Quality of Life Improvement Ideas from Three Houses (or any game)

XRay

I have not actually played Three Houses yet, but I have seen some gameplay videos. One of the biggest quality of life improvement I have seen is that they show you how the AI plans to move and attack on Enemy Phase as you move your units on Player Phase! I think this should be pretty easy to implement into Heroes to show how the enemies plan to move via arrows on the ground or something.

This will make the game more accessible to players and lessen the need to learn AI movement. It will also make difficult maps less frustrating and hopefully make Aether Raids more appealing to more players.

To compliment that feature, I think it would be nice if they can implement Enemy Phase combat calculations as well, and if there are more than one enemy that targets your unit, it can show the combat results sequentially. Player Phase have this feature, but I think giving Enemy Phase this feature is important too.

Any other quality of life gameplay ideas you have seen from the main series or other turn based games that would make Heroes better?

Edited by XRay

Maybe something along the lines of an “undo” function. Like if a finger slips and you accidentally Move and End when you meant to Move and Attack with one unit. Unless a Divine Pulse mechanic is put into place, this would only work when you have units left to move, like items in AA.

Also, perhaps a “zoom-out” feature when viewing the Heroes portraits so we can see the whole thing, like with Hardin or other huge Heroes! I play on a tiny screen so it’d be nice :3

3 minutes ago, Grandosco said:

Maybe something along the lines of an “undo” function. Like if a finger slips and you accidentally Move and End when you meant to Move and Attack with one unit. Unless a Divine Pulse mechanic is put into place, this would only work when you have units left to move, like items in AA.

Also, perhaps a “zoom-out” feature when viewing the Heroes portraits so we can see the whole thing, like with Hardin or other huge Heroes! I play on a tiny screen so it’d be nice :3

I would love this, with the stipulation that it could only be used to reset that turn's player phase. Finger slips are something I run into a lot.

Undo.

On the battle forecast, indicate what the Special counts will be after combat ends.

Let us customize the bottom ribbon on the map screen. It's fucking ridiculous that the button to end your turn is now hidden until the button to change your units' starting positions disappears all because the screen might need space for the pair up button. You know, despite the fact that the bottom ribbon is totally capable of shrinking to accommodate the auto-battle button.

And I honestly don't need to be reminded what the weapon triangle is, like ever.

Also, could someone please clean up the Allies menu? I shouldn't have to back out 10 layers to change my selected team so that a different 4 units float to the top. I shouldn't have to back out 10 layers and then go back down 10 layers to go from merging units to learning skills. I shouldn't have to back out 20 layers and the go back down 20 layers to go from learning skills to equipping skills. There's no good reason why managing skill sets lets you change Sacred Seals on the same screen as other skills, but changing skills normally does not.

Automatically gray out non-matching units on the merge screen after one unit is selected. (It's almost comically difficult to tell some alts apart from each other at a quick glance.)

Let us set favorites on the skill filter screen in Skill Inheritance. It's a pain in the ass to scroll down past all of the staff Assist skills to find Reposition every single goddamn time I'm building a new unit.

Also let us filter by skill border color (beige, bronze, silver, gold, piss) so I don't need to see all of the level 1 and level 2 skills that I (usually) don't care about. Also filter by weapon tier (1-4).

There's zero reason Arena and Aether Raids seasons end 8 hours before the daily reset. It doesn't take 8 hours to calculate rewards.

Let us buy more barracks space.

Also let us continue summoning even if we run out of barracks space.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Let us buy more barracks space.

I need more too. I need about 4,000 to 5,000. Manuals help a lot, but I want to keep some natures as back up and not be turned into Manuals.

I think an undo button/Turnwheel would undermine the competitive modes pretty thoroughly. Most defensive teams are planning on the attacker to make common mistakes and not check for certain skills in time. But for stamina-less single player maps it would make plenty sense with the current ability to restart.

There aren't many things I can think of from fire emblem games that ought to be in Heroes. If anything, I think Three Houses could stand to take a few more ques from the mobile game. Like for instance not shuffling around units assigned as adjutants. In Heroes, that'd be like if all your pair up partners were randomly assigned each week and you had to manually fix them each time for Allegiance Battles.

Edited by Glennstavos

QoL changes i want:

- 3 Additional Sets for each unit that are categorized as Arena, Arena Assault and Aether Raids and get automaticly equiped once you enter those modes to battle
-  lower upgrade cost for garbage seals (boost skills, seal skills anyone?), like they really should cost only 10% of the normal upgrade cost.
- Equipping of skills and seals.... Why do i have to exit the whole stuff to equip a seal
- The ability to filter out blow tier 3 skills (with ecxept of skills that only have 1 tier like DC and CC)

Not QoL but something i would like to see:
- The ability to use units from your friendlist to clear heroic ordeals! I seriously cant be arsed to level up all units to 40 ._. especially the olde ones
- Abyssal Book 2 GHB
- Abyssal BHB
- Lowered Heroic grail cost for TT units, because we have so few copies of them (+10 them is really really really steep)
- Ability to turn in 3 5Star copies/manuals for 1 5 Star unit that is older then 6 months of your choosing from the regular summoning pool (Cant be a TT or GHB or Legendary/Mythic unit)
- More option for rewards when sending units home... Seriously Feathers... give us the option for Sacred Coins, Dew or Dargonflowers to pick from.
- Reduction of the Dragon Flower cost for Infantry units that can have 10 Dragonflower boosts... Gen 1 units are allready so far behind in BST

29 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I think an undo button/Turnwheel would undermine the competitive modes pretty thoroughly. Most defensive teams are planning on the attacker to make common mistakes and not check for certain skills in time. But for stamina-less single player maps it would make plenty sense with the current ability to restart.

