On NG+ is it easier to recruit students in the monestery?

Maddie

11 minutes ago, Edelgardian said:

On my first playthrough I found it hard to understand exactly how to meet the conditions to recruit the other students. I know it has something to do with Byleth's stats but I'm not sure if it carries over in NG+

Just check the recruitment guide in the three houses page on this site.

https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/characters/recruitment/

Edited by CyberNinja

Recruitment is easier because of one or more of the following factors:

• You have a higher Professor level than the game expects, and you may gain Support, do Faculty Training and roll for the Charm from Tea Time more frequently.
  • You may purchase Supports directly rather than investing in re-raising them.
  • You may purchase Weapon Ranks directly rather than investing in re-raising them.
  • If you have upgraded Saint Statues sufficiently to get EXP faster, you can roll stat-ups more frequently.

16 minutes ago, bethany81707 said:

Recruitment is easier because of one or more of the following factors:

• You have a higher Professor level than the game expects, and you may gain Support, do Faculty Training and roll for the Charm from Tea Time more frequently.
  • You may purchase Supports directly rather than investing in re-raising them.
  • You may purchase Weapon Ranks directly rather than investing in re-raising them.
  • If you have upgraded Saint Statues sufficiently to get EXP faster, you can roll stat-ups more frequently.

For example I'm NG+ and I've recruited all students but hilda and Dorothea, Byleth is a lvl 25 warrior and I haven't fought Miklan yet.

If you attain a B support with a student they will offer to join your house.

Any support levels you attain in one playthrough can be purchased for the next one on New Game+. If you're playing, say, Black Eagles, and you have a B support with Ferdinand, next time you play you can buy that support rank and he'll ask to change to your class some time in the following weeks. This is far and away the easiest way to recruit students from other houses. You can also get a B support to recruit students on New Game, but this doesn't apply to Caspar and one other student because their B supports are locked behind the time-skip. Just throw gifts at them until they have their C conversation available, then do the same thing after reading the C support so you can unlock the B. Not long after that they should ask to join you.

You can also try to get your stats and weapon ranks to the appropriate levels but I don't really see the value in this unless you just happen to hit those benchmarks prior to getting a B support with the unit (which is unlikely but not impossible).

21 minutes ago, De Geso said:

You can also try to get your stats and weapon ranks to the appropriate levels but I don't really see the value in this unless you just happen to hit those benchmarks prior to getting a B support with the unit (which is unlikely but not impossible).

It's a guaranteed recruit at the professor's leisure, rather than an RNG recruit. Depending on what you did on a weekend, resetting for it can take some time and redoing all that week's Instruction.

Having control over when you recruit is useful if you want to wait until the student promotes to Intermediate classes for the growths, or you want to get them as soon as possible to make sure you can get all their cross-house Supports or instruction benchmarks in time.

4 minutes ago, bethany81707 said:

It's a guaranteed recruit at the professor's leisure, rather than an RNG recruit. Depending on what you did on a weekend, resetting for it can take some time and redoing all that week's Instruction.

Having control over when you recruit is useful if you want to wait until the student promotes to Intermediate classes for the growths, or you want to get them as soon as possible to make sure you can get all their cross-house Supports or instruction benchmarks in time.

Oh, I didn't know that - I've never recruited that way so it didn't occur to me, but yeah that does sound marginally useful.

8 minutes ago, De Geso said:

Oh, I didn't know that - I've never recruited that way so it didn't occur to me, but yeah that does sound marginally useful. 

I've also run the numbers on this. If you keep building past B Support to reach B+ Support, anyone who wants Sword/Brawl/Authority should be free, according to the math (I'm wary of the game adding a loophole), and anyone who wants something other than Faith only needs two Activity points worth of Faculty Training to be recruited. Annette and Lysithea are tricky, but if you've been using Choir to raise Support, you've got a start on your Faith levels.

(The stat levels are tiny compared to Byleth's bases- at C+ Support, the only characters who may turn you down for insufficient stats are those looking for Charm, since the Charm thresholds are so high, Felix, if you're somehow so speed screwed you haven't gained a single point, and Mercedes/Lysithea, who need 3 Magic growth procs. By B Support, it's just the Charm students left.)

52 minutes ago, bethany81707 said:

I've also run the numbers on this. If you keep building past B Support to reach B+ Support, anyone who wants Sword/Brawl/Authority should be free, according to the math (I'm wary of the game adding a loophole), and anyone who wants something other than Faith only needs two Activity points worth of Faculty Training to be recruited. Annette and Lysithea are tricky, but if you've been using Choir to raise Support, you've got a start on your Faith levels.

