Transgender People in the World Today and a Confession

Rezzy

I don't think we've talked before, since I haven't interacted with this community much outside the Three Houses board, but I'll chip in anyway: Whatever gender you, and others who came out as trans in here, identify as, is the one I'll accept you as. Keep fighting the good fight and don't let inconsiderate people get you down. 🙂

Edited by Elephantus

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/17/2019 at 8:26 AM, Jotari said:

That's because people don't see people as people online. They see people as agendered mouth pieces with all image association being with an avatar. At least, that's how I view all of you. Logically I know there are physical humans sitting behind each post, but I never interact with that fact in mind. You could be an ai or a pink elephant for all it really matters. Perhaps I'm alone in that though.

On 10/17/2019 at 8:34 AM, Shoblongoo said:

Yeah not gonna lie.

I have a hard time thinking of eclipse as anything other than a cocky pink-haired anime girl, and its gonna really weird if I ever find out that she looks like something else 

On 10/18/2019 at 3:01 AM, eclipse said:

I regret to inform you that my hair isn't pink, nor is my figure that lovely.

And a kid.

Thing is, even our avatars show a bit of our personality, too~!  And unlike our faces, we can make our avatars (almost) whatever we want!

Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but I've always tried to imagine the person behind the screen, so to speak and tried to relate to others after getting to know them a bit.

On 10/18/2019 at 4:17 PM, Edegard1902 said:

Wow! It's amazing how true that is. Online you really do just imagine someone as their avatar rather than what the person could be like IRL. I've also found that people online are usually more accepting as it is a smaller group of people usually with similar hobbies and interests and you don't have how they look to affect your judgement of them. Sorry if this sounded weird but it was just how it seems to be online.

Being online does allow us to be seen how we would like to be seen sometimes.

On 10/18/2019 at 5:15 PM, Dr. C said:

Have to throw in more love here.

Meant a lot to me that you listened to my story heard it and are understanding of it.

Im just going to say the cliff note version is psychotic pathological liar ex who was trans left me with some mental and emotional s scars. 

My rational mind can compartmentalize those two things and I will say that I do not hold a personal view of trans people that way. However, my emotional memory invokes bouts of anxiety when I meet a trans person IRL i.e. a literal diagnostic phobia involving transgender people. 

I hate this mental health issue because it puts me in a position where I don’t feel like I am a trans the trans rights supporter that I am supposed to be. Of course I do my best to not let this taint my behavior but I feel like the fact this tendency exists and I fight it makes me low hanging fruit for a vilification  dogpile. When an abusive sociopath is the one educating you on trans issues, expect a bumpy ride. 

I appreciate the validation of someone trans telling me it’s okay to have a mental health issue and fight through it.

I've always tried to see every side of an issue and always try to be a good example of whatever group I'm representing.

On 10/19/2019 at 2:54 AM, Elephantus said:

I don't think we've talked before, since I haven't interacted with this community much outside the Three Houses board, but I'll chip in anyway: Whatever gender you, and others who came out as trans in here, identify as, is the one I'll accept you as. Keep fighting the good fight and don't let inconsiderate people get you down. 🙂

Thanks, I look forward to seeing you around the Forest!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/21/2019 at 6:52 PM, Rezzy said:

Being online does allow us to be seen how we would like to be seen sometimes.

fudged the quote. deleted post.

Edited by Karimlan

7 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Oh, was there something you were curious about?

Nah. Brought up the hair part, thinking that I'd definitely want to have the hair on the guy on my av.

I killed my own joke RIP

Edited by Karimlan

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2019 at 8:46 PM, Res said:

Well, as a Rachel, I am more than happy to welcome you as another Rachel! (I mean, I already knew that was your name, but it’s extra special when someone chooses that name for themselves!)

Yeah, Rachel's the best name!  Working on making it official after all these years.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm late to all this, and likely come across as a nobody, but I just wanna say, mad respect to you @Rezzy. For my own part, I've tossed the question of gender around my head for... years and years. I've done a lot of wondering, and not as much doing. But I think, for the time being, I'm taking some steps in the right direction. So reading this kind of thread, there's a mix of feelings, but on the whole it's... encouraging. Thank you, and galdrar of blessings to the Forest.

On 12/6/2019 at 10:24 PM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I'm late to all this, and likely come across as a nobody, but I just wanna say, mad respect to you @Rezzy. For my own part, I've tossed the question of gender around my head for... years and years. I've done a lot of wondering, and not as much doing. But I think, for the time being, I'm taking some steps in the right direction. So reading this kind of thread, there's a mix of feelings, but on the whole it's... encouraging. Thank you, and galdrar of blessings to the Forest.

Oh, I remember you.  I think I've seen you pop up from time to time.  Yeah, it can be really confusing.  I hope you find what's right for you, and I'm always up for listening, if anyone ever needs to talk.

56 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Oh, I remember you.  I think I've seen you pop up from time to time.  Yeah, it can be really confusing.  I hope you find what's right for you, and I'm always up for listening, if anyone ever needs to talk.

Yeah, I commented sporadically for a while, though I've been a mite more active since Three Houses dropped.

