While not the most likely thing, I'm leading the charge for Adol Christin in Smash Bros

Jedi

https://smashboards.com/threads/adol-christins-journey-towards-smash-now-with-alt-colors-general-falcom-support-thread.489045/

With Terry Bogard breaking stuff wide open i've started a campaign of sorts to show what Adol Christin and the Ys franchise have to offer Smash, in terms of legacy, (since that seems to matter for 3rd parties to Sakurai) among many other things, although I lead this charge I also do it knowing it's not the most likely thing. However it allows me to spread the word of Ys, Falcom and more. 

I'm currently in the process of a video write up as we speak. https://docs.google.com/document/d/18De0qUNozRVMnueOfmWsWOnoflQRTT4j5UGchi6Bgy8/edit

I've had these done 

Adol would be a pretty nice addition and It'd be pretty easy to make a moveset for him from just the Felghana game on PC alone. A shame he's another swordie which will no doubt be a point of contention among the Smash fans.

What are the colors based on? Usually the alternate colors reference other characters within the series and you have 4 options easily available through Dogi, Hugo, Yunica, Toal.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

Iirc in a Stream Kondo said Sakurai used to be a Ys fan back in the day, so not all hope is lost 😄

8 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

A shame he's another swordie which will no doubt be a point of contention among the Smash fans.

smash fans hate everything

8 hours ago, Jedi said:

With Terry Bogard breaking stuff wide open

Terry Bogard is essentially an off-brand version of Ryu, and given that Ryu is in the base game, Terry hasn't broken anything wide open. Now if a character such as Phoenix Wright were announced for Smash, then that would truly break it wide open.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

smash fans hate everything

I second this. What's with the sword hate, anyways? Tons of characters use their fists and feet, should we start rants about the over-representation on those too?

On topic: sure, i'd get on board for this. Banjo and Kazooie were unlikely until now, so i'm not sure how much that matters.

Adol Christin would be interesting. It would be cool to see another red-headed hero in Smash Bros. It's stuffed full of brunettes, blondes, and the occasional blue-haired character. We need more redheads. 

This message is brought to you by a redhead. 

6 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

I second this. What's with the sword hate, anyways? Tons of characters use their fists and feet, should we start rants about the over-representation on those too?

People that use fist and kicks are not a category mostly made of anime pretty boys with a down B counter. It's a category that happen to be very samey whit only meta knight really breaking the mold. And then there is the fact that we have few people that use a melee weapon other than the sword despite the options existing. 

It's my third most disliked category after "character that have been the symbol of a competitor" and "Fire emblem pretty boys whit a sword and a down B counter". Ironically, i actually like playing those, but i just thing we don't need more of them for a while.

7 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Banjo and Kazooie were unlikely until now

Not really. Phil Spencer, head of Microsoft's Xbox division has been in support for B-K's inclusion in Smash for a long time.

2 hours ago, Flere210 said:

People that use fist and kicks are not a category mostly made of anime pretty boys with a down B counter. It's a category that happen to be very samey whit only meta knight really breaking the mold. And then there is the fact that we have few people that use a melee weapon other than the sword despite the options existing. 

It's my third most disliked category after "character that have been the symbol of a competitor" and "Fire emblem pretty boys whit a sword and a down B counter". Ironically, i actually like playing those, but i just thing we don't need more of them for a while.

What does being a pretty boy have to do with anything? Mario kicks for his nair… Luigi kicks for his nair… Dr. Mario also does... see where i'm going with this? Countering is a main factor in FE... why wouldn't they have it? People complain because their movesets are too similar...

Them having the same moveset is irrelevant, in melee/PM, Marth and Roy are different, even with similar attacks, you can't play them like the same character at all. The fact that they can't design a character to be engaging to play is the issue, not whether or not they wield a sword. There are plenty of ways to make them unique, they just aren't smart enough to realise it.

It not the pretty boy, or the counter, it's the fact that all the swordsmen have, flavourwise, many things in common. If they were cartoonish children whit a spear or realistic old men whit an axe i would not like them either.

Ultimately 95% of JRPG protagonist comes from the same molds and can be described as either "shounen bishounen whit a sword" or "Edgy bishounen whit a sword". Sometimes you get something revolutionary like "shounen/edgy bishojo whit a sword" or "shounen/edgy bishounen whit a different weapon".

Like, mario,kirby,sonic and megaman all comes from platformer, but have very few similarities between them. Shulk, Cloud, Hero and Marth all are humans in anime artstyle whitin the same age group. And yes, obviously all mario characters share many similiarities, that why having too many of them would be bad.

It's not just an rpg problem. 90% of AAA western games have the 30 or so white guy whit either short brown hair or a shaved head. But we don't have 12 of them in smash. Hell we don't even have one(and is a good thing imo.)

JRPG are my favourite genre but we can't really put side characters in and whit protagonists being so similars, at least on a surface level, i think we are fine whit what we have now.

Edited by Flere210

As someone who's playing through their first Ys game (Seven), Adol would indeed be pretty cool. And given his bump-system origins, they could incorperate that into his character and make him a wacky swordsman to play as and against ala Hero. He's also the face of Falcom so if Falcom were to get in a rep, it'd logically be him.

But i will say that i would personally prefer one of the three Trails protags (Estelle, Lloyd, Rean) as a Falcom rep if only because i'm far more familiar with them, having played every pre-CS3 Trails game. 

55 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

It not the pretty boy, or the counter, it's the fact that all the swordsmen have, flavourwise, many things in common.

That's not really a real issue though. Imo, that's more of a personal preference. I personally prefer anime aesthetics of all sorts so i would totally be welcome with more JRPG characters in Smash over more cartoony-looking characters. Not that i'd be opposed to cartoony characters but i just gravitate more to anime-designed characters.

Edited by Armagon

• 3 months later...

So I picked up Ys 8 in a recent sale and I've been pretty hooked. Far from the best JRPG I've played, but fun and addicting nonetheless. 

So, I could back Adol. Though, I think I'd actually propose Dana as a representative instead. Sure, she doesn't represent the series as a whole, but she does represent its current Switch release, is a much more fleshed out character, and she brings much more potential to the table.

And I don't just mean "no more swords, hue hue hue." I mean that Adol plays very similarly to a typical Tales protagonist (a series that is much more likely and arguably deserving of a rep), while Dana boasts a lot of acrobatic flips, spins, water moves, etc. She's a blast to play, and she reminds me a lot of Azura, who frankly should have been our Fates rep over Corrin.