On the relative happiness/sadness of FE games (Three Houses spoilers)

Corrobin

Just now, Corrobin said:

That would run into a problem I have with overly dark stories where everything just goes from bad to worse. It invokes the eight deadly words of any story:

"I don't care what happens to these people."

If everyone is horrible and our heroes are only marginally better than everyone else and nothing looks like it will ever improve, I lose all interest.

I'm not suggesting that every character be horrible and there's no one to route for. I just want a story that will fill you with a feeling of despair like no other.(I mean Madoka Magica is about a girl who is trapped in an infinite time loop trying to save the life of the one she loves but fails at every corner until the point she just falls into despair but y'know). Y'know the kind of story that makes you question the meaning of your own existence in light of how horrible this world truly is cause that's always a fun time. I dunno I like those stories honestly but that's just me. 

3 hours ago, Ottservia said:

I'm not suggesting that every character be horrible and there's no one to route for. I just want a story that will fill you with a feeling of despair like no other.(I mean Madoka Magica is about a girl who is trapped in an infinite time loop trying to save the life of the one she loves but fails at every corner until the point she just falls into despair but y'know). Y'know the kind of story that makes you question the meaning of your own existence in light of how horrible this world truly is cause that's always a fun time. I dunno I like those stories honestly but that's just me. 

While I also enjoy such stories (Hello, Dark Souls), I think it would clash with the tone of Fire Emblem games. They run a gambit of more light hearted (Awakening) to serious drama (Three Houses) but unending misery might not fit the series.

Stories that are that dark don't fit FE imo. 

They're also really damn difficult to pull off in video game format and the only director I know that managed to handle really Dark stories very well is Yoko Taro.

Personally, I prefer lighthearted stories with dark elements. As others have said, dark stories don`t fit that well with FE. I do however agree with the thought that they shouldn`t keep using the same tropes over and over again like they`ve done in the past. Deconstructing the archetypes, like Three Houses did, is the way to go in my opinion.

44 minutes ago, Metal Flash said:

Personally, I prefer lighthearted stories with dark elements. As others have said, dark stories don`t fit that well with FE. I do however agree with the thought that they shouldn`t keep using the same tropes over and over again like they`ve done in the past. Deconstructing the archetypes, like Three Houses did, is the way to go in my opinion.

Fe4 did the same thing with Sigurd being a deconstruction of the lord archetype, and people also consider that game "dark". Seems there's a trend here. 

1 hour ago, Fire Brand said:

Fe4 did the same thing with Sigurd being a deconstruction of the lord archetype, and people also consider that game "dark". Seems there's a trend here

Yeah, though FE4 is considered dark for other reasons.

Like the first gen cast being killed, Hilda abusing Tiltyu and the child hunts

Edited by Metal Flash

1 hour ago, Metal Flash said:

Yeah, though FE4 is considered dark for other reasons.

Hide contents

Like the first gen cast being killed, Hilda abusing Tiltyu and the child hunts

Awakening had many of those aspects too, yet is not considered dark. Fe4 is not a dark game either, merely has elements which are considered "dark".

7 minutes ago, Metal Flash said:

It`s probably because those elements are more prevalent in FE4 than in Awakening. And the story is more tragic (at least what we play is). There could be other reasons though.

Hmm, I wouldn't say so. A major part of Awakening's story is Grima completely destroying the entire continents, far worse than anything that took place in Fe4.

3 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

Honestly, people for some reason like to pretend that fe4 gen 2 does not exist. All the deconstruction is only there to be reconstructed harder than ever.

That too. As I said previously, Fe4 feels like the Star Wars setup. There's even parallels between characters like Arvis/Anakin, Manfroy/Palpatine, Seliph/Luke, Julia/Leia. Kaga himself stated that Gen 1 only exists as a prologue to Seliph's story.

People likely ignore it, however, because of it's weak narrative, lack of character presence or development, and overall generic storyline. Whereas Gen 1 was unexpected, took risks and was generally more engaging with a far more fleshed out cast. Lots of the problems likely stem from the second act being rushed to cram in content that would have been in a third, however.

3 minutes ago, Fire Brand said:

Hmm, I wouldn't say so. A major part of Awakening's story is Grima completely destroying the entire continents, far worse than anything that took place in Fe4.

Fair enough. I was only giving reasons why people would consider FE4 darker than Awakening.

4 minutes ago, Fire Brand said:

That too. As I said previously, Fe4 feels like the Star Wars setup. There's even parallels between characters like Arvis/Anakin, Manfroy/Palpatine, Seliph/Luke, Julia/Leia. Kaga himself stated that Gen 1 only exists as a prologue to Seliph's story.

People likely ignore it, however, because of it's weak narrative, lack of character presence or development, and overall generic storyline. Whereas Gen 1 was unexpected, took risks and was generally more engaging with a far more fleshed out cast. Lots of the problems likely stem from the second act being rushed to cram in content that would have been in a third, however.

Yeah, there is little discussion regarding Gen 2 compared to Gen 1. Probably because of the reasons you mentioned. I somtimes wonder if FE4 would be remembered as fondly if there was a third act.

24 minutes ago, Fire Brand said:

Speaking of I would love a game or manga or anime or whatever that took place in Lucina’s future(I know there’s the drama CDs but that’s really only a taste of what this could be). Now that would be a dark despair inducing story full of death and tragedy and it would be awesome.

On 10/8/2019 at 9:33 PM, Fire Brand said:

Problem here is that we don't play through these events in Awakening while in FE4 we see how everyone in FE4 Gen 1 slowly dies and their children's lives get worse. What makes FE4 darker than other games in the series is that we actually play through the darker aspects of the story.

On 10/6/2019 at 11:58 PM, Fire Brand said:

The issue I have with three houses is that it feels the message is pushing is "killing is ok, as long as it isn't someone you were at school with for like a year!"

The school characters are really the only ones portrayed sympathetically or even at all. It just feels really... Off. Compare to the other games in the series, such as the Judgral or Tellius games, where characters who aren't the core cast still get portrayed sympathetically. 

And also, as I've said before, would Marth be a worse person if each generic boss had a prologue showing them happy at school? Three houses isn't "sad", it's just trying to emotionally manipulate you into believing it is. 

Someone hasn't seen Dimitri's character at all lol. It constantly talks about how killing in general is wack and some of his conversations talk about generics and how they had families too. Students being able to be killed only adds to the tragedy. The generics don't get as much focus as students in the overall narrative because it's literally impossible.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't played Three Houses yet, but I certainly wouldn't mind not having everything going your way, story-wise. I'd also like to see more cases of having to deal with people who may be your allies, but who don't necessarily share your moral high ground, but again, you can't get rid of them because of their assets to you, their status etc. I mean, we all know that World War II was one of the closer things we had to a good-vs-evil situation, but even that would have debates in regards to how morally did each country/government, or even individual people within, conducted - not to mention the proverbial skeletons in everyone's proverbial closets. (Even neutral countries like Switzerland or Sweden are arguably not entirely guiltless.) Or even what they did after the war. (Like, for example, Imperial Japan's "hell's new" management of South East Asia during the war vs UK, France, and Netherland's "hell's back-to-old" management after the war, to put it very simply.)

Edited by henrymidfields