Favorite Fates Parent-Child combination [Gameplay]

SubwayBossEmmett

Hey haven’t seen much of this topic around here but do you have any personal favorite pairing for parents in Fates for the resulting Children?

A personal favorite of mine is Jakob!Shigure via the magic of parallel class inheritance because Jakob passes down Troubadour line, and Azura can’t pass down Pegasus line nor Troubador again so it gives him the opposite of that which is Wyvern Rider! If you wait to recruit Shigure (which isn’t fast in without an effort) he can pick up Rally speed before heart sealing into a Wyvern Lord and stack both of those before Rally Man shows up.

Azura!Dywer is pretty cool too for a flying staff bot, but CQ has plenty of Falco captures so maybe give him Shelter for a niche too. 

Effie!Percy is probably the most optimal pairing in Fates and is like the singular instance where a kid doesn’t mind not having Camilla as a mother. 

I like Felicia!Nina okay.

I think Effie isn't really a good mom for any unit, it's just that Effie!Percy is fast and easy so people pretend like it's good. But I've never been too impressed with any of Effie's kids.

As mentioned, +MagMU!Ophelia is broken. (Ophelia is just broken, though).

I tend not to use kids too much outside of Ophelia and Nina, come to think of it, unless I have Mozu or Selena to give Silas I guess. Sometimes I'll recruit the kids just for the gold and exp but I typically stick to gen 1 units.

Oh, yeah, I sometimes use Selena or Mozu for Soleil instead.

Edited by De Geso

5 minutes ago, De Geso said:

I think Effie isn't really a good mom for any unit, it's just that Effie!Percy is fast and easy so people pretend like it's good. But I've never been too impressed with any of Effie's kids.

Not sure if you’ve been unlucky or something hit Effie’s growths are pretty bonkers. 50% personal growth for speed which any child appreciates. +2 Def is solid inheritance for any child too, but Knight isn’t the best class to pass down. 

13 minutes ago, De Geso said:

You know, even though I have defended Sniper Effie and Berserker Effie on various occasions, I am of the opinion that Effie is a better mama than she is a unit.

Effie passes the highest Strength bonus and growth, and decent Speed. Most importantly, she can bear children by Chapter 12.
True, those growths are not enough for an Enemy Phase front liner, but, honestly, the only DNA capable of creating Aryan children is Camilla’s, and the only early children who could be at the front-lines are Sophie and Percy. So, if most children will be Player Phase units anyway, then Effie’s DNA is great, for it will grant them enough Strength and Speed to one-round (or one-hit) any enemy. And killing power is the most important asset for Player Phase units.

1 hour ago, starburst said:

You know, even though I have defended Sniper Effie and Berserker Effie on various occasions, I am of the opinion that Effie is a better mama than she is a unit.

Effie passes the highest Strength bonus and growth, and decent Speed. Most importantly, she can bear children by Chapter 12.
True, those growths are not enough for an Enemy Phase front liner, but, honestly, the only DNA capable of creating Aryan children is Camilla’s, and the only early children who could be at the front-lines are Sophie and Percy. So, if most children will be Player Phase units anyway, then Effie’s DNA is great, for it will grant them enough Strength and Speed to one-round (or one-hit) any enemy. And killing power is the most important asset for Player Phase units.

Actually Berserker Effie sounds fun, next time I play CQ I might give that a shot. I'm guessing she gets that from Arthur S support?

9 minutes ago, SubwayBossEmmett said:

Actually Berserker Effie sounds fun, next time I play CQ I might give that a shot. I'm guessing she gets that from Arthur S support?

Or from Cornflakes or Keaton. Getting from Arthur is faster, though (by Chapter 10.)
As a Berserker or as a Sniper, Effie can finally give a proper use to her Strength and Speed and become a "Delete button" on Player Phase.

On topic: I did not mention Ophelia and Odin because I thought that it was obvious. But just in case, the Mad Mages are, by far, the most broken parent-child combination, and a fitting pair of weirdos.

In general, it's hard to say since I tend to vary my pairings, but I like Felicia as a mom for Ophelia or Nina, primarily the former.

4 hours ago, SubwayBossEmmett said:

Effie!Percy is probably the most optimal pairing in Fates and is like the singular instance where a kid doesn’t mind not having Camilla as a mother. 

