Tears of Serenia - Boss Recruitment

Sire

4 hours ago, KevinskyHaaz said:

I absolutely adore this idea. I've always treasured the idea of Fire Emblem losing its main characters/lords and instead just having the party. It emphasizes the importance of every team member instead of the leader always being the only one receiving the praise. Yes!

The problem with that is that it is difficult to implement permadeath and larger casts, there needs to be a leader of sorts, or a go to character to be the primary driving force behind the party, I am all for having more characters be important in the story, but not having a protagonist in general can make things feel off in the context of plot progression. This isn't a four man team like final fantasy 3 where the guy you start with slowly integrates into a small party and everyone feels important, this is a large group of 14 to 50 where someone needs to drive the story along, not everyone can be important without reducing team numbers to below 10 and even then not everyone can be seen as equally important.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

The problem with that is that it is difficult to implement permadeath and larger casts, there needs to be a leader of sorts, or a go to character to be the primary driving force behind the party, I am all for having more characters be important in the story, but not having a protagonist in general can make things feel off in the context of plot progression. This isn't a four man team like final fantasy 3 where the guy you start with slowly integrates into a small party and everyone feels important, this is a large group of 14 to 50 where someone needs to drive the story along, not everyone can be important without reducing team numbers to below 10 and even then not everyone can be seen as equally important.

It's actually quite doable, you know. To give an example, take the SRW games. They have big casts; and practically everybody is important at some point or another. It's true they don't all have the same average overall importance... but ultimately, so what? Why does everyone has to have the same level of importance? Personally, I'm the kind of guy who would not mind not being much important. Won't mind either if I am given more to do... but I won't mind if I don't get that, either.

Anyway, to give a more proper example of how it can be pulled off, there's SRW games Compact and Alpha Gaiden. Unlike other SRW games, those two don't have a central protagonist. The group itself has leader(s) (usually the battleship captains; and then they have an overall leader); but they aren't any more or any less important to the plot than the rest of the group on average. They manage to tell a story without someone taking center stage and groups at times taking turns being important. It's quite the group-driven plot; and it works, even if not everyone has the same imortance overall.

So yes, it's quite doable and doesn't have to feel off.

Yeah, sorry I think I did a bad job of conveying what I meant. I never used the word 'equal' but it may have come off that way still.

What I meant was that I am just not a fan of how most Fire Emblem protagonists always seemed to be praised to no end. 3 Houses was amazing, but damn, do the characters ever thank anyone other than Byleth for their victories? It's honestly kind of comedic when the whole party walks into the room at the same time and simultaneously goes "WE WON THIS FIGHT BECAUSE OF YOU PROFESSOR. THANK YOU."

Anyway, I just hope that we feel like more of a party working together, rather than a mob following two to three people.

• Character name: Rosie
  • Forum name: Lysithea
  • Class: any lance using class
  • Portrait: Like Rosalina from Super Mario series with a ponytail
  • Affiliation: Protagonist
  • Recruitment: End of a chapter if a side objective was fulfilled
  • Recruitment: Save her Lumas and she will join the end of a chapter. Of course replace the Lumas with something else, she will only join if you saved something for her in the chapter
  • Face portrait: Like Rosalina from the Super Mario series but with a ponytail. 
  • Personality: A kinda mysterious and glamourous young girl who is a bit cautious at first, but will open up if you got her trust. Whenever someone comes to her aid, she will retaliate at once. 
  • Statspread: A lance user with affinity for magic lances, means a decent magic growth. Otherwise she should be sorta fast, but fragile (low HP and defense).
Edited by Lysithea

now that I've reached the recruitment part of the application I am realizing, if there's no "lord" then how should recruitment be handled? For now I can at least put down what chapter I'm thinking, but I'm not sure if we're all supposed to just become more specific about recruitment conditions or if there's some other option

5 hours ago, Freohr Datia said:

now that I've reached the recruitment part of the application I am realizing, if there's no "lord" then how should recruitment be handled? For now I can at least put down what chapter I'm thinking, but I'm not sure if we're all supposed to just become more specific about recruitment conditions or if there's some other option

For normal default recruitment, maybe you can recruit anybody with anybody, but the best recruiter to recruit a new recruit is the person with the highest stat or stats most relevant to the recruit's class.

