What do you think of locked spell lists?

KelluPato

3 hours ago, Chaotix said:

I like the system and I think it makes different characters feel more unique, but I do think it could use a few tweaks:

1. Add tomes which allow a unit to use a spell not on their normal spell list. These could be either durability-limited, or single-use and they permanently teach the spell to that unit.

Maybe like a skill scroll or a training session with the Professor? That would be a good idea!

8 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

This. This so, so much. I don't get why Dark Magic had to be its own thing when it's so niche; making Miasma, Dark Spikes et al. another branch of Black Magic would have made things much simpler and reduced the number of Skills needed too, since it's not just Gremory that suffers from having to account for both types of Magic.

I think the biggest loser in the Black/Dark Magic split is Edelgard- the only character to learn both Black and Dark Magic. This is at least partially because I tried Mortal Savant as her magic class, but Edelgard only gets Dark Magic Range +1, so she only gets that boost to the 2-use Luna and Hades while Fire and Bolganone are stuck where they are.

Good idea, bad execution.

Dark and Black should have collectively been under "Reason" magic (and Faith instead of White), the distinction opens up massive issues (Lysithea doesn't benefit from Warlock passives despite that class being part of her natural progression, Edelgard gets screwed as told by Bethany above, and literally every other female gets an utterly useless skill if they go Gremory)

Byleth has a garbage Faith list despite having a budding talent in Faith that makes sense canonically

I don't mind a lot of characters having mediocre to garbage lists considering they aren't supposed to be mages (canonically, anyways) and making them into one is more for silly/pure fun playthroughs instead of efficient, but Byleth's list really irks me. He/She should probably have a better Reason list too, so he/she can be good (not necessarily great) at everything.

Edelgard's budding talent is undermined by her special class (Emperor) and overall best class (WL) both being locked out of magic altogether.

Marianne is GD's canonical healer but doesn't get Fortify or Restore like Mercedes and Lindhart, which is odd.

I would like a compromise between this system and the anyone can use any magic system. Like, every time a character would learn a spell, they unlock a new spell slot, and maybe 1-3 new spells, and you can pick and choose what spells they have equipped before a battle. I like the idea of each character having particular talents, but some flexibility would be appreciated. It’s especially sad when a character has great stats for magic but a lackluster spell list *cough*Annette*cough*, or lackluster magic stats but a surprisingly good spell list, like Bernadetta (seriously, Thoron, Fimbulvtr, Physic, and Rescue, but a 20% Magic growth? That’s a criminal waste).