Recruitment Tier List

Shiki

Raphael's bulk is overrated. It's not significantly higher than many other students, and is not a particularly exciting reason to recruit him in my opinion.

Rally Strength is more important, but for this purpose he is worse than Annette.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Lunarly said:

Think if I did a recruitment tier list (with items/paralogues factored in, not ordered) mine would be like...

S - Catherine, Lysithea, Lorenz, Sylvain

A - Felix, Petra, Ingrid, Hilda (BL), Shamir

B - Leonie, Ashe (SS/CF), Linhardt, Annette, Mercedes, Ignatz (SS/CF)

C - Marianne, Hanneman, Manuela, Ignatz (BL), Raphael (SS/CF)

D - Dorothea, Bernadetta, Alois, Cyril (BL/GD), Ashe (GD), Ferdinand, Catherine (SS), Hilda (SS), Caspar

E - Raphael (BL), Cyril (SS)

If performance is the only thing we're looking at then everything pretty stays the same except Ashe and Lorenz would fall to D.

I feel the Physic-users are underrated here. Especially on BL and GD who only have one natural Physic user each unless you switch someone from physicals to magic (not a terrible idea in Sylvain's case, but you are giving up a great wyvern). Having a second / third Physic user is extremely valuable since they can heal from anywhere and essentially transfer turns to your best combat unit, saving them from using a Concoction or whatever. Everyone takes significant damage on Maddening so healing is really useful, and not having it stuck to 4 move + 1 range is invaluable. They're fine units offensively as well, particularly Dorothea and Marianne who have Thoron and extra-particularly Dorothea who gets Meteor which boosts the hit of your entire team. They're some of the most desirable recruits to just slide into the army. What's Dorothea doing below Hanneman, for whom Meteor is pretty much his only good point?

Mercedes additionally unlocks the Rafail Gem on non-CF routes, as mentioned an amazing accessory (along with Caspar who should get higher), and gets Fortify and has a great personal. Top-tier recruit IMO, unless we want to say Lorenz gets a tier of his own (which I'd be fine with!).

Catherine should be lower on BL since you already have Ashe and thus the Boots Paralogue. Her combat is decent but not top-tier IMO, since swords/brawling are lame focuses.

Lysithea is definitely lower unless you really value Warp. And on CF/SS she doesn't even get Warp that much faster than Linhardt.

On 10/11/2019 at 2:39 PM, Silly said:

If you mostly keep students motivated through food for the first half of the pre-timeskip, you end up building up a lot of free stuff that you can give them to keep students happy.

You have flowers every week (which you should basically exclusively be planting), you have buyable gifts (you can at the very least buy the cheap ones), you have lost items, and you have gifts that you get for completing quests. Also a few other random mechanics that incidentally boost motivation.

Later on post-timeskip, you can go back to eating if you really want to (say you ran out of gifts to sustain keeping everyone happy). By this point Byleth should have more than enough activity points, and nothing important to spend faculty training on, so you have a ton of free time to do whatever you want.

Oh yeah, post timeskip is completely irrelevant here.
I don't know, I guess I really need to just try it myself, my perception of how much flowers you end up with might be wrong. It's not that I don't believe you but I can't help but feel like this is a path, as opposed to the path, you know. Time will tell, ultimately.

15 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Everyone takes significant damage on Maddening so healing is really useful, and not having it stuck to 4 move + 1 range is invaluable.

Hm...
... I don't think taking damage period is optimal on Maddening. Outside of EP of course, but on PP... You have so many tools to kill or deal damage safely, between gauntlets, brave combat arts, magic combat arts, gambits... and then of course there's Hunter's volley and brave weapons, post timeskip.
Basically I don't think in a majority of cases you'll end up in situations where a unit being hurt means they cannot fight, or even kill for that turn. At least I basically never ran in that situation, and I only run one healer at all times. It's not to gloat, but considering I don't use stat boosters at all, I can only assume that I'm making the game harder on myself to an extent, too.

Even disregarding that, deploying an unit that heals others so they can not die, as opposed to one that can at the very least soften so they can kill instead... Of course I'm simplifying, but eh.

