Which "Bad" Characters do you Enjoy Using?

Mukmuk

We all know what a terrible character is- one that contributes very little, is not usable with considerable investment, etc. But, there are some characters that we have special bias toward- we convince ourselves they are good and we end up using them. One personal example for me is Lilina from FE6 (I'm sure people can symphasize). She's hardly a good unit in Hard Mode (she's passable in normal),  but I still use her anyways; one, because Hector, two, because she's just so freakin adorable. 

Since I'm sure everyone shares this bias in some form, I'm just curious to see the opinions on the fandom.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My weakness to cute girls tends to lead me to using far more archers and myrmidons than are considered wise. Characters like Mia, Marisa, and Rebecca almost always get used just because dammit I like them and am willing to put the extra effort into making them work.

I play pretty efficiently, except for very specifically taking about eight turns to feed the stationary steel axe brigand leader to Wil in LHM. Currently, I'm scroll abusing to get a tune out of Tania, too. And Shinon, in 9-- I have kind of a problem for archers, generally.

L'Arachel in Sacred Stones. Sure I could probably use Natasha or Moulder as my healing unit but I'm willing to spend 30 minutes in Chapter 14 buying Barrier staves from the secret shop and having L'Arachel spam them so she can gain levels and catch up to the rest of the group. Marisa too for that matter since there is an Arena in the chapter you recruit her and it doesn't take that long for her to gain levels there.

Would Cherche count as a bad unit in Awakening? She come a little bit before midgame and its possible to get a 'better' Wyvern Rider if you use a second seal on Panne or Lonqu but I always use Cherche as Wyvern Rider alongside Lonqu.

Lucia in Tellius, in fact most low tiers in Tellius. I find it more enjoyable to play those games with the worst characters, for some reason.

I also really enjoy using Kliff in echoes, especially Dread Fighter Kliff, who's SPD gets pretty ridiculous.

i don't know if erk is considered as a terrible unit, but many people think pent is better, and i never cared because i like my purple-haired mage so much

Est archetype or Trainee units are often considered bad, because tehy are highly inefficient. But I'll use them every single type.

Not only because I love shiny green numbers, but because it's far more satisfying to raise a unit from zero to hero, than use a unit that is already strong from the start and won't change much.

2 hours ago, Fire Brand said:

Lucia in Tellius, in fact most low tiers in Tellius. I find it more enjoyable to play those games with the worst characters, for some reason.

I also really enjoy using Kliff in echoes, especially Dread Fighter Kliff, who's SPD gets pretty ridiculous.

It's hard to argue anyone capable of being a dread fighter is a "bad" unit. Especially when, without grinding, you can get them through the dread fighter loop by the end of the game with ease as long as you don't spread your exp too thin.

Edited by Alastor15243

Tellius

Bastian is my favorite character in the franchise.

I really like Pelleas.

Zihark in PoR. Not bad per say, just not great. Outclasses most other myrmidons in that game.

Shinon in PoR.

Leonardo

Aran

Sacred Stones

Innes. Archers are bad, but he is a personal favorite.

I don't care that Forde is the worst of the cavaliers. He's got the best design and personality of any Christmas cav.

Ross

L'Arachel

Rennac

Blazing Sword

Wil

Legault

Erk

Awakening

Virion

Three Houses

Bernadetta

Ashe

Lorenz

Annette

Edited by Etheus

Sniper Mozu and Sorcerer Odin.

Both perform perfectly fine (specially the multiple times Super Bowl’s MVP Mozu), even on restrictive, challenging campaigns in Lunatic Conquest, but many people consider them “bad” units.

Now, which units that I actually consider bad do I use? None.

Edited by starburst

Not units, but classes. I like using wolfskins (not kitsune though), even though the stone-locked class is considered sub-par. I find that Keaton and Velouria are both plenty strong enough to do devastating damage even with low-might stones, that there are enough 1-range enemy groups that they can still do plenty of enemy-phase damage even without 1-2 range, and that their ability to shift between stones to change their defense on the fly is pretty damned useful to deal with Conquest's AI, getting their defense as high as it can get without making enemies ignore them.

Plus, sue me, I think they look amazing.

Edited by Alastor15243

38 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Not units, but classes. I like using wolfskins (not kitsune though), even though the stone-locked class is considered sub-par.

Man, if Velouria is “bad” then 3/4 of Conquest’s cast is pure garbage. 🤫

Arden - and I always make sure to marry him with someone

Virion 

Rebeca 

Neimi 

Amelia

Dorothy 

Mozu 

Donnel

Charlotte

Arthur

Lilina 

Marissa

Most non mounted units and substitutes in Genealogy

Uh there's a lot of characters really. I have a lot of fun turning  weak\bad characters into "beasts"

Edited by Mylady

13 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

I applaud you. I tried arena + RNG abusing in the remake and still gave up. Is she more useable in the original?

Along with Bantu, far more usable! Caps are lower in the original as everything but HP stops at 20.

Her growths are very strong, but her base stats are too low and the movement thing even though its clear the developers expected Sheena to be strong. Still a few arena levels will solve a lot, but don't expect to get a low turn count if you level Sheena as you'll likely have to slow down a bit.

Bs_fe03_sheena_general_lance.png

Her battle sprite is too unique not to use her.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

3 hours ago, Flere210 said:

I applaud you. I tried arena + RNG abusing in the remake and still gave up. Is she more useable in the original?

I have used Sheema on a Hard New Mystery run (I went out of my way to use all the royals on that run), and she did all right. Ended up being my Parthia user in endgame