Stuck: Maddening Mode Chapter 13

Pirate

I've playing FE games for a long time now, and I've had my share of difficulties. But I've never been this screwed before.

I'm on my third route, Silver Snow, and I'm in maddening mode. Everything's been tougher. I appreciate that! I thought hard mode was a tad too easy. Now I'm eating my words. 

It's Chapter 13: Hunting at Daybreak. The same chapter happens in Blue Lions and, I've read, Golden Deer. It seems universally loathed and for good reason.

Of my Black Eagles, I used Dorothea as a dancer, Bernadetta is a sniper, and Petra is a wyvern rider. Haven't used Caspar or Ferdinand, or Seteth for that matter even though he is in this scenario. My female Byleth is an Enlightened One. 

I can't get past this level. I have permadeath on, and even if I let everyone die I still can't make it through. 

I'm trying to lower the difficulty. I know it won't let me go back up after the round, but honestly I don't care about that. It says I'm not allowed to change the difficulty at this time. Is there somewhere else I can change the difficulty? Like if I retreat can I press something to open settings? There is no setup in this level. 

Have I just lost like 50 hours to be trapped forever?

Unfortunately,  Byleth is my tankiest unit. She does get doubled by assassins, it takes a few of them to kill her. I can't get her to Dorothea and Caspar fast enough to save them because of the traffic. Seteth goes down to a single bad guy so I haven't had success using him as a human shield.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

Any reclass options for Byleth? Is the Impregnable wall gambit a possibility?

Provide things like HP, DEF values of your units and ATK values of the enemies.

You don't get battle preps for this chapter, so reclassing or assigning alternate gambits is unfortunately not an option.

53 minutes ago, Pirate said:

Unfortunately,  Byleth is my tankiest unit. She does get doubled by assassins, it takes a few of them to kill her. I can't get her to Dorothea and Caspar fast enough to save them because of the traffic. Seteth goes down to a single bad guy so I haven't had success using him as a human shield.

The recommended solution would probably be to go back to a previous save to set things up better for chapter 13. If you can do that, then let me know and I can maybe suggest some setup tips for that chapter.

If that is not possible, try these tips.

You have access to the convoy. Byleth/Seteth already get doubled by most things, so consider pulling out a shield. If you have a Silver Shield, that will save you 8 damage every combat. If you have Felix's personal shield (say you recruited him and did his paralogue), that saves 12 damage per combat. Also consider pulling out bows, so that your units can potentially chip enemies without taking damage.

The group in the upper left and upper right should not be in danger. Most of the enemies on the map don't move until you enter their range, so those two groups can mostly stand still if they're too weak to fight. The bottom left is in danger because those units spawn within enemy threat range. On Church route though, that unit is Petra, and if she is a flier for you she can likely escape to a safer tile.

I did have both a silver shield and the shield of House Fraldarius, but unfortunately they were with other units during the pre-timeskip battle so neither are in the convoy. I do have a hexlock shield, but it's weighing Byleth down and throwing off her avoid so I have to use it sparingly.

The group in the upper right is completely safe. No one bothers them if they keep real quiet. The upper left side is being attacked, though. I am going to try and lead the enemies away a few more times. Maybe it's that another enemy gets into their sights and then the others swarm them

Petra, luck be with her, I have an idea for. I'm going to have Seteth swing by and trade her some Movement+ stat boosters so she can really fly the coop. I just want her safe. 

I still don't think it's possible for me, though. I wish they would patch it so you could turn down the difficulty. I wish I had an earlier save. 

Blow your gambits early on, and reset/DP until the RNG works. Immobilizing and stat-downing the enemies will do wonders for you. Knowing the classes, battalions and stats of your units (if someone got blessed or screwed, that can really help/hurt your odds of getting through the hellish early turns) will help us work up a strategy to help you.

On 10/15/2019 at 1:26 PM, Pirate said:

I still don't think it's possible for me, though. I wish they would patch it so you could turn down the difficulty. I wish I had an earlier save. 

If you do want to turn down the difficulty, it might still be possible. I’m fairly certain you can retreat at any time on any main mission, and it will send you to the main battle screen. If you can do this and change the difficulty from that screen, that would break the soft lock. Chapter 13 may be an exception to this rule though, so I’m not sure. 

Silver Snow is the only route I have not done the map in maddening yet, but I am fairly sure it is by far the hardest route. Seteth joins underleveled unlike the other lords. If he had sword breaker (Idk if he has), he MIGHT be semi-useful against the sword users dismounted in a thicket. Byleth with sword breaker in a thicket can do extremly well in dodgetanking unless an enemy could use a gambit successfully on her. The Black Eagles is the weakest cast imo and having Edelgard replaced by an underleveled unit really hurts. If Byleth has the right weapons (lances, thunder sword...) and skills (sword breaker, lance level 5), it is NOT hard to beat (solo) the map. But keeping everyone alive inclduing Seteth sounds like a mammoth task to me. That said I have zero interest in playing this route (in maddening) because the cast daunts me.

I can confirm that you can retreat in chapter 13. I did it on my first run. I don't know if you can change the difficulty though, I didn't think to check on my first run since I was only on Hard at the time. Currently, I'm on chapter 6 of a NG+ Maddening Blue Lions run so it will be a long time before I can check.

28 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I think they need to learn in the future that lack of a preparation menu before any chapter is unacceptable.

I think the main reason they did it is for thematic and story reason, not for gameplay. In one way it's a bold move and I like it, but at the same time it is extremely frustrating.

Edited by FoliFF

On 10/17/2019 at 11:02 PM, Etheus said:

I think they need to learn in the future that lack of a preparation menu before any chapter is unacceptable.

I really don't think it's so bad as that. I mean, sure the chapter is hell on maddening and if you've neglected the students in your starting house even more so, but it fits properly from a narrative standpoint.

Let's be honest: we've had months to prepare on hard mode before maddening even dropped; if you don't know by now that whatever you input at the start of chapter 12 decides the flow of your chapter 13, you might want to reconsider playing on maddening at all.

On 10/23/2019 at 6:20 PM, Lysithea said:

This is normal in maddening. 

Byleth needs sword breaker and forest tiles to dodgetank. 

I don't have sword breaker on my Byleth and managed to complete the map without much problem. Although you have to use the forest tile for the extra evasion.

On 10/23/2019 at 6:00 PM, TheGuy said:

I'm playing Golden Deer and my Byleth and Claude are level 24 and are getting 2 shotted

Claudes Gambit is your best friend here.