Edited by Cysx

On maps which are actually tough I definitely find myself taking damage. Some of that's Enemy Phase, some of that is from counters (the strategies you say reduce them considerably and are good, but they're hard to avoid entirely; in particular brave effects are rare in the first half of the game and some enemies are bulky enough to survive them especially from units with less exceptional str). The difference between Maddening and Hard is a that on Hard a few chippy things getting through isn't a big deal; on Maddening it's not uncommon to be 2HKOed so you'll need patching up. Obviously some maps are easier and I take hardly any damage, but I feel my team comp doesn't really matter for those!

Since the good healers tend to have solid combat as well, it's not like you're giving up much to use one. You pretty much want at least two mages to hold Thyrsus and Caduceus, might as well choose ones who are good at healing (and/or provide Meteor support).

3 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

On maps which are actually tough I definitely find myself taking damage. Some of that's Enemy Phase, some of that is from counters (the strategies you say reduce them considerably and are good, but they're hard to avoid entirely; in particular brave effects are rare in the first half of the game and some enemies are bulky enough to survive them especially from units with less exceptional str). The difference between Maddening and Hard is a that on Hard a few chippy things getting through isn't a big deal; on Maddening it's not uncommon to be 2HKOed so you'll need patching up. Obviously some maps are easier and I take hardly any damage, but I feel my team comp doesn't really matter for those!

Since the good healers tend to have solid combat as well, it's not like you're giving up much to use one. You pretty much want at least two mages to hold Thyrsus and Caduceus, might as well choose ones who are good at healing (and/or provide Meteor support).

I will say that Physic is very useful from the moment you get it to ~2/3rds of part 1, precisely because it is indeed difficult to avoid damage for a bigger part of the cast. Then you start getting more tools to avoid counters, then you stop doubling so it becomes a worst choice. Ultimately it gets to a point where many units aren't really safer at max health than when injured, too.
I feel like I'm unwillingly making an argument against healing in general though, which is not exactly the point. As I said, units will get hurt on enemy phase and will preferably require healing not to die, on the next enemy phase. But from there it is just turning into Fortify vs Physic again, and I mean... what can I even add really?

To be honest I find it rare for healers to be in a position where they can provide anything beyond chip, and chip past the earlygame does not qualify as solid combat to me. Granted, even for pure mages it gets tough to OHKO after a while.

I don't plan on playing Maddening anytime soon, but something I'd like to point out is Ignatz is one of few units able to immediately promote into an advanced class (Assassin) if you recruit him on the last month of part 1. Given that EXP gain is severely cut in maddening, this might be a useful consideration when ranking him.

Ignatz doesn't have the best growths though, and archer has bad enemy class growths so that doesn't really help him.

For example, compare Ignatz's Ch 12 recruit stats with Hilda's or Leonie's stats.

image.png.36c4b4ff8c2c5a25489f20f4d31c1bf3.png

Also, reclassing into Assassin might be temporarily nice but he has a really hard time reclassing into a better class for later. This means he's stuck as an Assassin for a long time, which is an okay class but isn't spectacular. So you just end up with a statistically mediocre unit stuck in a mediocre class.

On the other hand, any student who naturally trains axes (such as Hilda) can spend 2 chapters training flying rank and then reclass into Wyvern Rider, which is an incredibly good class, so you end up with a unit that has both better stats and is in a better class. If you recruit Hilda at the start of Ch 10, for example, you can spend the rest of the chapter and then the next month training flying, and have Wyvern Rider Hilda ready for the Ch 11 mission at the end of the month.

Edited by Silly

2 hours ago, Silly said:

Ignatz doesn't have the best growths though, and archer has bad enemy class growths so that doesn't really help him.

For example, compare Ignatz's Ch 12 recruit stats with Hilda's or Leonie's stats.

image.png.36c4b4ff8c2c5a25489f20f4d31c1bf3.png

Also, reclassing into Assassin might be temporarily nice but he has a really hard time reclassing into a better class for later. This means he's stuck as an Assassin for a long time, which is an okay class but isn't spectacular. So you just end up with a statistically mediocre unit stuck in a mediocre class.

On the other hand, any student who naturally trains axes (such as Hilda) can spend 2 chapters training flying rank and then reclass into Wyvern Rider, which is an incredibly good class, so you end up with a unit that has both better stats and is in a better class. If you recruit Hilda at the start of Ch 10, for example, you can spend the rest of the chapter and then the next month training flying, and have Wyvern Rider Hilda ready for the Ch 11 mission at the end of the month.

