Places to visit in Jacksonville, FL and Orlando, FL

know_naim

Any folks from Florida mind giving a hint about cool places to visit in Jacksonville and Orlando? I'm going to travel there next week, mainly for work but I'll probably have some spare time in the evening. Haven't planned anything too specific but I know there's an arcade in Orlando that might be worth checking out and I'm planning to catch a screening of Promare, since in my part of the world the chances for a cinema release are close to none. 

Recommendations for some nice food, gaming related places (maybe vintage game stores?) and record stores (I'm a huge hip-hop buff) are greatly appreciated. 

I have an aunt who lived in Jacksonville, but I haven't been there in a long time, so I'm not sure what's there. All I remember is being able to stand on the highest point in Florida. lol

As for Orlando, obviously Disney World and Universal Studios Orlando. Why would anyone go to Orlando and NOT consider at least one of the two? Though if you can't afford it or find the time, that's another story...

I'm not from Florida, but I've been there many times and would like to move there someday.

Edited by Anacybele

20 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Why would anyone go to Orlando and NOT consider at least one of the two?

Oh, that's easy for me to answer. I don't watch Disney, haven't as a kid, so don't have much interest in Disney World. Same with Universal really. 

1 hour ago, Jingle Jangle said:

For Orlando I would recommend Dave and Busters; it's a sports bar/restaurant/arcade. Lots of variety there.

Dave and Busters is a national chain.  If OP comes to Hawaii, he can visit ours.  And we have a DDR machine!

17 hours ago, eclipse said:

Dave and Busters is a national chain.  If OP comes to Hawaii, he can visit ours.  And we have a DDR machine!

Didn't know it was a national chain. There is not DDR here sadly.

Can't really think of Jacksonville/Orlando exclusive places other than nature parks and museums.

On 9/25/2019 at 10:37 PM, Jingle Jangle said:

For Orlando I would recommend Dave and Busters; it's a sports bar/restaurant/arcade. Lots of variety there.

Just came back from there, had a blast! They have Time Crisis 5 and House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn, which I finished:

20191001_171931fpknp.jpg

20191001_1849408njwx.jpg

Was definitely worth a visit, thanks for the recommendation!

Haven't been downtown yet but International Drive is like theme-park-city. Hotels, restaurants, bars and parks everywhere you look. 

In between Jacksonville and Orlando tho I stopped at St. Augustine. What a lovely city! Close to the ocean, basically a one street city centre, so you can't get lost (just follow St. Marcos and you'll get somwhere). Sleepy, swampy Florida as I would have imagined it. Took an airboat tour, ate crab legs, chilled with pirates at the castle. I don't think anything can top that place during my trip.  Also, as a European living in a +1000 year old city I had a chuckle everytime someone mentioned that St. Augstine is "ancient". 

Edited by know_naim