I'd say mages would also be better with non-Camilla mothers.

35 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I'd say mages would also be better with non-Camilla mothers. 

I mean that's basically only Ophelia [and Forrest], and even then there's merit to turn Ophelia into a Malig Knight with inherit tome rank and auto levels as a dark mage.

Edit: Camilla also doesn't nuke speed like Beruka does when considering just trying to get Malig Knight.

Edited by SubwayBossEmmett

10 minutes ago, SubwayBossEmmett said:

I mean that's basically only Ophelia [and Forrest], and even then there's merit to turn Ophelia into a Malig Knight with inherit tome rank and auto levels as a dark mage.

Edit: Camilla also doesn't nuke speed like Beruka does when considering just trying to get Malig Knight.

Perhaps, but I don't really consider Malig Knight that great a class. I'd rather have Ophelia specialize in magic than have her able to use both axes and tomes only for her to end up not being good with either.

Edited by Shadow Mir

I originally tried Azama x Azura to give Shigure multiple rallies on Birthright (Speed+Luck+Magic), but I stayed for the glass cannon Mitama that was  one of my offensive units, she also gets access the Falcon Knight class for what it's worth. (to be honest, when i focus on reclassing options I think of it as me justifying buying skills of said class because I do not feel like grinding for skills despite being way easier in Fates than Awakening) She turned out better than Sakura as a Priestess, better strength and just enough magic to notice the healing giving a noticable amount of HP.

Camilla!Velouria slaughtering things left and right was one of the reasons why Velouria is one of my favourite Fates characters, I also like how her stats made use of the effects of the Beaststone and Beastrune while making the trade off not noticable.

14 hours ago, SubwayBossEmmett said:

Not sure if you’ve been unlucky or something hit Effie’s growths are pretty bonkers. 50% personal growth for speed which any child appreciates. +2 Def is solid inheritance for any child too, but Knight isn’t the best class to pass down. 

14 hours ago, starburst said:

Growths don't matter.

All that's important for child units in Fates is base stats and class options. Knight line sucks and Troubadour is shit for the one Knight. The STR base is nice but not enough to really make her that great of a mom imo.

30 minutes ago, De Geso said:

Growths don't matter.

All that's important for child units in Fates is base stats

That’s the thing, when you take auto-levels from children into consideration you get tangible proof of a growth actually mattering in Fates. Because those are literal stat averages  

35 minutes ago, SubwayBossEmmett said:

That’s the thing, when you take auto-levels from children into consideration you get tangible proof of a growth actually mattering in Fates. Because those are literal stat averages  

You cut off half my point, and the more important part - class options.

1 hour ago, De Geso said:

You cut off half my point, and the more important part - class options.

I mean the other point is true to an extent but I just wanted to point out how growths in CQ children directly correlate to Bases because autoleveling is factored in. 

I’ll address the clas line issue now though.

You’re right, Effie does pass a subpar classline overall but Effie works great when that child doesn’t care about Class inheritance much like Percy Sophie and Siegbert (imagine not making Charlotte!Siegbert though) because they’re likely already have access to/are in their endgame classes. 

Part of the reason why Percy is general is so baller is that he starts in the best classline.

I guess you could desibe Effie as a filler mom but I think he growths and +2 Def is solid enough inheritance over say... Selena for most people. Although something that would be cool is a Selena!Sophie who would have Pegasus Knight access and lance rank in CQ which would be cool. 

Maid Charlotte paired up with Leo is surprisingly decent.   She gives him much needed speed and some strength to actually use swords.  Plus I always preferred his supports with her over Xander's anyway. 

Forrest wasn't anything special,  but he's blonde and had enough strength to use daggers effectively so that's all I cared about. 

7 hours ago, De Geso said:

Growths don't matter.

All that's important for child units in Fates is base stats and class options. Knight line sucks and Troubadour is shit for the one Knight. The STR base is nice but not enough to really make her that great of a mom imo.

Want to bet that any of Mozu's early children with Aptitude destroys any of Camilla's early children?

