No delete WTF?

Dr. C

I’m just going to ask it here right here right now. 

Why is there a no double posting rule and no delete button?

I don’t follow this logic at all.

Also, I’ve heard two mods to tell em relax it’s only 5 points now. Well now it’s 10. What does that mean? 

Forgive me for pressing the issue. I’m on the autism spectrum. High functioning grant you but technology is very much my enemy in a lot of ways and when a quote and an edit are two different functions and cause me to make a double post by accident and Then i cant delete it it stresses me out. 

With all due respect you can say it’s “only 5 points” but when it happens twice and the second time is because  In supposed to intuitively know that quotes don’t go into edits I have to say something and flagging your own post isn’t shooting yourself? 

I have an unfortunate talent for making the same mistake in many different ways and if you’re going to issue separate minor dings for  each act of one infraction... i am concerned it will add up and I’m not waiting until my account gets suspended for stupid minor reasons adding up to tell a mod... told you so.

I just can’t bring myself to post on Fire Emblem threads on gamefaqs anymore. Getting dumped on for not knowing how to read the damage display in Echoes is not my idea of the kind of community I want to have to go crawling back to. 

It’s going to take a lot more than just reading rules to navigate this site competently. That much I recognize just from tithe time I’ve already spent here but the community is great.

I just don’t find the layout user friendly at all. Maybe it is and my disability doesn’t allow me to see it but I can only say my perspective.

Autism spectrum here too. And I figured out how to dodge double posting warnings. Quite easily I may add.

A delete button for your own posts would be nice though.

Edited by Dragoncat

Like this. Except that I don't feel like hogging the entire 1st page.

And about SoV, the flashing part is the chunk of health you're going to lose....Or you could manually check the math before you get within stabbing range...Or burn out the mages with your ghosts.

Edited by Armchair General

25 minutes ago, Dr. C said:

Why is there a no double posting rule and no delete button?

It's to prevent spamming and making spam threads.  Also prevents the practice of "bumping" threads unless it's appropriate, which is why creative threads get a pass on double-posting if it's the topic creator doing it.

People hate spam because it's effectively like verbal clutter.  It makes threads seem bigger than they are, difficult to navigate, and all around just annoying if someone's constantly double-posting.

30 minutes ago, Dr. C said:

With all due respect you can say it’s “only 5 points” but when it happens twice and the second time is because  In supposed to intuitively know that quotes don’t go into edits I have to say something and flagging your own post isn’t shooting yourself? 

I think it is a bit of an overreaction, if I'm going to be honest.

If it was a mistake, the mods here will understand.  The points are just a slap on the wrist, if you have ill intentions the mods would've done much worse than simply mark you with a warn.

Reporting your own post isn't shooting yourself because the report function isn't exclusively used to narc on people.  Many people here, myself included, have used it to either move a thread to a more appropriate place, delete a post, or whatever other functions we want the mods to fulfill for us (within reason).  Like I said, they don't allow you to delete posts and threads yourself because you could spam posts that way, which New Members would use to bypass the post requirements to become normal Members and post their own threads.

If you need to refer to what someone else said through an edited post, you should use the tag system instead - type "@" and then the name of the user whose post you're referring to.  More often than not, people will know what specific thing you might be referring to.  The quote system for this site is a bit screwy for edited posts.  You'll just have to get used to that.

41 minutes ago, Dr. C said:

I just can’t bring myself to post on Fire Emblem threads on gamefaqs anymore. Getting dumped on for not knowing how to read the damage display in Echoes is not my idea of the kind of community I want to have to go crawling back to. 

GameFAQs is a right fucked community, I'll tell you that much.  You'll either be dealing with toxic elitists or repulsive pedophiles if you go there.  And it shows no signs of getting any better.

SF is understanding.  Maybe frustrating in its own way, but I don't believe there's as such a thing as the perfect community.  People here - the staff included - are generally respectful and tolerant.

44 minutes ago, Dr. C said:

I just don’t find the layout user friendly at all. Maybe it is and my disability doesn’t allow me to see it but I can only say my perspective.

