What do you want to see next from FE?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Preferred next entry? (Choose top 3)

• Three Houses sequel/prequel/midquel
    • New game in a new setting
    • Sequel to another game
    • Remake
    • Port/remaster (DS, 3DS, GCN, Wii)
    • Spinoff
    • Official translations of SNES games on NSO
  2. 2. Which remake would you want the most?

• Jugdral
    • Elibe
    • Archanea
    • Other
  3. 3. Which port/remaster would you want the most?

• Shadow Dragon + Heroes of Light and Shadow remaster
    • Path of Radiance + Radiant Dawn
    • Fates Definitive Edition
    • Other
  4. 4. How would you prefer to return to Fódlan?

• Sequel which makes one of the 3H routes canon
    • Awakening style sequel set far in the future
    • Prequel
    • Midquel

On 10/24/2019 at 11:29 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Multiverse means they could just pretend that, although route Y is being followed up on in this story, the other routes still happened in other worlds.

That was how Shin Megami Tensei: IV Apocalypse was handled. The game chose to canonize the silent protagonist's name as Flynn, and they chose to have him pick the Neutral route, when he had Law, Chaos, and the "White bad ending" as other options. The game didn't have him finish the Neutral route though, he is in the process of doing so, having not yet fought the leaders of Law and Chaos, and instead gets owned by the new bad guys the "Divine Powers". Thus, the game picks up with the new silent protag where the old one fails, and goes in a very different direction from the first SMTIV. Its two endings are "Bonds" and "Massacre".

There is one important difference though. SMT has always had a Neutral canon bias. SMTII follows SMTI, under the assumption the SMTI silent protag picked Neutral. I don't know and it probably isn't the case that 3H is biased towards a particular route. I'd guess not having touched the game yet it'd be biased for BE, but given Dimitri is more the fan favorite character; would they canonize pseudo-democratically, or according to developer biases?

I was pretty much going to say this. Fire Emblem's whole multiverse thing means that debating over "canon" routes are basically pointless. Kind of like how the Heirs of Fate DLC worked by establishing many worlds of both Birthright and Conquest. In a way, all 4 routes of Three Houses are happening. Your choice at the beginning just chooses which one you're following.

So, them using one of the paths for a Three Houses follow-up wouldn't make that one route more definitive than the others. And the SMTIV: Apocalypse style "pseudo-sequel/alternate retelling" is another possible route for them should they decide to return to Fodlan for another game.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/1/2019 at 11:13 PM, Sentinel07 said:

I was pretty much going to say this. Fire Emblem's whole multiverse thing means that debating over "canon" routes are basically pointless. Kind of like how the Heirs of Fate DLC worked by establishing many worlds of both Birthright and Conquest. In a way, all 4 routes of Three Houses are happening. Your choice at the beginning just chooses which one you're following.

So, them using one of the paths for a Three Houses follow-up wouldn't make that one route more definitive than the others. And the SMTIV: Apocalypse style "pseudo-sequel/alternate retelling" is another possible route for them should they decide to return to Fodlan for another game.

Honestly chosing one path and pairings for a sequel would validate that route more than others. Obviously the logical reasoning is that all possiblities are canon but you know that's not how the fanbase works and a lot of players would get pissed . 

With the recent games the developers learned to tone down pushed and favoured stuff and honestly it's better this way than the annoying "ship" and "canon choice" wars that the happened in most previous games. Let the players have freedom and make their own choices  if the game allows it, without taking it down later. 

Edited by Mylady

1. Remake, port, or an entirely new game

2. Jugdral or Archanea - I do consider the Elibe games perfectly playable even by today's standards, so I'm fine if they won't remake it in the near future. On the other hand, Jugdral games did gave me some hardships to play. They are playable, I'm not saying they aren't, they just don't hold up as well, imho. Also, the story is awesome, and given how there was no official english release, for the some it would be an entirely new Fire Emblem, and probably a pretty good at it. As for Archanea, well, I just didn't like the art-style of the ds ones, so I guess it'd be nice to see them in a better way.

3. Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn - I've never finished either, so I guess if they would release it for the switch, it might be time to play them. 

4. None, to be honest. I'm far from finishing Three Houses, but so far it's already pretty awesome. I don't think they could make it any better with a prequel or sequel or anything, so there is no point in making any.