Whenever I say "children" in Conquest, I actually mean "early children." And out of those children who can be recruited early, I am in fact talking about Sophie, Nina and Ophelia.
(Velouria is a non-standard case for me, because whenever I recruit her I grind supports using the Before Awakening map so that she is available right after Chapter 14. For this reason I will ignore her in my argument, even though I have recruited her plenty of times.)

Those three girls are always recruited by Chapter 11-12, and show up around Level 10.
· Ophelia could not care less about the class or skills from her mama, since her innate build is broken.
· Sophie might prefer Wyvern Rider, but her innate class tree suits her perfectly in any of her final four classes as a "second liner."
· If Nina has a magical mother, she can use her Dark Mage class tree. And if her mama is physical, she might prefer Wyvern Rider (or Ninja or Archer, but those are not available), but Bow Knight does the job. In fact, unless her mother passes great stamina (hint: only Camilla does it), Nina might never be sturdy enough to use the Wyvern Rider class effectively, and may well prefer Bow Knight as a purely Player Phase unit.

The eligible mothers are Cornflakes (or Felicia), Elise, Effie, Mozu, Azura, Nyx, Selena, Camilla and Beruka. (A wider pool might also include Peri and Charlotte, but their children would not actually be "early" recruitments.)
Camilla's milk create monsters, no doubt. What is interesting is that all other mothers only give growths but not bases. None of those mamas is able to bear children with high enough bases so that their children at Level 10 can actually rely on them. And the only ones with an "interesting" class tree are Beruka and, well, Cornflakes (and Beruka's children must exchange their Speed for a Wyvern.)

Thus, in the case of early-recruited Ophelia, Sophie and Nina, it is their growths and not their bases what matters. They do not even need to inherit a class to fulfil their roles in the party.

1 hour ago, starburst said:

Want to bet that any of Mozu's early children with Aptitude destroys any of Camilla's early children?

Whenever I say "children" in Conquest, I actually mean "early children." And out of those children who can be recruited early, I am in fact talking about Sophie, Nina and Ophelia.
(Velouria is a non-standard case for me, because whenever I recruit her I grind supports using the Before Awakening map so that she is available right after Chapter 14. For this reason I will ignore her in my argument, even though I have recruited her plenty of times.)

Those three girls are always recruited by Chapter 11-12, and show up around Level 10.
· Ophelia could not care less about the class or skills from her mama, since her innate build is broken.
· Sophie might prefer Wyvern Rider, but her innate class tree suits her perfectly in any of her final four classes as a "second liner."
· If Nina has a magical mother, she can use her Dark Mage class tree. And if her mama is physical, she might prefer Wyvern Rider (or Ninja or Archer, but those are not available), but Bow Knight does the job. In fact, unless her mother passes great stamina (hint: only Camilla does it), Nina might never be sturdy enough to use the Wyvern Rider class effectively, and may well prefer Bow Knight as a purely Player Phase unit.

The eligible mothers are Cornflakes (or Felicia), Elise, Effie, Mozu, Azura, Nyx, Selena, Camilla and Beruka. (A wider pool might also include Peri and Charlotte, but their children would not actually be "early" recruitments.)
Camilla's milk create monsters, no doubt. What is interesting is that all other mothers only give growths but not bases. None of those mamas is able to bear children with high enough bases so that their children at Level 10 can actually rely on them. And the only ones with an "interesting" class tree are Beruka and, well, Cornflakes (and Beruka's children must exchange their Speed for a Wyvern.)

Thus, in the case of early-recruited Ophelia, Sophie and Nina, it is their growths and not their bases what matters. They do not even need to inherit a class to fulfil their roles in the party.

*Screams in Percy*

*Mutters in Dwyer*

*Seduces in Soliel*

In all seriousness bases are relevant (IE why wyvern!Elise makes a better Ophy than Troub) and skills are soooorta(?) relevant.

That said this is a mostly correct assessment as growths give base for our purposes. Kids created outside the  2nd shop-prech14 gap are almost completely irrelevant and we want everything possible on em and more importantly, on their parents.

#SiliasXKaze OTP.

------

But seriously, on topic the only answer is Ophelia and Odin. In every way. Fight me.

Edited by joshcja

2 hours ago, joshcja said:

In all seriousness bases are relevant (IE why wyvern!Elise makes a better Ophy than Troub) and skills are soooorta(?) relevant.

