Rank the paralogues from easiest to hardest

44 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

I speciphically consider "warpskippability" an element of bad map design unless the access to warp is extremely limited(as is in most games) or you need a truly complicated sequence of precise step in order to pull off the skip. 

The devs knew those tools were in the game, and yet they chose to make many kill boss map that are short enought for you to skip them easily. If shanking the boss on turn 1 is clearly not just the best, but the simplest and easiest to figure out solution to a map, then there is no point into seeking any other solution untill you self impose yourself to do so.

While defininitly not a mark of good map design, a lot of these Warp-skippable Paralogues do punish you if you one/two turn rush it in Maddening, as the experience given in these paralogue maps is quite substantial in this particular difficulty, where grinding levels (and not class masteries) in the Extra missions feels like a waste of time.

For instance, Lorenz's map is actually pretty hard if you play it without warp rushing the boss, but my Leone and Ignatz got something like 3-4 levels in that map alone. I remember it because the map was the breakpoint into Leonie becoming actually a good character in my run (started like a week ago).

Had I not leveled these two in this particular paralogue, I think Reunion at Dawn would have been impossible for me.

On 1/1/2020 at 10:10 PM, IlVIlatt said:

I just did it on third try with some extremely careful pulls with archers and Byleth, after a mad dash to the merchant using stride from a battalion. Also gathered up troops outside last enemies agro range then used stride and managed to bust a hole in the line of reinforcements and run Ingrid to the finish. Definitely required me to overclock my brain xD But honestly I found it to be a blast. Definitely depends on how you prep. Can imagine its a nightmare without stride.

I have to admit... this paralogue was like a cakewalk... compared to Edelgard's (same map) which I have played after making this thread.

Stopping all the dracos were a pain in the ass.

In my finished CF run Marianne's paralogue was the only one I was not able to beat because I had no chance to give underleveled Marianne a safespot.

Even if the terrain can be used as advantage, there are also enemy mages and snipers on the map which make things just worse.

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

Problem is, you also have paralogues that flat out are not possible without warp/dance abuse. Caspar/Mercedes' one in part two is supremely poorly designed for that reason. Unless Caspar/Mercedes are strong enough to take on the enemies that make a beeline for them, you have to double warp (or even triple warp if memory serves) a highly mobile unit capable of independently taking on these enemies to free them. 

I just played that one recently and I don't remember any enemies making a beeline for them. I just drew the wolf, killed it and then they were safe for 5 turns which gave me plenty of time to reach them of both paths with no warps involved. I can understand it being hard if you didn't train either of them but the intention behind a paralogue is that you are meant to have been using the required characters which is why they are forced for the chapter.

Regardless I found to be one of the easier paralogues I've played, and I was doing this Maddening NG Silver Snow with no dlc and I think most people agree that silver snow is by far the hardest route. So it's a surprise to hear that many have struggled with it. Though I suppose both times I've played this (Azure Moon maddening too) I used at least one of them(I didn't use Caspar in AM) so maybe it's a lot harder otherwise idk.

4 minutes ago, Zemuria said:

In my finished CF run Marianne's paralogue was the only one I was not able to beat because I had no chance to give underleveled Marianne a safespot.

Even if the terrain can be used as advantage, there are also enemy mages and snipers on the map which make things just worse.

Did you know about the fort you can put her in, just north of her starting location. No Monsters can reach her there and I don't remember there being human enemies nearby either, though I might be remembering incorrectly. With that you can take as much time as you want with the map.

EDIT: Oops sorry for double posting I forgot.

Edited by SpiceMan

You can just walk upwards with her through the forest. It should only take 2 or 3 turns for her to get there and the wandering beast doesn't try to move and attack her until you move someone else near him so you should have time. It's been a while since I played it so I can't remember exactly what to do but I don't think she's under threat.

23 hours ago, SpiceMan said:

I just played that one recently and I don't remember any enemies making a beeline for them. I just drew the wolf, killed it and then they were safe for 5 turns which gave me plenty of time to reach them of both paths with no warps involved. I can understand it being hard if you didn't train either of them but the intention behind a paralogue is that you are meant to have been using the required characters which is why they are forced for the chapter.

Regardless I found to be one of the easier paralogues I've played, and I was doing this Maddening NG Silver Snow with no dlc and I think most people agree that silver snow is by far the hardest route. So it's a surprise to hear that many have struggled with it. Though I suppose both times I've played this (Azure Moon maddening too) I used at least one of them(I didn't use Caspar in AM) so maybe it's a lot harder otherwise idk.

It may or may not be the intention, but people very often will do paralogues without using the characters involved, because they give excellent rewards. In the case of Caspar/Mercedes, the Rafail Gem is a terrific relic which makes many bosses with high critical rates and Counterattack much easier to safely engage, so of course I'm going to do that paralogue if it's available regardless of whether I've raised the characters it features. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to rate paralogue difficulty assuming the character in question isn't being used much.

That said, they are usually well-designed enough that you can keep that character safe, although in the case of Caspar/Mercedes and Marianne it's a bit trickier than most.

I'm not sure exactly how the enemy aggro works on that map, but you can do things which cause some enemies to "wake up" and, if they're not in range to attack one of your units, will start charging towards the weakest opponents on the map... i.e. Caspar and/or Mercedes. That said there are definitely ways to deal with this. I'm actually at that map again on my current playthrough so I'll try to keep an eye out for how things work this time.

On 10/12/2019 at 2:00 PM, Rosalina said:

It would interest me, if there is an order how to do the paralogues regarding difficulty.

The easiest paralogues are clearly Lorenz's and Raphael's / Ignatz's  because they can be easily oneturned via warp.

Also Seteth's / Flyan's paralogue is easy since it has no reinforcements and physical enemies cannot make fast progress due to the terrain. With fliers and mages in the party this chapter is really comfortable to play. 

The hardest one for me is Hilda's / Cyril's paralogue because it is not only a defend chapter, but also at least one of the (useless) NPCs has to survive. The birds are extremly dangerous due to their mobility, and it is extremly hard to dodge all warriors and paladins because they have breaker skills. Idk if a Lance breaker unit can dodgetank anything. In my case it does not work. Warping Byleth to forest tile in the first turn to tank the birds and other stuff will not work when only one of the enemies could use their battalion with success. 

Also Ingrid's / Dorothea's paralogue is annoying because of the awkward terrain, infinite and random ambush spawn (maddening). This chapter handles reinforcements the worst of all chapters I know so far. Lance and sword breaker are definitely required. Imo the worst deigned chapter in the entire game. 

Only one NPC has to survive? And here I am killing myself ensuring every last one of them is saved (managed to save all the mages in Hubert's paralogue too even though you only need to let a few live).

Edited by Jotari