So about two certain supports...

Osrio12

Can someone explain to me why Gilbert and Alois are even S-Rank options? Like...for context, Alois and Gilbert are..married men. Yet when playing as Male Byleth, seeing an S-Rank there indicts that you'd be able to romance them, yeah? Then you do them and it's just kind of a platonic thing, giving me some Nam flashbacks to the horror that is all but two of Soliel's S-Supports.

I like the option to support them, I really liked Gilbert in my Blue Lions playthrough...but I don't see the point in giving them S-Supports , I really don't. Am I missing something here?

The only guess I could hazard is they wanted to shoehorn in the obligatory S-support option for every single character in the game, but didn't want to make it romantic with Gilbert and Alois... so instead they made them S-support options for both genders so that it wouldn't feel like a female could arbitrarily get a deeper platonic bond with them than a male could.

In other words, it's a symptom of the poisonous notion that every playable character needs to be an S-support option for the avatar.  But that's just my guess, I think only the developers actually know why they're options.

4 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

The only guess I could hazard is they wanted to shoehorn in the obligatory S-support option for every single character in the game, but didn't want to make it romantic with Gilbert and Alois... so instead they made them S-support options for both genders so that it wouldn't feel like a female could arbitrarily get a deeper platonic bond with them than a male could.

In other words, it's a symptom of the poisonous notion that every playable character needs to be an S-support option for the avatar.  But that's just my guess, I think only the developers actually know why they're options.

It's kind of a lose-lose situation. If everyone's a marriage candidate, people complain about shoehorned options like these two. If some people are left out, people complain because not everyone is equal.

9 minutes ago, Edegard1902 said:

@Gregster101 They should have at least added an S support for Claude with male Byleth as that relationship actually doesn't seem forced. Also is Lindhart just interested in your crest or something for the S support?

That's partly true but he also wants to be a crest scholar to help guide/work with Byleth and studying the Crest of Flames is probably a priority for him, Linhardt also confesses he loves Male Byleth anyways and talks about retiring together so there's a good amount of romance involved at least.

Side note, choosing 2 non-widowed, married men with children (Alois says he has a wife and child in his monastery dialogue during the ball) for gay support options feels haphazard. Like if you're gonna go through all this trouble to promote diversity, at least do it right. (Also kinda sus they chose the top 2 most popular females and one of the more popular non-BE females for lesbian supports, and gave gay supports 2 married men as options). Sothis and Rhea make sense but are also kinda weird.

Edited by Lunarly

I'm pretty sure Alois and Gilbert aren't supposed to be gay support options in the same way that Linhardt, Dorothea, etc. are; don't you end up marrying a spouse of the opposite sex in that ending? It's supposed to be a platonic, congratulations-you're-adopted ending which just makes it real weird that it involves you giving the man a ring.

Obviously there should have been more mlm endings. Though I also think there should have been way less straight endings so who cares what I think

13 hours ago, Osrio12 said:

I like the option to support them, I really liked Gilbert in my Blue Lions playthrough...but I don't see the point in giving them S-Supports , I really don't. Am I missing something here?

Because unlike with every other character, A rank does not denote a paired ending for Byleth, thus S rank was added so that the player could choose their paired ending. It couldn't be A+ because that already exists in supports as an extra support alongside C+ and B+. My problem isn't that these S-ranks are platonic, it's that they're the only platonic S ranks, however that is probably for the best; imagine if people saw some Claude or Dimitri S rank only to find out it was simply a platonic eternal friendship ending? Imagine if Edelgard hadn't been Bysexual.

12 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Basically, but you can't deny that there's a strong subset of the Fandom that wants that, no? It seemed to me that the original anger around these two wasn't that married men were supposedly gay options, but that they weren't attractive gay options.

33 minutes ago, CyberNinja said:

Basically, but you can't deny that there's a strong subset of the Fandom that wants that, no? It seemed to me that the original anger around these two wasn't that married men were supposedly gay options, but that they weren't attractive gay options.

Yeah, I think that's the problem. Female Byleth gets quite a few options, while the male is really only stuck with one. Granted, Linhardt is awesome, but, yeah.

