Most irritating/boring maps in Fire Emblem?

Maddie

3 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I raise you Chapter 12, where half the map is a bridge, and moving out of the way of those damn wyverns is FUN.

Plus, reinforcements from behind.  Yeah.

Yeah the Wyverns on that map are awful, but I actually like how they handled that first set of reinforcements from the rear. The 3 forts in the very back out of all of the action makes it clear that enemies will spawn there, and the location of the save point gives you an idea of the general area that will trigger the spawn to help clue you into the trap that is coming without directly telling you before hand (plus if you are using the save points it tend to get you a restart point just before the trap triggers so you can jump into the action with the time to prepare for it). Its also well timed with ambush spawns such that if your army is together you should still have some time to respond, but still have to deal with a tactical situation that Fire Emblem rarely implements well, being attack from both sides. Both the enemies you aggroed from the front and enemies that spawned in the rear are too strong to simply stomp through a side with an overpower unit or two, and you don't have the room to reposition and turn it into a larger fight on one front, nor do you have the time to focus on one without having to find some way to distract or hold off the other. Then they have a delayed spawn of Wyverns from the front and ruin everything, and the spawns near the end of the map can easily catch you off guard. The trap of Chapter 13 I think of as worse, as its not as well telegraphed, and best deal with by cheesing the trap by using a dance or enbooted Marth to seize on the turn it triggers (plus the Wyverns that spawn in the corner on any difficulty higher than Normal makes it a nastier trap immediately).

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to mention only 1.

Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 - Chapter 21: Liberation Wars

Couple of reasons really:

• 11 ballistas, some of them can poison you
  • 8 wyverns with the Prayer skill
  • A mage with a Sleep staff
  • A lot of reinforcements early in the map
  • The boss also has a Blizzard tome which can also put you to sleep

Took me 60 turns to beat it for the first time.

• FE4 Chapter 1 (specifically the forest portion where you recruit Jamke) - You spend like 50 turns just moving your units 1 square at a time and you have to make sure Aideen stays alive and not get dumpstered on in order to recruit Jamke
  • FE5 Chapter 18 (if you want Xavier) - Recruiting Xavier is a big pain in the ass, also tried to get the Member's Card which is not worth it at all by saving/capturing all the Leonster soldiers
  • FE7 Chapter 29 Hector Mode - Sleep/Silence/Berserk staff spam is always fun, doesn't help that the Valkyries are quite potent units since they have a randomly high amount of speed
  • FE8 Chapter 11 Ephriam's Route - Ghost ship map is not fun (unless you just deploy Duessel/Ephraim/Vanessa/Seth), having to protect your squishies from Gargoyles and Evil Eyes is annoying, also trying to keep L'Arachel alive is also pretty annoying too
  • FE9 Chapter 21 - Sleep staff spam again
  • FE9 Chapter 25 - Boulder map is fun, also nice to have to deal with Ballistas and an onslaught of Wyvern Lords/Riders as well with your horse unit's move cut in half
  • FE9/10 Great Bridge Chapter - Potholes that the game don't tell you where they are located (played this without a guide so that was fun). Also in FE10 there's always that one Sage or Bishop that literally places a Shine Barrier in the chokepoint surrounded by potholes which is also annoying
  • FE10 Chapter 3-6 - Fog of War map with enemy Laguz as the main enemies, fun fun especially with your noob brigade squad (trying to keep anyone not named Zihark/Nolan/Jill/Sothe is a feat in itself, considering any Hawk/Raven/Tiger that gets close will take out the other units)
  • FE12 Chapter 3 - Recruiting Bord/Julian/Matthis takes forever and you have to drag Marth around the map, bonus points in harder difficulties where you accidentally aggro the Dracoknights on the mountain area
  • FE15 Chapter 25 Revelations - Elevator map is the worst designed map in Fates (and there are a lot but, this takes the cake for me)
  • FE17 Chapter 13-16 AM/VW/SS routes - The game loves these maps so much they put them on every single route, without changing anything
Edited by Lunarly

3 hours ago, Lunarly said:
  • FE4 Chapter 1 (specifically the forest portion where you recruit Jamke) - You spend like 50 turns just moving your units 1 square at a time and you have to make sure Aideen stays alive and not get dumpstered on in order to recruit Jamke
  • FE5 Chapter 18 (if you want Xavier) - Recruiting Xavier is a big pain in the ass, also tried to get the Member's Card which is not worth it at all by saving/capturing all the Leonster soldiers
  • FE7 Chapter 29 Hector Mode - Sleep/Silence/Berserk staff spam is always fun, doesn't help that the Valkyries are quite potent units since they have a randomly high amount of speed
  • FE8 Chapter 11 Ephriam's Route - Ghost ship map is not fun (unless you just deploy Duessel/Ephraim/Vanessa/Seth), having to protect your squishies from Gargoyles and Evil Eyes is annoying, also trying to keep L'Arachel alive is also pretty annoying too
  • FE9 Chapter 21 - Sleep staff spam again
  • FE9 Chapter 25 - Boulder map is fun, also nice to have to deal with Ballistas and an onslaught of Wyvern Lords/Riders as well with your horse unit's move cut in half
  • FE9/10 Great Bridge Chapter - Potholes that the game don't tell you where they are located (played this without a guide so that was fun). Also in FE10 there's always that one Sage or Bishop that literally places a Shine Barrier in the chokepoint surrounded by potholes which is also annoying
  • FE10 Chapter 3-6 - Fog of War map with enemy Laguz as the main enemies, fun fun especially with your noob brigade squad (trying to keep anyone not named Zihark/Nolan/Jill/Sothe is a feat in itself, considering any Hawk/Raven/Tiger that gets close will take out the other units)
  • FE12 Chapter 3 - Recruiting Bord/Julian/Matthis takes forever and you have to drag Marth around the map, bonus points in harder difficulties where you accidentally aggro the Dracoknights on the mountain area
  • FE15 Chapter 25 Revelations - Elevator map is the worst designed map in Fates (and there are a lot but, this takes the cake for me)
  • FE17 Chapter 13-16 AM/VW/SS routes - The game loves these maps so much they put them on every single route, without changing anything