That said this is a mostly correct assessment as growths give base for our purposes. Kids created outside the  2nd shop-prech14 gap are almost completely irrelevant and we want everything possible on em and more importantly, on their parents.

Hey, mate! Bases matter, a trained Odin fathers a better Ophelia than a L5 Odin would. My point is that when one recruits early children (around Ch 12 and at Level 10), the bases that the available mamas could pass to them are less important than their growths and caps, precisely because none passes real, significant bases! None of those mothers can actually bear L10 Aryan children, capable of relying on their bases. Furthermore, with the given bases, if the early kids also had low growths, they would not meet the thresholds required for certain roles chapters later.

Ophelia is probably a bad example since she is self-sufficient, but +Mag Cornbread, Elise, Felicia and Nyx all bear basically equal Ophelias. I prefer Cornflakes because of Dragon Fang, slightly better Skill and Defence and DV, or Elise because of Lunge and DV, but all four should produce an Ophelia capable of, say, soloing most of Kana's Paralogue by Chapter 12 or of wiping the Generals in Chapter 18 or the Stoneborn in Chapter 21 with Lightning.

In the same vein, skill inheritance matters, but the skill pool is rather limited for early children, and the available skills are hardly game-changing. The servants have the edge here, but they hardly reach L15 before Chapter 12 (when I usually recruit the kids.) Cavaliers, Archers, Pegasus and Samurais have useful early skills, and Dragon Fang and Lunge are great too. The thing is that when one analyses each particular case, most of the skills available to be passed early are not determining.

With planning, Sophie and Nina can get +4 Attack from their Archer dads before Chapter 12, and Silas could also pass Strong Riposte, but from the early relevant mamas only +4 Attack from Mozu, +5 Speed from Selena and Dragon Fang shine. Effie and Azura give them nothing; Camilla and Beruka would pass a skill that is now part of the class tree of their children; Elise could pass Lunge to Nina...
Ophelia has a bit more Luck for she can get the Samurai skills from her dad, Lunge from Elise or Camilla, Mov +1 from Nyx, Dragon Fang...

Once again, I focused on Ophelia, Sophie and Nina because they are the children that I usually recruit. I am sorry that I did not mention Ninja Warrior Soleil or Fire and Blood Percy, but I think that the points stand for all early kids.

But seriously, on topic the only answer is Ophelia and Odin. In every way. Fight me.

No one would dare to challenge those wise words. It is known.

Edited by starburst

Mind you! I simply go for story/dialogue accuracy. (I don't get too deep on the status and such) 

These were my favorite revelations' pairings (no particular order) 

Hana/Keaton - I read Velouria's support where she said her mom smelled like flowers. Hana response was cute enough to marry her to Keaton on my playthrough. 

Odin/Orochi - Their supports are cute and I seriously believe Orochi would raise a kid like Ophelia alongside her husband. 

Selena/Hinata - in this one she was not aggressive towards the man in question and they both acted really friendly and cute. Love it. 

Saizo/Charlotte - Shhh... Just try it. Also, Asugui support with Charlotte? Tottaly worth it. 

"Use your friends as shields" Charlotte, mother of the century XD

And for the Avatar in general:

F-Avartar|Corrin/Izana - It may feel generic in their pair supports but it's worth it once you see Izana's support with Kana. 

Edited by Nightgalleon

3 hours ago, Nightgalleon said:

It may feel generic in their pair supports but it's worth it once you see Izana's support with Kana.  

It's honestly crazy in general how much unique dialog they made for the Kanas and all their countless Parent Child conversations. Izana's is something special though

Edit: Also if you're counting Rev pairings, check out Odin and Kagero they're sweet together. Also in the unreleased Parent Child DLC convo between Ophelia and Kagero Ophelia has a vision of her grandmother for a painting and she literally describes saying she was similar to Last Elise I find that so hilarious that there is at least one spot in all of Fates that says they do look similar. Makes the Fruedain Fun of Elise!Ophelia's existence even more fun.