So like if you want to recruit a mage, send a person with the highest Magic and/or Resistance to recruit the new mage.

And if you send a fighter or something with low Magic and Resistance, there is higher chance of not being able to recruit the new mage.

@Lysithea I have designed a portrait (as best I could) for you, you do not have to use it, you may supply any other 96x96 jpeg or png file of your choice, it does not have to be in the GBA style. 

If anybody else is struggling with a portrait I would be more than happy to help you to the best of my ability. 

See attached image for the portrait. 

IMG_6829.JPG

alrighty, I think I've finally made this submittable enough! I am a little busy with an art commission right now so I'm making slow progress on the portrait thing, but I will get around to it!!

Character Name: Eithne Istalri
Forum Name: Freohr Datia
Class: Archer/Sniper (depending on when she joins)

Affiliation: Protagonist
Recruitment: Probably in chapter 16 since that one has no character associated with it yet. If we have a lord then she can be recruited by speaking to the lord. But if there’s no lord, then I guess either speak to an applicable character or just get recruited upon chapter completion?
Recruitment Time: Act 3

96 x 96 Face Portrait:
eBs3eRa.png

Other Notes:

assets / flaws: +spd / -def

Personality: Eithne is cheerful, friendly, and compassionate, but at the same time naïve, dependent, and can make snap judgements. She is a young noble who was drawn to the bow during her training growing up, but has no actual wish to fight as she dislikes violence. But the state of Serenia has given her the resolve to take action to help out the people of the country. She’s had her hand held a lot growing up which is what caused her to become quite dependent on others, which she felt really bad about once she realized it. This is an additional reason she wants to start fighting for Serenia. All of the destruction she witnessed was very eye-opening for her.

As a note, I’m flexible on when she’s recruited, like if an archer is needed sooner than act 3 I’m fine with it being bumped up! I can reword her motivation for fighting just based on what’s going on in the story at the time (like I could make the ~disaster~ more personal to her like some attack on her town/city or family or something).

Edited by Freohr Datia

On 11/9/2019 at 4:31 AM, thecrimsonflash said:

I agree with this if someone want's permadeath then there would need to be a leader of sorts 

I actually came up with this idea that @Von Ithipathachai be the main lord but he continues to reference the old Serenes Emblem world and no one understands what he's talking about but then I remembered that the main lord is sword locked.

On 11/9/2019 at 10:10 PM, Pengaius said:

See attached image for the portrait. 

[IMAGE]

Can you reupload this in a .PNG format? I'm wondering if the JPEG file ruined the image, or if the image just looks like that.

In other news..

- Dragon Axe has been claimed. It was supposed to be a Hero item, but I guess having a Dragon Weapon for the Antagonists work too. (If anything, blame the Protagonists for not claiming it sooner!)
The "Position" section has been reworked to reflect available positions instead of positions that have been closed off.

For those interested in joining, we have the following positions available. These will remain open until we reach the "character limit" of 30.
-- 7 Playable Applications remain.

Lord/Great Lord (1 slot available) <-- This class is not yet represented in ToS! // Also, this is just a class in ToS and is not reflective of "main character" status.
Myrmidon/Swordmaster (2 slots available)
Soldier (1 slot available)
Thief/Assassin (2 slots available)
Archer/Sniper/Ranger (2 slots available)
Knight/General (3 slots available) <-- This class is not yet represented in ToS!
Cavalier/Paladin (2 slots available)
Griffon Rider/Dragon Rider (2 slots available)
Bishop/Inquisitor (1 slot available)

3 hours ago, Sire said:

Can you reupload this in a .PNG format? I'm wondering if the JPEG file ruined the image, or if the image just looks like that.

No, that is what it looks like, however I think this version looks a lot less MS paint. If anybody particularly cares it's just Leila with a photoshopped Lyn ponytail. 