1 hour ago, Elephantus said:

Yeah, I think that's the problem. Female Byleth gets quite a few options, while the male is really only stuck with one. Granted, Linhardt is awesome, but, yeah.

I find it rather shallow regardless, but by the time I joined the fandom, this was rather set in stone; so there is little point in my complaining about people obsessing over romance options.

5 hours ago, CyberNinja said:

I find it rather shallow regardless, but by the time I joined the fandom, this was rather set in stone; so there is little point in my complaining about people obsessing over romance options.

Fair point. I actually like how romance was toned down in this game compared to Awakening and Fates. Getting a few paired endings was nice though. Made me smile.

I love the romance in this game, particularly the romances of the non-byleth characters. You can control them to a degree but most likely you won't control it or at least not for everyone. So it feels really organic how it unravels and since there isn't any children, that removes all the gamey feel of those relationships. As to the original question, nope I can't explain this strange choice, I have no idea what went through their heads.

4 hours ago, Any_ILL said:

I love the romance in this game, particularly the romances of the non-byleth characters. You can control them to a degree but most likely you won't control it or at least not for everyone. So it feels really organic how it unravels and since there isn't any children, that removes all the gamey feel of those relationships. As to the original question, nope I can't explain this strange choice, I have no idea what went through their heads.

A fair point in this regard! For context, I was trying to set up Sylvain and Ingrid and Ashe with Annette. I liked how their supports went.

But then things happened, like Sylvain getting touched by Lysithea's Dark Spike and Ashe getting a healthy dose of "Fuck You" from Edelgard. Back up was to have Dimitri marry Ingrid, but then I beat the game and Dimitri and Dedue just have a wholesome bro ending. Made me kinda tear up. Felt nice despite half my army dying.

And upon further reflection, I remember Fates doing this exact same thing when changing all but two of Soliel's S-Supports. Then again Gilbert and Alois have more personality in their right arm than Soliel herself does so--

Just now, Edegard1902 said:

@Osrio12 Is there a way to pair two characters besides Byleth in Three Houses or is it just the supports between the characters?

If you're pairing characters from the same house, just get them to A-rank each other first.

If they're from different houses/factions, have them be the only ones with A-rank supports with one another.

From what I've heard, there's some priority system.  This typically favors whichever A-rank supports you acquired first, but I think the faction they come from takes precedent over that.  So if you had, for example, Bernadetta acquire an A-rank support with Raphael first but then get an A-rank support with Linhardt, I think she'll end up getting paired with Linhardt assuming Bernadetta is Linhardt's first Black Eagles A-rank support.  This of course completely ignores A-ranks made with Byleth since Byleth only has paired endings with whoever they can S-support.

As far as I can tell, any pair that has an A-rank support is viable for a paired ending.  It won't even give favor to opposite-sex/romantic pairs because I remember Linhardt and Caspar got their paired ending despite having various A-rank supports all around.

At the end of my current playthrough it'll be random because I just viewed any support as it became available and all the Golden Deers have maxed supports with each other and Byleth (not S yet). I'm honestly surpised I haven't got bored of the game yet as I have played BE route then went to and nearly finished GD route and still want to play BL route afterwards and I'm still uturely obsessed with the game. Once I finish I'll play either Sacred Stones or Fates the FE6/7.

I love Alois' support since by the end he really feels like Byleth's big brother, only fitting since both were raised by Jeralt. But I will never understand why they chose to make it an S support instead of an A+, it just made things too confusing. Even if they were going to keep it as a S support paired ending then they should have announced from the start that it was a super best friends ending instead of romantic because a lot of gay fans felt baited. 

While on the subject I wish they would adopt a better system than having every character be avatar-sexual, it feels too gamey. Instead of the avatar being able to romance everyone of the opposite sex, there should be supports that only go to B rank or A rank then a couple that can hit A+ rank and finally a select few available for S rank. I find that kind of a system to be more realistic than the wish fulfillment thing that is going on right now. Also, if there are only a handful of potential lovers for the avatar it would be a lot easier to make them all avatar-sexual regardless of gender to give gay fans more representation in the game. 

Edited by LilyRose
clarity