Im a big, whitewing-less idiot

Nah, you're just living up to your username, lmao.  "Wingless dummy" seems a bit too self-depreciating for my liking, but "wingless" actually seems like an unironically good username.

Should be noted that if you do get them (which you do by talking to them in the port town after "rescuing" them from bandits), you have to go through the desert part of Celica's story and rescue Est to keep them.  If you try to move too far north without rescuing Est, they'll abandon you and go back to the port town you found them in.

I'm not too sure if I'd recommend playing through the game all over again just to get them, but all three of the Whitewings are really great units, especially in Celica's route which is riddled with maps with difficult terrain that bog down non-flying units.

4 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

If you try to move too far north without rescuing Est, they'll abandon you and go back to the port town you found them in.

You can just go back to the port town and recruit them again (I think Atlas also returns to his initial recruitment place if you head north as well), as I did on my first run. I went north to save the kid in the dungeon to the north, that one of the villagers told me about. It seemed urgent but wasn't because it was a videogame side quest.

12 hours ago, Rezzy said:

I guess it will make you try new things and have a bit of a self imposed challenge for this run.

More like "self imposed slog".  Doing those swamp battles without a pegasus knight is the least fun "challenge" I can think of.

15 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

You can just go back to the port town and recruit them again (I think Atlas also returns to his initial recruitment place if you head north as well), as I did on my first run.

That was the implication when I said "they go back to the port town you find them in".

Though now that I think about it I don't actually know if you can go back to get them in Act 4.  I just assumed you couldn't, but I actually saw proof that you would lose them permanently upon reaching Act 4.

On 10/15/2019 at 8:21 PM, Ertrick36 said:

Nah, you're just living up to your username, lmao.  "Wingless dummy" seems a bit too self-depreciating for my liking, but "wingless" actually seems like an unironically good username.

Should be noted that if you do get them (which you do by talking to them in the port town after "rescuing" them from bandits), you have to go through the desert part of Celica's story and rescue Est to keep them.  If you try to move too far north without rescuing Est, they'll abandon you and go back to the port town you found them in.

I'm not too sure if I'd recommend playing through the game all over again just to get them, but all three of the Whitewings are really great units, especially in Celica's route which is riddled with maps with difficult terrain that bog down non-flying units.

I have Est and I did a bit of grinding with her since she started out so shitty (is this just a thing with pegasus knights?) so the swamp missions went okay. The main strategy I ended up resorting to for those was placing Genny in the swamp since she's unaffected by the terrain damage and making the units I needed on the other side pass her so theyd lose the 5HP from the swamp and gain them back via Genny's Soothing Light.

It was a bit of a hassle but I managed lol

27 minutes ago, wingless dummy said:

I have Est and I did a bit of grinding with her since she started out so shitty (is this just a thing with pegasus knights?)

No, it's a thing with Est and those of her "archetype" - the young knight who joins really late with low stats, but has the growth rates to easily become extremely good.

Catria and Palla start off pretty well in this game.  Good enough that they are able to hold their own when fighting off the bandits attacking them in their first gameplay appearance.  And good enough that you wouldn't need to baby them nearly as much as you did for Est; maybe somewhat for Catria, but they're pretty usable at start.

Still, Gaiden/Shadows of Valentia is not when those two were at their best (yes, the Whitewings appeared in multiple games).  That would go to Mystery of the Emblem: Book 2/New Mystery of the Emblem.  But this is probably Est's best appearance because it's easier to train her in this game than in the other games she appears in.

28 minutes ago, wingless dummy said:

It was a bit of a hassle but I managed lol

Like I said, it's a slog more than it is a challenge.

40 minutes ago, wingless dummy said:

I actually did get him (by complete accident) and you didnt miss much lmao 

You miss him getting back massages from Celica...

It's... well, I wouldn't have minded missing it.