How do you feel about how Three Houses handled magic and staffs? Would you like to see that system in the future?

Corrobin

I liked it, but I preferred the system we had in some of the older games where magic had its own combat triangle. I think it's cool that each unit has his or her own set of spells as it gives them individuality, but I miss the diversity in magic classes we used to have when the magic combat triangle existed.

On 10/7/2019 at 1:27 AM, raphaelol said:

I liked it, but I preferred the system we had in some of the older games where magic had its own combat triangle. I think it's cool that each unit has his or her own set of spells as it gives them individuality, but I miss the diversity in magic classes we used to have when the magic combat triangle existed.

It might have seemed kind of cool to have a "wind spell breaker" or the such. 

But me personally, I absolutely loved the way they handled magic in this game or just weapons in general. No more limiting a class to one or two weapons.

Magic ammo was indeed a little lacking at the start of the game, but as the game progressed, I barely remember a time that became an issue for me. Many of the magic classes doubles the amount of times a unit can use the basic spells. Plus, I don't exactly see how allowing a magic unit to just spam the big finishing attacks over five times would be a great idea. They're the big guns. They should be used in with care. Of course, I would not mind if they revert to the old ways or go to a completely different system, but I would mind a hell of a lot less if this is the new tradition. 

Also, I REALLY like the idea of tomes being something that could give users specific spells if equipped like a shield. That sounds really cool. 

The way Echoes did magic and combat art was really dumb with it costing HP as if that meant anything.

Three Houses fixes it by using durability so there's actual costs to spamming the best attacks over and over again. Black and dark magic seems fine though a bit too low early game making mages pretty bad early. Then you get too many uses and it just doesn't matter.

White magic on the other hand works for spells like physic heal and restore. When it comes to higher tier white magic like warp, it can break a lot of levels with it being replenished every map. 

Also this is one thing I really dislike is with all the characters having their own unique spell lists. I was surprised there's no way to teach a character a spell. I would love to teach physic to someone like Annette or Byleth so they can do a bit more things on the field. With how rare certain spells are like rescue,meteor, and bolting, I want a way to teach a character that spell in someway.  

Edited by PPPPPPP270

Three Houses is definitely the best magic system to date. With magic uses restored after battle you don't need to have that hoarder instinct when it comes to using the stronger/rarer stuff. Running out of magic uses is also a non-issue when it comes to basic attack spells and it's just some of the specialty spells like Thoron and Meteor that you have to put any thought into conservation. There is early game issues but that's just a problem with the noble/commoner class.

I really like all magic users having access to any spell they have the skill rank for. I also like characters having their own spell lists to give them more flavor. I could see there being special items that permanently teach a spell to a character, but they should be exceptions rather than a rule.

I really liked it but I would have liked to see a more uniform distribution for who gets what. It ruined some characters viability and not to mention how they suddenly forgot how to heal because they were not a magic class (yes, I am still salty Falcoknights can't heal)