Skipping

Zanarkin

So how much does skipping hurt you actually? I have been wondering this since finishing my first playthrough, where i skipped classes and monthly events after the 2nd month of part 2. It didn't seem to hurt me much then, but i was playing normal/classic so i can't assume it would hurt too much in that mode. However, how much would it hurt to skip throughout the whole game in hard? Maddening?

My only reason for asking this is because exploring feels super tedious. It was fine at first, but after a few explorations, talking to the students and exploring a huge temple over and over again for a few items, professor levels, and quests became really boring, really fast.

Well the issue is that auto-tutoring is bad to begin with(you know how tutoring has "Good" "Great" and "Perfect" results, right? Well last time I checked, which was a while ago admittedly, when it comes to auto-tutoring only the "Good" result exists), but on top of that, resting would only get you half motivation in a majority of cases. Roughly, this should halve your wexp gains from the monastery on your main skill, which obviously can be pretty hurtful. Auto-tutoring will also never raise movement proficiencies afaik.

Outside of that, you do also miss out on:
- Farming for stat boosters
- Getting weapon ranks for Byleth period
- Recruiting students
- A considerable amount of free stuff and a lot of money
- Likely a bunch of other things I'm not remembering right now

So, it would definitely hurt quite a bit. Wouldn't make the thing unbeatable even on Maddening though, I don't think. But since the name of the game is "prevail, or turtle", let's just say you likely wouldn't be winning any LTC contest.

Early on I don't advise ever not exploring or battling. However, once you get toward the end of the game and all your units are in their final classes, you can rest and auto-instruct pretty safely.

7 hours ago, Cysx said:

Well the issue is that auto-tutoring is bad to begin with(you know how tutoring has "Good" "Great" and "Perfect" results, right? Well last time I checked, which was a while ago admittedly, when it comes to auto-tutoring only the "Good" result exists), but on top of that, resting would only get you half motivation in a majority of cases. Roughly, this should halve your wexp gains from the monastery on your main skill, which obviously can be pretty hurtful. Auto-tutoring will also never raise movement proficiencies afaik.

Outside of that, you do also miss out on:
- Farming for stat boosters
- Getting weapon ranks for Byleth period
- Recruiting students
- A considerable amount of free stuff and a lot of money
- Likely a bunch of other things I'm not remembering right now

So, it would definitely hurt quite a bit. Wouldn't make the thing unbeatable even on Maddening though, I don't think. But since the name of the game is "prevail, or turtle", let's just say you likely wouldn't be winning any LTC contest.

1 hour ago, De Geso said:

Early on I don't advise ever not exploring or battling. However, once you get toward the end of the game and all your units are in their final classes, you can rest and auto-instruct pretty safely.

Thank you both for the replies. It is what i feared but oh well. I suppose exploring can be done a bit better just by focusing a bit more rather than wandering around.

You can try to narrow down and focus only on the activities that matter the most. Talking to everyone, for example, only gives you a bit of backstory and occasionally some Support points. Walking around can give you some Professor XP and items, if you can find a guide for the locations that give you Professor XP you can optimize that a bit, otherwise, the XP is only a fraction of the higher Professor level requirements, so you're not missing that much. Fishing (and buying bait) does give a lot of XP (and decent money), but also takes a long time to cash in, so it's up to personal preference how to approach it.

But on the whole, if you come in with a plan and do just the following:

- (Optional) Give gifts to the students you want to motivate/increase support with

- Spend all your activity points (if you are not using gifts, remember to have lunch with the students you want motivated, otherwise you can spend more on Faculty training or Arena for Professor XP - You can skip through each Arena battle by pressing B)

- Do gardening (it's very fast and gives a decent chunk of XP and items, including stat boosters)

- (Once per month) Buy whatever items with limited availability you decide that you need (gifts/bait)

- (Once per month) Accept all quests, do the ones you feel like doing

- Spend Renown

You'll be missing only on minor ammounts of XP/Gold/Support/Backstory while not spending that much time on Explore days (especially after the first one of the month, where you'll take care of quests and marketplace)