Wait, recruited units bases are based on their growths? I was always under the assumption that their base stats were predetermined and not based on any random variables. I guess my Ignatz was just super stat blessed because he had around 23 strength when I recruited him on my first playthrough. In that case, this strategy seems feasible only on Hard  since those bases seem way to low to be salvagable on Maddening.

Edited by FoxyGrandpa

Making a recruitment tierlist is very hard, pretty much impossible for me. Mediocre units gameplaywise like Lorenz are technically best just because of their paralogue. And for Lys becoming the very best recruitment, it requires Lorenz's recruitment. If I exclude the free recruitments, it is worth to recruit all the healers and mages since magic is great in this game. I also consider Annette as one of the best recruitments because she is a magic user and has the best rally in the game, and rallies are extremly important in maddening. Petra is pretty much the only physical unit I find it worth to recruit because she is extremly fast, one of very few units who can constantly double in maddening. 

10 hours ago, FoxyGrandpa said:

Wait, recruited units bases are based on their growths? I was always under the assumption that their base stats were predetermined and not based on any random variables. I guess my Ignatz was just super stat blessed because he had around 23 strength when I recruited him on my first playthrough. In that case, this strategy seems feasible only on Hard  since those bases seem way to low to be salvagable on Maddening.

Recruited units have fixed stat gains, but those stat gains are based on their personal + class growths.

When it comes to recruitment, this goes through my head:

Lysithea(Lorenz) > Petra > Catherine > Ingrid > Mercedes > Sylvain > Marianne > Felix > Hilda > everyone else

It's that simple.

On 10/10/2019 at 4:43 PM, LegendOfLoog said:

Considering the number of maps that have some form of movement-reducing terrain for Cavaliers, you’re massively over exaggerating how much a Brigand will fall behind in comparison. More Lance WEXP is a drop in the bucket in comparison to +6 per attack permanently, so not sure why it’s relevant here. Since this list specifies this is efficient play and not LTC, I fail to see why this relatively minor detail at the easiest point in the game would matter at all. 

Just saying but movement-reducing terrain doesn't negate a +2 Mov advantage. The maps where terrain is delibitating for them are far in-between. In contrast most maps in 3H are pretty open and vast where a Cavalier is absolutely going to be ahead.
That WEXP gain is not that low. By the time you have Intermediate classes you can very much expect your units to be in multiple battles and these points adds up, especially with classes giving additional skill Exp. Compared to LTC you will get a lot more out of combat which in turn enables faster weapon ranks.

On 10/10/2019 at 4:43 PM, LegendOfLoog said:

These two statements conflict. If items are not a part of their evaluation, you should never take into account Thrysus’s extra range for any unit. Therefore, there is no reason to rank Lys assuming that she has it. 

I'm not sure how this is conflicting. I assume that all these resources are readily available for every unit. So I rate every magical unit's (not only Lysithea's) performance with Thyrsus in mind.
I just don't let the acquirement of these items flow into a unit's placement because it doesn't tell you how good a unit is. This is something that is generally assumed on tier lists. e.g. in FE6 Sophia getting a Guiding Ring for free doesn't flow into her unit assessment.

On 10/10/2019 at 8:50 PM, Lunarly said:

Here's the thing, it's not efficient to recruit every single student, since this tier list follows Maddening mode (which means focusing on just a smaller amount of units and recruiting everyone means a lot of units will be neglected) and assumes efficiency. Also there's a contradictory point, you mention that why would you waste limited support resources early game, then you also mention that there's little reason to recruit everyone through supports?

Considering Maddening mode changes very little to the Monastery routine this doesn't mattter? Like it has nothing to do with the efficiency criteria.
Recruiting everyone doesn't require you to take extra turns or negatively impacts you in a significant way. To legimately recruit them you need to have certain skill ranks on Byleth but until the deadline you have so much AP to spend (if you optimized Professor rank which is a given) that you will have more than enough to cover Byleth's needs for Wyvern Rider access while having plenty to spare to level other skills. B rank support only requires Gold which is abundant in 3H.
If only Paralogue access is relevant then you don't even have to recruit every student. Annette doesn't get hers on the other routes while some of the pre-war ones only require 1 student to unlock it (e.g. Ingrid-Dorothea).