And thank you, that means a lot to me. 🙂

• 2 months later...

This is one topic I've had an extremely difficult time understanding. This is something I've looked into before and I thought I had it figured out but it turns out the information is outdated.

From the research I've done in the past, I've come to understand transsexual individuals to have the body of one sex but the neuro-anatomy of the opposite sex. Sexual dimorphism isn't just about bones, muscles and hormones but also the very structure of the brain itself. One notable component of the brain that was found to be tightly linked to gender identity is called the Bed Nucleus of the Stria Terminalis. I forget the specifics but the cells in the bed nucleus are more or less numerous and more or less sized depending on one's sex if we assume a cis person. In a trans person, the body is of one sex but the dimorphism in the brain is that of the opposite sex. For me, this was the evidence I needed to make my case that trans people can't help that they are trans, that it is the result of a biological anomaly that they could never have any control over, that all they could ever want is to transition as best as they could and integrate into society like everyone else.

This video is where I first learned about the subject.

What is it I have to understand about trans people? Can someone help me see this topic more clearly?

9 minutes ago, Ingen said:

This is one topic I've had an extremely difficult time understanding. This is something I've looked into before and I thought I had it figured out but it turns out the information is outdated.

From the research I've done in the past, I've come to understand transsexual individuals to have the body of one sex but the neuro-anatomy of the opposite sex. Sexual dimorphism isn't just about bones, muscles and hormones but also the very structure of the brain itself. One notable component of the brain that was found to be tightly linked to gender identity is called the Bed Nucleus of the Stria Terminalis. I forget the specifics but the cells in the bed nucleus are more or less numerous and more or less sized depending on one's sex if we assume a cis person. In a trans person, the body is of one sex but the dimorphism in the brain is that of the opposite sex. For me, this was the evidence I needed to make my case that trans people can't help that they are trans, that it is the result of a biological anomaly that they could never have any control over, that all they could ever want is to transition as best as they could and integrate into society like everyone else.

What is it I have to understand about trans people? Can someone help me see this topic more clearly?

To my understanding, being transgender is caused by a phenomena known as gender dysphoria, which essentially means that you have the brain chemistry of the opposite gender

I am not an expert on the subject, but I currently in a long distance relationship with a transgender girl, I do consider myself straight, but I am open minded and most trans girls do strike me as very feminine when it comes to their personality, the just feel female to me regardless of what body they were born into. 

I am somewhat odd when it comes to gender identity, while I am biologically male. I have no strong identification with one gender identity or the other, I just consider myself male as that is my biology. I seriously don't get why people have trouble relating to people not of their own gender, I can do this just fine. With the example of Edelgard, I not only physically attracted to her because of my sexuality, but I relate to her deeply. Thanks to similarities in our ways of thinking, the fact that she is female, doesn't provide any hindrance for my ability to relate

11 hours ago, Ingen said:

If you have any questions about anything in particular, I'd be happy to help answer to the best of my ability.

As a random bloke who probably isn't qualified to say anything at all:

Everyone deserves to live life to the fullest, be happy and make their own desicions. I'm glad that you're courageous enough to do this, because it's hard in a world where judgement is in every corner. No matter what, know that you are amazing, kind and should be proud of who you are. 

7 hours ago, Rezzy said:

If you have any questions about anything in particular, I'd be happy to help answer to the best of my ability.

Would it be an oversimplification to say being trans is about feeling uncomfortable in one's own body? (This is before transitioning)

Is the transition essentially a cure or is there more to it than that? Is that even a valid way of looking at it?

Is it correct that being trans is not a choice, similar to sexual orientation?

What else might I have failed to touch on so far?

6 hours ago, Benice said:

As a random bloke who probably isn't qualified to say anything at all:

Everyone deserves to live life to the fullest, be happy and make their own desicions. I'm glad that you're courageous enough to do this, because it's hard in a world where judgement is in every corner. No matter what, know that you are amazing, kind and should be proud of who you are. 

Thank you

33 minutes ago, Ingen said:

Would it be an oversimplification to say being trans is about feeling uncomfortable in one's own body? (This is before transitioning)

Is the transition essentially a cure or is there more to it than that? Is that even a valid way of looking at it?

Is it correct that being trans is not a choice, similar to sexual orientation?

What else might I have failed to touch on so far?

I suppose that's a very oversimplified way of putting it.  It's like your brain doesn't agree with what your body looks like.  In your case, imagine you just woke up as a woman one day.  You'd likely feel like you just didn't have the right body.

I'm not sure if cure is the right word, but it's the best treatment we have available.  It's making you body look as much like the sex your brain tells you it should be as possible, which can help.  I have ups and downs, but I don't hate my body 100% of the time, like I used to.

Gender dysphoria is not a choice, the decision to actually transition might be considered a choice, but the feeling of having the wrong body isn't something you can choose, just like sexual orientation.

I mean, it's a massive subject, so there's thousands of different possible questions you could ask, if you want.

Would it be a more ideal world if trans people didn't exist at all in, which everyone is born in the body theyre meant to be in, or is there a certain amount of pride to be derived.from being trans. Maybe to phrase it a certain way, do you imagine it preferable being a trans man/woman or would you rather have been born a cis man/woman.

