Easiest route on maddening mode?

Easiest route on Maddening Mode?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Easiest route on Maddening (assume recruitment is allowed)

• Crimson Flower
    • Azure Moon
    • Verdant Wind
    • Silver Snow

I feel like all routes can be trivialized if you decide to just take aux battles/quests. Sure you cant grind to your heart content compared to Normal,  would you say just quest and aux battle every week not grinding on Maddening? All the routes can do them and I feel like their more of a failsafe for people who need the levelings. If you grind enough with quests and aux battles, I think all routes can be comparable ease with high level characters. 

I can attest that a good part of AM mid to end game and dimitri paralogue can be 1 turned with stride /goddess dance/ 2x warp with a flyer (swift strike horseslayer/brave axe) + pumping str boosters and magic boosters into Manuela. I used Byleth as a goddess dancer with A authority / A+ ride and march ring. But then not everyone playing the same method.

The thread never said about LTC / grinding / paralogues / efficiently. I would be guessing we are all assuming no grind. It only said cross recruit is legal. 

Edited by Johnzin

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Johnzin said:

I feel like all routes can be trivialized if you decide to just take aux battles/quests. Sure you cant grind to your heart content compared to Normal,  would you say just quest and aux battle every week not grinding on Maddening? All the routes can do them and I feel like their more of a failsafe for people who need the levelings. If you grind enough with quests and aux battles, I think all routes can be comparable ease with high level characters. 

I can attest that a good part of AM mid to end game and dimitri paralogue can be 1 turned with stride /goddess dance/ 2x warp with a flyer (swift strike horseslayer/brave axe) + pumping str boosters and magic boosters into Manuela. I used Byleth as a goddess dancer with A authority / A+ ride and march ring. But then not everyone playing the same method.

The thread never said about LTC / grinding / paralogues / efficiently. I would be guessing we are all assuming no grind. It only said cross recruit is legal. 

Uhh, when do you get Blue Lion Dancers?

I'm specifically referring to the last week of a given month only since you generally want to Explore the first couple of weeks to keep Motivation high on your units that need the WEXP and there's no tutoring before story missions. Selecting Battle every single week is really redundant since one Battle session is all you really need stabilize your team. It's all about striking a balance with the options available.

31 minutes ago, Johnzin said:

Are not all battalions after the time skip unlocked? Such as B and A rankings

Oh, so it's buyable. Can't say I expected that. However, you gotta admit, the A rank authority requirement is kinda a downer.

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 hour ago, Cor Leonis said:

I think it's important to point out the grind isn't infinite (99 Turn limit abuse for WEXP and class mastery notwithstanding; I can't defend anyone doing that), and the Maddening EXP nerf pretty much hard caps your Level. After a Battle session, I can confirm your EXP comes crashing to a halt once you start catching up to the recommended levels. Support spellcasters can get ahead due to an oversight in their EXP formula, but most support units already do their job effectively by the time you get A+ rank Professor Level.

It's true that it's not that beneficial for exp on maddening, though the catching up aspect alone can be pretty useful considering how many maps of this game can be trivialized, especially post timeskip... and the class exp alone can be a pretty big game changer. Normally it's a commitment to obtain Wrath + Vantage, for example, same for Quick Riposte.
It's not simple, I'll give you that.

Can't say I ever used Wrath+Vantage in this game since I've found using Canto to hit-and-run a lot more reliable. Add Warp and Stride on top, and you're able to hit something troublesome far away (mostly siege weapons) and able to run all the way back to a safe distance with little issue. It's an aggressive Player Phase version of turtling (as contradictory as that might sound) that I've had great success with. It also requires little investment since most units are trained for Canto Master Classes from the beginning of the game.

