Most irritating/boring maps in Fire Emblem?

Maddie

15 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

My least favorite map in all of Fire Emblem is Chapter 26 of Conquest in Fates. I hate it because of how blatantly unfair it is. Oh sure, have Iago spam staves at you even though his class can't use them while dealing with sieges from Faceless and a Zerg rush of Berserkers and Generals. That's totally fair. Like, not even Kaga would do something like that in FE5.

It's Iago, that's to be expected considering he's a coward and schemer.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

My least favorite map in all of Fire Emblem is Chapter 26 of Conquest in Fates. I hate it because of how blatantly unfair it is. Oh sure, have Iago spam staves at you even though his class can't use them while dealing with sieges from Faceless and a Zerg rush of Berserkers and Generals. That's totally fair. Like, not even Kaga would do something like that in FE5.

This map is one of my favorites tbh,  it really requires you to strategize in ways you would've have thought of prior.   Ya just gotta take your time and save those rescue/entrap staves.

6 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

No, it's unfair that a character like Iago is able to use staves despite the fact that Sorcerers can't use staves in Fates. Like, I hate it when enemies are given access to weapon types they shouldn't be able to use

Why? If Iago were a unique class like Nohrian King would you be complaining?

Just now, Gregster101 said:

No, I wouldn't

So, your entire complaint about the unfair gameplay of a level boils down to the fact that the boss of the level has the same class name, model and attack animations as a class that can't do something he can do.

• The entireity of FE4.
  • Ch.24x of Thracia 776. Warp tiles everywhere
  • Ch.14 of Binding Blade. Fog of War desert with a time-limit. 
  • Ch.21 of Binding Blade. Giant (not FE4-sized) map with a time-limit with never-ending proximity reinforcements? What is this bullshit.
  • Ch.27 of Blazing Blade. It's basically the same as FE6 Ch.21 (it's even like, east of the same location) but without the time-limit and the reinforcements do end......eventually.
  • Ch.17 of Conquest: Claustrohobic and you're just getting ganged up on by Ninjas from everywhere. Poison Strike haha fun. These fuckers probably have Inevitable End on Lunatic mode too.
  • Ch.26 of Conquest: As mentioned before, Iago has a skill exclusively designed to fuck with the player. It's not even something that makes sense, like Dragonskin.
  • Conquest Endgame: Mainly because if you restart, it puts you two chapters back. Lmao fuck that.
  • Bernadetta and Petra's paralouge in 3H: Purposely lies to you.
  • Like the last three chapters of Blue Lions. Those last three chapters are just siege-weapons, the game. The final boss gets to attack twice with it's 1-30 range.
  • Golden Deer endgame: why the fuck is the final boss so fucking strong? I'm convinced you need actual luck to beat him. 
4 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

No, it's unfair that a character like Iago is able to use staves despite the fact that Sorcerers can't use staves in Fates. Like, I hate it when enemies are given access to weapon types they shouldn't be able to use

On that note, while not exactly the same thing, i found it really retarded that in FE4, the enemies can switch weapons during the player phase. Like, Generals can use all physical weapons right? Let's say you fight one with a lance and a bow. It uses a lance during the enemy phase. Then, during your turn, you attack the same General with a 2-range weapon and oh, the General has a bow now......even though it ended it's turn using a lance.

Just now, Alastor15243 said:

Why? If Iago were a unique class like Nohrian King would you be complaining?

If Iago were in his own unique class that allowed the use of staves, then it would be fine. Instead, he's in a class that can't use staves normally but he exclusively can because fuck the player i guess.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

If Iago were in his own unique class that allowed the use of staves, then it would be fine. Instead, he's in a class that can't use staves normally but he exclusively can because fuck the player i guess.

Like I said to Gregster, that isn't a gameplay complaint, it's an aesthetics complaint. You don't take issue with giving a boss the ability to do what Iago does, you just resent that he has the same class name, outfit and attack animations as units that can't.

3 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Like I said to Gregster, that isn't a gameplay complaint, it's an aesthetics complaint. You don't take issue with giving a boss the ability to do what Iago does, you just resent that he has the same class name, outfit and attack animations as units that can't.

