Tears of Serenia - Quick Links
ToS - Progress Reports and General Discussion
ToS - Character Recruitment
ToS - Releases

Google Documents
ToS - Characters and Classes
ToS - Weapons and Items
ToS - Chapter Notes

Notice: Tears of Serenia has reached the cap for playable character units. However, if you want to become a boss and have some control over the map you appear in, boss applications are still open!

For those wondering, "what exactly is Tears of Serenia?" it is a "spiritual successor" to Serenes Emblem. It is a SRPG Studio fangame that features the users of Serenes Forest with a story that is also written by the members. While the main arcs have been locked into place, the chapter-by-chapter sequences are still open for suggestions. At present, the story goes...

Act One, CH 1-6: The Great Flame Wall (Revolves around the "Great Flame Wall" and fighting various bots/spammers/pirates." This arc is locked in place.)
Act Two, CH 7-12: Banhammer Quest (After defending the Great Flame Wall, the party ventures forth to find the legendary Ban Hammer which grants great power to its wielders.)  
Act Three, CH 13-18: Awakening (The party has been defeated and exiled due to the Banhammer's extraordinary power. They must regroup themselves before beginning their counterattack.)
Act Four, CH 19-24: Tears of Serenia (Now with a plan of action, the party goes to confront Anonymous and restore Serenia to its rightful glory.)

Gameplay is mostly standard Fire Emblem, although some things are changed due to SRPG Studio working the way it does. For example, Weapon Ranks are tied to class tiers instead of leveling up like in modern installments. So, a T1 Soldier can wield Bronze Lances to Steel, while a T2 Halberdier can also wield Silver and Brave Lances. Also, combat calculations are similar to the GBA games save for some modifications (specifically to effective damage and how Weapon Weight is now affected by STR instead of CON).

Boss Applications

Rules
- Submitted character must somehow relate to your forum persona. (i.e. players should be able to recognize the character as the forum member.)
-- Limit of 1 character submission per forum member.

Template

Character Name: Bad Guy
Forum Name: Sire (If this changes regularly, your current username.)
Class: General (Class List: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ki4EToIAisUgy2eu-0HlOxxjh53tpohQndNiD4lUZvI/edit?usp=sharing)

Affiliation: Antagonist
Main Appearance: Act Four (Specify - Act 1, Act 2, Act 3, Act 4 // If you show up multiple times, state each time the character appears.)

96 x 96 Face Portrait: (Transparent PNG file, please. Portrait Image can be anything reasonable. It does not have to be in the GBA style.)
[INSERT IMAGE]

Other Notes: (Assets / Flaws, Story Blurbs, Character Personality... basically any other information not covered up top. Characters provided as "blank slates" will be adjusted to fit the story accordingly.)

... Whew. I think that covers mostly everything. I'll update this post as necessary.

Edited by Sire

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I didn't joined up the last time just to have it going nowhere. So count me in for this revival.

Say, how much "complete" must the template be? I could put something up right now; but I don't have say, a portrait at the moment. Also don't exactly know what to put on the Other category. Feels too broad right now, haha.

Or, if permissible, I can put up what I can right now.

Character Name: Acacia
Forum Name: Acacia Sgt
Class: Shaman

Affiliation: Protagonist
Recruitment: If permissible, as part of the initial party at game start. If not, then of the "Appears on the map already under player control on Turn X" kind of recruitment, during Chapter 1, if permissible. If not, then at any point of the arc? For the actual turn, maybe within the first five, perhaps?
Recruitment Time: Starter (I assume this refers to the first arc, considering things)

Other Notes: Stat-wise, perhaps having a noticeable physical tankiness but being on the slow side. So high HP, Mag, Def, with low Spd, more or less average everything else. Personality wise, well, hmm... the character would be quite the introvert fellow, though leaning close to ambivertness. Unlikely to take the iniciative but once roped in can be quite social... at times. Partly due to this, consider him a drifter, who has been in many places across Serenia; but also means he hardly remembers much, save perhaps the most recent things in current dwellings. Maybe there could be something related to our joining times? I joined back in 2009 (with lurking since very late 2008), has to account for something perhaps, hahaha. If need a reason for being a starting unit, consider it as having stumbled across the events of Ch1 by chance, as usual... or perhaps fate, but mostly chance. Don't really know if to add more, already long as it is, so this will do.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Guess I might as well pitch in and continue showing my support for these endeavors.

Character Name: Von
Forum Name: Von Ithipathachai
Class: Either an Archer or a pre-promoted Druid (the latter if I end up with an important enough role in the story).

