Units you didn't expect to like but ended up liking? -Possible Spoilers-

Osrio12

I didn't get good first impressions from either Cyril nor Lysithea. The both seemed just kind of needlessly mean to other characters at times, and Cyril also seemed a little boring at first. Lysithea especially seemed pretty rude, and making her adore cake / fear ghosts felt like a cheap way to make her seem "cute". 

Then I saw their supports together on my second GD playthrough and, while I still wouldn't call either character my favorite, their support line together has cemented itself as one of my absolute favorites in FE history. That support line was actually adorable without having to cop out with cake or anything. 

Felix - Seemed like a standard edgy jerk, but he does actually care about others, and he has some good supports. I love the one he has with Flayn, especially.

Raphael - He’s not just about building muscle and eating. He’s incredibly wholesome, and he’s been through a lot but is doing amazingly well. His supports also are pretty hilarious sometimes. Case in point- The Dovakhin training he gives Flayn

Lorenz - My one problem with him, his skirt chasing, gets dropped post timeskip, and it turns out he has some really good ideals for nobility, rather than just being some stuck-up nobleman like I thought he was.

Ashe - I didn’t have much of an opinion on him, although a friend greatly expressed an aversion to possibly having to kill him in later runs. Lo and behold, he turns out to be one of the most wholesome characters in the game. It definitely helps that he has a lockpick personal skill. Having a freely moving thief on Wyvern-back makes things so amazing. He’s a guaranteed recruit here-forward along with Lysithea.

Cyril- I didn't particularly like this guy, but seeing all the hate he gets made me develop a soft spot for him. The dude grew up in a pretty shitty situation, so his devotion to Lady Rhea for granting him a better, if somewhat difficult life, is understandable. I like his high growth rates and all-around decent weapon proficiency too, letting him slot into a variety of roles rather well.

Ignatz- Again, a character I didn't really care for until I saw his low ratings in various polls. If I'm being honest, I really resonate with his philosophy of troubling himself instead of others. His tendencies are rather relatable too, like hiding what he's doing, and feeling indebted to his parents. In-game, I like how versatile he is. I've ran him as an Assassin, Wyvern Lord, and Mortal Savant, and he's done well in every class thanks to personal skill.

Annette- As someone who doesn't talk to girls that much, I was surprised by how much I loved Annette's more plain, bubbly, and hard-working attitude and aesthetic compared to other characters in the cast. She's beautiful on the inside, and would be an awesome person to have as a friend.

Felix- Thought he was a bit of a jerk honestly, and as someone who takes other people's words at surface value,  a lot of his comments to Dimtri and others stung. But I liked him a lot more when I realized his rebellious personality was nothing more than a facade to hide how much he cared for others. On my Golden Deer run, I was shocked to see how regretful he was when Dimitri had died, and throughout my second Blue Lions run, he legitimately gave the impression that he didn't want Dimitri to die. I wish he had more interactions with Rodrigue though. As a unit, he's bonkers. He felt mediocre as a Swordmaster, assassin, and Mortal Savant, but as a Sniper / Bow Knight, he really shines. While the Aegis Shield drastically cuts his AS, he's still able to double reasonably well, and being able to potentially halve damage gives him a solid enemy phase.

Sylvain is a good example. Saw him as another skirt chaser trying to get all them girls and shit. After seeing some of his supports, such as with Byleth, and the mixed feelings he has towards his bro, I was like “someone give this man a hug”

Ferdinand. He completely flew under my radar. I don't think I even started paying attention to him until my second playthrough. I gave him a lot of attention during BE:C and I'm so smitten with him. Unbelievably so. I'm impressed at how charming and cute he is. He looks like a puppy. I feel like he gets sort of side swept because his "other side" isn't immediately obvious, or people aren't just interested in learning. But the fact that he secretly feels so insecure and inadequate, in comparison to Edelgard.. it just really hit me. I know what it's like to constantly be second best compared to someone you're close to. 

Let's just say I'm expecting several Ferdinand charms in the mail before the end of the year.

Lorenz was a huge 180 for me, he started as this pompous oaf that seemed like he looked down on everyone but then I saw he really cares for the commoners, like a parent looking after children.  The moment he really clicked for me was in the Catherine support when he said if the people revolt that means the noble was at fault and is to blame.  Also in his Byleth support it was all about him hitting on women so I thought he'd be another skirt chaser like Inigo or Sylvain, but thankfully it was only that support, not the defining part of his character.

Hilda, honestly. Not dislike, but rather “eh, I don’t care” prior to release. She was my last choice in the GD crew to pair my avatar with. Now she is close to Lysithea for taking that role. But no one beats Marianne for me.

