What do you want to see next from FE?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Preferred next entry? (Choose top 3)

• Three Houses sequel/prequel/midquel
    • New game in a new setting
    • Sequel to another game
    • Remake
    • Port/remaster (DS, 3DS, GCN, Wii)
    • Spinoff
    • Official translations of SNES games on NSO
  2. 2. Which remake would you want the most?

• Jugdral
    • Elibe
    • Archanea
    • Other
  3. 3. Which port/remaster would you want the most?

• Shadow Dragon + Heroes of Light and Shadow remaster
    • Path of Radiance + Radiant Dawn
    • Fates Definitive Edition
    • Other
  4. 4. How would you prefer to return to Fódlan?

• Sequel which makes one of the 3H routes canon
    • Awakening style sequel set far in the future
    • Prequel
    • Midquel

1: Three Houses has enough worldbuilding, especially with places like Dagda and Morfis, that it would be a shame to leave the world after only one game.

2: I think Elibe, because Three Houses has too many similarities to the Jugdral games to remake them directly afterwards. People would just complain that it's too similar to the previous game.

3: New Mystery is the only option that doesn't already have an English release.

4: I really want a Crimson Flower sequel focusing on Hubert and Edelgard's war agaisnt TWSITD. Another cool idea would be a midquel where Petra goes to Dagda to prevent an invasion of Brigid and Fodlan, or a game that takes place in Almyra during Claude's reign, but I think the first I mentioned wins out due to all the new mechanics you could introduce in a spy-themed Fire Emblem, similar to all the new mechanics Three Houses introduced with its school setting. The option says "Sequel which makes one of the 3H routes canon" but I don't think a sequel would actually make any route "canon". Crimson Flower is shorter than the other routes, and ends with a lot of stuff still going on, and it makes perfect sense to have a sequel that sorts things out and maybe also takes a closer look at what kind of society Edelgard is creating.

Edited by Druplesnubb

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Druplesnubb said:

This is kinda off-topic but I really don't like this "IS doesn't recognize the older games" mentality. This isn't just inaccurate, it's literally the opposite of the truth. The more influence IS has on a crossover, the better the representation for older and less popular games are:

Awakening DLC was made by IS, every game in the series (at that time) is represented.

TMS was made by Atlus, only Archanea and Awakening are represented.

Cipher is made by IS, all games are represented.

Heroes is made by IS, all games are represented.

Warriors was made by Koei Tecmo, only Archanea, Awakening and Fates are represented. The exceptions are Lyn and Celica, who were added by mandate from IS.

The trend is always the same. Crossovers made by IS: all games are represented (though some get more than others). Crossovers made by other companies:  only the most popular games are represented, except for when IS specifically interferes in the project to give a wider representation of games. Remember, this is the same company that remade fucking Gaiden in 2017. The original concept for Three Houses was based on a plot point from Genealogy. Pretty much all the higher-ups are known to have been Fire Emblem fans since the very first game (yes, even Maeda).

So yeah, if the game is made by ASW and IS only has limited involvement then I guess the cross-series representation would be pretty poor.

Awakening DLC hardly counts as a spinoff, it's still actual fire emblem.

I won't dispute that cipher and heroes are great examples of equal representation, but the design of those games allows for it. Drawing a new card or adding a new unit takes significantly less effort than modeling and programming a character into a large scale game like TMS or Warriors. It's less about which company is in charge (you don't really know for sure how much influence IS has on spinoffs anyways) and more about what is realistically possible to accomplish within the development cycle. 

That being said, I would hope that a fire emblem fighting game would be more inclusive. I trust ArcSystemWorks with doing the series justice anyways. The work that they've done with blazblue and DBFZ has been outstanding, and always a love letter to the source material, whether it be RWBY, Dragon Ball, Persona or whatever.

The other nice thing about ASW fighting games is that they don't really age that quickly cause the graphical style is timeless. A longer lifespan for the game could mean significantly more dlc and fanservice. Hell, if DBFZ got GT content, then I'm sure a Fire Emblem fighting game would get some Thracia down the line.

