Best and worst voice performance in the series?

Alastor15243

16 minutes ago, De Geso said:

I think Ingrid's voice is really bland. From what I have heard out of her she sounds incredibly bored in the English dub.

My favorite voice performance in the series is Cherami Leigh's Rhea. I don't play with the dub but I've listened to her performance and she remains one of the only English VAs I consistently enjoy listening to.

I get what you mean about Ingrid. She also has this issue that's a problem I have with most of the cast: none of their lines seem to match their voices. Like, Claude's all "hey there, teach!", but literally everything else he ever says is not remotely worded anything like that. Everything he says is just as verbose and formal-sounding as everyone else's dialogue, despite the voice actor trying to come across as informal and irreverent with everything he says. It can be pretty awkward at times.

46 minutes ago, De Geso said:

I think Ingrid's voice is really bland. From what I have heard out of her she sounds incredibly bored in the English dub.

My favorite voice performance in the series is Cherami Leigh's Rhea. I don't play with the dub but I've listened to her performance and she remains one of the only English VAs I consistently enjoy listening to.

Ingrid does sound a little bland but she always seemed like a rather subdued person so I think it fits. 

Cherami Leigh is probably one of the better VA's out there. She has amazing range and can do a little ball of energy like Mae or a lunatic like Eagles Rhea equally well. Her range is definitely her biggest asset. I recall the year she really got on my radar she did Mae, good girl Makoto and A2 who's very rough and hostile. 

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

I get what you mean about Ingrid. She also has this issue that's a problem I have with most of the cast: none of their lines seem to match their voices. Like, Claude's all "hey there, teach!", but literally everything else he ever says is not remotely worded anything like that. Everything he says is just as verbose and formal-sounding as everyone else's dialogue, despite the voice actor trying to come across as informal and irreverent with everything he says. It can be pretty awkward at times.

Do yourself a favor and play the game with Japanese audio. The only thing you miss is some of the miscellaneous battle dialogue if you have no Japanese understanding.

37 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Ingrid does sound a little bland but she always seemed like a rather subdued person so I think it fits. 

Cherami Leigh is probably one of the better VA's out there. She has amazing range and can do a little ball of energy like Mae or a lunatic like Eagles Rhea equally well. Her range is definitely her biggest asset. I recall the year she really got on my radar she did Mae, good girl Makoto and A2 who's very rough and hostile. 

2017 was the year I first noticed Cherami Leigh as well - I won't say I'm glad Echoes and Persona 5 don't have dual audio, but a small upside is that I'd have never found out about her voice work if they did.

Edited by De Geso

44 minutes ago, De Geso said:

Do yourself a favor and play the game with Japanese audio. The only thing you miss is some of the miscellaneous battle dialogue if you have no Japanese understanding.

I'll keep that in mind if I ever feel compelled to play that game again 🙂

Edited by Alastor15243

Focusing only on the more modern titles, Fire Emblem's voice acting is generally solid throughout, with Echoes and Three Houses being two of the best dubbed games I know of. I will say that I never really cared for Mercedes, Jeritza or Ingrid's voice actors; the first two felt weirdly out of place with their odd voices, and Ingrid sounds so disinterested. 

Of course, I vastly prefer them over many of the screeching voices of the Japanese versions. Listening to Japanese F!Corrin, Felicia and Bernadetta, to name a few, causes me physical discomfort.

I really can't think of anything bad unless we go back to Tellius era but even then that's when VAing first happened. I guess I have voices I find ... annoying? Maybe just Caspar. OH and HINOKA. That's one I just haaaated.

On 9/28/2019 at 9:57 AM, NinjaMonkey said:

Best: The "The Queen's men are attacking!" guy from the Execution cutscene at the end of RD's part 2. Dude is hilarious as all hell, and never fails to make me laugh.

Worst: Radiant Dawn Mia (Lani Manella). Considering that she also did Micaiah's voice at the beginning of the game (which was fine), I have no idea how she put in such a terrible performance as Mia (or why she's still the voice of Mia).

Best: Laura Bailey as Lucina, very rarely have I seen the english voice actor surpass the original japanese voice.

Worst: "Oh Soren, always lost in your books."

I'm playing Azure Moon with Japanese voices and... I'm kinda surprised by how much better the dub is, frankly. The original version has it's fair share of great acting (JP Hubert is just as excellent as EN Hubert, EN Mercedes is the reason I decided I was gonna try the Japanese on Azure Moon and the original voice for that character has not disappointed) but many of the performances that stood out to me in English fall flat in comparison. Rhea and Seteth are the big ones for me - the English voice acting does a masterful job of portraying Rhea's anger and Seteth's frustration. The Japanese isn't bad, per se, it's just... the English is really, really good.

Favorite voice acting is definitely Ian Sinclair as Berkut, as was the entire English cast of Echoes as a whole (except for maybe one or two in my opinion). But especially Ian.

As for least favorite...I can't say I'm fond of English Effie. Oh, and any female JPN voices that make them sound so...screechy? F!Corrin's "canon" voice, Olivia's, Bernadetta's...all of these I really don't like at all.

For my best, I would say a good amount of voices in Echoes and 3 Houses. Too many are too good to say one stands out for me.

As for worst, I would say Selkie. Her English voice sounds trying to be a cutesy anime character; instead pains me everytime I hear it..  

I'm fond of Shinon's voice in his RD appearance, his lines were just so natural in comparison to Rolf and Mist in the same cutscene, I hope they consider bringing his VA back for heroes like they did with Mia's.

Norne's dialogue in Heroes is too stilted for it to sit comfortably with me. It's cute, but her "Aw, Geez," is where it's most noticeable.

Out of the games I played:

Best: Ami Koshimizu for Maiko Shimazaki in TMSFE - she sounds like a grown-up Yukiko in her airheadish moments (especially when Yukiko got drunk at Tatsumi Port Island in Persona 4) - very fitting.

Worst: Uhhhh, why does Nah's english voice sound like a 30-year-old?! She's supposed to be much younger (in essential terms - considering she ages slower) than the rest of the cast in Awakening.

Worst is probably going to be SCRATCH MY EARS! TELL ME i'M GOOOD! SNUGGLE TIIIIIIIME!

I kinda like it though. It conveys how annoying Selkie must surely be. 

There's nothing wrong with Robin's voice actor but for some reason he's just awful in Smash. It really sounded as if he was in the booth for one second and was just dying to get out again. In Fire Emblem he's actually quite good though. 

Naaah you know what picking on Mercedes is too basic. What's up with 50+% of female VO in Heroes? Everybody's trying to be a squeaky mouse. Sound like a normal person, like Marisa or Catria. I'm guessing the problem is the artwork, since you need to act like you're the chibi/moe twelve year old girl in the picture. People hated Lachesis but her voice fit the character a dozen times more strongly than the artwork did. I blame the nature of gatcha games. Trying to make us boner pull because there's nothing of real value in these trading card characters.

God I'm annoyed Heroes has better gameplay than some FE games.

Edited by Glennstavos

Bernadetta's JP voice is one of the various factors that singlehandedly killed me from using the Japan version.

Fuck that noise.

Echoes cast is baller and better than Three Houses on average. God I love the localization there.