How do you feel the RNG should be handled?

How do you feel the RNG should be handled?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of RNG is the best?

• Single-RNG
    • Double-RNG
    • Other (please specify)

Knowing how the random number generator (RNG) for determining an attack hit/miss works often has a significant effect on the player's tactics.  Accuracy and dodging are more reliable in games with double-RNG, but at the expense of user-friendliness of the UI; the game itself deceiving you about what your hit rates actually are means you'll likely have to refer to or memorize a table of actual double-RNG hit rates to know the truth about them, which can be inconvenient.

Personally as a developer I'm strongly opposed to any sort of misinformation about mechanics, so I prefer single-RNG as somebody who values being honest to my player base.  But I suppose this is more a matter of personal values than anything else.  What do you guys think?

I think you should probably add mixed Fates style RNG to the poll. If I remember correctly they used this RNG style in both Fates and Gaiden, where below 50 it is basic single RN, while above 50 it is a modified RN (kind like double RN but with a less extreme impact on the numbers).

1 minute ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I think you should probably add mixed Fates style RNG to the poll. If I remember correctly they used this RNG style in both Fates and Gaiden, where below 50 it is basic single RN, while above 50 it is a modified RN (kind like double RN but with a less extreme impact on the numbers).

I'm aware of Fates RNG but thought it would fit better under Other since it really only appears in one game compared to single and double-RNG.

1 hour ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Personally as a developer I'm strongly opposed to any sort of misinformation about mechanics, so I prefer single-RNG as somebody who values being honest to my player base.  But I suppose this is more a matter of personal values than anything else.  What do you guys think?

The thing about this is that most people are really bad at interpreting probability information. 2-RN skews towards human misapprehensions, so actually makes it easier for the player to make informed decisions based on the numbers they see. Sometimes the truth is less helpful than a useful lie.

That said, I don't care one way or another. I'm not the sort to get mad about a 99% missing, so I'm quite happy with 1-RN.

I prefer 2rn as it means that ~70~ hit is a little more than 70 hit, it makes me less paranoid and makes me play less turtely, single rn makes 70 hit so much less reliable and as such I play a lot slower almost never going for anything below 75 hit, when a group of enemies have 16 hit in 2rn they almost never hit in single rn, at least one of them will. 2rn reassures the player

There is really no point in having the game lie to you, i'd prefer to see the real numbers instead of having it be a little lower or a little higher to the point where it doesn't even matter.

I’ve always personally thought Fates/Echoes Hybrid 2-RN system above 50 hit was a very good compromise for balancing low hit rates on enemies stopping you from becoming dodgtanking gods (unless you’re Ryoma) but still giving the player a bit more of a nudge for keeping units alive in a game with Perma death that relies on countless rounds of combats. Especially games that are player phase the difference between missing a single hit is a lot more costly  

6 hours ago, Pengaius said:

I prefer 2rn as it means that ~70~ hit is a little more than 70 hit, it makes me less paranoid and makes me play less turtely, single rn makes 70 hit so much less reliable and as such I play a lot slower almost never going for anything below 75 hit, when a group of enemies have 16 hit in 2rn they almost never hit in single rn, at least one of them will. 2rn reassures the player

You should really play some D20 based games(or games that simulate a d20 like fallout).

When you play a gane where hitrate is hardcapped at 95% you will understand that any% below 100 is not safe and if your strategy live and die by a single roll, chance are it wasn't good to begin whit. If you play thinking a displayed 75% won't miss you are going to be hit harder when unavoidbly a 75% attack miss at the worst possible moment.