PEMN but out of 5 Maddening runs (1 for each of BL, GD and SS, 1 GD "LTC", 1 CF in progress) I managed full recruitment while getting Byleth to Wyvern Rider (F!Byleth on SS went from PK to WR) with no difficulty at all.

On 10/10/2019 at 8:50 PM, Lunarly said:

Yes, there is no opportunity cost to recruit every single student but, most paralogues aren't worth doing and they count towards global turncount (efficiency tier lists also do take turncount into consideration fyi) so there is a big reason not to do certain paralogues (Sylvain, Lysithea/Ferdinand, Ignatz/Raphael paralogues come to mind as ones that don't offer enough to be worth going out of your way for).

No tier list worth its salt takes it for granted to skip optional chapters. It is generally assumed that you actually play them and, more importantly, clear them with the same efficienty/LTC criteria in mind.

I find it baffling that so many basic criteria are questioned. I would have assumed that SF had experience to make tier lists like these and aside from the unique criteria of 3H recruitment all of this is pretty standard stuff, almost carbon copies from tier lists of older games.

On 10/11/2019 at 6:40 AM, XeKr said:

I don’t have too many thoughts on the list in general at this time, except that there are still pretty significant differences per route, for example cross Lysithea isn’t as great in BL as Warp doesn’t improve efficiency that much in a route with DotG. Also her biggest advantage which is early warp is lessened, because c5 warp is probably not happening and Shamir can 1 turn c6. Other warpers are available later and the marginal utility of additional warps is less. And again DotG is a big deal in BL, and between stride, dance, and smite you don't actually need that much warp range (a number of strats are doable with just bishop base and some don't require warp at all) to efficiently clear chapters.

BE will also miss Ch.5 Warp so I was already taking it into account for this list. Only GD gets that delicious turn shave on Maddening.

DotG is first available post-timeskip though and that's about the time the other Warp users get access (a bit earlier I guess). Lysithea will have it Ch.6 onwards and is the sole user of it for the entire pre-war period and assorted paralogues. Plus while Flying+Stride can substitute Warp it doesn't necessarily make it worse.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the final BL map required Warp for the fastest clear. I don't think this changed with Maddening.

Though reviewing your comment I should differentiate some units, especially for the SS path.
Hilda's placement imo doesn't change that much on SS because she still scales very well and has no trouble becoming a Wyvern Rider. The only thing you lose is her availability for Part 1.
Catherine though takes a lot longer to even access an inferior flying class and as a PK her performance is middling until she can reclass into a Falcon Knight. Her stat lead is also lost so that makes SS Catherine a lot worse than on othe rroutes.
Cyril is pretty much unsalvageable. He auto-levels as a Commoner which completely neuters his stats. Auto-leveling Axe and Bow are still nice and he reaches C rank Flying quickly enough but his stats are so bad that I don't think he is worth it.

Is there anything else I would have to account for as significant route differences?

EDIT:

I also changed the tier list a bit.

Spoiler
  • I removed S-Tier and merged it with A. Adding a S-Tier was excessive in hindsight.
  • Leonie moved under Sylvain and Ferdinand. Wyvern Rider access and Swift Lances is better than the few advantages that Leonie has in the early parts of the game.
  • Linhardt A -> B: Xekr brought up a good point regarding Warp; post-time skip it can be replaced by Stride+Flying+Dance and compared to earlier chapters where your only fliers are going to be PKs you have much better quality now. Considering Linhardt will likely get it during that time his value diminishes and makes him closer in performance to the other Physic users.

Edited by Shiki

3 hours ago, Shiki said:

Just saying but movement-reducing terrain doesn't negate a +2 Mov advantage. The maps where terrain is delibitating for them are far in-between. In contrast most maps in 3H are pretty open and vast where a Cavalier is absolutely going to be ahead.
That WEXP gain is not that low. By the time you have Intermediate classes you can very much expect your units to be in multiple battles and these points adds up, especially with classes giving additional skill Exp. Compared to LTC you will get a lot more out of combat which in turn enables faster weapon ranks.

It doesn’t negate it, but iirc there are a fair amount of maps with adverse terrain for Cavs. Just looking at Level 10-20, Chapter 7 has stairs in the middle, brush to the left, and wastelands near the starting point. Chapter 8 has a large thicket in the middle and bottom left, and the right path is essentially impossible for them. Chapter 10 has stairs to the boss and brush scattered around the map. That’s basically half of the Story maps where you have Intermediate class units. Movement is obviously still good to have, but in the relevant part of the game for a Cavalier vs Brigand comparison, it’s not always guaranteed. Stride more or less gets the job done anyway for most units. 

