Units you didn't expect to like but ended up liking? -Possible Spoilers-

Osrio12

Among the playable units in 3H, who did you end up loving that you didn't expect to love? It can be for gameplay reasons, story reasons or both. For me, it's Raphael. Having completed his and Ignatz's paralogue in Part 1 for my GD run, Raphael should have every right to be mad at Lorenz's father for the suspect involvement in his parents' deaths, but amazingly the guy does not let it get to him. I think Raphael's come to the conclusion that while what happened to his folks was a tragedy, it was also years and years ago. He's got other things, namely his little sister, to worry about and needs to keep moving on despite what happened. 

Frankly I think he and Claude are among the best of the GD's characters personality wise.

Seteth is the big one. I thought he would be the token jerk character who would be unreasonably hostile to the player avatar just to reinforce how good the main character actually is. Instead Seteth only ever said reasonable things whenever he complained about the main character. And side from that reasonable distrust he doesn't seem cynical at all but comes off as a fairly tender mentor figure to lots of unit and an amusing stick in the mud with others. He's probably my favorite character. 

Annette. She is the only one i thought was gonna be annoying as hell and have no personality and just be a generic dork. BOY was i wrong. she got a great personality and theres for sure lots of depth. Her friendship with mercedes, her dad gilbert, her house and its history, and her personal relationships with all the other characters. Very well rounded and her time skip design and quotes are so amazing. She's your girl!

Hilda: Her original design did not look impressive. Barely in pre prelease footage, with a pretty annoying trait. My opinion changed when she turned out to be on the of the better students in the game combined with some clever jokes.

Rhea: I thought she would be Emmeryn 3.0. What changed is how involved she is in the plot ( for the first part at least). And a strong performance in a certain scene. 

Linhardt - I thought he was a loser from his design. Then his personality ended up winning me over. He became my favorite very quickly.

Seteth - Starts out generically grumpy, but reveals serious layers. Considering he had villain flags all over him pre-launch, he came out great.

Lorenz - He falls into my favorite character archetype (the flowery, acerbic noble looking for love). And while I still don't like him nearly as much as Bastian or Virion in that type, he's grown on me despite his design. I hope they continue playing with this archetype in future games. Hell, give us a female version... like a Manuela with style and class.

Leonie - the tomboy archetype has been pretty mixed. On the high end, I really like Lethe and Rinkah. On the low end, Sully, Kjelle, and Effie are the character equivalent of burnt toast. So Leonie's placement was pretty uncertain... and I ended up really liking her as both a unit and a character. She's super good in the early game. Like... blatantly the best unit on the field good. Almost Jeigan like when her personal skill is triggered. Her low str growth kind of continues that trend, but she naturally leans into one of the best classes and thus stays relevant all game. She's beautiful post time skip, and she's a really likable person. 

Edited by Etheus

Petra, assumed she would be like Rinkah 2.0 (aka tribalist with an edgy, aloof attitude that wants to be left alone 24/7) and I did not like Rinkah as a character because that's all she did in her supports. Was pleasantly surprised when she was not like that at all, in fact she's quite the opposite.

I think one that stood out was Mercedes. I thought her voice was annoying and her design uninspired and I hate characters that worship the church, so I was surprised to really, really love her based on her supports and her interactions with the other characters. I recruited her on my other runs after Blue Lions because I literally couldn't stand to hurt her, she's such a gentle, kind soul. 

Also Dimitri. I just thought he'd be boring based on that haircut and I really liked everyone else in his house, but when I actually started playing, his dorky, odd darkness really got me. I found myself so invested in him and he jumped to one of my favorite characters because of his depth and passion and violence.

I also think Hanneman and Manuela ended up being characters I really loved. I didn't necessarily use them, but I thoroughly enjoyed making sure they had supports with other characters because I enjoyed watching them! 

Bernadetta also became a favorite. Shy, recluse characters aren't my thing, and I was worried she was going to get old quick, but she consistently made me laugh in her supports.

And Hubert. I just thought he was going to be annoying or boring, and he ended up being one of my favorite characters on BE's route. His devotion and cold nature resonated with me, and I just loved that he took no false punches. He told it like it was, and I just enjoyed him insulting characters so easily without any regard to emotions. "I don't do condolences". It was so well done because of course he wouldn't give a crap your dad just died and I appreciated that little touch. 