Untitled18_20191113020003.png

Character Name: Cartwright (They/Them)
Forum Name: JCartwright
Class: Myrmidon (More like Mercenary) (Also willing to take Main Lord position)

Affiliation: Protagonist
Recruitment: Opening party, within first three chapters OR first chapter of Act 2
Main Appearance: Act 1 or 2

96 x 96 Face Portrait:

Whomst.png.2ca4a9e559478594c556431153c0dc0a.png

Other Notes: As a long-time lurker (I've posted precisely once and that did not go so well ope), I think a character that was like "Well I guess I'm here now. You don't really know me but that's okay. Let's do the thing!" would be pretty funny. If they were the lord, the vibe would be "I'm as surprised about this as you are." If they were a supporting character in the starting party, they would be a little more like Kellam, "Yeah, I've been here the whole time. You didn't see me. I get it. No, it's uh . . . I'm fine." If they were an Act 2 recruit, they would be more confident. "Yeah, I'm a random helpful stranger. We'll talk later. Let's kick *** first." They are very sincere and hard-working, if not a little unsure of what to do at times. The other characters know Cartwright has their back, and will fight for them when needed.

As far as stats go, from highest priority to lowest, they would go: Speed, Strength, Skill, Resistance, Defense, HP, Luck. HP and Luck can be abysmal. Def, Res, and Skill can be medium. Strength would be above average and Speed would be a pretty guaranteed double throughout the game. (I'm also a fan of Nino/Est types with low level and average bases but high growths.)

Edited by JCartwright
Wow Face Portrait! Thanks @Pengaius

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got together with a friend of mine and we managed to make this portrait. My friend Fusionoftheaces did the heavy lifting on this one, with input from me. I like how it came out. I'm not sure if I need to upload it as a certain file format or anything, just let me know if this doesn't work. Fusion doesn't have a SF account that I know of, but big thanks to him for this!

1294691669_FireEmblemPortraitbyGabrielJacobsonfinal.png.ef656823b827c6d09ba6c90bd154c346.png

Edited by MegaTheGamer

@JCartwright, If your still looking for a portrait, I'd like to offer this one (its in low resolution cause SF won't let me post large pics, but I can send the high(er) quality version over Discord onto you or Sire). It's a very basic Nino over Wil. Since you didn't specify any gender, went for a more andro Lewyn (based on your profile pic) in basic combat gear. I can redo to be more masculine or more feminine if you want. 

Untitled19_20191130224701.png

Character Name: Ruben
Forum Name: Saint Rubenio
Class: Lord

Affiliation: Protagonist (starts as an enemy)
Recruitment: Talk with Kinsey if none of the units under his command are killed. If any of his units are killed after turning green, he leaves after the chapter. More details below.
Main Appearance: Act 2 (chapter 10)

Portrait (prior to recruitment):

Joqr5q6p o

Portrait (after recruitment):

Cjmt5quf o

Other Notes:

An idea for a backstory: Originally a tactician of Serenia's army under Kinsey, Ruben was a kind-hearted, but incompetent leader. During the invasion of Serenia, his bad leadership killed his entire batallion, and he was subsequently kicked out of the army, just barely avoiding being court-martialled. He was crushed by these events, becoming a bitter, self-doubting man. When the Antagonist took over Serenia, he found and offered to hire Ruben to his own army, having received a mistaken report from Pengaius that he was actually a brilliant strategist. He accepted the offer, not out of loyalty to the Antagonist but because he was determined to prove to himself and to his old superiors that he could do something right. He was granted a platoon of his own, and developed a bond with them, as they took a liking to the kind and funny personality that lied underneath his bitterness.

During act 2, he was sent to the frontlines with his men to vanquish the Serenian army. At this point, he began to wonder if joining up was a mistake, as he still couldn't trust his own abilities, and feared that he would lose just as before and go through the pain of watching everyone under his command die again. He frantically requested reinforcements, but was denied them and ordered to fight to the last, as any survivors would be executed. He regrets joining the Antagonist, and apologizes to his units, at this point sure that they will all die in that battle.