That's still unfair game design though

1 hour ago, Gannondworf13 said:

No one has mentioned Battle Before Dawn from FE7. You can literally lose Jaffar before you can do anything to prevent it. Not to mention its fog of war with a boss that has a siege tome, and the ally you have to protect is worthless in combat. 

Luckily, RNG manipulation can save the day.  Even if it's really frustrating.  But it's a lot better than having a forced team composition.

1 minute ago, Alastor15243 said:

Except it breaks the rules of the game. If i fight a Sorcerer, i expect to fight a Sorcerer, not a unique class disguised as one. I'd be saying the same thing if i was fighting the always physical-locked Warriors but then i come across one that can use magic.

I suppose in the long run it's not as big of a deal as some of the other shit but it's still pretty retarded.

Just now, Armagon said:

Except it breaks the rules of the game. If i fight a Sorcerer, i expect to fight a Sorcerer, not a unique class disguised as one. I'd be saying the same thing if i was fighting the always physical-locked Warriors but then i come across one that can use magic.

I suppose in the long run it's not as big of a deal as some of the other shit but it's still pretty retarded.

Except the fact that he can use staves is clearly telegraphed and isn't used for the sake of a deceptive cheap trick. Anyone highlighting enemy ranges will be alerted to it on the combat preparation screen without even needing to scan his inventory. It's just an extra thing that a late-game boss can do in order to add a challenge. I agree it would have been better for him to have his own custom class to be able to use staves, but the idea of this being "unfair" game design in any sense just flat out doesn't fly.

Another one that came to mind - chapter 13 in non-Crimson Flower routes. Among other things, you're stuck using the units from your original house, which sucks since every house has at least one unit who's much worse compared to the others (Caspar for Black Eagles, Raphael for Golden Deer, Ashe for Blue Lions). Also, chapter 5 because it's easy to accidentally aggro most of the enemy units near Miklan's area, and possibly Miklan himself, which results in you getting overwhelmed.

Edited by Shadow Mir

2 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Except the fact that he can use staves is clearly telegraphed and isn't used for the sake of a deceptive cheap trick. Anyone highlighting enemy ranges will be alerted to it on the combat preparation screen without even needing to scan his inventory. It's just an extra thing that a late-game boss can do in order to add a challenge.

Yeah, i know you can see it beforehand, i just don't think it's a very good way of a making a challenge. Iago being able to use a weapon type in a class that normally can't is like a less extreme version of enemies being unaffected by Fog of War. Breaking the rules of the game.

I still think Conquest has the best gameplay in the series but it is kinda dumb at times.

1 minute ago, Shadow Mir said:

Another one that came to mind - chapter 13 in non-Crimson Flower routes. Among other things, you're stuck using the units from your original house, which sucks since every house has at least one unit who's much worse compared to the others

Oh yeah, that map does suck. It's better in Golden Deer because at least Claude has mobillity and the best Battalion in the game but it's not a well designed in terms of how you play the map (layout itself is fine). 

2 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Also, chapter 5 because it's easy to accidentally aggro most of the enemy units near Miklan's area, and possibly Miklan himself, which results in you getting overwhelmed.

Actually, this makes the map easier because then Miklan moves out of his throne bonuses and when you kill him and he becomes the Beast, everyone gets transported to the center of the room. Remaining enemies will still remain but only where they were at pre-transformation. And Beast Miklan isn't too hard to take out

Ch.5 Fire Emblem (FE6): A massive patch of forests with those wonky weapons stats just don't make a good combination. Doesn't help that a good amount of enemies are Mercenaries with their ridicilously high Spd making it even harder to get reliable hit rates. I'm also not fond of the boss having a Killer weapon this early on and likely screwing you over with a crit.

Ch.26x/28x Night of Farewells (FE7): Unlike 14x in FE6 you don't have Warp for this awful map gimmick, meaning you are forced to play through it. Even worse there are tons of reinforcements on this map to drag it out even longer, never mind Sonia on her throne is annoying to take down.

Ch.5x Unbroken Heart (FE8): Compared to most long-winded maps people tend to whine about this one is imo the worst because you have to traverse it with only 4 units and limited inventory. Combine that with narrow passageways and this map is very annoying to low-turn.

