Who is the Hero class... for?

Corrobin

There are quite a few people who have Sword and Axe strengths. But the majority of those people have other things they want to do, or are girls.

Edelgard can't access it, because she's a girl.

Claude, once he gets his Axe Hidden Talent up, can access it... but he wants to raise his flying and bow skills for his personal classes.

Petra is a girl.

Ferdinand wants to go into cavalry classes or armored classes.

Seteth wants to stay in the flying classes.

So... who is Hero for?!

27 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

There are quite a few people who have Sword and Axe strengths. But the majority of those people have other things they want to do, or are girls.

Edelgard can't access it, because she's a girl.

Claude, once he gets his Axe Hidden Talent up, can access it... but he wants to raise his flying and bow skills for his personal classes.

Petra is a girl.

Ferdinand wants to go into cavalry classes or armored classes.

Seteth wants to stay in the flying classes.

So... who is Hero for?!

Well, Ferdinand shouldn't be on a armored class because...you know and cavalry hinders a little of his speed, so he might want to spend some time in Hero.

That being said, there's no real need to have a double aptitude to be good into a class. Sylvain doesn't have one for Swords and he was a beast as a Hero.

Also, aren't personal classes a ''Rank-E'' thing? I mean, you don't choose to class-change into them as they're story-wise.

I honestly thought Hero was supposed to be what Byleth would be in for a while, but then I learnt that FByleth can't even be in it, and Enlightened One cropped up before I got Hero on my first run.

Honestly, Assassin is kinda just better too. RIP Hero.

We need a flying sword class, so it's logical to make Hero (rename it Superhero if you wish) a flying sword class. Bonus in that it means there's one exclusive flying class line for each gender.

11 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

We need a flying sword class, so it's logical to make Hero (rename it Superhero if you wish) a flying sword class. Bonus in that it means there's one exclusive flying class line for each gender.

How about we add a Gryphon rider for the flying sword class instead?

1 minute ago, Etheus said:

How about we add a Gryphon rider for the flying sword class instead?

Less comedic, but I'll take it. Still leaves the Hero class pointless though, which appears to only exist for tradition's sake. Three advanced footlocked swordfaire classes is madness.

There's still a gap in advanced spear-wielding infantry classes - y'know, the most common type of soldier in human history - but I don't know how the most traditionalist section of the FE community would react to having a legacy class repurposed like that.

13 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Less comedic, but I'll take it. Still leaves the Hero class pointless though, which appears to only exist for tradition's sake. Three advanced footlocked swordfaire classes is madness.

There's still a gap in advanced spear-wielding infantry classes - y'know, the most common type of soldier in human history - but I don't know how the most traditionalist section of the FE community would react to having a legacy class repurposed like that.

Oh, we need an infantry lance master class as well, but lance users always get.... THE SHAFT. 😂

Yeah hero is pretty mediocre compared to other options. And it doesn't help that its a male locked class. When in past games both genders could be it. Severa and Echidna both come to mind for this.

I think Hero is just kind of there, honestly. It's not even that great in this game, aside from maybe the innate Vantage and Swordfaire combo.

With that said, I made M!Byleth a Hero in most of my playthroughs, because no one else was using the class and I still have the whole Mercenary -> Hero promotion thing in my head. It also felt the most appropriate, because Byleth starts out as a mercenary (not the class, but the profession, hence the lower case "m").

But yeah, Swordmaster or Assassin would be where it's at if I went for an easy "optimal" class for them.

It’s really only worth it if you want Defiant Str, but considering it’s situational and generally needs conjunction with Vantage and other low-health triggers it’s not that high on the priority list. Haven’t tried it on Maddening enough to know if those types of abilities jump up the tier list for that difficulty.

Edited by Escape the Fate

10 hours ago, Etheus said:

Oh, we need an infantry lance master class as well, but lance users always get.... THE SHAFT. 😂

Hang on; didn't you make that pun accidently in another thread some months back (and I pointed it out)?

