I have an idea for a Fire Emblem Succession Game as an Ironman playthrough. Would anyone be interested in trying to play?

Which Game would you want to play/see played as a Succession game  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which Game would you want to play/see played as a Succession game

• FE 1
    • FE 2
    • FE 3
    • FE 5
    • FE 6
    • FE 7
    • FE 8
    • FE 11
    • FE 12

To make sure we are all on the same page, a Succession game is a meta multiplayer game where one player plays through part of the game, then passes the save onto the next player, and does a writeup of their experience. I haven't seen anyone try to play a Succession Game of a Fire Emblem game, and wanted to try one out, but sorta need a group of people to play. I figure having it be Iron Man would make for the most interesting style of play for a Succession game, as finding out who survived that you have to use to play with would be interesting. Now I am posting this to first gauge interest, and get some feedback for what rules we should use in the game, for as far as I know we are stepping into somewhat uncharted territory.

These are my thoughts so far for the rules, it would be an iron man run, although I am not entirely sure how to handle game overs. My first though is just no penalty for game over, or having to pass the save on early. As for how many chapters you play before passing the save on I was thinking somewhere in the 1-3 chapter range depending on how many people want to play. I was thinking a player would have one week to play through their chapter(s), then pass on the save file, and then another week to do a writeup of some sort. As for which game to use there are a few things to consider, first it has to be an easily emulated game to allow for easily passing the save file along, and second it has to be a game that makes for an interesting ironman run. My first two thoughts were either FE6 or FE12, as both have large casts of filler characters that rarely see use, and modes difficult enough to make for interesting Iron Man runs. FE5 would also make for an interesting game to run in this style, as the additional resource management of fatigue, and more restrictive equipment would make things more interesting as well. Than again I don't want to deter people by suggesting too difficult of games, so I think I will add a poll. This is still in the planning phases so far, so suggestions are appreciated, and if you are interested in trying out this Succession Game please comment below.

Edited by Eltosian Kadath

Interesting?  Yes.  But I think you'll have better luck if you pick out a game and make a rule set, then see if anyone's interested.  I'll also throw in FE11 as a suggestion, since generics are fairly easy to come by.

Oh jeez... this sounds awesome, so I might be interested depending on the game, but depending on how much time it takes, given my other obligations, I might not be able to.

If we do do this, could we do it as a boatmurdered style diary roleplay thing where this army keeps getting passed from tactician to tactician?

@Fire Brand Hard no on FE10. It is extremely hostile to ironmanning between its dearth of replacement prepromotes on several routes and the existence of the obnoxious "Micaiah and BK in the woods" map.

Edited by Alastor15243

FE5 would be only fair play if you pass the game after every 2nd chapter, otherwise the fatigue might just helps you to screw over the other player if you want to be sure to have a unit. I know S Drinks is a thing, but they are limited. Also the game is already difficult even if you play it alone.

FE6 sounds interesting, large cast to play with, higher difficulty, but it's more forgiving than Thracia. You can get a good selection of interesting equipments, so it has fun potential. Maybe don't go on Hard Mode for a first try, just to keep things sane.

FE7 you could try a rematch if you had fun at first time. First time on Eliwood route, then you can play the other's chapter on Hector's route. Of course, that requires 2 playthroughs.

Don't go with FE4 - since the chapters are extremely long, I don't think this would be a good game to play like this.

No idea about the other titles.

Edited by Garlyle

I thought this was a thing in the past (albeit under a different name)?

7 hours ago, Fire Brand said:

I'd suggest FE10 myself, again it has a large cast and is very enjoyable to ironman. I'd be up for it depending on the game chosen.

Sorry, but I agree with Alastor - it's too hostile to ironmanning.

11 hours ago, eclipse said:

But I think you'll have better luck if you pick out a game and make a rule set, then see if anyone's interested. 

Fair enough, but I am kinda glad I started with this testing of the waters as I was not expecting this much FE7 support, and choice of game has a significant impact on the number of players, which is important for this type of game. I think I will give it a few more days to gather feedback before getting things officially started with game and rule set clearly displayed.

6 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

but depending on how much time it takes, given my other obligations, I might not be able to.

I am leaning towards 2 chapters between passing the save, with a week to complete it, and then giving them the next week (overlapping with the next player's play time) to do a writeup, and then you should have a week for each player before it cycles back to you. If you have another suggestion for how to schedule it to make things less impactful on people's schedules I am open to ideas.

6 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

If we do do this, could we do it as a boatmurdered style diary roleplay thing where this army keeps getting passed from tactician to tactician?

I must admit coming back to Dwarf Fortress is what got me thinking about this idea, and kinda what I was thinking the writeup would be.

5 hours ago, Garlyle said:

FE5 would be only fair play if you pass the game after every 2nd chapter, otherwise the fatigue might just helps you to screw over the other player if you want to be sure to have a unit.

That is a good point. I am now leaning toward 2 chapters per pass-off now.

5 hours ago, Garlyle said:

FE7 you could try a rematch if you had fun at first time. First time on Eliwood route, then you can play the other's chapter on Hector's route. Of course, that requires 2 playthroughs.

That is an interesting idea, but probably not this time, unless there is overwhelming interest I think one playthrough would be enough.

6 hours ago, Garlyle said:

Don't go with FE4 - since the chapters are extremely long, I don't think this would be a good game to play like this.

Fair enough. It might work if the game was passed off after each castle seize, but figuring that out would be an extra layer of complication and rules, so I will take it off the list.

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

If you can remember what name was used in the past, or can point me towards one of these playthroughs I would be interested in seeing it.

1 hour ago, Fire Brand said:

How about FE9?

My worry is that FE9&10 are a bit harder to emulate, and not having any personal experience with using Dolphin.

3 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I forgot the name as well.  But it was done via the DS games, and it was hilarious.

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

If you can remember what name was used in the past, or can point me towards one of these playthroughs I would be interested in seeing it.

I found one, albeit from long ago:

On 10/8/2019 at 12:34 PM, Shadow Mir said:

I found one, albeit from long ago: 

Thanks for sharing, and using the key term Tag-team I have found a few others. One trend I quickly noted is that most have players pick a couple of units whose death is reset worthy to prevent trolling. I may be a bit naive in thinking players will play in good faith, so such a rule shouldn't be necessary, plus having such a rule would restrict the interesting part of an ironman. I will have to think about this.

EDIT:

I have opened a new Topic in the Let's Play forum with the actual playthrough here

If you are interested in playing please read through the rules and inform me either by message me, or by posting in the new thread.

In the event that any who have posted here is interested in joining, and does not regularly check the Lets Play Forum I will call you here to see this edit.

@eclipse@Fire Brand@Vicious Sal@Alastor15243@Garlyle@Shadow Mir

Edited by Eltosian Kadath
Avoiding a Double Post