Cavaliers get +2 extra for each round with a Lance equipped. That’s not bad, but I personally value +2 towards a good Ability in Death Blow over +2 toward a good Combat Art. But realistically, how many battles is a single unit going to have per map? Even assuming you get 10 each map, that’s +20 extra from your class. That’s not even a week’s worth of Goals XP. I’m not accounting for the higher number a Cav will have in comparison to a Brigand, but I think the idea is clear here. That’s really not that much when working towards an A rank. In comparison, actually guaranteeing ORKOs with Death Blow + Swift Strikes likely saves turns later on, so if that’s the concern, I don’t think there’s a huge difference between the two choices. 

3 hours ago, Shiki said:

I'm not sure how this is conflicting. I assume that all these resources are readily available for every unit. So I rate every magical unit's (not only Lysithea's) performance with Thyrsus in mind.
I just don't let the acquirement of these items flow into a unit's placement because it doesn't tell you how good a unit is. This is something that is generally assumed on tier lists. e.g. in FE6 Sophia getting a Guiding Ring for free doesn't flow into her unit assessment.

I just don’t think equipping a non-personal item tells you how good a unit is either. I wouldn’t say that Sylvain gets points since he can use Luin; everyone else can do that too. In the case of Thrysus, any mage can get +2 range from it. That’s not their actual performance though in a normal playthrough. It’s not relevant to the unique qualities of that unit. I agree that acquisition shouldn’t be considered though. 

Edited by LegendOfLoog

4 hours ago, Shiki said:

Considering Maddening mode changes very little to the Monastery routine this doesn't mattter? Like it has nothing to do with the efficiency criteria.
Recruiting everyone doesn't require you to take extra turns or negatively impacts you in a significant way. To legimately recruit them you need to have certain skill ranks on Byleth but until the deadline you have so much AP to spend (if you optimized Professor rank which is a given) that you will have more than enough to cover Byleth's needs for Wyvern Rider access while having plenty to spare to level other skills. B rank support only requires Gold which is abundant in 3H.
If only Paralogue access is relevant then you don't even have to recruit every student. Annette doesn't get hers on the other routes while some of the pre-war ones only require 1 student to unlock it (e.g. Ingrid-Dorothea).

PEMN but out of 5 Maddening runs (1 for each of BL, GD and SS, 1 GD "LTC", 1 CF in progress) I managed full recruitment while getting Byleth to Wyvern Rider (F!Byleth on SS went from PK to WR) with no difficulty at all.

Lol once again, I never said it was difficult to do a full-recruit. Like no kidding, monastery is pretty much the same (bar Byleth's seminar points are reduced a bit). I pretty much explicitly state that I do not find full recruits efficient, they are just flex points or for people who don't wanna take out other house students. Like if you think doing a full-recruit is efficient then that's your cup of tea and this is your tier list lol. Once again, MY opinion is that recruiting every single is possible and not hard but it's not efficient. Efficiency means maximizing productivity while trying to tone down waste effort, recruiting every single student is not efficient in this case because you aren't even going to use every single student which means wasted effort. Don't see how paralogue access is irrelevant when you're missing the fact that certain students are only recruited just for their paralogue, and not necessarily their performance.

Cool, you did a full recruitment with Wyvern Rider Byleth but, why even bother stopping at WL requirements when you can go further? Ferdinand is a good unit but, there's literally other units that can do similar things without needing to waste AP on. Like why waste more money on cheap gifts when you can save money for better forges later on like?

4 hours ago, Shiki said:

No tier list worth its salt takes it for granted to skip optional chapters. It is generally assumed that you actually play them and, more importantly, clear them with the same efficienty/LTC criteria in mind.

I find it baffling that so many basic criteria are questioned. I would have assumed that SF had experience to make tier lists like these and aside from the unique criteria of 3H recruitment all of this is pretty standard stuff, almost carbon copies from tier lists of older games.