Ch.26 Clash! (FE9): As much as I love PoR, play this map at Maniac mode and then tell me of your experience. Spoilers; you will absolutely agree with me that this is not fun.

Part 4, as in all of it (FE10): Even though I really dislike the unit management in this game at the very least the maps were challenging and interesting (especially the varied objectives). Reach Part 4 and everything good I just said about the gameplay flies straight out of the window.

Ch.19 The Conqueror (FE13): This ain't map design, Awakening.

Kitsune Lair, Winds of Change (Fates): Conquest maps so good and free of shitty gimmicks, am I right? Mmmm, I'm dripping with sarcasm today, I wonder why.

Postgame (Shadows of Valentia): While technically not "maps" traversing through this dungeon is not fun at all. It's very tedious and unforgiving for a rather unnecessary piece of lore.

Edited by Shiki

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Actually, this makes the map easier because then Miklan moves out of his throne bonuses and when you kill him and he becomes the Beast, everyone gets transported to the center of the room. Remaining enemies will still remain but only where they were at pre-transformation. And Beast Miklan isn't too hard to take out

That's not much help when I get overwhelmed by the other units charging me down en route to him and I have to worry about him potentially one shotting one of my units while at the same time dealing with everything else. Doesn't help that once you pass a certain point, reinforcements come in from behind.

3 minutes ago, Shiki said:

Kitsune Lair, Winds of Change (Fates): Conquest maps so good and free of shitty gimmicks, am I right? Mmmm, I'm dripping with sarcasm today, I wonder why.

Winds of change is on my list of top 10 Fire Emblem maps of all time. In fact, first time I played it, I added a house rule time limit, and I don't think I've ever felt so alive playing a Fire Emblem game.

I think it is time to name a few

FE7 HHM Chapter 28: Battle Before Dawn: first for the Jaffar and Nino RNG luck, as well as for the glitch that super powered Maxime, and having Ursula move in the fog just in time to bolting Zephiel to death on the last turn.

FE7 HHM Chapter 22x: Genesis: Having Kishuna leave arbitrarily on turn 5, with the gimmick of that map is just plain cruel.

FE8 Ephraim Chapter 11: Phantom Ship: Mixed attacking flying units ambushing you from the fog when you have limited space to maneuver on a ship is kinda BS. The game as a whole isn't hard, but that BS is kinda irritating.

FE12 Chapter 11: Anri's way: I Hate Wyverns, and it is entirely this maps fault. Twelve move flying units (in a game where promoted Fliers have 10) with high speed and attack, all striking you in the desert.

FE14 Conquest Endgame Lunatic: Staff savant, Inevitable End, and Enfeeble are disgusting together. There are very few maps in the series that I want to warp skip, and this is one of them.

Speaking of maps I like to warp skip

FE12 Chapter 22 Dragon Alter & FE11 Chapter 24 The Dragonkin Realm: Both are just boring maps overfilled with dragons that feels like filler maps that delay important parts of the late game.

These three I will put down as irritating for having traps on the map that you basically have to lookup to avoid having a bad time.

FE5 Chapter 16B, FE5 Chapter 24x, FE9 Chapter 23, and FE10 Part 3 Chapter 11.

21 minutes ago, Edegard1902 said:

So if I play Thracia with a walkthrough i'll know what to expect?

yeah. There's that mini guide that should be sufficient
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/491108580175642625/631269248529989652/thracia_776_guide.docx

Fewod also also helps

23 minutes ago, Edegard1902 said:

Is the gameplay better than Genealogy?

Much much better. Thracia's gameplay is one of the best in the Series imo.
Honestly, the one thing that annoys me with it is Kaga going full Kaga surprise mode, especially in X chapters and late game chapters. But it's still pretty good.

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

FE12 Chapter 11: Anri's way: I Hate Wyverns, and it is entirely this maps fault. Twelve move flying units (in a game where promoted Fliers have 10) with high speed and attack, all striking you in the desert.

I raise you Chapter 12, where half the map is a bridge, and moving out of the way of those damn wyverns is FUN.

Plus, reinforcements from behind.  Yeah.