It's based on the Invision Community Forums layout, which is fairly typical of a lot of smaller forum sites like this.

There's not a lot the staff can do to change how the forums function.  They can only change the board organization or add themes.

47 minutes ago, Dr. C said:

Forgive me for pressing the issue. I’m on the autism spectrum. High functioning grant you but technology is very much my enemy in a lot of ways and when a quote and an edit are two different functions and cause me to make a double post by accident and Then i cant delete it it stresses me out.

I am on the spectrum as well, as are a number of other users on this site.  Mine's very mild, mind you, but still.  You just have to keep a cool head and try to rationalize what is wrong and how you can fix it.

Once more, if you are doing things by accident, it's understandable so long as you learn from your mistakes and the mods will almost certainly not press you on such matters if you don't repeat your mistakes frequently.

The little + box next to quote will let you quote multiple posts.  You can edit old posts and even add quotes there with a bit of fenangling by quoting something, then copy pasting it into your old post without hitting "post" on the new post.

2 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Like this. Except that I don't feel like hogging the entire 1st page

I'm going to let this one pass to set an example, and because you are 100% correct 

_____

If you do on accident please write in the post as to why it happened or flag yourself and you won't get points.

I haven't noticed it for a while, but a year or two ago, it would often double or even triple post people posts at random times.  That was always fun.

2 hours ago, Captain Karnage said:

I'm going to let this one pass to set an example, and because you are 100% correct 

_____

If you do on accident please write in the post as to why it happened or flag yourself and you won't get points.

Hell no, this guy deserves some bragging rights.

Anyway, the Report button is "hey mods please look at this".  You can use it on yourself, if you accidentally posted twice in a row.  You can use it if you posted a thread in the wrong place.  Or for a bunch of other things.  I'm not gonna warn you for actual mistakes~!

There are forums that I've participated in which automerge double posts that are made within a reasonable time window.

If that isn't too tricky to implement I think that would be helpful. Not only would it bring the "benefits" that the double posting rules supposedly have, it would also cut down on the amount of manual work that mods need to do.

3 hours ago, Silly said:

There are forums that I've participated in which automerge double posts that are made within a reasonable time window.

If that isn't too tricky to implement I think that would be helpful. Not only would it bring the "benefits" that the double posting rules supposedly have, it would also cut down on the amount of manual work that mods need to do.

Yeah, then I can lay off the double-posting warns, too.  But first, let's make sure everyone can post what they need to, and that the auto-merge thing doesn't run into the issues certain manual merges do (namely, the character limit).

On 10/8/2019 at 1:12 PM, Rezzy said:

The little + box next to quote will let you quote multiple posts.  You can edit old posts and even add quotes there with a bit of fenangling by quoting something, then copy pasting it into your old post without hitting "post" on the new post.

Oh, so that's how you do it? I'll give it a try.

On 10/8/2019 at 11:03 AM, Dr. C said:

Also on the spectrum here. But I'm really good with technology. But I can still see your point. There's only one forum that I've been on which allows me to delete my posts. I think it's a thing to prevent inconsistencies or something...

On 10/8/2019 at 4:22 PM, eclipse said:

Anyway, the Report button is "hey mods please look at this".  You can use it on yourself, if you accidentally posted twice in a row.  You can use it if you posted a thread in the wrong place.  Or for a bunch of other things.  I'm not gonna warn you for actual mistakes~!

I've done that myself in other forums, especially when I double-posted due to a glitch. The admins got rid of it without grilling me or anything.

1 hour ago, WeAreNewcastle1053 said:

Oh, so that's how you do it? I'll give it a try.

Also on the spectrum here. But I'm really good with technology. But I can still see your point. There's only one forum that I've been on which allows me to delete my posts. I think it's a thing to prevent inconsistencies or something...

I've done that myself in other forums, especially when I double-posted due to a glitch. The admins got rid of it without grilling me or anything.

I'm happy for you.

High Functioning is a fickle beast where technology is concerned.

Also, my brain moves faster than my mouth and hands causing causing it to sound like I have stutter and look like I can't type to save my life. That also makes things very bad with tech.