(Not directly asking you Rezzy, though I of course want to hear your opinion, more just putting a strain of thought out there to be considered).

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Would it be a more ideal world if trans people didn't exist at all in, which everyone is born in the body theyre meant to be in, or is there a certain amount of pride to be derived.from being trans. Maybe to phrase it a certain way, do you imagine it preferable being a trans man/woman or would you rather have been born a cis man/woman.

(Not directly asking you Rezzy, though I of course want to hear your opinion, more just putting a strain of thought out there to be considered).

Most other trans people I talk to don't like being trans.  There might be a degree of pride in transitioning well and passing, if you can, but I don't think that's enough to make it worth it in any reasonable way.

I definitely wish I wasn't transgender.  I wish I had just been born a cis woman.  I also wouldn't have minded being a cis man, without the gender dysphoria.

I do have a trans friend who said she would be conflicted with taking a pill, if it existed, to get rid of gender dysphoria because while it was never comfortable she thought it was a major part of her identity. That may be a uncommon opinion.

13 hours ago, Tryhard said:

I do have a trans friend who said she would be conflicted with taking a pill, if it existed, to get rid of gender dysphoria because while it was never comfortable she thought it was a major part of her identity. That may be a uncommon opinion.

If it made me a cis woman, I'd take it a heartbeat.  If it just took away my gender dysphoria and I was a cis man, then I probably still would, but I feel like I could relate to somehow magically becoming a woman more than I could to being happy being a man.

Seeing as this thread is a thing I might as well post something cause what the hell.

I really don't care when it comes to people being trans. While I have limited knowledge on the subject, from what I have experienced first-hand outside of the news and internet, people who are trans (unless they are taking a lot of hormones or something) are really just normal people like everyone else when it comes down to things. The way I see things in general with this sort of stuff in general is that it is really never an issue. Whether or not a person or their actions are an issue comes down to the individual as a person and how they act towards others, not whether or not they are trans or whatever. If that makes sense.

On 10/7/2019 at 6:13 PM, Rezzy said:

I'm done hiding who I really am, but never really hid anything about myself besides my birth sex, and the friendships I've forged here are genuine, at least on my end.  If anyone has questions, either publicly, or privately, I will be happy to answer.

You were one of the first people that welcomed me to Serenes Forest and I think your actions speak for themselves. Trans women are women. Love and support you, friend. 

On 3/2/2020 at 2:05 AM, CatManThree said:

Seeing as this thread is a thing I might as well post something cause what the hell.

I really don't care when it comes to people being trans. While I have limited knowledge on the subject, from what I have experienced first-hand outside of the news and internet, people who are trans (unless they are taking a lot of hormones or something) are really just normal people like everyone else when it comes down to things. The way I see things in general with this sort of stuff in general is that it is really never an issue. Whether or not a person or their actions are an issue comes down to the individual as a person and how they act towards others, not whether or not they are trans or whatever. If that makes sense.

I hope I'm a pleasant enough individual.  I am medically transitioning.

On 3/6/2020 at 8:04 AM, Logjam said:

You were one of the first people that welcomed me to Serenes Forest and I think your actions speak for themselves. Trans women are women. Love and support you, friend. 

Thank you, glad you think well of me.

On 3/2/2020 at 2:50 AM, Rezzy said:

Most other trans people I talk to don't like being trans.  There might be a degree of pride in transitioning well and passing, if you can, but I don't think that's enough to make it worth it in any reasonable way.

I definitely wish I wasn't transgender.  I wish I had just been born a cis woman.  I also wouldn't have minded being a cis man, without the gender dysphoria.

That's what I assume, though it makes me feel a bit biggoted even suggesting that's how things would be viewed. I think it's because transgender issues have been wrapped up with homosexual issues and that whole sphere for a long time now and I'm not sure that's actually all that beneficial. Obviously there's some shared issues of generally fighting against intolerance, but I can't help think being transgender should be viewed more as a medical issue than a social one. If a gay person is trapped on a desert island the fact that there gay would be irrelevant, as the negative aspects of it comes from society's treatment. But if a transgender person is stuck on a desert then their transgenderness is still going to be an issue as it's a mix up of the brain and mind that still exists independent of what people actually think of it.

8 hours ago, Jotari said:

That's what I assume, though it makes me feel a bit biggoted even suggesting that's how things would be viewed. I think it's because transgender issues have been wrapped up with homosexual issues and that whole sphere for a long time now and I'm not sure that's actually all that beneficial. Obviously there's some shared issues of generally fighting against intolerance, but I can't help think being transgender should be viewed more as a medical issue than a social one. If a gay person is trapped on a desert island the fact that there gay would be irrelevant, as the negative aspects of it comes from society's treatment. But if a transgender person is stuck on a desert then their transgenderness is still going to be an issue as it's a mix up of the brain and mind that still exists independent of what people actually think of it.

I think this is an interesting subject that none of us are qualified to discuss (unless someone's secretly doing cutting-edge research on this).