Recruitment: Automatic
Recruitment Time: Mid-game

96 x 96 Face Portrait:

FnqZuMvj_x2XwK6P6BxffflqmD8i97VBR02kaAX49gU2vxBgX4AqjI52UrpNbvJo59Af1Tc4FDEzMQsbSMEFOi_FSBtiJVOC9IFju5VCK7cbEx7Ssg9sWwVdc6GZ5K99dP2LGDeK

In all honesty I'm really flexible on these.  Feel free to change my class and recruitment information to whatever you find convenient for the story.  The only demand I really have is that my role as the main developer (specifically the one responsible for game design) for the original incarnation of Serenes Forest Emblem be referenced somewhere.  Or you could just make me an annoying traveling preacher or something like that who tries to shove SRPG Studio down people's throats.

And as some general advice I'd consider imposing some limits on the class composition of the playable roster if possible.  I remember in the Serenes Forest Emblem days we had four playable roster applicants who requested Shaman as their class and one who requested Druid, which was ridiculous.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

Was also planned for the original, so I guess I’ll sign up for this as well. One problem though: I have no idea how to make portraits. Is there some sort of easy-to-use program I can use? And do you have a deadline for when these portraits should be submitted?

Anyway, onto the rest of the profile:

Character Name: Anathaco

Forum name: Anathaco

Class: Warrior

Affiliation: Protagonists 

Recruitment: Either automatic, or have lord talk with him (starts as enemy)

Recruitment Time: Late game, maybe around chapter 20 or so (I still consider myself new to the forums, so a late recruit makes sense)

Other: In terms of stats, has very high strength, luck and skill, but low everything else. In terms of character, a generally quiet person who avoids speaking up so as not to draw attention to himself/step on anyone’s toes. Sometimes displays a sadistic side on the battlefield, which leads to others avoiding him- not as if he ever notices or cares.

Edited by Anathaco

31 minutes ago, Anathaco said:

One problem though: I have no idea how to make portraits. Is there some sort of easy-to-use program I can use? And do you have a deadline for when these portraits should be submitted?

There should not be a deadline in place that I'm aware of.  For GBA-style portraits with transparent backgrounds I use Usenti.  You can still use it to give your portrait a transparent background even if you're not adhering to GBA Fire Emblem standards.

Well since I was one of the manakete character's last time I guess I could do it again

Character name: Corra

Forum Name: Edelgard Hresvelg Targaryen

Class: Manakete

Affiliation: Protagonist

Recruitment: If @Ice Dragon and @thecrimsonflash want to do this again around the same time they are or when you figure out the shapeshifting characters.

Late recruitment around chapter 18

Other: High Strength, Ok magic, speed, and Dex, High def and res.

I'll add her portrait later shoutout to @Waleed for making it.

Edited by EdelgardHresvelgTargaryen

11 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, I didn't joined up the last time just to have it going nowhere. So count me in for this revival.

Say, how much "complete" must the template be? I could put something up right now; but I don't have say, a portrait at the moment. Also don't exactly know what to put on the Other category. Feels too broad right now, haha.

[Insert Template Here]

As long as you have the basic information, you should be fine. I have you down to be part of the initial starting party.

The "Other" information is mostly for flavor and extra customization. The more fleshed out a character is, the more I have to work with when it comes to coming up with stuff for the overall storyline and setting.

Some questions though:
1. What would you "Assets / Strengths" be? (High STR, High DEF, etc.)
2. How should I write your character (Character tropes, basic personalities, "It's like this FE character," etc.)

3 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Guess I might as well pitch in and continue showing my support for these endeavors.

[Insert Template Here]

In all honesty I'm really flexible on these.  Feel free to change my class and recruitment information to whatever you find convenient for the story.  The only demand I really have is that my role as the main developer (specifically the one responsible for game design) for the original incarnation of Serenes Forest Emblem be referenced somewhere.  Or you could just make me an annoying traveling preacher or something like that who tries to shove SRPG Studio down people's throats.

And as some general advice I'd consider imposing some limits on the class composition of the playable roster if possible.  I remember in the Serenes Forest Emblem days we had four playable roster applicants who requested Shaman as their class and one who requested Druid, which was ridiculous.

At the moment I have you down as a Druid, as joining up in the Mid-Game are chapters 13-18, which is T2. If you rather be a Sniper (or a high level Archer) instead, let me know!

