Ignatz and mock battle permadeath?

Muddy Red

On my third playthrough, new game plus, playing as Blue Lions. Used my renown to regain supports with every possible character, whom I recruited very early on. Most recent recruit was Catherine. The last battle I remember being in was the first mock battle between the three houses. In this battle, my recruit Ignatz "fell" in battle, but we were otherwise victorious. I was under the impression that permadeath would not be incurred based on the fact that it was a mock battle. Now I'm exploring the monastery (immediately prior to the Tomb of Seiros mission, where you first fight the Death Knight and acquire the Sword of the Creator) and notice that I can only talk to Ignatz and can't interact with him at all, even through the menu (i.e. can't gift, lost items, tea party, inventory, support, roster, etc.). I can't tell if it's because he fell in the mock battle, or if it's because my roster size has maxed out. Or is it because Claude needs at least one recruit in the Golden Deer house? The thing that's throwing me off is that he's still alive and well in the monastery. Has anyone else experienced this?

I had a Petra on Chapter 5 Mission Assistance with me, and a sneaky archer put her down. She retreated, still alive in the monastery, and I had to face against her in the first mock battle. But just like your Ignatz, I can't interact with her anymore.

Well, I don't know the answer about Ignatz but..

The game doesn't have a ''maxed out'' roster. I recruited all the characters on my first playthrough (which was Blue Lions, the house with most characters), both pre-skip and pos-skip.

Also, since there's no ''maxed out'', Claude doesn't need students in the Golden Deer. (Poor guy)

Maybe you should wait a month? It might be somewhat similar to New Mystery of the Emblem, where if a unit falls in the Drill Ground, for example, he won't participate at all in anything at that Chapter.

(Edit: Ops, I meant month, sorry)

Edited by BergelomeuSantos

I am actually skeptic about this. Because after a story chapter you start a new month, and another round for Mission Assistance. You need to re-recruit for mission assistance, but if you can't have it or any interaction like that with a unit, it's gone for good. Also you mentioned you can't gift him and anything, so he probably had enough of you.

Oh, sorry. I actually forgot that the month ends after the Story Chapter. Well, if that is not the case, then I don't have any other idea besides waiting another month (see, if he was injured at the last day of the month, it makes sense that it would take some time in the next month for him to get better) or the 5 years skip.

Also, make sure to read that Hint about training/mock battles (the one you get right after choosing a house). There might be something about what actually happens after a unit falls.

4 hours ago, Gannondworf13 said:

I believe that if a unit falls that you've chosen for mission assistance you can no longer recruit that person. 

This is correct. Unfortunately your Ignatz is unrecruitable.

It's probably an oversight that this happens if you choose a unit for Mission Assistance in the Chapter 1 mock battle, because in a normal NG it's not possible to do - you can only do it in NG+.

In the Battle of the Eagle and Lion you actually can't deploy anyone who was chosen for Mission Assistance.