Code Vein

Rapier

What are your impressions of the game? Did you buy it or play the trial?

Personally, I'm really liking it. The gameplay gets some elements from more traditional action games, I think, with its skill and class system, and ties it up nicely with a Souls-like gameplay and game design that I'd argue feels like a less harrowing experience for beginners, as the game allows to bring partner AIs who tend to do their jobs very well, tells you where you should head to and actually gives you a map and allows for other players to help you regardless of where they are in the game.

I also really like its aesthetics (the character creator is by itself one of the best things about the game) and its soundtrack is enjoyable.

There are some parts of its level design and enemy design that I have issues with, ie. a particular level (the Cathedral) feels like a cramped labyrinth, most enemies have a wide arc attack that can hit the player very easily, there are enemies who are too beefy and hit hard and fast at the same time, enemy positioning and spawn is sometimes questionable (especially during invasions, we can have four enemies ganging at the player at the same time), big enemies screw the camera easily and body block it.

Other than that, I have issues with how it doesn't care about invincibility time when you're down or how you're left as an easy prey after exiting the critical hit animation, which leads to some cheap deaths where enemies hit you when you can't do anything about it; and the hitboxes tend to be weird.