What franchise soundtracks would you love to Smash to?

Here's a fun wishlist topic. New characters bring new soundtracks, and that's often one of the less appreciated aspects of the fighter pass.

So, completely independent of character choice, what franchises would you love to make it in for music alone?

NieR Automata is my first choice. That game's entire soundtrack is gorgeous. 

(Also, I'd like to say that Persona making it in was a dream come true for me, because that soundtrack was worth the price of admission on its own).

Edited by Etheus

More of the Persona soundtrack. I'd personal love to see Chrono in smash because Chrono Trigger has one of the best video game soundtracks of all time IMO. Unfortunately people will get mad (though to be fair they will get mad if any character other than the one they wanted is introduced) with more Square reps being introduced which also rules out Kingdom Hearts.

6 minutes ago, Edegard1902 said:

More of the Persona soundtrack. I'd personal love to see Chrono in smash because Chrono Trigger has one of the best video game soundtracks of all time IMO. Unfortunately people will get mad (though to be fair they will get mad if any character other than the one they wanted is introduced) with more Square reps being introduced which also rules out Kingdom Hearts.

More of the square train after my NieR comment, I see. 😀

To continue the Square train, literally any one of the protags from Octopath. What a lovely soundtrack it has. If I were to pick just one though, I'd want it to be mah boi, Cyrus. Or Alfyn, because axes and potions would be super unique.

Edited by Etheus

yeah i'd say mostly SE franchises, such as NieR:Automata, Bravely Default/Second and Kingdom Hearts, but i'd love to see Inazuma Eleven too

3 minutes ago, Etheus said:

More of the square train after my NieR comment, I see. 😀

To continue the Square train, literally any one of the protags from Octopath. What a lovely soundtrack it has. If I were to pick just one though, I'd want it to be mah boi, Cyrus. Or Alfyn, because axes and potions would be super unique.

Not played NieR yet but i'd be happy to see one of the characters in as they look cool (and because I plan on playing it soon anyway). I'm mainly a Nintendo/Square fan so at this point i'd want to see more square characters and my most wanted nintendo characters are already spirits or just unlikely to happen. Would want to see Fei from Xenogears (another square character but in the Xeno franchise in which Blade is Nintendo exclusive so it's possible), Crash or Rayman too.

Guilty Gear or Blazblue for sure, Daisuke Ishiwatari has created some of the absolute best music in the fighting game genre to date. Plenty of headbangers in both series that would rock so hard in Smash Bros.

And on the subject of hard rock/heavy metal soundtracks, Devil May Cry's legacy of songs with smoking sick style cannot be understated either. Though they would be forced to tone down the lyrics to fit the Smash Bros. E10+ rating since most of the songs are pretty on the nose about the whole killing demons angle, but it's still great stuff either way.

7 minutes ago, TheGoodHoms said:

Guilty Gear or Blazblue for sure, Daisuke Ishiwatari has created some of the absolute best music in the fighting game genre to date. Plenty of headbangers in both series that would rock so hard in Smash Bros.

And on the subject of hard rock/heavy metal soundtracks, Devil May Cry's legacy of songs with smoking sick style cannot be understated either. Though they would be forced to tone down the lyrics to fit the Smash Bros. E10+ rating since most of the songs are pretty on the nose about the whole killing demons angle, but it's still great stuff either way.

Oh God, yes, on all accounts.

I would like Jin or Ragna (moreso Jin) from Blazblue, and Dante is still my number one most wanted character.

Edited by Etheus

1 minute ago, Etheus said:

Oh God, yes, on all accounts.

I would like Jin or Ragna (moreso Jin) from Blazblue, and Dante is still my number one most wanted character.

Is Devil May Cry a good game? I've been interested in it for a while because of his appearance in SMT Nocturne.

8 minutes ago, Edegard1902 said:

Is Devil May Cry a good game? I've been interested in it for a while because of his appearance in SMT Nocturne.

I'll say that the quality of DMC is wildly inconsistent. If you like Bayonetta, you'll probably like DMC (I actually prefer DMC).

The first game is good, but hasn't aged all that well. It's a bit janky, but still recommended.

The second game is ignorable garbage, and is easily the worst in the series. Skip it. Even the franchise's story itself skips it.

The third game is one of the best and most challenging character action games of all time. Thoroughly recommended.

The fourth is a mixed bag. Like, an excellent short experience repeated a few times. Definitely get it, but be prepared for some heavy boss reuse.

The fifth game is an abject masterpiece of the genre.

The reboot (DmC) is contentious. It gets a lot of shit for blatant disrespect for Dante and the main series but frankly... if it had been its own IP, I think it would have gone over well. It's not a bad game. Certainly better than DMC2.

