Tips for a first playthrough of Binding Blade

Maddie

Bold: Like what? You keep saying that there are instances where mounted units aren't the most suited for combat, but you have yet to back it up.

Primarily Rutger (or Fir if using her), but Igrene is also a good unit in some situations. Echidna and Deak are also good on certain occasions. Lugh might be good depending on the enemy type. Recruiting certain characters is also of consideration.

No, because other games made javelins such that they weren't the best weapon for most situations without forcing me to gamble on every freaking attack if I decide I want to counter archers or mages.

... They are the best weapons for most situations. You don't really have a point here. FE6 is a game where more weapons need to be used and aren't invalidated because a single weapon will always do the job better than everything else.

Anyway, you're ignoring that most units require more effort in this game and don't pay off enough to be worth it compared to superior alternatives

It's the exact same thing in FE7. If you're willing to say that Noah is not worth using then you're claiming that it's not worth using most of the characters in FE7 or FE8 too. Why use anyone besides Seth for example? He can practically solo the game on his own and it's not worth training any other units. Besides, it's not as if Noah is Nino or something like that. He takes 3 levels to promote and is generally a fairly good unit.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/6/2019 at 12:46 PM, Pengaius said:

Huh, didn't know that, always thought it was single RN, nevertheless, hitrates are more accurate than you think they are in fe6, dodgetanking is very unreliable

The thing is that your units in average suck more than in FE7 and 8 so they take hits more and less well so when you get hit you actually care about every hit you take. Enemies are also a bit stronger and do have luck and more skill in general. Finally weapons are less accurate and so you miss more and the enemies also don't hit a lot but then again for the enemy their units are disposable so missing isn't such a big deal but for you it's typically a big problem.

@Shadow Mir Which characters need to be alive for certain Gaiden chapters. I lost my first character Asgore in Chapter 16 because I messed up with putting him in the chest room then the hordes of reinforcements came while my other units were trying to get to the main room without killing Douglas which meant luring him out of the castle etc. Basically I hate this chapter and don't want to restart it if Asgore isn't needed for true ending as I still have 2 thieves.

8 minutes ago, Edegard1902 said:

@Shadow Mir Which characters need to be alive for certain Gaiden chapters. I lost my first character Asgore in Chapter 16 because I messed up with putting him in the chest room then the hordes of reinforcements came while my other units were trying to get to the main room without killing Douglas which meant luring him out of the castle etc. Basically I hate this chapter and don't want to restart it if Asgore isn't needed for true ending as I still have 2 thieves.

Lilina for 8x, Elphin for 12x (if you recruited him), Sophia for 14x, Juno and Zealot for 20x on the Ilia side, Sue, Shin and Dayan for the Sacae side of 20x, Miledy and Zeiss for 21x.

1 minute ago, Shadow Mir said:

Lilina for 8x, Elphin for 12x (if you recruited him), Sophia for 14x, Juno and Zealot for 20x on the Ilia side, Sue, Shin and Dayan for the Sacae side of 20x, Miledy and Zeiss for 21x.

I'll be fin then as I've done previous Gaiden chapters and usually try not to let characters die unless I didn't grow attached to them or if they are need for later.

On 10/8/2019 at 2:14 PM, samthedigital said:

Primarily Rutger (or Fir if using her), but Igrene is also a good unit in some situations. Echidna and Deak are also good on certain occasions. Lugh might be good depending on the enemy type. Recruiting certain characters is also of consideration.

That doesn't really answer my question. If you mean bosskilling, then I'm not sure they're necessary outside of hard mode... but if you ARE talking hard mode, then your asserting FE6 is balanced is misguided. Anyway, the only units that MUST be recruited by foot units are Raigh, Perceval (who comes to you in chapter 15, when it's recommended you recruit him), Sue, Gonzales, Cath, and one of the Ilian cavaliers (probably Noah since he spawns close to you).

... They are the best weapons for most situations. You don't really have a point here. FE6 is a game where more weapons need to be used and aren't invalidated because a single weapon will always do the job better than everything else.

