Hall of Forms: The FEH Roguelike mode

Zapp Branniglenn

On 10/11/2019 at 12:11 PM, MonkeyCheez3K said:

As with AR during its inception, this mode has huge potential of being really fun and a great addition to the game. I'm just afraid they might turn it into trash - again, like AR - if they decide to make weird decisions. Right now, it's the most fun I had with the game since.... quite some time ago. The stamina system bugs me (I want to continue playing all the time, but can't), so I hope they will improve on the mode in the future.

Please, IS, don't screw it up.

Same. I was immediately reminded of how much I enjoyed AR at its very beginning. Back when making your own map was a really cool new thing, cancer defense setups, powercreep, mythics and now duos hadn't all sucked the fun out of it. This mode's great and my only complaint is wanting more stamina to play it(and maybe make it longer at the same time, since I'm already done besides 1 final map).

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 3. Celica really likes Atk/Spd. She has the Brazen Atk/Spd refine, Atk/Spd Push 4, Threaten Atk/Spd 3 and Atk/Spd Link with Reposition. She also has Drive Spd and Dragon Fang, also related to Spd/Atk . She wanted to learn Mystic Boost at one point which was kind of funny.

Boey becomes a HP supporter with both Infantry Pulse and now Sudden Panic. Too bad Alm has more HP than him.

Ended yesterday with:

Spoiler

As of today, made no progress. Chose to grind instead.

Alm: Lv 35. Heart's Blade (Spd), Swap, Blue Flame, Sturdy Impact, Spd Smoke

Celica: Lv 36. Rauorfox (Atk), Reposition, Ruptured Sky, Death Blow 4, Threaten Atk/Spd

Mae: Lv 38+1. Book of Orchids (Eff), Draw Back, Blue Flame, Sturdy Impact

Boey: Lv 37. Inscribed Tome (Eff), Ignis, Distant Def 4, Quick Riposte, Hone Spd 4

Got Boey caught up and gave everyone a couple levels. Expecting to spend tomorrow grinding, too. 

Now at Chamber 17. Spent one torch grinding.

Alm: Lv 38+1. Heart's Blade (Spd), Swap, Blue Flame, Sturdy Impact, Spd Smoke

Celica: Lv 39+1. Rauorfox (Atk), Reposition, Ruptured Sky, Death Blow 4, Null Follow-Up Threaten Atk/Spd

Mae: Lv 40+1. Book of Orchids (Eff), Draw Back, Blue Flame, Sturdy Impact

Boey: Lv 40+1. Inscribed Tome (Eff), Ignis, Distant Def 4, Quick Riposte, Hone Spd 4

Boey and Mae hit 40! Just need to get Alm and Celica up tomorrow and then I'll just need to focus on filling up these Skill Slots. Mae is really lagging behind with Skills.

Finished Chamber 20 today. Celica got her refined weapon, Death Blow 4 and Brazen Atk/Spd Sacred Seal, making her a massive destructive force capable of beating enemies many levels above her. In combination with Mae having Reposition and her own refined weapon, not much could stand up to Celica at +6 atk and spd. 

I agree that it would be nice to have more Stamina for this mode, at least once you get all the rewards. Perhaps just completely remove the need for Stamina once you reach Chamber 20, so you can play what you want for fun.

I still have chamber 20 left to do, but I'm all out of stamina and torches now, so it'll have to wait.

I've got this setup at the moment.

Alm - Lv. 39, Dracofalchion, Atk/Spd 2, Rouse Atk/Def 3

Celica - Lv. 38+2, unique refined Ragnarok, Growing Thunder, Fury 4, Renewal 3, Joint Hone Spd

Mae - lv. 37, unique refined Book of Orchids, Draw Back, Dragon Fang, Darting Blow 4, Poison Strike 3, Atk/Res Oath 3

Boey - lv. 40+2, unique refined Inscribed Tome, Glimmer, Swift Sparrow 3, Renewal 3, Even Def Wave 3

No seals, I kinda forgot about picking any. lol And Alm just isn't getting the first kill as often as he should, that's why he has fewer skills than everybody else. >_<

I like this mode though! It's not hair-pulling hard, but still offers a nice challenge and tests your build-making abilities.