I don't think it would. Most mistakes of the sort you mention are realized after seeing the enemy units move, so locking the ability to undo previous moves once you've ended your turn should be sufficient to prevent abuse.

Even restricting undo to just the latest move would be fine since you tend to realise instantly when you've made an input error.

At the moment I'm so terrified of accidentally ending my unit's turn via double tap, but also sometimes need to do it (to activate LAzura buffs mostly), so I have to resort to opening the settings menu, changing the option, double tapping once, then going back to the settings menu to disable the option again. It's horrible.

As for other things:

- The ability to equip abilities directly from a unit's info (Skill List) screen. No need to have a separate menu for it, just let me tap skills to enable/disable them when I'm viewing that unit at anytime outside of an actual battle. Put a Seal List button next to the Skill List button to allow for easier Seal swaps too.

- Some tweaks to make starting maps (especially when intending to immediately auto-battle) faster, like an option to disable the "Player Phase" and "Enemy Phase" text between turns, and to disable/accelerate the start-of-turn animations. The delay for things like Renewal really tests my patience. I want to be able to hit my controls as soon as the map loads, not wait for some pointless text to scroll past, for the units to do a little flourish of their weapon as buffs are applied, and then for any healing effects to apply. Annoyingly it repeats the entire process every time you exit Swap Spaces mode too. Also unnecessary is the title screen before each map (yes, I know I tapped Lunatic GHB a second ago, you don't need to remind me) and the reminder of the victory condition.

- Make team selection a 2D array, i.e. in addition to the left/right arrows, also add up/down (or indeed just down if the selections in that direction are relatively few, like five). I want more teams, but acknowledge that scrolling through 15 teams is already pretty tedious. Yes I know there's the alternate selection method that presents the teams as a vertical list, but again, it gets unwieldy fast. I want something like Team 1A, 1B, 1C, etc, to switch between my common "ambassador" units for instance, depending on who's suitable to be sent to my VG allies, and 4A, 4B, 4C etc for my various horse teams.

- Permanent skip dialog toggle for GHBs/BHBs before you enter the map, like there is for story maps.

- Hide Seal function to get rid of seals you never use. People would complain if they were lost forever due to a mistake or something, but let us at least remove all the Squad Ace seals from the selection menu.

- Make the daily Aether Resort points thing into a login bonus so I don't need to enter that otherwise pointless screen every day.

- Preview next week's seasons at any time.

Edited by Humanoid

3 hours ago, Humanoid said:

The delay for things like Renewal really tests my patience.

You can tap the screen to cancel the animation. I basically just tap spam the screen from the start of enemy phase up until I regain control for the next player phase when I'm in a hurry.

I feel like a broken record player saying this again but a skill shop needs to be implemented into the game.

We've had it in mainline FE for a while now (Fates, Three Houses, and I think Awakening had it too) and yet Heroes just refuses to put any sort skill shop into the game. It's honestly my most wanted QoL update and it could be easily implemented with the hero manuals.

3 hours ago, Humanoid said:

The delay for things like Renewal really tests my patience.

23 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

You can tap the screen to cancel the animation. I basically just tap spam the screen from the start of enemy phase up until I regain control for the next player phase when I'm in a hurry.

Uh there's already an option for that in the game. It's called "disable animations on the map" or something like that. Basically disables animations like Fury, Renewal, AoE specials, debuffs, buffs, etc. It's been there for quite some time.

13 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Uh there's already an option for that in the game. It's called "disable animations on the map" or something like that. Basically disables animations like Fury, Renewal, AoE specials, debuffs, buffs, etc. It's been there for quite some time.

Huh, so there is. It's just buried near the bottom nowhere near any of the other animation settings.

I just tried it and I don't like the behavior at all. Zero audio-visual feedback feels terrible to me. I'd rather tap through the animation.

11 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Huh, just testing now and it's an interesting behaviour that they do the weapon flourish at the start of every turn but you can actually perform inputs before it finishes. That works for me then.

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

Huh, so there is. It's just buried near the bottom nowhere near any of the other animation settings.

I just tried it and I don't like the behavior at all. Zero audio-visual feedback feels terrible to me. I'd rather tap through the animation.

Oh yeah it's a bit discombobulating but I really like how much faster battling is with it on. I mean sometimes I still get confused and a unit will get panicked or debuffed or something and I'll be like "when did that happen? who did that?" but for the most part it's not an issue and it's mostly my fault for not checking enemies anyway.