Edited by Etheus

8 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I'll say that the quality of DMC is wildly inconsistent. If you like Bayonetta, you'll probably like DMC (I actually prefer DMC).

The first game is good, but hasn't aged all that well. It's a bit janky, but still recommended.

The second game is ignorable garbage, and is easily the worst in the series. Skip it. Even the franchise's story itself skips it.

The third game is one of the best and most challenging character action games of all time. Thoroughly recommended.

The fourth is a mixed bag. Like, an excellent short experience repeated a few times. Definitely get it, but be prepared for some heavy boss reuse.

The fifth game is an abject masterpiece of the genre.

The reboot (DmC) is contentious. It gets a lot of shit for blatant disrespect for Dante and the main series but frankly... if it had been its own IP, I think it would have gone over well. It's not a bad game. Certainly better than DMC2.

I'll definitely get soon as it looks quite good. How dark is it? I actually dark stories with bits of comedy e.g. hilarious one liners etc. I've never actually played Bayonetta either is it worth playing if I like DMC?

Just now, Edegard1902 said:

I'll definitely get soon as it looks quite good. How dark is it? I actually dark stories with bits of comedy e.g. hilarious one liners etc. I've never actually played Bayonetta either is it worth playing if I like DMC?

I would ask a Bayonetta fan on that one. Bayonetta plays well. I'm just not a particular fan of the character or universe.

Personal recommendation. If you've never played a character action game before, start with NieR Automata. It's an incredible visual, music, and storytelling experience that requires multiple replays (each with a different character) to understand the full scope of its philosophical story. 

Devil May Cry is... a little dark, I guess. I mean, you're dealing with orphan brothers whose different ways of coping with their tragedy caused them to become bitter rivals. But beyond that, it's more goofy than anything. It is a series that does not at all take itself seriously, and I love it for that. It's like the modern day demon slaying equivalent of the cheesiest martial arts movies played to a heavy metal soundtrack.

Just now, Etheus said:

I would ask a Bayonetta fan on that one. Bayonetta plays well. I'm just not a particular fan of the character or universe.

Personal recommendation. If you've never played a character action game before, start with NieR Automata. It's an incredible visual, music, and storytelling experience that requires multiple replays (each with a different character) to understand the full scope of its philosophical story. 

Devil May Cry is... a little dark, I guess. I mean, you're dealing with orphan brothers whose different ways of coping with their tragedy caused them to become bitter rivals. But beyond that, it's more goofy than anything. It is a series that does not at all take itself seriously, and I love it for that. It's like the modern day demon slaying equivalent of the cheesiest martial arts movies played to a heavy metal soundtrack.

Is it like Hellsing Ultimate then? That was really dark but it became quite bizarre and never took itself seriously. Plus Alucard was hilarious.

7 minutes ago, Edegard1902 said:

Is it like Hellsing Ultimate then? That was really dark but it became quite bizarre and never took itself seriously. Plus Alucard was hilarious.

No. Not nearly as dark as Hellsing. Hellsing could be a little funny and bizarre, but leaned seriously heavy into the gore and fucked up imagery. 

I struggle to think of a good anime tonal equivalent for DMC (though it does have its own anime). Maybe it would be closer in tone to Resident Evil 1-4, just much less scary, much more action.

Edited by Etheus

2 minutes ago, Etheus said:

No. Not nearly as dark as Hellsing. Hellsing could be a little funny and bizarre, but leaned seriously heavy into the gore and fucked up imagery. 

I struggle to think of a good anime tonal equivalent for DMC (though it does have its own anime). Maybe it would be closer in tone to Resident Evil 1-4, just much less scary, much more action.

I'll definitely give it a go soon as I'm getting quite a bit of money this weekend and have been looking to get into a new franchise as i've nearly played every Fire Emblem game and as much as I loved FFVI, VII and X some of the other games aren't for me.

I think Resident Evil 5 has a fantastic soundtrack for Smash. But even as a longtime fan of the series, I have to object to a character inclusion into Smash unless it's Albert Wesker or maybe Nemesis. And I don't see those happening since there's this dumb, unwarranted focus on only having protagonists of the series when people think of guest characters. Resident Evil is definitely a franchise where the villains bring more to the table in a roster like Smash. But if the mess of choosing a character I could ignore, then we need this one and this one in the game. Then throw in a couple Mercenaries/Raid Mode tracks, Alexia's operatic theme, a bizarrely hype remix of various save room themes, and I'll be content.

9 minutes ago, Edegard1902 said:

4 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I would ask a Bayonetta fan on that one.

yeah, ask somebody with good taste. Bayonetta > DMC all day.