Honestly I just don't care enough about Jugdral, Elibe or Tellius to see remakes of those game so I would prefer seeing the next entry being a new game in a new setting even if they have to spend three years of development to make the world building as great as Three Houses'. That said I wouldn't mind another remake of Shadow Dragon/Mystery of the Emblem since I love those games and would like to see those games more fleshed out, added support conversations, fully voiced acted, etc. though I don't realistically seeing them doing it any time soon.

I think someone else already mentioned it but I also like the idea of a Fire Emblem spinoff fighting game made by Arc System.

4 hours ago, NSSKG151 said:

I think someone else already mentioned it but I also like the idea of a Fire Emblem spinoff fighting game made by Arc System.

Maybe in a Fire Emblem specific fighting game we'd be able to get some playable characters that don't use a damn sword.

8 hours ago, Arachnofiend said:

Maybe in a Fire Emblem specific fighting game we'd be able to get some playable characters that don't use a damn sword.

Sure but the majority of the roster would probably still be using swords since that is what most of the important characters use.

6 hours ago, Arachnofiend said:

There will inevitably be a lot of sword users but fighting games allow for a lot of varieties of styles. I can already imagine Byleth having command grabs with the sword of the creator, all the rapier users having small range but a lot of changeups and combo variety, (like weiss in blazblue) Ike hitting like a truck and even maybe adding some fire stuff to his sword. 

I’d imagine that lance users would have more range and axe users would have larger hitboxes. Maybe they can even take a little bit of inspiration from DBFZ’s Goku GT and his power pole for some of the moves for spear users.

Hopefully bows would be used a little more creatively than just shooting the opponent from a distance. I’m thinking sort of what Green Arrow does in Injustice with physically hitting people with the bow while having a variety of different types of shots.

Magic is pretty easily implemented, considering how great ki looks and works in dbfz.

Brawling and daggers should be a piece of cake to translate.

Just now, NSSKG151 said:

Sure but the majority of the roster would probably still be using swords since that is what most of the important characters use.

The last Fire Emblem crossover couldn't even get the basic classes in the game, despite developer promises.

All the more reason, Fire Emblem doesn't need a fighting game.

14 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

Majority still isn't "every rep" like in Smash. If a Fire Emblem fighting game were to come out right now then we'd be basically guaranteed to have one non-sword at launch since they'd include at least one of Edelgard and Dimitri.

7 minutes ago, Arachnofiend said:

Majority still isn't "every rep" like in Smash. If a Fire Emblem fighting game were to come out right now then we'd be basically guaranteed to have one non-sword at launch since they'd include at least one of Edelgard and Dimitri.

I think we'd getter reps if they stuck to one singular game.

• 1: New game in a new setting > Remake > Official translations of SNES games on NSO

A brand new game is always preferred, right? That's obvious for me. However, I feel like a remake is immanent, and I'd gladly accept a remake so long as it had the same excellent quality as Shadows of Valentia! And, lastly, an official translation of Genealogy of the Holy War? Yes, please!

• 2: Jugdral

I'd prefer a Jugdral remake over anything else, I think that's the section of the franchise that needs it the most. I love Elibe, but I feel like those games have aged well and aren't really in as much need of updating as pre-GBA era games.

• 3: Shadow Dragon + Heroes of Light and Shadow remaster

Mystery of the Emblem Book 2/New Mystery of the Emblem has yet to get an official English release, so I'd prefer that over any other remaster bundle.

• 4: Awakening style sequel set far in the future

I feel like the only way to return to the world of Three Houses would be the far future. The background and lore is detailed enough that a prequel isn't necessary, a midquel would seem strange unless it was an entirely different cast of characters, and anything that'd canonize one of the individual routes would seem like a big slap to the other routes. Doing something in the far future that leaves it open and vague would be the only option, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Arachnofiend said:

Uh, I wasn't talking about Smash Bros; I'm talking about a traditional fighting game with just FE characters. Of course we would see characters using lances, axes, bows and magic but I wouldn't be surprised if half the roster was still using swords.

29 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

Uh, I wasn't talking about Smash Bros; I'm talking about a traditional fighting game with just FE characters. Of course we would see characters using lances, axes, bows and magic but I wouldn't be surprised if half the roster was still using swords.