You ask me, "javelins dominate, but everything is nonetheless usable" is still a much lesser evil than having hit rate issues severely limit the usable weapon pool, which is the case here - I find it hard to find a use for anything with 65 base accuracy or less, which includes literally every axe except Armads (which probably won't see use nonetheless) and a majority of lances. In this game, I'm just using iron and killer all the time. I dunno about you, but if I'm using the same weapons all the time because a lot of the other options are so bad as to be unusable, that's a huge problem.

It's the exact same thing in FE7. If you're willing to say that Noah is not worth using then you're claiming that it's not worth using most of the characters in FE7 or FE8 too. Why use anyone besides Seth for example? He can practically solo the game on his own and it's not worth training any other units. Besides, it's not as if Noah is Nino or something like that. He takes 3 levels to promote and is generally a fairly good unit.

You seem to imply that Franz is useless because Seth exists. That's obviously false. Regardless, like I said, promotion items are scarce for a majority of the game. It's safe to say if you plan on using more than two units that promote using a specific promotion item, odds are at least one will have to wait until the secret shop in chapter 16, and maybe even more if you fail to complete a difficult or obscure side objective.  And I still think this game is worse about it because there's a lot of instances where I'm discouraged from using a unit because said unit is outclassed by a unit who joined earlier (for example, is there any good reason to use Oujay over Dieck? And he's only ONE example out of many in this game).

Edited by Shadow Mir

That doesn't really answer my question. If you mean bosskilling, then I'm not sure they're necessary outside of hard mode... but if you ARE talking hard mode, then your asserting FE6 is balanced is misguided.

They are definitely nesessary outside of hard mode if you want to kill bosses in a reasonable amount of time. Bosses are tanky, and Rutger is the only one who really deals with most bosses effectively.

Anyway, the only units that MUST be recruited by foot units are Raigh, Perceval (who comes to you in chapter 15, when it's recommended you recruit him), Sue, Gonzales, Cath, and one of the Ilian cavaliers (probably Noah since he spawns close to you).

Geese and Garret

You ask me, "javelins dominate, but everything is nonetheless usable" is still a much lesser evil than having hit rate issues severely limit the usable weapon pool, which is the case here - I find it hard to find a use for anything with 65 base accuracy or less, which includes literally every axe except Armads (which probably won't see use nonetheless) and a majority of lances. In this game, I'm just using iron and killer all the time. I dunno about you, but if I'm using the same weapons all the time because a lot of the other options are so bad as to be unusable, that's a huge problem.

Everything is usable in 7, but everything except for Javelins and Hand Axes is ineffiicent compared to 6 where a variety of weapons are used, and Bows are much better. Even if you wanted to argue that Axes suck in 6 and wanted to argue that lances aren't good (which isn't true) you would have to accept that swords and bows are bad in 7 and 8. That evens out overall in terms of weapon balance.

You seem to imply that Franz is useless because Seth exists. That's obviously false.

No, I'm not. I'm implying that it's the same kind of argument. The fact that Lance and Alan exist doesn't mean that Noah is a bad character. He can make a good candidate for the second Knight Crest, and he might be the candidate for the first one if the other two don't turn out well. Seth breaks game balance much more than anything else too since we're on the subject of Seth though (to be fair the difficulty of FE8 is part of the problem). In any case, I don't know why we are wasting time with character balance when I already said that the game has worse character balance than the others. This really doesn't serve any purpose.

And I still think this game is worse

I don't care if you think that the game is worse or not. It's a strictly subjective thing anyway. We're talking strictly about balance here. In any case, there isn't a single Fire Emblem game that is balanced very well, and I don't think that balance strictly correlates to the games being good.

maybe even more if you fail to complete a difficult or obscure side objective.

There are several obscure ways of collecting items in 7 too. Off the top of my head there's a hero's crest from an enemy in the fog and the ocean seal in the desert. Difficulty is fairly subjective, and the only promotion items that I find stupid to get are the ones in the chapter with Klain and Tate. They give us promotion items that are fairly plentiful anyway.