Most irritating/boring maps in Fire Emblem?

Maddie

I'm just curious what everyone's least favourite map(s) in the franchise are. For me I've always found the desert or fog of war maps really irritating especially on a first playthrough when you have no idea what to expect. Desert maps are just annoying in general as most non-mage foot units become useless due to their limited movement range. So when I recently came across Chapter 14 in Binding Blade I just screamed. A map that has both the FoW and in a desert plus Wyvern Knights and mages which can heavily damage your flying units. I know it's not the hardest map I've ever played but it was definitely one of my least favorites. Other than that unless it is the same map repeated often in a game I usually enjoy every map.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you on FE4 and 10 for sure. a desert map in genealogy was horrendous especially considering how long it takes to complete a usual map in general in that game. FE10 part 4 was irritating until endgame at least redeemed it for me but that desert map was by far the worst of the part 4 maps. Not yet played Fates but I'm honestly quite excited for Conquest.

Half of Revelation's maps with their obnoxious time-consuming gimmicks, half of FE1's maps for being huge winding hallways with almost no enemies, and any level in Three Houses that thinks it's cute to all but force death on the player to "incentivize" rewinds.

Edited by Alastor15243

4 minutes ago, Edegard1902 said:

@Alastor15243 Are Revelations maps actually as bad as I've heard? I've heard that some of the gimmicks can make certain maps take forever too complete for example.

None of them actually make the game harder. Hell, most of them make the game easier. Their main effect, however, is making the game much, much slower. Chapter 10 is the most infamous example, but there are a lot of maps that are nearly as bad.

Binding Blade's water temple and light tower map are definitely up there. A water map where the ground randomly appears and reappears, and a map where you are randomly (or in a det pattern that's very hard to memorize) attacked by out of combat beams of light every turn that can kill you if you're at 10 HP or less. 

3 minutes ago, Fire Brand said:

Basically any map from 3H, aside from Shambhala and GD endgame, as they are tedious, dull warp kill boss maps that are reused to death.

As for the other games, FE4 Chapter 9's triforce wyvern fest. 

I initially panicked when I realized I might have to restart the entire map but I managed to defeat the enemies with Seliph alone and using a warp ring to return to the castle. Recruiting Hannibal was a pain too and I didn't end up using him besides castle defense. 3H maps aren't as good as some of the other games but I absolutely loved Shambhala and GD endgame not just because of the soundtrack but it was actually really fun to play through albeit too easy as it was a NG+ run.

12 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

None of them actually make the game harder. Hell, most of them make the game easier. Their main effect, however, is making the game much, much slower. Chapter 10 is the most infamous example, but there are a lot of maps that are nearly as bad.

Are the character interactions between the two casts at least worth the game? Or does it at least have a really fun final map? I really want to play it after Birthright and Conquest as it'd be weird it being only game I've not played.

3 minutes ago, Edegard1902 said:

Are the character interactions between the two casts at least worth the game? Or does it at least have a really fun final map? I really want to play it after Birthright and Conquest as it'd be weird it being only game I've not played.

In-story? Hell no, the story is a trainwreck and the royal families barely interact. In supports? Look them up on YouTube and see for yourself, they're all on there.

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

Swamps suck.  Especially the Gaiden/Echoes version of it.

Hide contents

At least the swamp in 3H goes away eventually.

It was so irritating as you had to deal with the damage on top of the terrible movements. Then there was that swamp map with the Dragons spawning often.

Just now, Edegard1902 said:

It was so irritating as you had to deal with the damage on top of the terrible movements. Then there was that swamp map with the Dragons spawning often.

Echoes didn't have reclassing, which made it an especial pain in the HP.

The maps I like the least are the ones where there are no side objectives or gimmicks to make the map interesting, no interestingly placed enemy groups, and a weak or mediocre boss who doesn't pose any real threat to the player's units. In other words, I don't like most of Awakening's maps.

The one map that comes to mind when I read the title is the Christmas FE Revelations map.

There's other maps as well like that one map in BB where if you weren't fast enough your units got stuck or even the map you play after you get Sophia or ch. 24x in Thracia. Still, the Revelation map still annoys me the most.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

FE10 Part 4 maps - Unlimited Reinforecements + Route = disgusting.

How can you ever beat the map if reinforcements are infinite?

Radiant Dawn Chapter 1-9. I understand that it is for story reasons that Micaiah is the only character available, but all that experience going to waste on the Black Knight still annoys me.

Literally all of FE6's gaiden chapters. Most of them have godawful gimmicks that make Revelation's gimmicks look tolerable (special mention to 14x and its disappearing bridges, 16x and the arrows of light that can kill your units and cannot be predicted in any way, and 20x Sacae for the fact that seizing one of the targets can instead trigger an ambush), and one that doesn't (which happens to be the first one) compensates with a blatantly overpowered boss instead. Also, the desert map from the same game because fog of war and reduced mobility is a fun-killing combination. Not to mention most of Binding Blade's other maps, which are an exercise in tedium due to being long, winding maps with nothing of note to make them interesting. Aside from those, I also dislike 2-1 in Radiant Dawn (too few units), as well as 4-4 (forces you to use three units you haven't seen or had the chance to use since freaking part one, which is a huge dick move on the devs' part). Awakening has paralogue 13 (the fact that you don't see the entirety of what you're up against until the map starts makes it hard to strategize, and the unit you get here being one of the worse child units doesn't help matters). Fates has Ignatius's and Shiro's paralogues (who thought putting the guy I need to protect/recruit a long ways away from my starting position was a good idea? Especially considering if you wait too long to play their paralogues, they'll die before you can make it to them).

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

Swamps suck.  Especially the Gaiden/Echoes version of it.

Reveal hidden contents

At least the swamp in 3H goes away eventually.

Come on, swamps in Echoes are easy to cheese if you're huddled around a Saint and have a decent vanguard.

What irritates me is camping to wait out the reinforcement spam on Birthright.

1 minute ago, Armchair General said:

Come on, swamps in Echoes are easy to cheese if you're huddled around a Saint and have a decent vanguard.

Topic is "most irritating/boring maps in FE", and I think having to huddle around someone fulfills both criteria.  Or use fliers.  Or take HP damage.

My least favorite map in all of Fire Emblem is Chapter 26 of Conquest in Fates. I hate it because of how blatantly unfair it is. Oh sure, have Iago spam staves at you even though his class can't use them while dealing with sieges from Faceless and a Zerg rush of Berserkers and Generals. That's totally fair. Like, not even Kaga would do something like that in FE5.

10 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

My least favorite map in all of Fire Emblem is Chapter 26 of Conquest in Fates. I hate it because of how blatantly unfair it is. Oh sure, have Iago spam staves at you even though his class can't use them while dealing with sieges from Faceless and a Zerg rush of Berserkers and Generals. That's totally fair. Like, not even Kaga would do something like that in FE5.

How is that unfair that the enemy can do things you can't, when it's properly explained and set up as the core challenge? Is it unfair that enemy is allowed to deploy more units than you can?