Edited by Anacybele

This is legit a fun mode.

I've spent all my torches and gotten to level 14, with the team at level 37/38 +1 and a whole bunch of skills. 

Alm: Dracofalchion, Scendscale, Mythic Boost, Rally Up Res+, Blazing Light

Celica: Ragrarok, Atk/Res Push 3, Drive Atk 2, Heavy Blade 3, Aether

Mae: Book of Orchids, Swift Sparrow 3, Pulse Smoke3, Chill Atk 3, Glimmer

Boey: Inscribed Tome, Swift Sparrow 3, Atk/Res Bond, Reposition, Aether

Well, with today I only cleared to 16, but Celica got Brazen Atk/Spd 4, Boey got Null C-Disrupt and Mae got a merge because Chill Atk was in the B skill. Everyone also capped level. This is going to be interesting from here.

I think the stamina mechanic in this game mode is genius, but I do wish we had a little more to work with each day.

An inherent problem with a game mode like this, is that people stop playing it when they're satisfied with everything they've done. So if you could build them up without any stamina limit, you'll eventually build them up to your desired +10 build for them. And what do people do when they have nothing else to do on something? They stop playing it. So we'd see a heavy amount of play in the first day or two, but the rest of the time would be practically unplayed.

With a stamina limit, you're forced to not only build your units smartly but you're also forced to spread out your playtime. The game mode draws you in and gives you a set amount of resources, and after you get as far as you can with what you're given you leave satisfied. Sure, the satisfaction you get each day might not be as great as the satisfaction you'd get without dealing with stamina...but you come back each day with anticipation for the next day, and the next, and the next, and so on.

And not only that, but working on something like this for more than a day leaves you with a sense of accomplishment. "This is the result of your dedication." In the end, I think that's as great a reward as the feathers, orbs, and dragonflowers you get from each Chamber.

4 hours ago, MilodicMellodi said:

I think the stamina mechanic in this game mode is genius, but I do wish we had a little more to work with each day.

An inherent problem with a game mode like this, is that people stop playing it when they're satisfied with everything they've done. So if you could build them up without any stamina limit, you'll eventually build them up to your desired +10 build for them. And what do people do when they have nothing else to do on something? They stop playing it. So we'd see a heavy amount of play in the first day or two, but the rest of the time would be practically unplayed.

With a stamina limit, you're forced to not only build your units smartly but you're also forced to spread out your playtime. The game mode draws you in and gives you a set amount of resources, and after you get as far as you can with what you're given you leave satisfied. Sure, the satisfaction you get each day might not be as great as the satisfaction you'd get without dealing with stamina...but you come back each day with anticipation for the next day, and the next, and the next, and so on.

And not only that, but working on something like this for more than a day leaves you with a sense of accomplishment. "This is the result of your dedication." In the end, I think that's as great a reward as the feathers, orbs, and dragonflowers you get from each Chamber.

In that case, just make stamina infinite after you complete the last floor. It doesn't remove the feeling of accomplishment from finishing the tower on a limited stamina pool, and it lets you have all the fun you want afterwards.

Oh wow. Just noticed I just cleared chamber 19. o_o Well. I...guess this is almost over...?

Anyway, Mae got Threaten Atk/Spd 3. Yeah... She wants to power-double everything. Like, every skill increases atk/spd or decreases the foe's atk/spd except for her rally spd/res+ and Blue Flame. Celica got at least 1 merge.

Chamber 20 is on the horizon. My units are all Lv 40 with at least one merge level...

• Alm has the Dracofalchion, Sturdy Impact, and Lull Atk/Def, making him quite armored in combat. While getting Scendscale might be nice, I'm not gonna count on it being the key to my success in the final chamber. He also has Swap and Drive Atk.
  • Celica has been rocking the Loyal Wreath+ Spd for ever since the beginning, and it hasn't let her down... too badly. Besides that, she also has Atk/Def Bond, making it important she be next to someone. Res Opening to make Mae a magical tank, Fortify Def SS to reinforce the defense of these guys a bit, and Rally Atk/Spd+ for getting that extra boost in any way possible.
  • Mae got the Book of Orchids quite early on, but never had a movement assist to actually make the best use of it. Shove fixed that problem. She also has Glimmer, Brazen Atk/Res, Vantage, Hone Atk 4, and Poison Strike, a full skillset if very mismatched.
  • Boey... god I neglected your skills. He has Inscribed Tome, Reposition, Mirror Impact, Even Atk Wave, and Poison Strike. He's been used in more EP situations than PP, yet his skills can only be used PP... but he's still been pretty good.