Last but not least is Hilda. I loved her design, but her description made me roll my eyes. And wow. She was amazing. Not just gameplay wise, but she was so funny. Aside from Bernadetta, Hilda made me crack up in a lot of her supports. She was always true to herself and I loved that. I was so upset when I couldn't recruit her on the BE route and had to kill her. 😞

Edited by Kiran_

Raphael, Ignatz, Dedue and Ferdinand

in particular, i used to hate raphael because i thought he was all about "muscles muscles muscles", before the game's release, but then i found out he's also a good, caring (in his own way) and easygoing guy

I think Annette, Dedue and Ferdinand are my big ones. I just had zero expectations of them, but I like them quite a bit now. Annette is super charming and has a great voice actress that really sells her as a character, Dedue is so gentle and I like Ferdinand's earnest personality and the rather complex situation he ends up in.

Definitely Felix for me. The guy originally rubbed me the wrong way with how cold and harsh he could be. I'm also not typically a fan of tsundere type characters. As time went on though he grew on me through his supports. Especially those he has with Annette it is the cutest thing! 

Edit:

Oh yeah also Hubert as well. At first I found him rather creepy and "Lady Edelgard this Lady Edelgard that" was a bit annoying. I've also never really liked dark mages in general which is his canon class. As I got to know him though, I really grew to like him even as a dark mage (he was great at nuking stuff for me). His S support with Byleth is also super sweet in my opinion. Bummer you can only get him in one route...

Edited by Holla99

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Seteth is the big one. I thought he would be the token jerk character who would be unreasonably hostile to the player avatar just to reinforce how good the main character actually is. Instead Seteth only ever said reasonable things whenever he complained about the main character. And side from that reasonable distrust he doesn't seem cynical at all but comes off as a fairly tender mentor figure to lots of unit and an amusing stick in the mud with others. He's probably my favorite character. 

Seteth and Hubert both did a great job with this role, IMO. It's especially tasty because, inevitably, one of them will be proven right in their distrust. Using traditional Mary Sue-isms for actually good narrative purposes is an unusual thing that Three Houses does pretty well I think.

For me the main character I turned around on is Ferdinand; the movement of my perception was basically identical to Dorothea's.

Dimitri - At first I thought he was boring but the guy turned out great.

Ferdinand - a typical arrogant noble guy but his supports and dialogue post chapter 11 won me over. 

Dedue - see Dimitri.

Annette was probably one of the biggest ones.  Went from "wow, she is a character to exists" to making one of her dopey songs my member title.  She's an adorable, inoffensive character whose only issue is working too hard.

Also didn't think I'd like Flayn as much as I ended up liking her.  Same with Seteth and Alois.

And I didn't think too much of Rhea because I thought she'd just be generic motherly maiden who dies for dramatic effect.

Oh, and Sylvain's been kind of a roller coaster for me.  I don't know why, but I went from being interested in him to being disappointed by his "gimmick" to greatly appreciating the depth behind his personality.  It really caught me off guard when he got super dark and serious in his support with Byleth.  I also appreciate his complicated feelings for his brother.

Just to name a few:

Leonie-I didn't really think much of Leonie before the game came out other than the fact that I'd be using her since I was starting with Golden Deers. Jeralt obsession aside, I ended up really liking Leonie quite a bit, and she's become one of my favorite Golden Deers students.

Felix-I kind of assumed Felix would've been just another edgy myrmidon type character, and he was more or less an impulse recruit in my first GD run cuz of how easy he was. He ended up growing on me by the time I did my second BL playthrough, and I really do like his supports with characters such as Seteth, Annette, Sylvain, and Ashe.

Hanneman-Hanneman was probably the biggest surprise for me. I just sort of expected to be a cooky old man who has an obsession with crests, and while that is kind of the case, I ended up really liking several of his supports, namely with Lysithea and Hubert. He's probably my fourth favorite church character after Shamir, Seteth, and Alois.

Annette-I absolutely ADORE Annette. I expected her to just be a cute nice girl and nothing really more than that, but I fell in love with her when I used in my Blue Lions playthrough. I love her supports with Ashe, Felix, Mercedes, and I also found myself really interested in her relationship with her father Gilbert. Best Blue Lions girl, don't @ me

Edited by Gregster101

6 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

Annette-... I love her supports with Ashe, Felix, Annette, and I also found myself really interested in her relationship with her father Gilbert. Best Blue Lions girl, don't @ me

I'll @ you because you listed "Annette" as one your favorite support chains for Annette.

Are there really two Annettes in this game @Gregster101?

Also, if there's ever to be a singstar/karaoke spin-off for FE, Annette's gotta be the protagonist or I'll riot.

For me there's quite a few characters that I ended up liking despite not expecting much of them.

