Lyn defense screwed.

Wil

Lyn should have gained defense once or twice by level 10. So it's a little screwed, but not that much.

Lyn's Def growth is only 20%, which is rather common in GBA FE, most Def growths do not exceed 30%. This isn't necessarily true of other growths, 30% is low by Spd growths for instance.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

She may be defense screwed, but considering how low her base and growth is, I doubt I'd have much of an impact on her durability anyway. That's the thing with the defense stat: The higher the stat is, the larger the effect of each additional point.

Edited by BrightBow

Ok thanks, i was initially thinking about starting over as i like using Lyn and was kinda bummed out she didn't get a defense level up the whole of Lyn mode. But from what i gather from these comments ,not gaining a defense stat or 2 wouldn't make much difference for her considering her already low durability. I've noticed she is a dodge tank though at least on my game and her strength level ups have been pretty solid, think she has 9 strength which i imagine is not too bad for her by lv 10. Oh by the way, would using the seraph robe on her be a good idea? Thanks.

Edited by Wil

She's not def screwed, that's relatively normal for Lyn, an angelic robe or two (if you want to invest heavily in Lyn) can help her survivability, but anything short of rigging her levels to get def won't make her tanky. 

It's early, and Lyn doesn't want to be hit.  Of her stats, this is tied for the least relevant.

AND!

The game is easy enough where being majorly screwed isn't going to lock you out of the ending.  You'll just have to be slightly more creative about it.  In other words, don't sweat it.

Most FEGBA units have 20 or 25% defense growth so not getting much is normal but her defense is pretty low anyways so it doesn't make much of an impact and you'll just have to live with a even-less-defense-than-usual Lyn. Now do tell us what her other stats are? 9 str at level 10 is blessed by about 2 points. You can use this handy resource for that: https://serenesforest.net/blazing-sword/characters/average-stats/lyn/ also at level 10 she is only really screwed by 1.8 points which the game would round down to 1 so not really significant IMO.

You could also learn the math to do it on the go so as to not have to go on this page everytime and my summarizedway of telling you how to is:

A unit has a growth of 40% and has gained 10 levels since the first (level 11) how much does he gain? Well consider that 40%=0.40 and that 0.40 is equal to 0.10*4 so you grab the amount of levels gained (in this case 10) and multiply it by 0.10; so 10*0.10 gives you 1 and then since 0.40 is equal to 0.10 times 4 we multiply that 1 we got and multiply by 4 and so the stat was increased by 4 throughout ten levels of a 40% growth unit.

it's math; don't understand: grab the percentage, turn into decimal (40% -> 0.40) and multiply by 10 and you get an idea for how much a stat should increase in increments of levels of 10. 

39 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

also at level 10 she is only really screwed by 1.8 points which the game would round down to 1 so not really significant IMO.

The game doesn’t round that down because 1.8 isn’t an in game value. It’s just the representation of what you can typically expect, and it means it’s more likely to be 2 than 1.

10 minutes ago, Florete said:

The game doesn’t round that down because 1.8 isn’t an in game value. It’s just the representation of what you can typically expect, and it means it’s more likely to be 2 than 1.

Yeah I guess you're right.

Florina is the best candidate for the Angelic Robe, but if you're not planning on using her long-term, might as well use it on Lyn since she's one of the main characters that must be deployed in certain maps. 

Lyn is built like a Myrm/Swordmaster, which means low bases/growth rate for Def and Str. I'd say being Strength-screwed is more damaging to her, but overall, FE7 has tons of great units and the game's not that hard (even in its highest difficulty mode) it warrants resetting just because some of the units get stat-screwed. 

Resetting because of bad levels (which this isn't, particularly) is never a good idea. You'll always lose more time retreading ground than you would from the maybe one or two times that being whatever-screwed makes you reset.

(Ike in FE9 might be the exception there...)

Edited by Parrhesia

Well I did eventually restart because I didnt realise that if you finish lyn mode without using the seraph robe it doesn't carry over to eliwoods mode. I know it wouldn't rely make a difference it was just bothering my ocd haha. Lyn this time at lv 10 had 8 strength, 4 defense and I mostly  forget the the rest but speed and skill were around 12-15 I believe.

I currently have beaten chapter 15 in Eliwoods story and just have one final question. Eliwoods rapier has nearly broken and was wondering if he does ok without it and if I should have conserved its uses a bit more as I believe it's a while until you get another one. Thanks.

On 9/29/2019 at 10:37 AM, Wil said:

I currently have beaten chapter 15 in Eliwoods story and just have one final question. Eliwoods rapier has nearly broken and was wondering if he does ok without it and if I should have conserved its uses a bit more as I believe it's a while until you get another one. Thanks.

It's probably fine to have been using as you have. The game is most difficult in the early game before your units start leveling up. Whether Eliwood does okay or not depends on your Eliwood, but you shouldn't be set very far back by having broken the rapier by mid-game.