We saw what happened with Warriors and how that was essentially just swords.

12 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

We saw what happened with Warriors and how that was essentially just swords.

In DBFZ, there are 35 total characters in the roster, built up over 2 years. So, let’s start coming up with a roster for the theoretical fighting game.

Sword:

Marth/Lucina/Eirika

Chrom/Roy/Alm

Ike

Black Knight/Zephiel

Byleth

Sigurd/Eliwood

Lyn

Lance:

Ephraim/Dimitri

Azura

Axe:

Hector/Edelgard

Camilla

Bow:

Takumi

Anna

Magic:

Robin/Celica

Micaiah

Lyon

Arvis 

Dragon:

Corrin

Tiki

Duma

Grima

Laguz:

Tibarn/Naesala

Caineghis

Nailah

Ranulf

That’s 35 characters. Not even half of them are sword users, and there’s a huge variety of fighting styles among them. There are at most 15 female fighters, 9 fighters who transform, and at least 2 representatives from every game except for Thracia. I think it’s completely possible to have a diverse roster.

On 10/14/2019 at 11:12 AM, Brave Lance said:

In DBFZ, there are 35 total characters in the roster, built up over 2 years. So, let’s start coming up with a roster for the theoretical fighting game.

That’s 35 characters. Not even half of them are sword users, and there’s a huge variety of fighting styles among them. There are at most 15 female fighters, 9 fighters who transform, and at least 2 representatives from every game except for Thracia. I think it’s completely possible to have a diverse roster.

While that would be a decent roster, what makes you sure that is what we'd get?

Also your list could use some more lance users like Camus or Hardin, I'd cut Grima for one of them.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

1 hour ago, Emperor Hardin said:

While that would be a decent roster, what makes you sure that is what we'd get?

Also your list could use some more lance users like Camus or Hardin, I'd cut Grima for one of them.

It's not necessarily the roster that we would get but more of an example, mostly to show that one weapon type doesn't have to dominate. I included almost every single sword lord and it still only amounted to 1/3. I doubt that every single lord would actually get in, but it just goes to show that in an actual full blown fighting game there would be plenty of room and reason for a good roster.

I'd like the following:

1a. I'd really want to see how everyone makes the groundwork for their routes' happy ending. And especially how Edelgard crushes the conspiracy group.

1b. I also want a remake of everything that is not Ylisse/Akaneia, Fateslandia, or Valencia.

• Jugdral will need some modernization both in story and gameplay: to further expand the characters besides Sigurd, and to especially get rid of some of the arbitrary limitations in money and trading.
  • Binding Blade's gameplay should go beyond the positives of Conquest's gameplay, and make Roy's leadership and intelligence actually matter gameplay-wise, and rebalance stats between units to make everyone have a more equal shot at being good units. As for the story, script, and characters, I say massively expand the script to feature character-specific episodes for whoever is alive (and maybe even deployed):
    • Lilina and/or Cecilia can be Roy's devil's advocate, either replacing, or alongside Merlinus.
    • Marcus can comment on the failing state of Lycia's alliance.
    • If Roy romanced Thany or Sue, they can can inform him (or Lilina if Roy romanced her instead) about the culture and history of Ilia/Sacae, and also scouting results in Ilia/Sacae chapters.
    • Milady and/or Elen can undergo Bern's "state of the union address" talks with Guinevere - either replacing, or alongside Roy in some of the chapters.
    • Saul and/or Dorothy in Chapter 11 Ebracum route have their character episode where they investigate the corruption of Oro and his church, and also investigate the missing whereabout of previous auditors from the Etrurian Vatican.

In other words, I'd like an expansion of the core story, by having other characters talk and act (alongside, or sometime instead of Roy/Merlinus) in the core story where possible.

• For Tellius: I can't mention about the gameplay, but for the story, there are several. Firstly, as with Elibe, core chapters should feature more of other characters talking and acting in the main story if they are alive. Also, with Radiant Dawn, add extra chapters and proper support conversations for Micaiah's group so that they have proper screentime/limelight. Finally, change the final chapters a bit so that others can contribute in damaging the final boss, and Micaiah (and anyone else who should be eligble) can vanquish the final boss instead of only Ike. Basically tone down the sexism, please.