In-game: In chapter 10, he appears as the boss, with a bunch of infantry units (no horsemen - this is a very important detail) covering the ground in front of him (maybe call them "Ruben's unit" to tell them apart). They don't move unless a player unit enters their range, as he's too scared to order them to charge. The idea is that it's impossible to reach him in one turn without entering his units' range, so the player has to devise a strategy to move closer without killing them. If any of his units die, he snaps and begins moving with his remaining units in the next enemy phase.

His recruitment would be something along the lines of "you may not be talented, but you're a good guy, we spared you before because of that and I still don't want to kill you now". Convinced, he becomes a green unit alongside his units, who are more loyal to him than the Antagonist. If any of them are killed at this point, he'll leave at the end of the chapter, insisting that somebody like himself would only be a hindrance. However, if his entire platoon lives, he'll gain a newfound confidence in himself, and will agree to remain in the army and help in the war against the Antagonist.

Personality: self-deprecating and sarcastic, with a tendency to ramble about the most inconsequential things. Uses exotic swears and insults (look up Tintin's Captain Haddock). He thinks he has the worst luck. He also hates horses and horsemen, relating to an event from his childhood where his village was razed to the ground by brigands on horseback. He admires mages and wishes he could use magic himself.

Statwise: Middling stats all around, with particularly lacking strength, defense and HP, but high speed. He's more of a support unit, thanks to Lord's leadership skills.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

having received a mistaken report from Pengaius that he was actually a brilliant strategist.

In my defence, I assumed that “responsible for the total annihilation of a Serenian battalion" meant he defeated them in battle, not ordered them to their deaths. 

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

When the Antagonist took over Serenia, he found and offered to hire Ruben to his own army, having received a mistaken report from Pengaius that he was actually a brilliant strategist.

3 hours ago, Pengaius said:

In my defence, I assumed that “responsible for the total annihilation of a Serenian battalion" meant he defeated them in battle, not ordered them to their deaths. 

I'm uncertain how mad I should be at you for this.

Well then!:

Character name: Espurr

Forum Name: Espurrhoodie

Class: Bishop.

Affiliation: Protagonist.

Recruitment: recruited automatically after finishing the chapter you fight her in as a boss.

Main appearance: Act 2, but she pops in occasionally during Act 1 as comic relief.

Portrait: @Fenreir made this for me for Serenes Emblem, but unfortunately, I don't think it's big enough:

esp.png

I also feel like an edit of someone like Nino would fit better since she keeps getting confused for a 12 year old even though she's in her late teens.

Other notes: high skill, high speed, decent attack, mediocre def, okay res, and awkward luck. Pretty much a magical mymidon/dodgetank. (If you allow custom skills, maybe give her Defiance to enforce her niche?) Comes with Shine and a Mend staff. Her personality is that she's a sarcastic, oblivious airhead who dislikes jabs at her height and her youthful appearance and isn't real good with strangers. She is well aware that she's not the brightest bulb of the bunch, however, she obsesses over the history and mythology/folklore of Serenia (and areas beyond) and pointless trivia. She is the only daughter of the minor noble house of Hoodie. Once well known for its mages and healers, the house fell from grace after an unknown (and complicated) incident involving yodeling, glue, grapes, and a worm on a string (something that should be noted is that whenever someone asks her about said incident is that she always changes what was involved. No one knows if she's lying or if it truly was that ridiculous). Her parents attempted to marry her off to a rich nobleman, but she ran away on the day of her supposed wedding due to her dislike of her fiance's constant ramblings of free $1000 dollar giftcards and free iPhones (feel free to substitute the giftcards and iPhones with whatever you feel like since it's a joke about scam ads). To prevent her parents from marrying her off again, she signed up for the war. Unfortunately, she signed up for the wrong side and isn't aware of it. She realises her mistake later.

Edited by Espurrhoodie

20 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I'm uncertain how mad I should be at you for this.

Ehhhehhehh, uh..., he might, take some of them out by accident...maybe?

@JCartwright

More masc, gotcha, if you need a real Buffdude McGee, I can sort that as well, but I think this might be a bit better than the Ninowil in the meantime. 

Untitled20_20191202202008.png