The current idea of referencing Serenes Emblem is that your character is a traveler from another timeline / reality that somehow ended up in Tears of Serenia. Perhaps the character was a renowned historian, but the history of ToS differs from that of Serenes Emblem. Will this work?

As for class limits, getting on that right now.

18 minutes ago, Sire said:

At the moment I have you down as a Druid, as joining up in the Mid-Game are chapters 13-18, which is T2. If you rather be a Sniper (or a high level Archer) instead, let me know!

The current idea of referencing Serenes Emblem is that your character is a traveler from another timeline / reality that somehow ended up in Tears of Serenia. Perhaps the character was a renowned historian, but the history of ToS differs from that of Serenes Emblem. Will this work?

All this sounds fine.  Thank you.

Might as well throw my hat in the ring

Character Name: Pengaius

Forum Name: Pengaius

Character Class: Ranger

Affiliation: Antagonist (like an enemy general who's hyped up a little and shows up from time to time so the villain has somebody to deliver exposition to, e.g Valter, Petrine, Death Knight (the way he's intended to be portrayed, not ooh! free dark seal)

Stage: Late Game

Notable features High defense stats

Other, Likes butter and is somewhat honourable, but is wholly devoted to the antagonists mission, fights for personal freedom. 

Portrait

IMG_6731.PNG

Edited by Pengaius

What an interesting project! Unfortunately, I'm not good at making FE games so I'm afraid I won't be able to contribute much to this.

Good luck! I'm looking forward to your progress!

Aw, no knives? What a shame. I shall have to adjust my approach to enforcing indelible good.

Character Name: Anonymous
Forum Name: AnonymousSpeed
Class: Bishop

Affiliation: Main Antagonist
Recruitment: Clear the Lagdou Ruins 5,000,000,000 times
Recruitment Time: Creature Campaign

96 x 96 Face Portrait:  image.png.3a4ffe1a67e70bf204c7c0e088d498d2.png (Tentatively)

Other Notes: Free-thinking radical anarchist, will force people to be free against their will

Character Name: Corbin 
Forum Name: Corrobin
Class: Mage

Recruitment: Rescue me from a prison in a castle level! I'm being held captive as I rebelled against a noble enemy and was captured.
Recruitment Time: Fairly early, I'm probably the second Mage you can get.

Other Notes: A sarcastic but likable underdog. The slower but more powerful mage with more raw Magic and Resistance.

(Portrait to come)

Edited by Corrobin

Discord Link: <removed>

Gonna leave a link to the Discord here. It has some moderation (I need to assign new members a proper role to actually use the Discord), but hopefully that won't be too big of a deal.

Edited by Sire

I was a part of the other one, but it kinda died. So here I am.

Name: Echo

Forum name: GreatKnightEcho 

Class: Preist

Recruitment Time: Early Game (late in the early game though, just before the mid game starts).

Recruitment: Auto at start of chapter.

Portrait: (see below)

Other: High HP, Mag, Def, and Res; Low Dex/Skl, Luck, and extremely low Spd. Personality would be somewhat snarky, but still overall kind-hearted (think Azama, but an actual decent character and without the nihilism). Backstory: He used to be a knight under the evil nation, until he realized "o shit, they're evil" and left to become a priest.

echo2.png

11 hours ago, Sire said:

As long as you have the basic information, you should be fine. I have you down to be part of the initial starting party.

The "Other" information is mostly for flavor and extra customization. The more fleshed out a character is, the more I have to work with when it comes to coming up with stuff for the overall storyline and setting.

Some questions though:
1. What would you "Assets / Strengths" be? (High STR, High DEF, etc.)
2. How should I write your character (Character tropes, basic personalities, "It's like this FE character," etc.)

Okay, edited the post to add that in. Or a first draft of it, anyway.

I probably won't get around to making a portrait for a while (a month or so at least) because I have exams right now. Hopefully that's alright.

22 hours ago, EdelgardHresvelgTargaryen said:

Recruitment: If @Ice Dragon and @thecrimsonflash want to do this again around the same time they are or when you figure out the shapeshifting characters.

Yeah, I can reprise. I was unfortunately super busy for the past few months, but things have quieted down some, so I should be a bit more attentive this time around.

@Sire I'll write up my application soon. Today's going to be somewhat hectic.