• Firstly Dimitri because from his design and initial conversations before choosing a house I was expecting him to be generic, boring goody two shoes prince so I was surprised when doing the Blue Lions route that he became one of my favourite characters due to his development and support with other characters.
  • Ferdinand and Lorenz because I was expecting them to be typical uptight nobles but when going through their support I ended up really liking them and how sweet they were with the other classmates.
  • Hilda  because while she was cute her conversations around the monastery made me expect her too just be "I'm too lazy etc." (which she is) but I like how she is being true to herself and does care about the others but doesn't want to cause disappointment. Plus it made me glad I went with male Byleth for my GD run ans her S support was great.
  • Hubert because he original seemed like his personality would be 'Lady Edelgard' but he was actually really great and I loved how he appeared sinister in some supports but showed that he cared for them e.g. Bernie. 
  • Annette for reasons stated above but how she wasn't annoying as expected and she was a fun somewhat dorky character but not overexaggerated. Her supports with Gilbert were great and I loved her supports with Ashe.

Really I love pretty much every main character in the game which usually doesn't happen.

While there are plenty of characters I expected to dislike but ended up fine with, "fine" is not "like". The only one who truly fits the category is Seteth, for reasons already outlined by others here.

Quite a few, honestly

Seteth, Ferdinand, Lorenz, Dedue and Hubert, as stated by others here.

I originally wasn't too sold on Cyril during my Blue Lions run, but he won me over with his incredible performance as a unit in GD, and his supports with Hilda, Ignatz, Claude and Lysithea were all really well done. Now he's one of my favourite characters.

And, finally, Ignatz. I expected him to be really generic, maybe something like Shigure, which, while not necessary bad, would feel a little uninspired. What we got was someone who actually felt super grounded and real, and, as cheesy as it sounds, he actually forced me to take a good hard look at myself (because after you've shouted a dozen times at the TV that Ignatz should just ask his damn question, you start to realise being as timid as he is is kind of a problem). While he got benched really early in my GD run, he's putting in work in my Church run (stealth is such a good skill, you just have an invisible rally/seal bot running around, its hilarious).

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

I'll @ you because you listed "Annette" as one your favorite support chains for Annette.

Are there really two Annettes in this game @Gregster101?

Also, if there's ever to be a singstar/karaoke spin-off for FE, Annette's gotta be the protagonist or I'll riot.

Oops, meant to say Mercedes 😛 Lemme fix that

Oh, this could get big if I take too much time into thinking..

Felix. Sure, he's pretty much 70% of what I was expecting him to be. However, where he really shinned for me was that 30%. I'm just not going to give much details because..I need to sleep.

Ignatz was a surprise both for gameplay and background. His relationship with Raphael and his family was one of my favorites inner-stories. Also, he was my most hyped character in every run that I did. Lethality never been so fun to use in a debuffer (his main job in most battles). Also, 1% crits are a thing with this guy. 

Annette and Gilbert. (People have already pointed out everything that I could say) 

And..Dorothea? I mean, she didn't skyrocket in my likeness for her. She still the female character that I'm least interested with, but I found her to be a good overall character. (Also, she was the only offensive mage with actual speed on my Blue Lions Team /don't ask me about Lysithea, even I don't know what happened/ and a meme between my friends)

I don't like womaziers, and I don't like cheaters.  But somehow, Sylvain has become a staple on my teams.  He's never marrying Byleth, but at least he's a sweetheart to his other classmates.  And damn does he have a good support with Dedue.

The other staples?  Ashe and Petra.  Had no opinion of either of them when I first saw them.  Ashe's supports are sweet, and Petra's not afraid to try and try again. . .and because I don't want to face Petra as an enemy, ever.

Seteth had so many villain flags around him (even as far as giving him Koyasu's voice in a time where people would just meme his voice) that it was kind of impossible don't imagine him as a jerk, snob, sinister minister.

But oh boy, I was wrong, and I'm happy that my expectations were subverted.

7 hours ago, Troykv said:

(even as far as giving him Koyasu's voice in a time where people would just meme his voice)

VpPgJX5.png

I ended up liking Seteth too, lmao

One character I forgot to list was Edelgard.  Well, actually, all of the house leaders.  Given I usually don't take much interest in the actual main characters of most entries in this series (maybe because my first few FE games were Awakening, Fates, and New Mystery of the Emblem, and I didn't care much for very many of the main characters in those games), I was quick to write off the three main leaders of each of the Fódlan countries.  But I ended up finding myself liking them quite a bit.  Edelgard especially, mostly because she seemed kinda... soulless, I guess.  Or like she'd be just another naive princess or have the personality of a rock.  I just expected nothing from her, but ended up surprised by what there actually was to her.

Dimitri seemed like he'd just be Mr. Generic FE Lord #16, but him having that visceral dark side to him really set himself apart from the usual idealistic lords of the series.  And Claude... just a charming, chill guy.  Also the smartest of the trio, for sure.  It's hard not to like him, and it's hard not to like his English voice actor who seems to embody everything about the character he portrays (right down to giving Lorenz shit and pitting his followers against each other for giggles, lmao).