Don't mix up SoV with Fates. It doesn't have dumb elevator maps. Also, Three Houses is FE16, not 17

Boring - literally everything in Gaiden/SoV. I struggled to finish it out of sheer tedium.

Irritating -

I hated the hospital level in Fates: Conquest.

Chapter 13 of Three Houses (every path but Crimson Flower).

Most of Radiant Dawn Act 1.

Every fog of war map ever. Fuck off with that mechanic.

15 hours ago, Shiki said:

Ch.5x Unbroken Heart (FE8): Compared to most long-winded maps people tend to whine about this one is imo the worst because you have to traverse it with only 4 units and limited inventory. Combine that with narrow passageways and this map is very annoying to low-turn.

Agreed. Doesn't help that Ephraim is a moron who didn't really equip himself and his troops well, considering that he and Kyle have Steel Lances, which are too heavy and inaccurate.

Another one that came to mind: Chapter 13 in Shadow Dragon. A map with pretty much only Ballisticians and their 3-10 range is anything but fun.

20 hours ago, Edegard1902 said:

@Alastor15243 Are Revelations maps actually as bad as I've heard? I've heard that some of the gimmicks can make certain maps take forever too complete for example.

At first I assumed they weren’t that bad, but ugh I was wrong. 

Chapter 7/8 are actually fine enough but it’s downhill from there

Chapter 9 is FUGAS WILD RIDE AGAIN but with less fliers and more bad units with less movement. Chapter 10 is the infamous snow shoveling one. 11 is like chapter 10 in BR but worse because you start in the middle. The maps pick up a bit after that being inoffensive at worst bar chapter 15 making you 180 halfway though to recruit a comically underleveled Nyx. Also ironically this is the most bland version of the rainbow sage. Then you reach a non-saveable-inbetween two chapter thing and the game is very downhill from here once you actually get to Valla.  Unit balancing only adds insult to injury where you see Odin joining like 8 chapters later than CQ having very similar stats in Rev. 

I personally found 23/24 in Binding Blade to be absolute slogs to play and as a rewards for getting to continue the story they’re not really that good. 

I think the reason why 24 bothers me is because I feel so torn about it, it’s basically the game rewarding you for being a hoarder using all of your divine weapon uses on a map that just lasts way too long. I mean conceptually it’s neat to be a final gauntlet but in practice just kill me getting Roy to sit on all those thrones. 

7 minutes ago, SubwayBossEmmett said:

Hey it could be worse, it could be a Tellius Bridge map!

There are exactly two maps that I outright dislike in Path of Radiance. This one, and the damn boulders.

And considering I loved Tellius so much in my youth that I still know most of the PoR maps by heart, that's saying something.

Edited by Etheus

1 minute ago, Alastor15243 said:

If you genuinely think SoV has better map design than Conquest or Birthright, I would love to debate that with you.

Shut the fuck up! Don't even think about saying Fates is a better game than Shadows of Valentia jack ass!

5 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

If you genuinely think SoV has better map design than Conquest or Birthright, I would love to debate that with you.

This may be the one time I agree with you on something regarding Fates.

I did not like Fates' map design, but at least it HAD map design. I can't even give SoV that much credit. Most of its maps look like something you'd get out of a procedural generation system, and those that aren't all rely on gimmicks.

But to each their own. If Gregster loves SoV, I respect that. A lot of people do. A lot of people don't. Fire Emblem is a diverse franchise with diverse fans. And I understand the anger to a point. I can't say I'm pleased with your constant slagging off of Three Houses.

Edited by Etheus

Just now, Etheus said:

This may be the one time I agree with you on something regarding Fates.

I did not like Fates' map design, but at least it HAD map design. I can't even give SoV that much credit. Most of its maps look like something you'd get out of a procedural generation system, and those that aren't all rely on gimmicks.

But to each their own. If Gregster loves SoV, I respect that. A lot of people do. A lot of people don't. Fire Emblem is a diverse franchise with diverse fans.

SoV is my second favorite FE, and I absolutely hate Fates. You will not convince me that Fates is a good game EVER!