I'm also starting to wonder if maybe they handled the skills a little badly... for instance, I've seen Ruptured Sky a few times, but not Draconic Aura. I also seen Aether a few times, but I can't remember if I ever saw Sol or Luna...

Mae really needs better skill rolls. I resorted to having both Atk/Spd Solo and Atk/Spd Bond SS just so she can have as much damage as possible no matter what the situation. Inefficient yes, but it's better than the Obstruct or a Atk Tactic for the 3rd time.

Also Cecilia finally has Desperation. Let the destruction commence, featuring the Blue Flame of Ragnarok.

Alm can also finally take advantage of Boey's Infantry Pulse after giving Boey a merge. Now he just needs a good special.

38 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Finished chamber number 20 and ...

Hide contents

Nothing? Really?

Spoiler

What did you expect, exactly? You got the last orb, and some useless animation like the "dip in the water" from tap battles would have been as pointless as ever. Maybe you wanted some additional dialogue between Thorr and Loki? Might still happen at the end of the event for everyone to see.

2 hours ago, MonkeyCheez3K said:
  Hide contents

What did you expect, exactly? You got the last orb, and some useless animation like the "dip in the water" from tap battles would have been as pointless as ever. Maybe you wanted some additional dialogue between Thorr and Loki? Might still happen at the end of the event for everyone to see.

Yeah something like that, or just a confirmation. 

9 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

In that case, just make stamina infinite after you complete the last floor. It doesn't remove the feeling of accomplishment from finishing the tower on a limited stamina pool, and it lets you have all the fun you want afterwards.

That sounds like a good balance.

---

Just beat Chamber 20! Needed one extra play compared to the minimum of 21 since I died once on Chamber 15, but I got a better map on my next try and things went pretty smoothly past that despite the level disadvantages. My team:

be4baa68085f91bd6b4b54c2132c7e1596832b22

I passed up a couple of opportunities to pick up Scendscale, since I already had Close Def and I wanted a special and a movement assist. Not sure if it was the right call, but it worked out. Damage output seemed like less of an issue than having someone who could take a hit.

c725b652cff506255046397dd86f552b23a10305

Celica ended up doing a ton of work at the end, often getting the best kill because Ragnarok+Atk/Spd Push made her into a great opener. She didn't tend to spend much time in the 25-80% HP range of getting full mileage out of both, but that was fine.

2efecd3f4794311096071bf85cdb50be433b9e90

Mae also did a ton of work, boosting the team's power and hitting really hard herself. Didn't get much mileage out of the Book or Orchids refinement since I took a long time to get movement assists, and Threaten Atk/Spd also ended up a bit tricky to activate.

dd932a7e4b1b60878a6fc3c9676d8a4bc30304ef

Boey was certainly the weakest. He got some cool skills, but his stats just weren't arranged the right way. He did give some solid Spd boosts, though, along with contributing chip damage. Ruptured Sky was from the last map, so I haven't gotten a chance to use it yet.

10 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Makes sense ^.^

You'd think seven day's worth of rewards would be enough. ;/

Still putzing around on Chamber 16 or so.  Atk/Spd Solo and Spur Atk/Spd do not belong on the same unit.

Kind of feel trolled that I always get only enemies with high Res on the last map. Like my only Unit who can do damage is Alm, meanwhile Fury 4 Mae just gets blocked. Maybe I just should have focused more on Celica... Have a bad weapon on Mae though. xD

Edited by Stroud

Yeah there's not much variety in the weapon slot - all my units had their Prfs by level 15. Maybe they should ease up on the restrictions for this mode and let them have other people's Prfs?