19 minutes ago, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:

Hilda, honestly. Not dislike, but rather “eh, I don’t care” prior to release. She was my last choice in the GD crew to pair my avatar with. Now she is close to Lysithea for taking that role. But no one beats Marianne for me.

When I started GD I was honestly expecting to be indifferent towards her but I ended up loving her nearly as much as Lysithea and Marriane (another character I wasn't expecting to like but ended relating to her a lot and she went through great character development).

11 hours ago, Nowi's Husband said:

Lorenz was a huge 180 for me, he started as this pompous oaf that seemed like he looked down on everyone but then I saw he really cares for the commoners, like a parent looking after children.  The moment he really clicked for me was in the Catherine support when he said if the people revolt that means the noble was at fault and is to blame.  Also in his Byleth support it was all about him hitting on women so I thought he'd be another skirt chaser like Inigo or Sylvain, but thankfully it was only that support, not the defining part of his character.

Lorenz is a fascinating and very unique character; he's the concept of noblesse oblige manifested as a person with an insufferable haircut. I think he's the "ideal" noble character in a way that a lot of the more initially likable noble characters miss out on since he has a strong understanding of the massive power imbalance between the nobility and the commoners - the way he presents himself is annoying but his philosophy is ultimately much more useful than the nobles who insist on having an informal relationship with commoners without realizing the barrier that makes that impossible. I disagree with him in that I think it's better to tear down those barriers but I can at least respect that there's genuine wisdom to his philosophy.

I didnt really dislike or have any real impressions of characters before i got the game. 

Seteth became my favorite character somewhere near the final leg of my first ever run (GD) in the game. Can't really explain the process, but he is actually the best ever and id die for himb. 

I think the really big one is Rhea. Now, initially, i really didnt care for her. Hell, it was well into my fifth run that i really began to understand this character. I think that's because i got to see her supports. They are a bit illuminating on the inner psyche of Rhea and reveal how lonely she is. (Big Spoilers for just about the entire game. Beware )

Spoiler

Rhea is a creature who has suffered painful loss, and was nearly driven completely mad by it. This is why she just loses it in the Crimson Flower route. There really arent any others that understand her. Her siblings are....in various forms of detached from her and her thoughts. Indech and Macuil had forsaken their humanity as Nabateans and went to dwell on the land as colossal beasts who cared not for mankind. Cichol and Cethleann had stolen themselves away to heal their own wounds. It woukd be centuries before they would return to Rhea. And by that time, she crafted a narrative for the chikdren of men, to hide the grisly truths of crests. To hide the fact Nabatea was different and that this difference led to resentment by the Agarthans. She painted a history of one of her greatest enemies, Nemesis, as a hero and his Ten Elites must be revered. All to prevent the Zanado tragedy to repeat itself. Seteth cannot quite fathom whats going on in Rhea's head, but they cling to each other as siblings of a nigh extinct race would. Rhea decided that the only way to ease her pain, was to try to bring Sothis back via the crest stone.

while yes, initially, Rhea wished for Sothis to completely override Byleth's psyche, she becomes rather attached to Byleth as themself.  She wants to mother, sister, daughter, and even lover (if you get her S support) to Byleth. It's actually heartbreaking. Especially in routes where she doesn't survive.

I really cant help but respect a character like that. Shes way deeper and complex than i really thought.

I'll do this in two steps.

I originally chose BE for the girls, so I hadn't payed much attention to the four guys. While I did come to like all four, Caspar and Hubert get special mention for becoming two favorites. Caspar's a spunky fun little dude, and despite everyone shitting on him as a unit, for me he always became a great dodgetank. The game wants Hubert to come across as extremely intimidating, but in the vein of "so bad it's good," for me Hubert is "so scary it's hilarious." I was cracking up when I saw his Part 2 design. He's a goddamn vampire and that's hysterical.

At the start I really didn't like Seteth for being so abrasive. At some point near the end of Part 1, I came to respect him greatly. I felt really bad killing him on my first run (CF) and once I learned you could spare him, I made sure to do so on every subsequent CF run.

Oh boy where do I begin. 😄

Seteth- I didn't think I'd dislike him, but he certainly didn't stand out to me. However, they did a fantastic job handling his character, actually giving his distrust towards Byleth justifiable reasons.

Alois- Again, didn't think I'd dislike him but I didn't think I'd care either. However, he became one of the most delightful characters in the game and by far my favorite of the adult characters. Also helped along by a fantastic hammy performance by Dave B Mitchell.

Hilda- Honestly, her thing about being afraid of expectations as a result of how much her brother has to deal with is something I think a lot of people can relate to. A surprisingly good character.

Raphael- While I would still call him the most one-note student, he just became too wholesome to dislike. Gotta respect someone who loves helping other people get going. Against all odds, he became my favorite non-Byleth pairing for Bernadetta (didn't think I'd be saying that. 😄 ). 

