Is the game easy enough to play blind?

I plan on playing FE12 after finishing Three Houses and was wondering if the game would be worth playing with a walkthrough. I found Shadow Dragon easy but i needed a walkthrough to know which troops I should focus on as you get way too many.

Depends on the difficulty.:

• Maniac/Lunatic? Waaaaay too hard blind.
  • Hard, not too bad, your main issue will be same turn reinforcements.
  • Normal doesn't have same turn reinforcements, and shouldn't be that difficult.
  • Add Casual over Classic if you want to.

As for who to use, MyUnit/Kris, and Palla & Catria are three big names who usually do extremely well. Marth as the main character and final boss buster should get some levels. And you might want to train Sirius, Merric, Julian, and Minerva for the final fight too- but you can get away without doing so.

Technically, most characters do grow well, even a bunch (but not all) of the prepromotes like Jake, Tomas, and Sheena. But those who join earlier tend to have an easier time of unlocking their potential, the latecomers on even Hard will find their base stats a bit precarious.

7 minutes ago, Edegard1902 said:

@Interdimensional Observer So it'd be fine to just use who I like then? I might just use a smaller team of my favourite characters rather than a larger army.

Although it has the largest playable roster in all of FE, FE12 gives too few unit slots to use them all, or anything close to it. A team of no more than 15 should suffice.

And yeah, on Normal or Hard, you should be able to get away with whoever you want.

Maniac and Lunatic however devolve into "Must use", "Can be used with babying", and "Free Silvers"- everyone else who is hilariously bad and is worth only their good starting weapons.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

4 hours ago, Edegard1902 said:

I plan on playing FE12 after finishing Three Houses and was wondering if the game would be worth playing with a walkthrough. I found Shadow Dragon easy but i needed a walkthrough to know which troops I should focus on as you get way too many.

I mean there's only like a few instances where you should use a guide, namely for accessing the various side quests, as well as having Minerva visit a specific village near the end of the game.

I played it mostly blind, and had only previously played Awakening prior to playing this game.

Hell, even some of the things that were obscure/not clear in the previous game (e.g. who to bring to the endgame chapter to recruit certain characters) are made abundantly clear.

The only thing I'll say is there may be one particular character recruitment where you'll need to talk to an enemy multiple times to get them on your side.  That, and... character creation is a bit obtuse, because they don't let you in on the secret that the questions asked in the beginning are actually setting up your beginning stats and growth rates (sort of like Awakening's/Fates' boon/bane, Asset/Flaw system, but without actually making it clear what you're setting your character up for).  Fortunately, you can use this to help you figure it out.

You probably won't have much of an idea which stats are most valuable in this game, but it's not too much of a concern because the avatar in this game will almost always turn out ridiculously powerful.  Also, while there's only a bit of a disparity between the genders as far as class access is concerned in Three Houses, in this game that disparity is much more significant, as there are five male-exclusive classes and only one female-exclusive class (which males share the promotion of).

3 hours ago, Edegard1902 said:

@Interdimensional Observer So it'd be fine to just use who I like then? I might just use a smaller team of my favourite characters rather than a larger army.

A very large chunk of this game's cast is little more than fluff and replacements for the characters that initially join you if they die, so that's fine.  I'd even say you don't need to train the last four that Mr. Observer recommended.  It makes things easier, sure, and they're definitely not bad units, but you still don't need to do it.

Though I will say that if you want to cripple your team and render them as useless as physically possible, be sure to only use Arran "No Growths" Johnson as much as you can.  Have him use all the best weapons and every single stat booster so that no actually good units can benefit from them.

Stick with Hard, at most.  You'll want to have a thief handy early-on, because the chests are worth looting.  The difficulty spikes are in the middle, and at the end - you'll know them when you see them.  Oh, and use the reclass feature liberally - this will save your sanity.  Yes, Wendell looks ridiculous as a Swordmaster.

7 hours ago, eclipse said:

Stick with Hard, at most.  You'll want to have a thief handy early-on, because the chests are worth looting.  The difficulty spikes are in the middle, and at the end - you'll know them when you see them.  Oh, and use the reclass feature liberally - this will save your sanity.  Yes, Wendell looks ridiculous as a Swordmaster.

You sure about Hard? Ambush spawning is a thing that exists on Hard Mode, and trust me, it's a bitch in this game

3 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

You sure about Hard? Ambush spawning is a thing that exists on Hard Mode, and trust me, it's a bitch in this game

Normal's really boring, and Lunatic is way too nuts.  Hard is the closest middle ground - stats aren't totally out-of-this-world, but it forces some thinking.  And it doesn't delete certain items, too.

If you didn't find normal mode challenging for Shadow Dragon, I would recommend hard mode. The normal mode in this game seldom puts up any threat to average to above average units. I'm not going to be one of those difficulty-entitled people as I've only completed lunatic mode in one fire emblem game (I like gba games better so Hector Hard Mode FE6 Hard Mode). As long as you read dialogue, I'm pretty sure you won't miss much in this game (as opposed to Shadow Dragon, where prior knowledge helps greatly).

@Roy: Marquess of Pherae Yeah I just started my first GBA FE FE7 game yesterday and so far it is probably one of my favourite games so far and can be played blind without issues at all. Playing Shadow Dragon was like playing an outdated SNES game. I absolutely loved it once I figured out the mechanics and din't try to use too may characters.