Call To Hacking Arms!

Atlos

Soooo I'm looking to develop an fe hack but am not able to do it all on my own due to time constraints so this is a 'call to arms' if you will of budding fe hackers to band together and hopefully make something worth a dam

So if your interested just comment on this with what you can do and we will try and take things from there

Either 

A: basing  it of irl wars but with fire emblem or

B: having a hack where the main gameplay loop is not just fighting but convening enemy's to revolt thus turning them too green units  

1 minute ago, MSAtlos said:

Either 

A: basing  it of irl wars but with fire emblem or

B: having a hack where the main gameplay loop is not just fighting but convening enemy's to revolt thus turning them too green units  

The first one is very broad.  Perhaps you could brainstorm some particular wars from history to borrow elements from.

The second one sounds like it could have some potential, but it would be tricky to balance the traditional approach of training a limited amount of your own units alongside a more conversation-based approach of turning enemies into allied NPCs that fight for you so that both are equally viable.  I know it should be possible in SRPG Studio with a lot of eventing, but I'm unsure how possible it is in GBA hacking since I don't hack.

24 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

The first one is very broad.  Perhaps you could brainstorm some particular wars from history to borrow elements from.

The second one sounds like it could have some potential, but it would be tricky to balance the traditional approach of training a limited amount of your own units alongside a more conversation-based approach of turning enemies into allied NPCs that fight for you so that both are equally viable.  I know it should be possible in SRPG Studio with a lot of eventing, but I'm unsure how possible it is in GBA hacking since I don't hack.

They both are either too long and too much of an undertaking (a shorter project would be preferable) or fundamentally flawed so that's why they have just been ideas

and regarding your first point I was thinking something like the battle of hastings

7 minutes ago, MSAtlos said:

They both are either too long and too much of an undertaking (a shorter project would be preferable) or fundamentally flawed so that's why they have just been ideas

and regarding your first point I was thinking something like the battle of hastings

If you'd rather do a shorter project just to get your feet wet with common hacking tools, then there's nothing wrong with, say, doing a reskin or balancing alteration patch for one of the GBA games.  Sacred Stones hacking with FEBuilder seems to be all the rage nowadays.

Personally I prefer SRPG Studio for its high flexibility and ability to do certain things hacking can't, such as additional weapon types beyond what GBA Fire Emblem typically allows and Bases like in the Tellius games.  But that stuff may not be necessary for you yet.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

I have considered doing project like reskins and balances which I may properly release one day but the reason its is kind of defeating the point for me. What I like about hacking is making new things but I will consider what  you have said.

And as for srpg studio maybe one day but I'm too cheap right now 

The only other thing I can suggest for you in that case is to continue brainstorming gameplay and story ideas.  I can tell you from experience that having at least a significant portion of these developed and written out before you start jumping into a game creation program can help expedite the development process.