Extra Data

blackestheart13

Hello SF,

Long time no see. I briefly read up some information on this but not 100% sure if I understood so I have to ask. 3DS recently took a fall and screen is done. Tried to replace them but the system basically said no. I have my entire motherboard though. So in short where would my saves 4-9 be? My SD card or somewhere in the MB? Cause I was in the midst of a very good CQ HM run and REALLY don't want to lose that. Also for that matter what would Branch of Fate do as that's my most recent Corrin? Would it just wipe Branch entirely or...?

If it is in the MB I'll just buy a cheap used 3DS XL online and swap them out. But if they'll still remain on the SD card then they should just load upon popping that in the new system, right?

Thanks a ton!

3DS save data is always stored on the SD card, though I don't have any DLC for Fates CQ so I can't vouch for save files 4-9. Unfortunately, even then, an SD card with 3DS save data cannot be used on another 3DS system unless you perform a System Transfer, which...kinda requires the original system to be functional. 😕

Edited by Baron the Shining Blade

31 minutes ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

3DS save data is always stored on the SD card, though I don't have any DLC for Fates CQ so I can't vouch for save files 4-9. Unfortunately, even then, an SD card with 3DS save data cannot be used on another 3DS system unless you perform a System Transfer, which...kinda requires the original system to be functional. 😕

Wouldn't swapping out the motherboard resolve the issue you're thinking of though?

It's been a long while since I've used my 3DS or anything but I think the Extra Data is also stored on the SD card. I'd suggest waiting for someone better informed before acting on that information though.

Thanks to both of you for the insight!

I have both the SD card and board so I guess worst comes to worst I can try one way and if it doesn't work, try the other. But don't you only get the extra saves with the extra paths? If that's the case wouldn't I almost have to do the board swap? Cause otherwise I think they'd have to "unlock" it from my broken system. It's not my first time having a 3DS break, I just really don't want to lose this file if I don't have to and I think last time they did that it all went bye-bye...I think. I miss the simple days of memory cards sometimes.

Were you playing a physical or digital copy? If it was digital, all game-related information is on the SD card. While the information stored inside the SD card is cyphered and only works for that particular system ID (not your Nintendo ID), you could copy its contents to other SD cards and everything would be recognised as long as you do not restore the system to its factory settings (it would break the decryption.)

Since you could not replace the screen, are you sure that the motherboard is intact? A new screen already replaces all the screen-related wires.
If you are sure that the motherboard works, you could put it in a different console and preserve all your game data and settings. Just remember that the serial number that matters is the one printed on your original case and not on your new one.
Once the surgery is successful, I would recommend you to hack your system and install a saves manager, which decrypts and backups your saves and lets you use them on any (hacked) console.

Should there be any issues with your Nintendo ID, you would need to call Nintendo, tell them what happened, provide the original information and ask them to migrate your data to a new Nintendo ID. I am sorry that I cannot give you more details about this, but I have never used a Nintendo ID; my console is hacked and I only play backups (even of the carts that I own.)

I was on my physical copy. I'm not a huge fan of digital stuff. I mean yeah I bought the extra paths finally but in 90% of situations I'd much rather have it on hand. 

I can confirm the board is OK because I thought only the bottom screen had broken. After replacing that one the system fired right up but the top was still black. Obviously that causes problems for fates since I can't see my files...it was in the process of trying to fix the top screen everything went to shambles. Had I known how truly annoying the top screen would've been to replace compared to the bottom I wouldn't have bothered and tried a transfer from there. Live and learn...hope for the best here.

I'm sadly aware of having the contact Nintendo. That's my last desire. Do you have any links to said methods to prevent future problems in case of further breakages? If you can't directly link them here just message me. Pretty sure my account isn't set to filter messages away.

Appreciate the feedback a ton!

13 hours ago, blackestheart13 said:

I'm sadly aware of having the contact Nintendo. That's my last desire. Do you have any links to said methods to prevent future problems in case of further breakages? If you can't directly link them here just message me. Pretty sure my account isn't set to filter messages away.

Do you mean about how to hack your console? This guide has been very useful for me in the past. The process is easy of you have an R4 card (those that let you play DS ROMs), and I recommend you to read everything first and take some notes to picture the steps of the general process, before starting to hack it. The process itself takes less than an hour, but you need to familiarise with the concepts first. I can help you with this.

Since you use carts most of the time, I would put the old motherboard in a new console, hack it and backup all your saves. Then put the new motherboard, hack it, configure it how you want it, migrate the saves and use a new console. I mean, if you are going to purchase a new console anyway, you might as well enjoy the new parts (the motherboard being the main one.)
You can later download that 10 % of games that you did not have the carts for.