I Interviewed Deva Marie, voice of Flayn! Ghast's Fire Emblem Videos Thread

ghast

Hey folks, I'm turning this thread into a video archive on my 3H videos. 

Chris Hackney Interview

Cyril: The Character Everyone Hates, Apparently.

Hanneman: A Main Character in Secret

Ike, Lyn and Robin. What If They Were in Fire Emblem: Three Houses?

Shamir: Deadliest Waifu

Deva Marie (Voice of Flayn) Interview

Edited by ghast

56 minutes ago, ghast said:

he was very candid and down-to-earth. Some of his answers just left me in awe! haha

Yeah, I can tell why. Seems like a really genuine, nice dude, with a big love for the fandom.

Thanks for doing these by the way. 🙂

Cyril is honestly a legend. His bluntness is always entertaining to watch, his devotion to Rhea, while annoying to some, is understandable considering his age, and his simplicity as a character is refreshing to me- in a cast where most everyone has a stake in Fodlan’s politics, he stands out as a character who couldn’t care less about that stuff, which I honestly think is pretty relatable.

As a unit, I will just say that War Master Cyril is really, really good. He did pretty well as a Bolt Axe Wyvern too, if you feel like a meme build.

Anyway, it’s nice to know I’m not the only person who thinks Cyril is at the very least a redeemable character. Thanks for the video, it was a really interesting watch!

I used him on my first run on Blue Lions, it seems Aptitude was a waste of a skill, and they could have just given him good growths, and a real personal skill, but he did serve me well as a Wyvern Lord, once I got him to there.

Cyril doesn't even come close to being my favorite character but I don't get the allergic reaction that other players seem to get when they see Cyril. He's very okay, not very interesting but neither very boring or offensive either. Generally he's at his best when he's sassy like with Manuela or Hilda. 

I don't mind the Rhea worship. There are reasons for why he acts the way he does and the game doesn't shy away that his ''her enemies are my enemies'' can lead him to a very dark path. 

Spoiler

I kinda wish Cyril had died the first time you fought him in Crimson Flower. Not because I hate him or think he deserves it, but because Rhea's quotes when you defeat everyone else in that chapter make it very clear she rescues them from death but she just tells Cyril she'll "honor his sacrifice" and I think that's very funny.

I like Cyril well enough when he isn't rambling about Rhea. His sassiness can be pretty entertaining and he has a good heart. I like his supports with Lysithea and Ashe. I get that he's a kid and given his background it makes sense he looks up to Rhea as a mother figure, but it got really grating on GD where everything was constantly "Are we getting Rhea yet? Do you think Rhea will be back soon? When's Rhea coming back? I'm getting ready in case Rhea comes soon. I sure miss Rhea. I hope Rhea is ok. Do you think they're hurting Rhea?" Like damn kid, yeah be grateful but move on, live your life.

On 10/12/2019 at 4:32 PM, eclipse said:

I use him a lot.  He's pretty funny when he's on wyvernback, sniping away at everything.

agreed!

On 10/12/2019 at 6:01 PM, Captain Karnage said:

I didn't even know he was playable on my first run, he just showed up in my barracks post time skip, and that's where he stayed

if you don't get the ball rolling with him early he gets worse and worse. 

On 10/12/2019 at 6:07 PM, Anathaco said:

Cyril is honestly a legend. His bluntness is always entertaining to watch, his devotion to Rhea, while annoying to some, is understandable considering his age, and his simplicity as a character is refreshing to me- in a cast where most everyone has a stake in Fodlan’s politics, he stands out as a character who couldn’t care less about that stuff, which I honestly think is pretty relatable.

As a unit, I will just say that War Master Cyril is really, really good. He did pretty well as a Bolt Axe Wyvern too, if you feel like a meme build.

Anyway, it’s nice to know I’m not the only person who thinks Cyril is at the very least a redeemable character. Thanks for the video, it was a really interesting watch!

I know! I wish more people apprecated him for his bluntness more . its entertaining. 

On 10/12/2019 at 7:15 PM, Rezzy said:

I used him on my first run on Blue Lions, it seems Aptitude was a waste of a skill, and they could have just given him good growths, and a real personal skill, but he did serve me well as a Wyvern Lord, once I got him to there.

yeah his personal could be way better. 

On 10/12/2019 at 7:43 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

Cyril doesn't even come close to being my favorite character but I don't get the allergic reaction that other players seem to get when they see Cyril. He's very okay, not very interesting but neither very boring or offensive either. Generally he's at his best when he's sassy like with Manuela or Hilda. 

I don't mind the Rhea worship. There are reasons for why he acts the way he does and the game doesn't shy away that his ''her enemies are my enemies'' can lead him to a very dark path. 

its pretty bad. i dont like when they say he only talks about rhea. He really doesn't in his supports. that criticism is really exaggerated 

On 10/13/2019 at 11:38 AM, Book Bro said:

I like Cyril well enough when he isn't rambling about Rhea. His sassiness can be pretty entertaining and he has a good heart. I like his supports with Lysithea and Ashe. I get that he's a kid and given his background it makes sense he looks up to Rhea as a mother figure, but it got really grating on GD where everything was constantly "Are we getting Rhea yet? Do you think Rhea will be back soon? When's Rhea coming back? I'm getting ready in case Rhea comes soon. I sure miss Rhea. I hope Rhea is ok. Do you think they're hurting Rhea?" Like damn kid, yeah be grateful but move on, live your life.

8 minutes ago, ghast said:

yeah his personal could be way better.

It's not even his personal, it's the fact that they made it meaningless by also giving him some of the shittiest growths in the game. I'd be fine with him having aptitude as a personal if it actually gave him above-average growths for the trouble.

Edited by Alastor15243

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been using Cyril in my GD Maddening run and... yeah, Ghast is completely right about him being a good unit. He's the greatest testament to how the extra mechanics in 3H make it so that bases and growths don't tell the whole story.

Cyril was bad for exactly one chapter. I did not give him any special favoritism, many chapters later his level is still about equal with the rest of my squad (the only one who's truly overleveled is Lysithea and that's because I've had multiple situations where giving her the boss kill is the best way to win the chapter). All I did was raise his bows to C+ and run him through Brigand like I did almost every other martial character and he immediately became one of my best units.

His early entry to Point-Blank Volley really is just that good. Enemies that are difficult to kill, I rely on either Lysithea or Cyril to do it. When Claude doesn't double he's completely out-classed by Cyril and that's after giving Claude the +STR item from the DLC. I'm sure things will even out once weapon ranks get higher and other characters get their best combat arts, but Cyril has pulled ahead as an MVP unit during the part of the game he's supposed to suck, so  I imagine his growth rates will keep him going once everyone else catches up.

Basically my point here is that we need to factor in the power of exclusive combat arts when evaluating units more