Now that some time has passed, I'd like to give my thoughts on Three Houses again.

Dinar87

Your thoughts on Three Houses.  

124 members have voted

1. 1. How does it compare to the rest of the games in the series?

• The best
    • It's pretty damn good
    • It's ok I guess...
    • Mediocre
    • Worse than most

I think it's on a similar tier with Path of Radiance as the best game in the series. Which one of these is better is a difficult call for me.

But for me it's:

Top Tier:

Three Houses

Path of Radiance

Great Tier:

Sacred Stones

Awakening

Good Tier:

Radiant Dawn

Blazing Sword

Mediocre Tier:

Shadow Dragon

Bad Tier:

Fates

Boring Tier:

Shadows of Valentia

Haven't Played Tier:

Everything else.

But everyone has their own criteria. Mine are that:

1) Easier is better, and more difficulty settings with smaller jumps between difficulties is better. If there isn't a difficulty setting in which I can feel fairly challenged, but not overly frustrated, I'm not going to have a good time. This causes Three Houses, Path of Radiance, Awakening, and Sacred Stones to rank higher than Fates or Radiant Dawn.

2) Map designs don't need to be immaculate, but they do need to be thoughtful and varied. This is why Shadows of Valentia has my lowest ranking. Everything in that game looks like it came out of a procedural generator.

3) Story and characters are of the utmost importance. This is why I rank Sacred Stones higher than Blazing Sword, for example.

Edited by Etheus

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me:

Top Tier:

Radiant Dawn

Path of Radiance

Great Tier:

Genealogy of the Holy War

Fates: Conquest

Shadow Dragon

New Mystery of the Emblem

Good Tier:

Echoes

Thracia 776

Fates: Birthright

Binding Blade

Mediocre Tier:

Fates: Revelation

Awakening

Bad Tier:

Three Houses

Boring Tier:

Blazing Blade

Sacred Stones 

Edited by Fire Brand
Forgot echoes

Top:

• Fates: Conquest
  • Three Houses

Great:

• Blazing Sword
  • Shadow Dragon

Good:

• Sacred Stones
  • Binding Blade
  • Genealogy of the Holy War
  • New Mystery of the Emblem: Heroes of Light and Shadow

Average:

• Fates: Birthright
  • Echoes: Shadows of Valentia

Bad:

• Fates: Revelation
  • Awakening

Haven't Played:

• Path of Radiance
  • Radiant Dawn
  • Thracia 776
  • Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light
  • Gaiden
  • Mystery of the Emblem
Edited by De Geso

It's interesting to me how a lot of commentators here have voiced negative opinions on the game (like the story, which I found excellent), yet the poll I made for what people think of the game in general is overwhelmingly positive, I'd say this is a good sign that even though it sucks for those who didn't enjoy the game or got annoyed with various bits of it, a lot of us still found it to be a massive step up from the 3ds games (and especially fates in my opinion in terms of story immersion) and hopefully intelligent systems gets the message now that, shockingly, you can make a fire emblem game with a good/immersive story and cast of characters without all the face petting and child unit stuff forced in even when it doesn't fit.

That being said, I do think the monastery should be a one time thing only, and DEFINITELY shouldn't come back for another game, as I feel it's worn out its welcome by now with all 4 playthroughs of Three houses and most players (like myself) are already kinda tired of it even after one playthrough. So yeah, while I think it was an interesting experiment and it did work story wise when I played it, I wouldn't exactly be happy if they announced the return of the monastery's mechanics for fire emblem 17 or something like that...

But even with all that said, my list is...

Top:
Path of Radiance
Radiant Dawn
Three Houses

Good:
FE GBA games
Echoes

Mediocre/Underwhelming:
Awakening
Fates

Haven't played or finished:
Fe 4, Fe 5, shadow dragon, new mystery of the emblem

Edited by Dinar87

My opinion the camp/monastery is that it should stay, but should be WAY smaller.

1) Keep the camp small enough that travel time isn't cumbersome.

Edelgard's 1 chapter war camp in Crimson Flower is a perfect size.

2) Absolutely no instances or loading screens.

We don't need to explore barracks, bedrooms, or upper floors, thank you.

3) No boring busywork. 

Lost items should go away forever and fishing should be strictly optional (it should certainly not be the only way to grind Professor level). 

And that's really all I have to say about it. A minimalistic camp approach would be much better for replay value.

2 hours ago, Etheus said:

My opinion the camp/monastery is that it should stay, but should be WAY smaller.

1) Keep the camp small enough that travel time isn't cumbersome.

Edelgard's 1 chapter war camp in Crimson Flower is a perfect size.

2) Absolutely no instances or loading screens.

We don't need to explore barracks, bedrooms, or upper floors, thank you.

3) No boring busywork. 

Lost items should go away forever and fishing should be strictly optional (it should certainly not be the only way to grind Professor level). 

And that's really all I have to say about it. A minimalistic camp approach would be much better for replay value.

Combine this with less Professor level grinding. Training with the experts and eating/gifting is fine, but the monastery is way too huge.

Also, do away with the calendar (which likely also means student training is automated/eliminated). Seriously, the calendar should be revamped heavily or eliminated.

7 minutes ago, Ivan Tridelan said:

Combine this with less Professor level grinding. Training with the experts and eating/gifting is fine, but the monastery is way too huge.

Also, do away with the calendar (which likely also means student training is automated/eliminated). Seriously, the calendar should be revamped heavily or eliminated.

I'm not sure how to feel about the calendar.

On one hand, it feels natural with the turn based gameplay, gives you a sense of time scale, and lets you plan out your preparations. 

On the other hand, it kills urgency because you always have an entire month before your next mission, no matter how urgent it is.

It's a difficult call. It would be nice if they could combine the planning aspect of the calendar with the urgency of a more traditional system. I just don't know how that might be accomplished. Perhaps by condensing the time scale on more urgent tasks. IE: A time sensitive mission could have its planning schedule take a few days instead of a month, but all of those few days are free days.

Top Tier

• Three Houses
  • Fates
  • Shadows of Valentia
  • New Mystery of the Emblem

Great

• Shadow Dragon
  • Binding Blade
  • Blazing Blade

Underwhelming

• Sacred Stones
  • Genealogy of the Holy War
  • Awakening

As for the calendar system, I like it, but I wish the  game did more with it. Frankly, one of my biggest gripes with the game is the monotony of weekend activities. You either listen to 10 diffident supports, talk to every NPC in the monastery, or do 3 auxillary battles in a row. I don't have an issue with any of this stuff individually, but I wish the game spread these activities out more. Letting you switch between explore and auxiliary battles , sprinkling out the explore conversations over the month, etc. would have helped break the monotony.

Also, I may be in the minority here, but I wish dungeon exploration was in this game instead of auxillary battles. It would have helped the game's world building by quite a bit.

I'd just have each of the activities occur once a month. So one exploration, one instruction, and one opportunity for extra battles. How much benefit you get from each would obviously be scaled to the reduced frequency. In this context it doesn't really matter if the story mission pops mid-month because everything else would have been "set" at the start of the month.

The Good (in approximate order)

Heroes
Three Houses
Awakening
Blazing Sword
Sacred Stones
Birthright/Conquest

The Bad

Revelation

The Ugly

Shadows of Valentia

Ooh, we tiering now? Let's go!