DMC has always been difficult to recommend, especially those with minimal experience or interest in action games. Most in the genre simply ask for the player to have good reflexes like God of War or Bayonetta, but DMC is one that values stylish play and secretive exploits over the basic concerns of dealing the most damage and avoiding hits. Even more problematic is each game having wildly different tone, and pacing. DMC 3 is the best "thesis statement" of the series' tone and also happens to be the earliest entry chronologically, but I also find it has the most bullshit first boss of any action game so I don't recommend anybody start there. DMC4 and 5 are better constructed games, but they also lean heavily on fan service to the original trilogy so a first time player will feel like they're missing out on the references.

16 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I think Resident Evil 5 has a fantastic soundtrack for Smash. But even as a longtime fan of the series, I have to object to a character inclusion into Smash unless it's Albert Wesker or maybe Nemesis. And I don't see those happening since there's this dumb, unwarranted focus on only having protagonists of the series when people think of guest characters. Resident Evil is definitely a franchise where the villains bring more to the table in a roster like Smash. But if the mess of choosing a character I could ignore, then we need this one and this one in the game. Then throw in a couple Mercenaries/Raid Mode tracks, Alexia's operatic theme, a bizarrely hype remix of various save room themes, and I'll be content.

yeah, ask somebody with good taste. Bayonetta > DMC all day.

DMC has always been difficult to recommend, especially those with minimal experience or interest in action games. Most in the genre simply ask for the player to have good reflexes like God of War or Bayonetta, but DMC is one that values stylish play and secretive exploits over the basic concerns of dealing the most damage and avoiding hits. Even more problematic is each game having wildly different tone, and pacing. DMC 3 is the best "thesis statement" of the series' tone and also happens to be the earliest entry chronologically, but I also find it has the most bullshit first boss of any action game so I don't recommend anybody start there. DMC4 and 5 are better constructed games, but they also lean heavily on fan service to the original trilogy so a first time player will feel like they're missing out on the references.

Wesker would be my pick, but if it had to be a protagonist, Leon all day. He perfectly represents RE's tone from the good old days.

Also, that was rude. 🖕

17 minutes ago, Edegard1902 said:

I'll definitely give it a go soon as I'm getting quite a bit of money this weekend and have been looking to get into a new franchise as i've nearly played every Fire Emblem game and as much as I loved FFVI, VII and X some of the other games aren't for me.

Just do yourself a favor and don't pick up DMC on Switch. You can get them for far cheaper and in collections on other platforms. Capcom really ripped off Nintendo fans, and they are frankly not worth the asking price on Switch. 

Edited by Etheus

5 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Wesker would be my pick, but if it had to be a protagonist, Leon all day. He perfectly represents RE's tone from the good old days.

Also, that was rude. 🖕

Just do yourself a favor and don't pick up DMC on Switch. You can get them for far cheaper and in collections on other platforms. Capcom really ripped off Nintendo fans, and they are frankly not worth the asking price on Switch. 

I can get DMC 1-5 and remastered for about 50 pounds on PS4 so I'll get it on there.

Unfortunately for me, I have to wait until Christmas to actually play Astral Chain, but from what I've heard of the soundtrack (which is tiding me over until then) I'd really love to have some of those songs in Smash.

The other one I can think of which hasn't been said yet is Dragalia Lost. Some of the raid boss music would be so much fun to Smash to.

I'll be honest, i completely misinterpereted what the title meant. 

ANYWAY, i think the grander Xeno games should have some songs in. While the Blade games definitly have the best OST out of the Xeno series, there are some good songs in Xenogears and Xenosaga that should be in Smash. On that note, where the fuck is the Xenoblade X music?

The Trails series also has some really good songs. While i doubt we'd get a character from that series, Trails music definitly needs to be listened to by more people.

On the indie side of things, the vocal songs of the Azure Striker Gunvolt series are bangers. Put them in Smash too.

And to represent a more recent game, Astral Chain's OST is a contender for best video game OST of the year. Definitly put some of that game's amazing music in Smash.

There are other franchises that i'd like represented but we'd be here all day. Maybe i'll mention them in a later post. But for now, let's keep it at this.

7 hours ago, Edegard1902 said:

Would want to see Fei from Xenogears (another square character but in the Xeno franchise in which Blade is Nintendo exclusive so it's possible)

Xeno IP is tricky because Xeno technically doesn't exist. Yeah people acknolwedge it (even the creator himself) but from an IP standpoint, Xenogears, Xenosaga and Xenoblade are all seperate IPs.

• Square Enix is stubborn as fuck with Xenogears, despite barely acknlowedging it's existence
  • Xenosaga belongs to Namco but it's still technically a Monolith Soft series and Namco-Nintendo-Monolith relations are very good.
  • Xenoblade, well, you already know.