Ignatz- Frankly, I'm a fan of characters who struggle with dealing with their parents expectations and their own passions. 

Leonie- Now I actually did expect to like Leonie, but I was surprised at how much I liked her. Admittedly, her Byleth supports are a little lacking but outside of that she's got some of the best supports in the game.

Also glad to see a lot of support for Annette in this thread. She's a character I adored from Day 1 so it does my heart good to see a lot of people come around to like her as well. She'll always be my Blue Lions girl. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, I was planning to marry Sylvain or Ashe in my first run through of the game (before I knew of recruiting from other houses)

And then Seteth showed up. 

My reactions w him are kinda present in my professor, Ragna. She hates him at first for being a stuck up, but then they warm up to each other. 

I never thought I would end up liking any of the Blue Lions. I first played BEs, but curiosity for the other routes made me realize that BL fellas are good too!

Same with the GDs, Lorenz was difficult to like until his supports and performance in combat made me like him.

Felix. The timeskip made me appreciate him more. I already liked him a bit from the supports that I read.

Dimitri. I only picked his house for Mercedes and Dedue, but he wound up being one of my favorite lords in the series.

Raphael. He's so lovable and surprisingly strong willed. The way he handles the loss of his parents reminds me how I handled my own loss, so I can relate to him.

The big one. Lysithea. I cannot stand character like Ricken who's only trait is "Stop treating me like a child Waaaah!" Lysithea is actually kinda fun as well as being tragic. Even though he has has some rough edges (Her support with Ignatz is just rough to read.)

I honestly ended up liking majority of the roster/characters through endless supports with byleth and other characters within their house and limited outside their house since I don't like cross recruiting. So much more than any other fire emblem games I ever played. In contrast to the topic though:

1) Lorenz: his character design/portrait irked me. His pre time skip and post time skip was irratating and went to meh. Only wholesome support was him and lysithia and that wasn't enough to save him from being an overall forgettable character

2) Cyril: I use him every route besides BE:C for his strengths but god... he can only talk about is Rhea. His sad upbringing doesn't move me since it's so bland. It brings in very little depth to the racism between almyra and fodlan compared to Claude. 

3) marriane: honestly least favorite main character. Her upbringing also doesn't resonate with me at all, she is shunned because of her crest but it's worse than being a quiet reserved person. Something about her irks me so much

4) Raphael: 1 dimensional. You can think he adds 0.1 more dimension with oh, I protect my sister and I forgive you ignatz. That's far too little to how much he talks about food and muscle.

I'm still in the middle of my Black Eagles playthrough, and I'm still well before the time skip. I didn't expect to like Hubert or Ferdinand; in both cases because of their personalities.

I thought Hubert would just be a cold-hearted shadowy advisor to Edelgard, and he definitely is those things, but he is not solely those things. I'm not usually a fan of jerk-with-a-heart-of-gold characters, as the two sides of them can sometimes contradict one-another. But Hubert is interesting in that he doesn't seem to hide his good side at all, not to Byleth or really to the other Black Eagles students. (Minor spoilers)

Spoiler

Right off the bat, he expresses sympathy for Petra's situation as well as respect for how much she's been able to achieve in her time in Fodlan, he carries Bernadetta back to her dorm after she faints during their conversation, he thanks Linhardt for tending to him after he passes out from exhaustion, and so many more examples. 

I also like how, rather than be completely serious and stone-cold, he's actually not above a bit of humour; the most obvious example being how he's well-aware that he comes off as scary and unnerving to the other Black Eagles and he clearly enjoys it a bit. I also like how the most jerkish he gets around his fellow students is that he's very biting in his criticisms of stuff they do; far from the most jerkish behaviour we've ever seen in a heroic strategist character in FE. 

As for Ferdinand, I didn't think I would dislike him; I just thought that he would hit rather placidly for his repeated talk of nobility and his one-sided rivalry with Edelgard (and indeed, it can get a bit annoying at times). He quickly grew on me from a gameplay perspective when he turned out to be an excellent tank; frankly my only tank in the earliest parts of the game. He's continued to be a fantastic tank thanks to his high strength, speed and defence. He then grew on me personality-wise in his support conversations, especially his support conversations with Hubert where he reveals that (minor spoilers)

Spoiler

His one-sided rivalry with Edelgard stems from his belief that, as the future Prime Minister of the Empire, it is up to him to challenge her, make her rethink her goals and actions, and be the one that's able to tell her when she's going too far or that there's a better way. 

Lorenz and Ferdinand. Those two are genuinely noble characters. The game likes to drag on the nobility but I don't think I've ever found myself disagreeing with either of them. I think I like Ferdinand more since he's actually smarter then what CF likes to present him as.