Agbassa juju cultural research help!

Dr. C

So I am working on a story and one of the characters is a Nigerian who has been granted eternal youth by a magic bell called the Eternal Bell.

His father was a powerful practitioner of the dark arts in the  pagan religion of the area that tried to fight back against big oil barons by casting hexes and curses on them which the character resents him for and thinks his father is a warlock.

i want this to be as culturally authentic and accurate as possible and not take the easy way out with fictional spirituality because Ken Siro-Wiwa is close to my heart and I want to honor the Nigerian people with an accurate portrayal and representation of their future.

i am half white half Korean domain outnof my cultural breadth and while google gives me general understanding of wars fought and juju in general.

Specifics on Agbassa juju spirituality  are  impossible to find.

9 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

I think the best way to figure this out would be to talk to someone in that culture, which also sounds very difficult, if not impossible. Good luck though.

I was trying to play the law of averages of one Nigerian being in Serenesforest...

guess the averages aren’t on my side

3 minutes ago, Dr. C said:

I was trying to play the law of averages of one Nigerian being in Serenesforest...

guess the averages aren’t on my side

There are subreddits for every country and major city I'm pretty sure? You could ask on the Nigeria subreddit if there is one.

Edited by Dragoncat

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

There are subreddits for every country and major city I'm pretty sure? You could ask on the Nigeria subreddit if there is one.

Ugh... Well gg.

Good suggestion but unfortunately it is a conversation with a certain relative to get my damn passwords to get a reddit app.

im just going to sign up a free phone

i did find away around it from just focusing in the juju aspect of it.

The spiritual side of jujus is two people touching the same thing are spiritually tied to the item. Funnily enough it reads like quantum entanglement. 

So a juju soaked in the blood of an entire tribe killed by genocide and one man killing them is going to put one heck of a hex on someone. 

I can't believe I have a story where the main characters are children and one of their adult antagonists is choking on the blood of a Nigerian tribe...

then again I've already got a kid whose father would take him with him to concerts at gay clubs who is straight and traumatized but hates Christiantiy because his father found Jesus and decided that taking his son to bars and getting too drunk to parent him properly and stuffing his face with ice cream to keep him happy is bad parenting and essentially banishes his son to suburb so he can grow up a normal kid whiteout his father in his life except one day a year and concerts he generally chooses not to attend.

I've got a kid who is 14 and was molested and abuse day a deranged priest in an orphanage. (Darker still was that this sicko was actually a member of the antagonists and was doing specifically to psychologically break him and steal his hopes and dreams)

ive ve got a girl who was kidnapped by human traffckers when she was 8.

and we have a guy who was traumatized when his parents got divorced over his father sending his olde rbrother to a gay conversion therapy camp  where his son got turned into a monster and tried to kill him only to get killed by someone else. 

Ive got a cancer rsurvivor and a girl with a dead mother... Yeah you know what... The guy choking on blood is pretty tame.

Edited by Dr. C