Do you reaaally think that people who do LTC/Efficiency w/e runs purposely play optional chapters if there is a lame/no reward at the end? Like I would do my best to avoid Night of Farewells or the Gaidens in FE11 personally but, I mean if you do believe everyone who wants to do an LTC/Efficiency run should play every single chapter (including optional ones) then that's your calling.

Also,  if you're gonna be defensive when someone challenges your criteria/opinions, then maybe this shouldn't be your project? IJS. Like I'm not saying you shouldn't defend your criteria and what you believe makes a great tier list, but you can't just get butthurt when someone challenges your tier list criterion lol. Also that quote wasn't even meant to challenge your criteria, I just said that most efficiency runs take turncount into consideration and that some units don't have paralogues that are worth doing.

Edited by Lunarly

Fro what I've seen, most LTC runs either do no optional maps or all optional maps. It depends on what the runner wants to do personally, but those two criteria seem to be the most common.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, speaking about recruitment in LTC.

First of all, Sylvain should be considered a trivial recruit because it's pretty standard to go female Byleth in a LTC setting.

Secondly, If you optimize professor level a little Byleth actually gains weapon ranks at a much faster rate than students do, so you can hit many of the requirements to naturally recruit students. Right now the common LTC strategy has Wyvern Rider Byleth actively leveling Lance, Axe, Bow, Authority, Armor, and Flying. These are weapon ranks you already need to actively put points into to pull off certain LTC strategies, so the opportunity cost for recruiting students that need these ranks is effectively zero.

Given that this is the case, the students that you need to actually put some small amount of effort to recruit in LTC are as follows (roughly ordered from easiest to hardest to recruit). Note that about a third of them come for free depending on your starting house, so you really only need to put in effort to recruit 6 students at most.

• Felix (guaranteed recruitment with B support)
  • Linhardt (requires B support and RNG recruitment, can guarantee recruitment with B support and D Reason)
  • Lorenz (requires B support and RNG recruitment, can guarantee recruitment with B support and D Reason)
  • Petra (requires B support and RNG recruitment, can guarantee recruitment with B support and D Riding)
  • Marianne (requires B support and RNG recruitment, can guarantee recruitment with B support and D Riding)
  • Annette (requires B support and RNG recruitment, can guarantee recruitment with B support and D+ Faith)
  • Lysithea (requires B support and RNG recruitment, can guarantee recruitment with B support and D+ Faith)
  • Caspar (cannot B support, requires D+ Brawl and C+ support)

If a student isn't on the above list, then they literally require zero effort to recruit them in a "typical" LTC run.

Concerning the above six recruits, recruiting only six students isn't super difficult via gifts, since you get a looooot of them for free via gardening (it's optimal to basically only plant flowers), quests, lost item pickups, and maybe buying the cheap gifts. There is a bit of RNG involved, but since most of these students don't really care about recruitment time you can just pump them up to B when you have the resources to and just wait for them to come to you. Also if you can skimp a little on some of the previous weapon ranks (say you only need C lance instead of B lance) then you can level Reason/Riding instead to get more guaranteed recruits. Technically their recruitment does have an opportunity cost, if you really want to take that into account, but that opportunity cost is low enough that it's very possible to pay without impacting your turn counts at all.

Edited by Silly

Do the student max out their weapon ranks at a certain rank?

As in regardless of the chapter, where they level up and gain stats based on their enemy growth + personal growth, does their weapon ranks constantly level up until a certain point such as C/C+?

1 hour ago, Johnzin said:

Do the student max out their weapon ranks at a certain rank?

As in regardless of the chapter, where they level up and gain stats based on their enemy growth + personal growth, does their weapon ranks constantly level up until a certain point such as C/C+?

Nonrecruited units gain 64/56/48 weapon exp (Normal/Hard/Maddening) each month in each of their two default weapon ranks. If their weapon rank is lower than the requirement for their class when you recruit them, it will get bumped up to the class minimum when you recruit them.

Edited by Silly

If you're running Female Byleth, which chapter do you usually recruit Sylvain? There was a post a while ago detailing enemy growth rates but I can't find it, do you wait for his promotion or just get him chapter 2 for the early stats? 

Edit: found it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/d0w2hr/an_analysis_on_the_monastery_autolevelling/ characters promote on chapter 6, so it would be either lvl 2 for the early skill/class mastery training or 6 for the promotion and extra stats (this is also right before his Paralogue if I am not mistaken)

Edited by rocanaan