My fresh NG Maddening run of Golden Deer has been smooth sailing because most of them could get into Canto classes very easily. Let Lysithea nuke or Warp as needed. My cross recruits (Linhardt and Sylvain) are mostly regulated to being Adjuncts with Sylvain pulling his weight as a Wyvern Lord when there's more than 10 deployment slots. My third Adjunct, Assassin Catharine, is underrated, too. Training her in bows for Assassin lets her get Hit+20 from Archer which fixes Thunderbrand's shaky accuracy. It's kind of a shame I can't find more opportunities to deploy her at this point in the game (post timeskip).

Edited by Cor Leonis

• 3 months later...

If I had to choose any path to be the most difficult for maddening, it would probably be Verdant Wind. There are quite a variety of reasons for this that mainly come down to how I like to play the games. First is I really hate cheesing maps which without doing so, increases the difficulty of the azure moon path significantly. Another reason is I like to keep my units as the classes that they prefer to be on, this greatly enhances Verdant wind because of the fact of how good claude's class is and most of the GD units have very good final goals for classes. There is also the fact of how powerful lysithea, Claude, and hilda get very early on and they are given to you at the start of this path. One of my final reasons for this, is the dreaded ch 13 of the church, kingdom, and alliances routes. This map presents the awful challenge of having your units all spread out and once you activate one enemy, they will all go for one of your helpless mages who can't dodge. With Claude in this chapter, it becomes much easier for him to fly around (with ashes and dust) so you can quickly regroup your units. There is also the fact that many of your weaker links to the thieves, don't spawn til you have killed over half of them by then, which you have basically prevailed. All in all, each of the maddening paths present a challenge but the maps like ch 13 silver snow, and ch 14 BE make these paths much more difficult than the latter

9 hours ago, Dspac said:

If I had to choose any path to be the most difficult for maddening, it would probably be Verdant Wind. There are quite a variety of reasons for this that mainly come down to how I like to play the games. First is I really hate cheesing maps which without doing so, increases the difficulty of the azure moon path significantly. Another reason is I like to keep my units as the classes that they prefer to be on, this greatly enhances Verdant wind because of the fact of how good claude's class is and most of the GD units have very good final goals for classes. There is also the fact of how powerful lysithea, Claude, and hilda get very early on and they are given to you at the start of this path. One of my final reasons for this, is the dreaded ch 13 of the church, kingdom, and alliances routes. This map presents the awful challenge of having your units all spread out and once you activate one enemy, they will all go for one of your helpless mages who can't dodge. With Claude in this chapter, it becomes much easier for him to fly around (with ashes and dust) so you can quickly regroup your units. There is also the fact that many of your weaker links to the thieves, don't spawn til you have killed over half of them by then, which you have basically prevailed. All in all, each of the maddening paths present a challenge but the maps like ch 13 silver snow, and ch 14 BE make these paths much more difficult than the latter

Do you mean Verdant wind least difficult? Because you said most and then started talking about how they have big advantages over the others. If so I absolutely agree. Gd has a solid academy phase and the easiest war phase by far of the routes.

I'd probably say AM>CF>SS>VW from Hardest to easiest. Blue Lions may have the best academy phase but their maps are considerably harder than others in war phase (especially the last three). Add that two of your main units can't be tutored all the time (with one leaving your party) and it definitely gives you more problems than in other routes. Cf and SS both have the hardest academy phase as the units take a while to get rolling, but I actually rank SS easier as it still shares the same easy maps as VW. Yes it's chapter 13 is by far the hardest version of it but besides that there really isn't any super challenging maps. Final map really wasn't as hard as I was expecting. I just warped someone down to stop reinforcements and then slowly made my way up the map, breaking armour with the onager and then using wyverns (Seteth and Petra) to kill the monsters and fly back over the walls out of harms way. The golems at the back can be left alive as they don't restore Rhea's health and can't reach your party anyway. CF in comparison has a very easy 13-16 but chapters 17, 18 and Insurmountable (Edelgard's paralogue) are very challenging maps, with Insurmountable being my nominee for hardest map in the game.