Edited by SubwayBossEmmett

46 minutes ago, SubwayBossEmmett said:

It's honestly crazy in general how much unique dialog they made for the Kanas and all their countless Parent Child conversations. Izana's is something special though

Edit: Also if you're counting Rev pairings, check out Odin and Kagero they're sweet together. Also in the unreleased Parent Child DLC convo between Ophelia and Kagero Ophelia has a vision of her grandmother for a painting and she literally describes saying she was similar to Last Elise I find that so hilarious that there is at least one spot in all of Fates that says they do look similar. Makes the Fruedain Fun of Elise!Ophelia's existence even more fun.

Wow I didn't know they adressed that topic (even if unreleased). That it's pretty damn awesome! And I honestly ignored Odin could marry Kagero, that now is something new I'll have to check sometime 😄

7 hours ago, SubwayBossEmmett said:

Also if you're counting Rev pairings, check out Odin and Kagero they're sweet together. Also in the unreleased Parent Child DLC convo between Ophelia and Kagero Ophelia has a vision of her grandmother for a painting and she literally describes saying she was similar to Last Elise I find that so hilarious that there is at least one spot in all of Fates that says they do look similar. Makes the Fruedain Fun of Elise!Ophelia's existence even more fun.

I assume that your are referring to this translation of the support conversation:
https://fe14festivalofbondstranslations.tumblr.com/post/147212778928/hoshidan-festival-kagero-and-ophelia-parent-child

In my opinion, Ophelia looks way more like Lissa than Elise does. I find Elise's cheeks a defining characteristic of her facial expressions, while Lissa and Ophelia have "slimmer" faces.
It could also be that Ophelia was talking about the similarities of Lissa's and Elise's "auras", personalities, manners, and not exactly about their faces.

17 hours ago, starburst said:

Hey, mate! Bases matter, a trained Odin fathers a better Ophelia than a L5 Odin would. My point is that when one recruits early children (around Ch 12 and at Level 10), the bases that the available mamas could pass to them are less important than their growths and caps, precisely because none passes real, significant bases! None of those mothers can actually bear L10 Aryan children, capable of relying on their bases. Furthermore, with the given bases, if the early kids also had low growths, they would not meet the thresholds required for certain roles chapters later.

Ophelia is probably a bad example since she is self-sufficient, but +Mag Cornbread, Elise, Felicia and Nyx all bear basically equal Ophelias. I prefer Cornflakes because of Dragon Fang, slightly better Skill and Defence and DV, or Elise because of Lunge and DV, but all four should produce an Ophelia capable of, say, soloing most of Kana's Paralogue by Chapter 12 or of wiping the Generals in Chapter 18 or the Stoneborn in Chapter 21 with Lightning.

In the same vein, skill inheritance matters, but the skill pool is rather limited for early children, and the available skills are hardly game-changing. The servants have the edge here, but they hardly reach L15 before Chapter 12 (when I usually recruit the kids.) Cavaliers, Archers, Pegasus and Samurais have useful early skills, and Dragon Fang and Lunge are great too. The thing is that when one analyses each particular case, most of the skills available to be passed early are not determining.

With planning, Sophie and Nina can get +4 Attack from their Archer dads before Chapter 12, and Silas could also pass Strong Riposte, but from the early relevant mamas only +4 Attack from Mozu, +5 Speed from Selena and Dragon Fang shine. Effie and Azura give them nothing; Camilla and Beruka would pass a skill that is now part of the class tree of their children; Elise could pass Lunge to Nina...
Ophelia has a bit more Luck for she can get the Samurai skills from her dad, Lunge from Elise or Camilla, Mov +1 from Nyx, Dragon Fang...

Once again, I focused on Ophelia, Sophie and Nina because they are the children that I usually recruit. I am sorry that I did not mention Ninja Warrior Soleil or Fire and Blood Percy, but I think that the points stand for all early kids.

No one would dare to challenge those wise words. It is known.

Mom bases matter if we pump them to 20/1 before kids ^_^

It also improves our skill pulls.

Edited by joshcja

Mom bases matter if we pump them to 20/1 before kids ^_^

It also improves our skill pulls.

Do all of your units reach L20 by Chapter 13? 😱
I mean, it is not far-fetched, for my units class change in Ch 14 or Ch 16, but at L19. The thing here is that I try to recruit all children before Ch 12.