2. I think I would put it as 1. Jugdral, 2. Elibe, and 3. Tellius. There is one big condition to all of this, however. I'd like to see more screentime for other characters (either as described above or another way if more appropriate) instead of, Alm or the original Roy, Ike, or Corrin being the be-all and end-all of all things. This was one aspect of TMS's and Persona 3-4's storytelling that I liked better than the majority of FE's main stories (or in various stories I know in general that aren't about history): The stories for the former three games were explicit in showing how it was not just about Itsuki, Yu, or Minako, but also their friends and comrades (side quests, performances for the former, and social links for the latter), and how they worked together to save the day. I felt that this was in general lacking (or lip-serviced at best) in Fire Emblem outside of gameplay.

3. I've put Tellius down, but my real answer is none, because I'd rather have a full remake of Tellius instead of some minor polish, and I don't really see Akaneia, Ylise, or Fateslandia needing an updated port as a priority.

4. See 1.

Edited by henrymidfields

I definitely believe that we'll get another remake next. Like you said, they wanted to remake Binding Blade, but I really wish they would go for Genealogy of the Holy War, as I've never had the opportunity to play it. It's for a similar reason I want Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn as remasters: I don't own those games and I would really like to, but they're so expensive and rare.

I think the world of Fódlan definitely has more to offer, but the split routes mean we'll most likely never get a sequel. It's a shame, because I think that's what I would prefer. I generally dislike prequels as they often feel clumsy in the way they try to answer every question and insert references where they're not needed. Blazing Blade remains one of my least favorite Fire Emblem games in terms of story in part due to how awkwardly it's handled, not to mention you know the villain won't succeed.

Naturally, you could always make it a prequel set in the war against Nemesis, for example, or a very distant sequel. The former would probably work better than the latter, as if the sequel feels too disconnected, then one might wonder what the point was (I say, really liking Awakening). I don't think I would mind a sequel of Three Houses where, without necessarily declaring the path canon, they picked on route to continue from and said "here is what happened to the world after Byleth chose house X". Of course, this might not go over very well, and no doubt another issue would be the inclusion of students from other houses.

Maybe they'll just set the next game outside of Fódlan if they return to that world. They could always pull an old Bioware and let you fill in what decisions you picked in Three Houses to allow for more accurate references and cameos.

15 minutes ago, Thane said:

I don't think I would mind a sequel of Three Houses where, without necessarily declaring the path canon, they picked on route to continue from and said "here is what happened to the world after Byleth chose house X". Of course, this might not go over very well, and no doubt another issue would be the inclusion of students from other houses.

Multiverse means they could just pretend that, although route Y is being followed up on in this story, the other routes still happened in other worlds.

That was how Shin Megami Tensei: IV Apocalypse was handled. The game chose to canonize the silent protagonist's name as Flynn, and they chose to have him pick the Neutral route, when he had Law, Chaos, and the "White bad ending" as other options. The game didn't have him finish the Neutral route though, he is in the process of doing so, having not yet fought the leaders of Law and Chaos, and instead gets owned by the new bad guys the "Divine Powers". Thus, the game picks up with the new silent protag where the old one fails, and goes in a very different direction from the first SMTIV. Its two endings are "Bonds" and "Massacre".

There is one important difference though. SMT has always had a Neutral canon bias. SMTII follows SMTI, under the assumption the SMTI silent protag picked Neutral. I don't know and it probably isn't the case that 3H is biased towards a particular route. I'd guess not having touched the game yet it'd be biased for BE, but given Dimitri is more the fan favorite character; would they canonize pseudo-democratically, or according to developer biases?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Multiverse means they could just pretend that, although route Y is being followed up on in this story, the other routes still happened in other worlds.