(The stat levels are tiny compared to Byleth's bases- at C+ Support, the only characters who may turn you down for insufficient stats are those looking for Charm, since the Charm thresholds are so high, Felix, if you're somehow so speed screwed you haven't gained a single point, and Mercedes/Lysithea, who need 3 Magic growth procs. By B Support, it's just the Charm students left.)

Now this is interesting. I didn't know that the stat requirements decreased based on the support level. That might change how I approach this in the future.

@bethany81707 So when I do the church route it'll be easier to recruit the other students? I maxed out all Black Eagles with Byleth and dy maxed all character supports between the team. I just started Chapter 18 so I think I will just focus on the main team before going for other students. I got Lysinthia to B support when she joined my team post timeskip. Even if I don't use renown on support levels is it easier to build up the characters support level quicker?

4 hours ago, Edelgardian said:

Even if I don't use renown on support levels is it easier to build up the characters support level quicker?

If you buy Professor Levels, yes.

Because with Professor Levels, you'll be able to do more things with your free time, including sharing meals, choir practice, or Tea Time.

However, there's no innate thing that boosts the rate at which you gain supports.

Also, it'll still be impossible to gain support levels beyond A-rank before the time skip without purchasing them.  If you purchase A-rank supports, however, then you'll be able to recruit characters pretty much automatically.  But you will only be able to purchase support levels you acquired in the previous playthroughs your NG+ is based on.  So if you only ever managed to recruit Lysithea, you probably will only have supports with Lysithea and whichever other Black Eagles members and few recruitable Knights of Seiros/Church staff you gained supports with.

And what Eclipse said.  I believe in routes outside of Crimson Flower, you'll have until the end of Chapter 12 to recruit characters.  For Crimson Flower, the time limit is until the end of Chapter 11.  Once you get beyond these points, the characters you have are all you get for the rest of the game.  The exceptions are Lysithea, Lorenz, Ashe, Seteth, and Gilbert, all given certain circumstances.  In Silver Snow (Church route), Cyril and Catherine will automatically join alongside Seteth, who always joins automatically in Chapter 12 except in Crimson Flower.

8 hours ago, Edelgardian said:

So when I do the church route it'll be easier to recruit the other students? I maxed out all Black Eagles with Byleth and dy maxed all character supports between the team. I just started Chapter 18 so I think I will just focus on the main team before going for other students. I got Lysinthia to B support when she joined my team post timeskip. Even if I don't use renown on support levels is it easier to build up the characters support level quicker?

If you're talking about Supports between characters, you can't get those with Renown. If you leave them half-finished, you're going to have to grind them up again to finish them next time.

If you're doing church route after Black Eagles, Support purchasing will be of limited use. If you're at Chapter 18, you might just be out of opportunities to claim Supports anyway.

3 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

If you purchase A-rank supports, however, then you'll be able to recruit characters pretty much automatically.

Asking to recruit them will be an automatic success.

3 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

The exceptions are Lysithea, Lorenz, Ashe, Seteth, and Gilbert, all given certain circumstances.

Lorenz and Ashe require you have recruited them pre-timeskip, Seteth is pre-timeskip, and Gilbert is first thing post-timeskip. I'm not sure how much they count.

1 hour ago, bethany81707 said:

Lorenz and Ashe require you have recruited them pre-timeskip, Seteth is pre-timeskip, and Gilbert is first thing post-timeskip. I'm not sure how much they count.

Was it a requirement to have recruited them?  I thought you just needed supports with them?

Seteth and Gilbert count as exceptions to the notion of characters needing to be recruited within a limited amount of time, and that's because no matter what you'll always get them in the routes you'd normally get them.

@Ertrick36 Yeah it is much easier to gain support in NG+ thanks to the full professor level from the get go as I have all my students with at least an support with each other and Byleth by Chapter 4. Does Renown double each playthrough or is it the same value from your last playthrough (I just want to be sure as I am using every possible Renown point to use on the Saint Statues which I completely forgot about on my last playthrough)?

1 hour ago, Edegard1902 said:

Does Renown double each playthrough or is it the same value from your last playthrough (I just want to be sure as I am using every possible Renown point to use on the Saint Statues which I completely forgot about on my last playthrough)?

Renown is retained from playthrough to playthrough, with a sizable lump added per playthrough. I'll confess to not knowing how big that lump is, but I do recall hearing it got bigger after the patch.

8 hours ago, bethany81707 said:

Renown is retained from playthrough to playthrough, with a sizable lump added per playthrough. I'll confess to not knowing how big that lump is, but I do recall hearing it got bigger after the patch.

It's 10,000 for each playthrough completed after the patch.  Up to a maximum of counting 5 playthroughs, which means if you complete the game 5 or more times you'll get 50,000 additional Renown on top of what you carry over from the previous last save.