I agree that it would've been great to get some form of faster lance infantry in this game; something like Soldier -> Halberdier -> Sentinel -> Commander. 

Anyway; I have yet to play the game, but Hero's always been a bit of a jack-of-all-stats, master of none. The only reason really to use it in a lot of previous FE games had less to do with the class itself, but instead was that there was always that one mercenary/hero, lets call him Ogma (because that's the name of the archetype), who joined the team early on, had great stats and just kept getting better. In Three Houses, anyone can become almost any class, so there is no Ogma. So I can understand hero not really having anyone suited for it. 

35 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Hang on; didn't you make that pun accidently in another thread some months back (and I pointed it out)?

I agree that it would've been great to get some form of faster lance infantry in this game; something like Soldier -> Halberdier -> Sentinel -> Commander. 

Anyway; I have yet to play the game, but Hero's always been a bit of a jack-of-all-stats, master of none. The only reason really to use it in a lot of previous FE games had less to do with the class itself, but instead was that there was always that one mercenary/hero, lets call him Ogma (because that's the name of the archetype), who joined the team early on, had great stats and just kept getting better. In Three Houses, anyone can become almost any class, so there is no Ogma. So I can understand hero not really having anyone suited for it. 

Yes. Yes, yes I did and yes you did.

My initial reaction was "oh, yeah, the Hero class. I completely forgot."

One big reason is that I'm very skewed towards magic users, but in cases where I do want to raise on-foot physical units, I'd just go for Brigand/Warrior for axe users, and Assassin for sword users. I also don't recall anyone ever retaining their original character models when reclassing to Hero.

It's nifty on a vantage build since you can save a skill slot, and having swordfaire synergizes with wo dao+. Other than that it's kind of pointless.

I will say I made Seteth one on a hard run and he turned out as one of my best units, not that a personal single run matters but I can say it worked once.

I thought it worked pretty well for Felix. But even then, aside from his canon class (swordmaster) he seems to favour more the brawling classes and assassin.

Otherwise, I can't think of anyone in the game who would be a good fit as a hero, even just canonicaly. (aside from Catherine, but once again, she's a girl)

Edited by Modirufa6317

Yeah, I genuinely don't get the incentive to use Heroes or Swordmasters, given how good the Assassin is in this game.

That said, I took Caspar Myrm->Merc->Hero and he's... alright. Fairly fast and strong, but not much bulk. Might boost his gauntlets so he ends up as War Master, though.

• 11 months later...

I know this topic is dead, however there are some merit towards Hero that can make it one of the best sword-based Advanced classes (at least in Maddening). In Maddening, if you set up the Felix or Byleth (or any other Male character that starts with a great sword proficiency) focus on Axes. This allows you possibilities in Deadly Blow, Armored Blow, or even Wrath which synergizes well with Hero. It allows for a very reliable frontline fighter in Maddening that has adherent Vantage (common mistake of just going into Mercenary while making a Hero. If anything, focus on the Axe classes that can make it a balanced class). This allows an aggressive and defensive playing style that could be complimented by Retribution. So long as your hero does not die in a single hit, they can do some extremely deadly counterattacks while still having room for other great skills. My personal favorite set up is:

Pavise

Deadly Blow

Wrath

Axe Proficiency

Sword Proficiency

The only character I've semi experimented this class with was Balthus and that is because of his personal ability allowing him +6 in Str/Def if he is under 50% which does compliment the vantage ability the Hero class has. And Defiant Strength is only good if you're willing to risk death pretty much. The pay off is no joke but it's just a matter of if the player wants to take that kind of risk

I've tried once on Dimitri for sword and hp/str/spd growth on an old run. ngl, doesn't shine enough to tempt me to keep a character there like Assassin, and sadly, I also don't find Sword + Axe lending itself to progress onto any of the master classes too well. Say, if I wanted axes for wyvern master, there's already wyvern rider with will also net me flying. Grappler, I find better for a character going into War Master, and just tutor axes.  

Pity as it's one one my favourite classes from some of the GBA/3DS titles. The critical animation on the gba was so dope.