That was how Shin Megami Tensei: IV Apocalypse was handled. The game chose to canonize the silent protagonist's name as Flynn, and they chose to have him pick the Neutral route, when he had Law, Chaos, and the "White bad ending" as other options. The game didn't have him finish the Neutral route though, he is in the process of doing so, having not yet fought the leaders of Law and Chaos, and instead gets owned by the new bad guys the "Divine Powers". Thus, the game picks up with the new silent protag where the old one fails, and goes in a very different direction from the first SMTIV.

There is one important difference though. SMT has always had a Neutral canon bias. SMTII follows SMTI, under the assumption the SMTI silent protag picked Neutral. I don't know and it probably isn't the case that 3H is biased towards a particular route. I'd guess not having touched the game yet it'd be biased for BE, but given Dimitri is more the fan favorite character; would they canonize pseudo-democratically, or according to developer biases?

Even though I haven't played much of the series at all, I actually knew that and thought it was a possible alternative for a potential Three Houses sequel. I do think that no matter what they do though, two thirds of the fanbase will feel miffed their house wasn't chosen. 

I could definitely see them going for a Blue Lion's sequel if only because of Dimitri, but there is something to be said about how that story ended. Perhaps it should remain a closed chapter. 

I don't know, I just get the annoying feeling of "I know how this ends" whenever I play prequels to an already finished work. That's not to say they can't make a good story in a prequel, especially since Fódlan has a rich history and we don't know all the answers, but it's sort of an uphill battle. Imagine telling us a bunch of secret goodies in a prequel, only for us to then go back to play Three Houses where those secrets are either not important, brushed aside or forgotten.

On 10/25/2019 at 4:29 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:

On 10/25/2019 at 4:36 AM, Thane said:

Even though I haven't played much of the series at all, I actually knew that and thought it was a possible alternative for a potential Three Houses sequel. I do think that no matter what they do though, two thirds of the fanbase will feel miffed their house wasn't chosen. 

I could definitely see them going for a Blue Lion's sequel if only because of Dimitri, but there is something to be said about how that story ended. Perhaps it should remain a closed chapter. 

I can see a full sequel be out of the question, but what would stop the developers and writers from making 5-6 chapters each to tie up loose ends in all 3 (or was it 4?) routes as DLCs?

Edited by henrymidfields

22 minutes ago, henrymidfields said:

I can see a full sequel be out of the question, but what would stop the developers and writers from making 5-6 chapters each to tie up loose ends in all 3 (or was it 4?) routes as DLCs?

That might cost too much time and money to develop as DLC, but hell I'd buy it for sure, of course. 

Later down the line, perhaps in the next Nintendo console, I see an enhanced version of Three Houses. From the unused text, there are ideas not put into the game. Tournaments having difficulty settings and equipable weapons, more group tasks, trading resources for resources, and raising horses to have different stat allocation. In addition to expanding the Crimson Flower route which deserves better. Having a distinct part one for each route will also be appreciated.

https://tcrf.net/Fire_Emblem:_Three_Houses/Unused_System_Text

On 10/24/2019 at 2:29 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

That was how Shin Megami Tensei: IV Apocalypse was handled. The game chose to canonize the silent protagonist's name as Flynn, and they chose to have him pick the Neutral route, when he had Law, Chaos, and the "White bad ending" as other options. The game didn't have him finish the Neutral route though, he is in the process of doing so, having not yet fought the leaders of Law and Chaos, and instead gets owned by the new bad guys the "Divine Powers". Thus, the game picks up with the new silent protag where the old one fails, and goes in a very different direction from the first SMTIV. Its two endings are "Bonds" and "Massacre".

I think a direct sequel of Three Houses wouldn't be the best way to go. A distant prequel or a midquel in the same continent following another story is the best option. But if it were to happen, most of the times the developers go for the most popular option, so Dimitri would be the hinted canon route. Being the most popular lord is not reason enough to get a game for himself honestly. Canonizing one route, pairings or other optional stuff  will piss a lot of people and it's not the wisest move. 

Also Almyra, Brigit and Dagda are the only countries that weren't explored enough so would make more sense a game settled there if they want to return to Fodlan - if they avoid  referencing Claude's fate in Almyra's case - though in this scenario probably it would be a prequel or distant sequel.   

Edited by Mylady