Has Dedue raised the bar for the “overly loyal retainer” trope?

Semi-serious question I’ve been discussing with friends.

He

throws his life away

and puts an exclamation point on it in Crimson Flower by

stealing crest stones from the Kingdom vaults so he and others can undergo an irreversible demonic beast transformation.

He also openly says in his convo with Felix that he would

take part in a massacre of children

if Dimitri asked him to.

Obviously Frederick and Jakob, etc. have taken that role in previous installments, but I don’t think even they or anyone else in the series history would’ve (or have) ever gone that far. What’s your take?

Edited by Escape the Fate

2 minutes ago, Escape the Fate said:

Semi-serious question I’ve been discussing with friends.

He

Hide contents

throws his life away

and puts an exclamation point on it in Crimson Flower by

Hide contents

steals crest stones from the Kingdom vaults so he and others can undergo an irreversible demonic beast transformation

. He also openly says in his convo with Felix that he would

Hide contents

take part in a massacre of children

if Dimitri asked him to.

Obviously Frederick and Jakob, etc. have taken that role in previous installments, but I don’t think even they would’ve ever gone that far. What’s your take?

In terms of character, he's the same as all the loyal retainers before him. However, he differs from them in that Dimitri is not a heroic Marth character; thus I would consider him more of a Camus than a loyal retainer. If Corrin ordered Jakob to do anything which Dedue did, I have no doubt he would. 

For me, I would say Dedue is tied with Finn in most loyal to their lords in different ways. Dedue for willing to go down Dimitri's path of bloodshed without hesitation. Finn for raising Leif and Nanna under persecution for years. Starving and unemotional after all the hardships he was faced with. Varies in the loyalty of acting under vs in honor of.

Would definitely say that Fredrick probably wouldn't obey a blatantly immoral command from Chrom since there are moments in the story where he essentially protects Chrom from himself, such as the end of chapter 9 and chapter 10 where he insists on Chrom fleeing for his life to fight another day rather than throwing it away pointlessly trying to take revenge for Emmeryn's death in a battle he had no chance of wining.

I would say he's comparable to Finn and Jakob in terms of sheer loyalty. However, there are things Finn would never do that Dedue would absolutely do for Dimitri. Jakob also would not mind doing horrible things if Corrin ordered him to do it. 

Both Dedue and Hubert have their reasons, but of them, Dedue's is easier to process.  I think the master/retainer relationship is explored in more depth, but I don't think it changes much (if the Fates servants are any indication).

8 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Hubert is worse, he openly threatens to kill you for being Edelgard's new teacher.

Spoiler

Hubert is responsible for maintaining a continent-spanning conspiracy that will eventually cause a war, and if they play their hand too soon or are revealed by a false ally then both he and Edelgard will be executed by the church. Now Edelgard is fixated on this new teacher with no real history prior to showing up at Garreg Mach to the point that she essentially confesses her identity as the Flame Emperor.

The dude has EVERY REASON to be concerned and to see Byleth as a potential threat. Especially given that, in Silver Snow, he's proven right. Same deal with Seteth in Crimson Flower. Hubert chills out a ton after the time skip because by that point he knows full well that he can trust Byleth.

Hubert's more initially shady than Dedue, but the difference is that while Hubert's loyalty is at a similar strength he expresses it far better - he's not just Edelgard's loyal retainer, he's her most trusted adviser. When Hubert's asked the question of if he would do anything for Edelgard by Dorothea, his answer is a resounding no because he will make an exception for things that are not beneficial to her. Dedue's loyalty, on the other hand, blinds him to any rationality.

Edited by Arachnofiend

I feel like Hubert's is...not only worse, but downright disturbing at times. Granted, there's probably a lot more reason for it (or at least I'm hoping)

Duedue may be an extremely loyal retainer, but he doesn't have the same guiding factor as the retainers before him. Hubert is... edgy. And sullen. And strange, to say the least. I don't like Hubert very much. To me, the eptiome of a retainer was Seth. Not only because he was a busted unit, but also because he was Seth. It's kind of hard to explain. 

Hubert will go against Edelgard's orders if he believes her are orders are hurting her cause. The problem is that this usually takes the form of killing people Edelgard wanted to spare, threatening/bribing people when Edelgard didn't want him to, and then hiding the truth of what he did to her. In that respect he's actually extremely similar to Iago from Fates. They're also similar in that they're loyal to a human liege rather than being self-serving or devoted to some evil dragon/god like most dark mage villains are. They both also share a (completely justified) suspicion towards the avatar, that isn't shared by their liege. I wouldn't be surprised if Hubert was explicitly based on Iago but with the stupid parts removed.

Edited by Druplesnubb