So I wanna write a Three Houses self insert...

Osrio12

Now before I start, I know what you're all probably thinking. 

"Why Osrio? Isn't Byleth technically a SI?"

To that I answer, "You are correct sir/madam!"  But I shall not lie to you dear readers, for I feel...just a bit self-indulgent I suppose. I'm a 22 year old man, I can still write a self indulgent fanfic if I wanna, just like that one time I tried to cross over To Love Ru with Death Note back in middle school!

DON'T ASK.

Plus it's not like I'd actually use my real name! I'm not that shameless, (shameless enough to write a SI tho, but shhhh). I got the idea after reading some of MetalLover's Awakening SI and a Fates SI called Earthborne and thought to myself "Huh, these are actually pretty good. Even Earthborne's a good read, despite my dislike of Fates!"

So that's where I am at. Before I even try this little little venture, what kind of tips would you give me to write a good Three Houses SI? I genuinely wanna try and make this a decent story.

SI, huh. I know it's a bit of a polarizing subject to write about in most fiction; but eh... for me, it's just business as usual when judging stories.

Anyway. Hmm, what kind of flavor is the SI? Would it be an actual you ending up in the story, or you essentially "take over" one of the characters (most likely Byleth, considering things).

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

SI, huh. I know it's a bit of a polarizing subject to write about in most fiction; but eh... for me, it's just business as usual when judging stories.

Anyway. Hmm, what kind of flavor is the SI? Would it be an actual you ending up in the story, or you essentially "take over" one of the characters (most likely Byleth, considering things).

Basically it'd be me ending up in the actual story, though most definitely NOT as a teacher.

26 minutes ago, Osrio12 said:

Basically it'd be me ending up in the actual story, though most definitely NOT as a teacher.

Well, if it's the actual you, it's understandable. You would be essentially a nobody in Fodlan. Byleth had being Jeralt's kid to be recommended the post... who in this scenario would still exist, then.

Anyway, perhaps one important detail to consider is... what would be the aim of the SI. Is it just go among things with the SI added in, or actually make changes to the story. Usually it's paired up with the idea that the SI knows the story in advance, has partial knowledge, or is in the dark about it.

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, if it's the actual you, it's understandable. You would be essentially a nobody in Fodlan. Byleth had being Jeralt's kid to be recommended the post... who in this scenario would still exist, then.

Anyway, perhaps one important detail to consider is... what would be the aim of the SI. Is it just go among things with the SI added in, or actually make changes to the story. Usually it's paired up with the idea that the SI knows the story in advance, has partial knowledge, or is in the dark about it.

My idea thus far is this.

My SI has knowledge of the Blue Lions route...and that's it. One idea I have is for Byleth to go Blue Lions, but the SI is thrown into the Black Eagles. So it's basically a case of seeing what'd happen if El had a morality pet to help her not go SMT final boss like she does in the BL route. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/26/2019 at 3:43 AM, Dragoncat said:

I always recommend this Alpha Brain review. Self inserts...well, if you want to publish it online, don't fall into the common traps, if not, do whatever you want.

Thanks for posting this. I've never even heard of this site before and it's SO USEFUL! I find most writing resources unhelpful; they're either super-vague, or boring, or too basic. This looks like a gold mine!

Edited by Kefowex
Provided a better link

9 hours ago, Kefowex said:

Thanks for posting this. I've never even heard of this site before and it's SO USEFUL! I find most writing resources unhelpful; they're either super-vague, or boring, or too basic. This looks like a gold mine!

You are so welcome!