight in the end which is nice, too.

Yeah Yarne is really interesting to use in Feh, even at -Atk he pulls his weight. Hope you enjoy him! My first clear used the Galeforce variants of Yarne and it was much faster and simpler, but I felt I had to commit to the theme. Ayra's debut was a bit tricky- I had remove the threat of Armour March straight away since getting trapped would've been a bad idea, thank goodness she can unleash some power through those Regnal Astras. Kinda of felt a taste of your Ayra in your clears.

Edited by mcsilas

On 10/14/2019 at 8:27 PM, Zeo said:

@Alexmender Exactly what I expected. I'll bet it was refreshing for Eirika to not have to deal with any pesky armors at the start this time too.

@LordFrigid I think this is the first time I've ever seen Marth with Galeforce... weird seeing that skill on him. At first I thought Caeda surviving Astram's Wrath boosted Bonfire was utter blasphemy, then I remembered the ATK/DEF Bond seal you had equipped on her. Cutting it pretty close there~!

@Landmaster The. Armor. Attacked. Azura. Everything else in this clear was overshadowed by the fact that the lance armor went for Azura instead of Phina. I literally paused the video because the first thing I thought when you moved Ishtar from in front of the armor was "Wait... Phina's dead?..." and he actually went for the green instead of the red. I'm outdone. Ishtar would otherwise easily have been the star of this clear. But after that happened I was pretty much outdone.

@Ginko The beginning of the 2nd turn looked intimidating when all the enemies piled up and you were surrounded on both sides but they died so quickly it was almost like a joke. The lighthearted and upbeat music was appropriate for this clear. It was an utterly casual affair for Shiro and co.

I knew the dagger clear was going to be tricky. Very impressive defensive formation between the rivers, though it was a headscratcher why the Bow went for Kagero instead of the armor going for Sothe who shouldn't have been able to counter, then the mage could have finished him off probably. The AI makes weird choices sometimes. The choice to box you in with Astram and the blues was brilliant though. I didn't know how you were going to get out of that and your indecisiveness added to the tension. Really impressive the way you managed to finish off all 3 of them in one turn to finish the map.

@mcsilas There you go again with those creative themes. Astra? Ha. Chances are this could have been easier with Galeforce but I like that you committed to using the Astra skill. As soon as Ayra got repo'd over the river on the first turn I knew this was going to be a different kind of clear. This clear was like a puzzle of sorts with every piece fitting precisely into place in order for things to work. Right down to the exact damage kill on Astram which was the highlight. I enjoyed Naga getting time in combat and it reminded me that YARNE HAS SPECIAL SPIRAL IN HIS WEAPON. I was somewhat underwhelmed when I pulled him, completely forgetting that he had that. My opinion has completely changed on him and I'm definitely building him up. Anyways! great clear as always.

@SatsumaFSoysoy @Dayni @mampfoid @daisy jane @Anacybele @NegativeExponents- @Xenomata @Quintessence 

I'm playing catchup as you guys already know. Next up we're knocking out Astram. F2P Wrath fodder doesn't feel real but it's here. Still don't know who I'm giving Wrath to yet. Lyn is a certainty but she's currently on Hiatus. As for the other, no clue. I'll probably wait until next month when he's added to the Grail shop. Ok let's get to it.

We're done here. Only 3 clears this time. Next we're doing the LHBs. We'll start with Thrasir since she's new.

Cheers~

Forgive my lateness, thesis projects are a lot of work~

Gotta love that “I’ll attack anything that can’t attack me” AI! Phina lucked out there~

Lord, that Bonfire was insane and Matt still ate it for breakfast and got the kill in return. I shouldn’t be surprised he was able to get the one-turn but I’m still impressed.

Silly me, I forgot Morgan was a total nuke in Brazen range. Foolish of me to doubt the power of the best son. You can never go wrong with splashing some Savage Pain. Love Team Morgan coming together as usual to clear the map with how much they fly all over the place

Fae tanking and Serra Absorbing makes for a never dying steamroll pretty much. Waiting on her to get that CC so next time she can backhand Astram after that Bonfire~

• 6 months later...

+10 ASTRAM! +10 ASTRAM! With this and the Spd/Def bond seal, the game seems to be trying to bring back some enthusiasm with my general ennui with the game.

Askrtrio cleared with Lyon, +10 Astram cleared with Norne, Legion and Y!Merric.

Edited by Dayni

• 2 weeks later...

@Zeo @mampfoid @BoaFerox @daisy jane @Landmaster @SatsumaFSoysoy @Alexmender @DLNarshen @Maaka

Had a pretty busy couple of weeks so a bit late sharing this. Did a fun Astra(m) Emblem clear.

Team is neutral Astram, +Atk +1 Naga, neutral Altina and +Spd/-Res Larcei.

Music is KD-0063 from the King of Fighters XIII

- Astram recruits the two Astra Mythics and Larcei, the Regnal Astra user to beat his GHB. A little bit tricky having 3 red swords in the team, but Mercurius is great support for Altina's true brave prf and Larcei's blistering Spd and Repel combo.

- That said, blue units stop the swordies, esepcially the Vanguard tin can. Thankfully Naga stepped up in the second half, although she did need some help herself with a few extra stats. Divine Fang + her prf helped add those stats at least. (Yes I forgot/was lazy about changing her AR-O skill)

On 5/24/2020 at 9:55 AM, GuiltyLove said:

https://streamable.com/g0frmz

Used some dragons! Yay!

That’s a nice Sophia! This team was a nice mix of offense from Camilla and defense from the three tanks. I’m sure since this video Myrrh will be even better with her refine~

On 6/3/2020 at 9:25 PM, mcsilas said:

Had a pretty busy couple of weeks so a bit late sharing this. Did a fun Astra(m) Emblem clear.

Team is neutral Astram, +Atk +1 Naga, neutral Altina and +Spd/-Res Larcei.

Music is KD-0063 from the King of Fighters XIII

- Astram recruits the two Astra Mythics and Larcei, the Regnal Astra user to beat his GHB. A little bit tricky having 3 red swords in the team, but Mercurius is great support for Altina's true brave prf and Larcei's blistering Spd and Repel combo.

- That said, blue units stop the swordies, esepcially the Vanguard tin can. Thankfully Naga stepped up in the second half, although she did need some help herself with a few extra stats. Divine Fang + her prf helped add those stats at least. (Yes I forgot/was lazy about changing her AR-O skill)

That was some impressive work from Altina being able to take out some blue enemies. Also nice to see Naga used offensively since she’s usually more support. Larcei’s a monster, as expected. 

• 2 years later...