Here's Cora - a manakete retainer chosen by the goddess of Serenia to watch over her daughter Emiri, she works alongside Crimson who tends to  get on her nerves for how much Crimson slacks, is dutiful, prideful, and doesn't really understand human nature.

violaSplice.png.b8f41bd3dbe14ee7c096241587a19d64 (1).png

Edited by EdelgardHresvelgTargaryen

Could I submit the Camus Archetype if so here she is but she doesn't get recruited until Lagdou Ruins

Edelgard Von Hresvelg - Eisner - the Emperor of The Adrestian Empire  was summoned here by(Final Dragon Boss) and forced to fight against your army but remains loyal due to the fact that (he or she) holds the man she loves captive(Byleth)

0diqevf9ryc31.png

0uikq8hg71m31.png

2 hours ago, EdelgardHresvelgTargaryen said:

Here's Cora - a manakete retainer chosen by the goddess of Serenia to watch over her daughter Emiri, she works alongside Crimson who tends to  get on her nerves for how much Crimson slacks, is dutiful, prideful, and doesn't really understand human nature.

violaSplice.png.b8f41bd3dbe14ee7c096241587a19d64 (1).png

Isn't it normally the case that a year's aging for a human is about 100 years for a Manakete and not 1000?  Tiki in Marth's time is about 1100, Myrrh is about 1200, and Nowi is "a thousand ...something".  Also, Emiri is the goddess's daughter, right?

2 hours ago, EdelgardHresvelgTargaryen said:

Could I submit the Camus Archetype if so here she is but she doesn't get recruited until Lagdou Ruins

Edelgard Von Hresvelg - Eisner - the Emperor of The Adrestian Empire  was summoned here by(Final Dragon Boss) and forced to fight against your army but remains loyal due to the fact that (he or she) holds the man she loves captive(Byleth)

(pictures)

First of all, this is not an FE8 hack, but an SRPG Studio game like Sanctaea Chronicles, so expect it to look similar.  I also very much doubt the Lagdou Ruins are supposed to be a thing, and am unsure as to the nature of the final boss.

The idea of including THE Edelgard into the game, playable or enemy, is also problematic.  She and Byleth are actual Fire Emblem characters and not based on any user from this site, unlike all of our other applicants so far.  Furthermore, among Tears of Serenia's existing classes, she'd probably fit the General class best, but since Generals wield Swords and Lances like in Path of Radiance, she would not be able to use Aymr.

Pity that the other project didn't go on. But I'm still game, but with a little twist..

Character Name: Kale K.
Forum Name: KKAfterbrun
Class: Thief

Recruitment: Talk with "Lord" in Chapter 7 (Green Unit)
Recruitment Time: Early-Game

96 x 96 Face Portrait:

1078503798_KKAfterbrunMug.png.791b29f2ebea10b18250eb72d3baf6ef.png

Other Notes: Well rounded speed and skill growth with an abnormally high base Res. Good base Strength but low Strength, Def, and Luck growth. He's somewhat egotistical, thinking of himself as a master thief, but falls short. More mischievous then dangerous, he's more known for sharp remarks, bad puns, and simple cons then killing.  He does have a kind heart, as he works out of a ruin settlement filled with orphans. Will fight to protect them, even at terrible odds. Shows up as the Boss in Chapter 4: Far From the Forest, paid by an unknown client under the premise that the hero's are child slavers.

On 10/15/2019 at 1:57 PM, Dandy Druid said:

What an interesting project! Unfortunately, I'm not good at making FE games so I'm afraid I won't be able to contribute much to this.

Good luck! I'm looking forward to your progress!

Update: learning how to edit sprites. Not going well so far lol

2 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

Update: learning how to edit sprites. Not going well so far lol

As in portraits?  If you want to participate, don't worry too much about making them fit GBA standards.  SRPG Studio games aren't bound by those.

10/18/2019 Report (Links to the other topic)

Regarding portraits, remember that they don't have to be in GBA style. They just need to be 96x96, transparent, and reflective of your forum persona. I know this will likely bring about plenty of odd-looking "face portraits," but I think that's fine for the nature of this fangame. Having Serenia be a diverse place may be interesting to see.

Lastly, there is no real deadline for character applications. The only "soft-deadline" is when I actually get to work as I would like to have characters done in the chapter they debut in. However, we need a Lord, a Jeigan, and maybe some more starting party members before I can really start progressing on this front.

Edited by Sire

22 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

As in portraits?  If you want to participate, don't worry too much about making them fit GBA standards.  SRPG Studio games aren't bound by those.

Yep! I'm trying to learn how to make portraits. I do have an idea for a character though. I'm thinking of either a Mid-game bard or an early game cavalier. Either way, this character will most likely be a flirt.